Fragrance Reviews from February 2004

Effusion for Him by Iceberg

Effusion is a very weak, very bland and generic, fresh sporty scent. It truly only lasts all of 15 minutes. Though it supposedly has interesting notes in it like apple, rose and white cedar, all that shows up are the grapefruit and orange blossom notes, making it a very light powdery citrus. Even Adidas Moves and those tacky BOD sprays beat this one.

Joshaugustt's avatar

Booster by Lacoste

This is one of the very few fragrances that I really hated. The menthol/mint/eucalyptus is SO strong...that it smelled like Vicks Vapo Rub. It's just awful. If you love rubbing Vicks on your chest, you'll enjoy spraying this on the rest of your body. Big thumbs down. Josh A. USA 2-1/04

scentimus's avatar

Black by Kenneth Cole

If clean is sexy then this scent is the bomb...the sex bomb!
    I have yet to encounter a scent that has captured the sharp fresh wet notes of clean as Black. It is the scent of opening the wash after the last spin cycle....the snapping of a fresh clean t-shirt from your dresser....the electric scent of wet air after a thunderstorm...
    The scent does have a deeper darker smoky side that accents the freshness and give the scent deeper depth. In all this scent knocks out the first Kenneth Cole scent and is much more longer lasting, I found it lingering all day long. It is one of those scents that after awhile your nose will turn it off and you will not be able to smell on yourself so don't over do a good thing.

zedmore's avatar

Of a Man by Body Shop

pretty good stuff... almost like l'eau d'issey miyake, but not quite as light... i love how it smells, and it lasts a fairly long time... it may be fairly inexpensive, but its still very nice...

02nd February, 2004

John.com's avatar

Fieno / Hay by Santa Maria Novella

A surprise that caught me unaware. I'd invisioned a deplorable stink, a wet steaming barnyard to be precise, oh boy. Quite the contrary, SMN does it again with ingenuity and skill. Hay (aka Fieno), to me, is honeylike with mild spices, very nice.

03rd February, 2004

Ronald's avatar

Navegar by L'Artisan Parfumeur

A very pleasant surprise. Navegar is to my tastes the best L'Artisan that I have tried. Similar in some ways to CK Truth (or vice-versa) but less in-your-face - a sophisticated take on "green".

03rd February, 2004

Boss Number One by Hugo Boss

Eww. One of very few that I actually threw away......quite bad! Strong and a bit odd smelling. Like a 70's fragrance still in the creation stages that horribly went wrong. $20.00 down the tube. Versace's first mens fragrance, VERSACE L'Homme on the other hand is a real winner and from the same time period. Thank goodness for HUGO and BOSS #6.

04th February, 2004

Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Perfumery doesn't get much more creative than this - yes it smells a bit like peanut butter intially, but the doughy sandalwood is exquisite and constantly elicits compliments. This kind of creation is what makes L'Artisan so special.

04th February, 2004 (Last Edited: 14th January, 2006)

Eau d'Hermès by Hermès

I hate, I love it - my good friend Susie looked at me with a perfectly straightface and offered, "That has to be the msot disgusting thing I've ever smelled. Wash it off. Immediately." Yet somehow the scent of sweet leather and armpits in this scent is strangely interesting

04th February, 2004 (Last Edited: 30th October, 2005)

Un Jardin en Méditerranée by Hermès

Liked it but thought the Mastic tree note was a little too armpit-like for me to fully enjoy it, but after actually wearing it I am really happy with this fragrance. Completely unfloral and quite woodsy, this is a great all-year scent, reminds me a little bit of Miracle l'Aquatonic. Perfumebay writes:Un Jardin en Mediterranee is an emotional journey, an olfactory progress, an impressionistic evocation of a garden beside the sea. It is a perfume of light and of shade where fig tree, mastic tree and red cedar blend with bergamot, orange blossom and white oleander.

04th February, 2004

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

Great fragrance, very fresh with hints of floral and spice. Classy looking bottle with the trademark slanted sides and flat cap. They haven't made a bad scent yet either.

Vermeil for Men by Vermeil

Take the smoke, wood and green notes of Platinum Egoiste, crank them up, and you have Vermeil. Vermeil lacks the fresh top notes of Platinum Egoiste, but the dry down is very similar. If you like smoky wood, Vermeil is one you should try. It can be a little cloying at times to me, but at the same time it smells nice. I think I'm leaning towards a thumbs up on this one.

deaconford's avatar

Legendary Harley-Davidson by Harley-Davidson

nothing to write home about,smells very similar to XS by paco rabonne

deaconford's avatar

Tempore Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

how can all of these different 'notes' compile the same outcome as casran? If I had known they smell this much alike, I could have spent my money on something I dont have yet.Dont get me wrong,it's awesome,but if you already have casran,you already have this! nuff said!

Latitude Longitude by Nautica

Unlike other reviewers, I believe this scent can be used day-to-day. Best to use at home, play or work. Definitely not for formal occasions, and probably not for romantic ones.
    The tea component complements the dark woods well. Unlike any other woodsy scent I have. Similar to Bulgari pour Homme, but not as long lasting, although the scent has some oomph to it, unlike the Bulgari.
    Distinctive bottle - solid metal base and metal top without a lid.

