Fragrance Reviews from December 2004

checker's avatar

Gendarme 20 by Gendarme

Another amazing scent by Gendarme. While it may have some similiarites to the original, you can definitely notice the difference! Has more of a floral drydown as opposed to Gendarme's leather note. Also 20 projects a lot more (doesnt stay close to the skin as much as the original) and is VERY long lasting.

MacCOOL's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Tom Prune Coral Island by Lily Prune

If you want something inexpensive but still smells very nice and refreshing, you should try this. It maybe worth your while. It doesn't last long though. Its good up to 3 hours.

USC2's avatar

Wild Country by Avon

Over the years I have tried many different scents and Wild Country is one of, if not the top on my short list of favorites. It has a clean, herbal, powdery scent that lasts all day and doesn’t grow tiring. Avon really did an outstanding job with this one, best of all it isn’t expensive.

Laemia's avatar

Bois et Fruits by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I just love Feminite du Bois much more then I can even say and I have to agree with Buffalo_Gals it does come very close to it's Mother. I've been wearing Feminite since 92 so I'm new to Bois et Fruits but if you happen to like Feminite du Bois I imagine you'll feel the same about this one. It doesn't seem to have the clove and cinnamon in it and those scents really cling to my skin and I love them. If you don't happen to like those two scents but you love cedar and sweet fruit you'll love this. It's similar but not the same and it's nice to have another to choose from especially since Feminite is discontinued.

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

For me, Azzaro is the scent of the scents! The number one! If you're looking for a real man fragrance, this is the one. Old school, delicious, potent! A scent that is not afraid of projeting itself. Simply OUTSTANDING!

Boucheron pour Homme by Boucheron

When I wear Boucheron, the image that comes to my mind is really related to its name: A beautifull golden jewel! Starts very lemony (I thought: hey, another imitation of Eau Sauvage...)but then dries down to something powdery (without loosing the citric smell, of course), classy, chic!
    It´s a versatile fragrance: weak enough to me worn in sunny days, strong/formal enough to be worn in the evening. A brilliant work! And on my skin, It lasts 5-6 hours.

Quasar by O Boticário

Similar to davidoff's cool water. If you're a fan of this kind of fragrance, go for it. Not my style.

Bijan for Men by Bijan

Classic, manly scent. Not for the faint of heart, as it is quite bold. Lasts a long time, and great for special evening occasions.

Burberry for Men by Burberry

Oh, what a wonderful scent! It's citrus quality is tamed by the masculine, musky bottom, giving it a pleasing quality. My only complaint with it is that it doesn't last too long on me. But nevertheless, I don't mind refreshing *this* scent at all! ;-)

Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert Extreme by Bulgari

Smells a lot like another unisex fragrance, Hermes' Un Jardin en Mediterranee. Both are very fresh and exude "greenness." However, I find either one to be incompatible with winter weather. Both also have a bit too much floral to them to be considered in any way masculine; but either one is worth a try. ;>

Jungle pour Homme by Kenzo

Love the bottle! The fragrance is definitely sexy and attracts a few sniffs from others! It is highly reminiscent of Eau D'Hermes, which seems to have more depth, IMO. I find that Jungle should be worn in moderation, for it can get a tad cloying if overapplied. Lasting power is okay, could be better.

03 December, 2004 (Last Edited: 29 January, 2005)

L'Eau par Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

Fresh, but soapy and doesn't last too long. I don't know if the lady's would go for it, IMO.

Portfolio for Men by Perry Ellis

Reminds me a lot of CK Crave, but more pleasing. It lasts and lasts, and though it has a youthful quality to it, I still find it to be a wonderful, all day fragrance. IMHO, to be worn especially for casual occasions.

Présence by Montblanc

Not bad at all. It is very reminiscent of Givenchy Pi and a tad like JPG Le Male, yet it has a simpler, pleasing quality to it. It lasts a long time, which is always a good thing. =>

Colours for Men by Alexander Julian

A wonderful, classic scent. Royal Copenhagen and Lagerfeld Classic are quite similar, but Colours has a smooth quality that you can *feel*. Very hard to find nowadays.

