Fragrance Reviews from November 2004

swalker's avatar

Douce Amère by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Definitely distinctive. The absinthe in the fragrance adds a mysterious element that isn't common in many scents. It begins with a strong candy-like element, but quickly dies down to a mellower, more complex blend. Everyone who has smelled it loves it, but it wears incredibly close to the skin on me. For the price, a tad bit more sillage and lasting power might be nice.

28 November, 2004

moonrat's avatar

Wild Country by Avon

Wild Country has a nice vanilla that is not too sweet mixed with a spicy coriander. It seems to me it’s a little like Canoe with slightly more spice. A nice casual scent, it goes well in most daytime events. Seems to remind me of a barber shop fragrance. Possibly more of a cool weather scent, it is still good for all but the most hot and humid days.

moonrat's avatar

Darkness by John Williams

I saw this at an outdoor swap meet and purchased it for $20 (100 ml). A little high, but comparable to the current online price if you add shipping and handling. I went straight for it since it has been highly praised by some people here on the boards. At first whiff at the swap meet, it smelled pretty good. The bottle was one of the nicer ones I have seen in quite a while, with a unique swiveling plexiglass “cap”. So I bought it. Once I got it home I gave it another try. I was expecting something deep and dark in the vein of Quorum or such. It turns out it is more a somewhat deep, but heavily sweet fragrance. It didn’t seem to have much of a change when it dried down other than becoming sweeter. I became more and more aware of it’s increasing heavy sweetness. Not sure if I want to wear this much, it is so sweet that is almost sickeningly sweet.

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

I'm not an admirer of sweet fragrances but this one is a soft sweet scent that I appreciate. Good for wearing in the office and in sunny days although I think It´s too subtle to be worn in the evening. I really like the musk note: It warms the scent!

Ungaro I by Ungaro

Absolutely Amazing!!
    Very manly and well balanced spicy fragrance!
    Try to think of it as S.T. Dupont Signature without the sweetness. Very, very, good!

Ungaro II by Ungaro

For me Ungaro II is the only spicy floral I can tolerate! This one is everything Givenchy Insense wanted to be but It's not.
    I particularly prefer Ungaro I (which I think is more masculine)
    This one is a little strong but very chic and sexy. Women love it! Just take care not to overapply.

caribou55313's avatar

Iris Poudre by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

This. Is. Glorious. Very refined, powdery, unsweet woodsy iris, with some sharp aldehydic topnotes. Feels like the very heart of what I love in Chanel No. 19. Austere, brilliant, meditative. Not sensual in the least, but gravely beautiful. Puts me in mind of Kristin Scott Thomas in Angels & Insects.

caribou55313's avatar

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Aptly named, except for the fact that it is more amber than musk! this is ravishing, bold, sensual with woods and spices galore. Very full-bodied, cozy, sexy, stirs the imagination.

fiskadoro's avatar

Habanera by Hove Parfumeur

beautiful stuff... the tobacco note is prevalent throughout, and there's softer leathery/vanilla notes on the dry down. the scent lingers all day and smells very natural and unsynthetic.

GOOSEY's avatar

Sandalwood (original) by Crabtree & Evelyn

This is the most delicate, beautiful and awesome scent; I have been wearing it for 25 years! Now I can't find it anymore...HELP! Does anyone know where to buy this?

Naed_Nitram's avatar

Acqua di Parma Colonia by Acqua di Parma

I recall how once the Baron de Charlus, inspired by numerous glasses of wine, extolled to me in an inebriated ramble the several virtues of Acqua di Parma. 'Hmm, ha, yes,well, mon cher Nitram,' he began, 'flintlocks, filigree and fine old lace...that ancient air...hmm...an old chateau in the morning mist...ha...lemon and faded rose...exquisite!...my lady's wardrobe?...hum, perhaps...the old, the true aristocracy!...Monsieur le Duc....swathed in supreme citrus...carriages on cobbled streets...Acqua di Parma!...a gift for His Majesty!...all gone...faded glories...lost swan of youth...all...quite...gone...' At which point, having had one glass too many, the Baron surrendered to sleep.

Naed_Nitram's avatar

Balafre by Lancôme

Sagamore...Balafre...two poetic, Gothic names from Lancome. And, in the case of Balafre, a poetic, Gothic scent. Here is the castle door, here are the long, winding corridors down which this deep, elusive fragrance leads us, breathing of lost time, whispering of forgotten loves, and murmuring of improbable destinations.