05th February, 2004 (Last Edited: 07th February, 2004)

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Solid linear scent, lasts all day. Perhaps since I don't remember the 70's, I don't find that it is reminiscent of that decade. To me it is utterly modern.
    While it isn't a scent I would wear on sequential days, I believe it can be worn on practically any occasion, perhaps more so in the fall or winter. To me, this scent smells like I placed my arm in a burning fireplace, and removed it unscathed. On the other hand, my GF calls describes it as indian spices.
    Hefty container.

Santemon's avatar

Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I have been wearing this scent now almost continuously for 24 hours and can't stop sniffing it, having done a couple of reapplications since I first put it on. The earthy sweetness of the top notes is striking and seductive, but doesn't prepare you for how good it gets as the scent develops and the soft patchouli notes waft off your skin. Rose, plum, and patchouli are obviously a fragrance marriage made in heaven. Tigrushka is absolutely spot on with her description, and as the range of reviews here attest to, this is a scent for both men and women.

Santemon's avatar

Dilmun by Lorenzo Villoresi

I really wanted to like this scent, the ingredients sounded really appealing. It seems to be the Villoresi trademark that all his scents have clear, crisp, pure notes and a progression that you can clearly follow. Unfortunately, this combination was too sweet for me, even the citrus was sweet, with florals reinforced by the sweet fragrant resins, further reinforced by the flower extracts and vanilla. It rapidly reminded me of an Italian barbershop and stayed that way, down to the soap in my ears and crisp white uniform of the barber. If you like this kind of scent, by all means go for it. I guess it wasn't for me.

AlphaBrahma's avatar

Gucci pour Homme (original) by Gucci

Very pleasant, professional. I find it a little more refined than Envy, but similar (dare I say). I cannot wait to try the new version.

Cuir de Russie by Creed

Cuir de Russie is a very strange fragrance. It smells like very sour lemon and gasoline, emphasis on sour. It really only works for me as a novelty scent. It's a fun fragrance but it's just too weird for everyday wear.

Cyprès-Musc by Creed

Cypres Musc is one that just does not work at all. The cypress wood, english mint, musk and green notes smell just like pine needles, sawdust and Ben Gay to me. This is the most medicinal fragrance I've ever smelled. It is unique for sure, but to me it plain stinks.

newsuvshopping's avatar

L'Eau d'Hiver by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

The composition is a wonderful blend of
    Bergamot
    Angelica
    Iris
    Jasmine
    Heliotrope
    White Musc
    L'Eau d'Hiver opens with the Iris, then the Angelica appears followed by the Heliotrope. This is a very soft fragrance and quite long lasting. I feel it's perfectly Unisex! Jean Claude Ellena's done it again!

Joshaugustt's avatar

Joint by Roccobarocco

Joint is a terrific warm and woody scent. It's been fairly overlooked and is now hard to find. But it's worth trying if you can find it. It's warm, fresh, woody and a very unique, classy scent.

Derrick by Orlane

Not sure why this scent is so reviled on the Basenotes boards. I got it for cheap, and all I can say is that there isn't anything special about it. Like any other scent, you shouldn't drown yourself in it. The scent is on the light side at first, but becomes a bit heavier after a couple minutes of wearing. Probably good in the office - three spritzes max.
    Top notes are spices, but they dissipate quickly. Base scent is similar to Gucci Nobile, which is ambery and nothing special. More of a '80s scent than a '70s scent though.
    For an ambery scent, I prefer YSL M7. And for a '70s scent, I prefer Halston Z-14.

SBACAS's avatar

Quasar by J del Pozo

Quasar is evidently very well made. It's great to find such a manly, long lasting scent in such a well mannered, easy to wear product. The response to this new addition so far has been very positive indeed. J del Pozo deserves to be more highly regarded with a fragrance such as this to his credit. For something different but very special, try this.

SBACAS's avatar

T for Him by Tommy Hilfiger

T is an incredible scent. Clean and crisp, exactly replicating the smell of freshly laundered white clothes, it truly is one of a kind. I find Hilfiger scents to be well made,interesting and unique; hardly cheap, bland or commonplace.

Jockey Club by Caswell-Massey

Is this stuff really 164 years old?? Hard to believe, it's awesome!! It does remind me just a bit of the smell of grooming products in a barber shop. clean and sweet. I highly recommend it and look forward to trying Green Briar and number 6.

T Gregory by T Gregory

This stuffs great! Found it for a great bargain too. Retials for $68.00, I paid $15.00. Very fresh smelling with a touch of vanilla and spice. It's very difficult to find too, which makes it more special and to top it off its a perfume! It can be found at Gendarme.com. Don'y know if Gendarme is just the distributor or manufacturer, but anyway it's a find. thumbs up

Sex On The Beach by Demeter Fragrance Library

Though traditionally the drink has no raspberries in it, Sex on the Beach by Demeter smells entirely of raspberries. It reminds me a lot of a more potent version of Hot Couture by Givenchy minus the incense note. This one is completely feminine and one of the best I've ever smelled on a woman. Even the most effeminate man in the world could not pull off this one IMO.

Vera Wang for Men by Vera Wang

Good, but underwhelming scent. Top notes are not particularly interesting. Middle notes are akin to Egoiste. Base is soft sweet scent, not ambery.
    Still, probably a good formal fragrance, for the office or at night. But if I want subtle, I'll go for Tsar.
    Disappointing in that from the components, I was expecting much more of a mans scent with some power. I can't detect the tobacco or leather. I'll go for Quorum instead.