Truth Calvin Klein Men by Calvin Klein

A tremendously pleasing scent! I at first passed this fragrance up, thinking it to be another unspecial scent by Calvin Klein. But oh how wrong I was! So fresh and green, it is a breath of fresh air that stays clean. Doesn't last too long, alas, but still love it. ;-)

Geir by Geir Ness

Wow, so fresh and unique! I can't stop sniffing it when I wear it, and it exudes such positivity and confidence! Never been to Norway, but this scent gives me a hint of what it may feel like. ;>

Jivago 24k Men by Jivago

Very fresh, very uplifting. Suited for the evening, IMO. And the gold flake thingie is quite unique. :D

Kenzoair by Kenzo

A very nice fragrance by Kenzo. It reminds me of Sonia Rykiel Homme Grey in its spicy quality. My only complaints on this fine scent are on its longevity and somewhat unstable presence (at least on *my* skin), transforming from sweet to somewhat sour and then sweet again over time. Otherwise, I can dig this one. :^>

03 December, 2004 (Last Edited: 29 January, 2005)

Blu Notte pour Homme by Bulgari

What a wonderful, rare new addition to the Bulgari collection! Smelled it at the local Sephora, and fell in love! ;-) And I find it hard to like the other fragrances in Bulgari's line. So mellow, deep, and - dare I say - original in many ways.

Indie_Guy's avatar

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

I bought Kouros after getting Kouros Cologne Sport (a personal fave, warm and embracing, yet standoffishly odd and bitter), and the Cologne Sport Eau D'Ete Summer Version (Which is the safest scent yet to spring forth from the Kouros bloodline.) Well, the original Kouros took me a LONG time to warm up to. I would occasionally sniff it at a testing counter, and each time walk away with a frown. "Too dated, not for me", or "Damn that's some odd stuff!" Finally I snagged a bottle, and now I can see why it was such a big seller internationally. While its not going to be an everyday kind of scent, it is an essential "Rosetta Stone" in my collection. A scent both animalistic and otherworldly. Heaven and Hell collide in this ivory bottle.
    Kouros...My "White Devil"

Youth Dew by Estée Lauder

among the estee lauder fragrances, this is the only one that doesnt impress me...too strong, suitable for old women.

Pleasures by Estée Lauder

i love this!got a second bottle on this..long lasting, sweet, very feminine and elegant, so pleasant smelling.

Eau Parfumée au Thé Blanc by Bulgari

i love it! its very clean and fresh-smelling although not very long lasting unless applied liberally..light but elegant smell..this is my first Bulgari perfume..first smelled someone who just passed infront of me at the mall and i kept wondering what perfume she was using so i searched for it until i discovered its bulgari au the blanc, so when i knew that it was it, i got myself a bottle of it and now im enjoying the clean, innocent scent..amde to fit my lifestyle..easygoing and refreshing.

Duc de Vervins by Houbigant

A fine name, a fine bottle, a fine box, and a fine enough fragrance. But, as reviewers here and elsewhere have hinted, I can't see that it has much to offer that the grand old Drakkar Noir did not offer first.

G-man by Gainsboro

I bought a 15 ml miniature bottle of G-Man's aftershave out of sheer curiosity. It's quite well named. You might think that J. Edgar Hoover's boys should be dedicated wearers of clean cut citrus, but they could wear this one too: subdued yet smoky, formal administrative grey meets the grey of gunpowder, respectability with a hint of sex and danger. Long lasting and with some similarities to Trussardi Uomo.

Kipling by Weil

Did Weil intend the name Kipling to evoke Rudyard Kipling, poet of India, Empire, and the English countryside, or to evoke Mr. Kipling, that 'maker of most excellent cakes'? Or have I lost the plot completely on the naming of this fragrance? If Rudyard Kipling, it ought to be both more oriental-exotic and woodsy-rural; if Kipling of the Cakes, it ought to be more fruity-edible. What we actually get is refined spicy-woods somehat in the manner of Quorum by Puig. Since Quorum is one of my favourite fragrances, Kipling gets my vote too. If you don't like Quorum, I suppose you should avoid Kipling as well. Since it's discontinued, that's not hard to do.

Prof_S's avatar

Nicolaï pour Homme by Nicolaï

Strange but interesting stuff - quite different from anything else I’ve tried. De Nicolai’s site says there are also warm ingredients in it, but it smells cool and oddly melancholic to me. There’s mint in it, but not a candy-cane or Tic-Tac mint: maybe some wild herb in the mint family. I like it well enough to use it in warm weather for variety when I’m desperate for a change from citrus smells, but it really does not make me smile at every whiff like de Nicolai’s New York does. Certainly, no woman will be driven wild by the raw sexuality you exude (since you won’t) while wearing it.

Sir_Nose's avatar

Armani Eau Pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Looking at the limited fragrance notes involved, i can now understand why I found this a peaceful, lounge scent. Uncluttered, non-sensual but still refreshing after so many years

Sir_Nose's avatar

Herrera for Men by Carolina Herrera

This is truly the first ...that I'll ever develop an extreme aversion to. Top notes are too sweet and from the 2nd hour i start wondering if anyone can notice that i smell like a camel