Fragrance Reviews from March 2004

emad's avatar

Iran Iran

Rochas Lui by Rochas

hi
    i don't know why the previous reviewer said that about lui but i think all products of rochas are one of a kind and also LUI
    it is a fragrance for a three peice suit
    if you in tend to wear it with a jean or a T shirt of you are a little boy it is not in your level it should be wear by a hight class guy

01st March, 2004

Just's avatar

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

After reading all the positive reviews and of all the awards it has received (even here in South Africa), i was so hoping that this would be the fragrance that i was looking for. However, after trying it i was very disappointed at how sour it turned out to be once it had settled down. This didn't deter me in trying it a few more times as i thought maybe it would grow on me, but to no avail. The fragrance just develops into a blunt sour melon-type smell (on my skin that is) that leaves me wondering "Is this it? Is this what everyone is so hyped up about?" It's not the worst fragrance i've smelt, but it's just not one that would make me say "Wow!" Just my thoughts.

01st March, 2004

DuxMux's avatar

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Overrated! cost too much, annoying sour note and it don't last very long.

John.com's avatar

Cuba by Czech & Speake

An amazing tobacco based offering from C&S. Cuba starts off with a citrus-like edge, but quickly mellows into a rich, warm middle and base. Very well suited for a frosty evening date.

Romeo Gigli by Romeo Gigli

What a powerful drydown and as expected, the fragrance delivers. The citrus topnotes quickly dissipates into a full-bodied heart that is projected by the ambergris and civet notes. A fresh start, gets complicated and ends on a dirty sexy animalic note. Gigli is a citrus scent that becomes aromatic very quickly. This refined scent is not for boys though. It exudes manly sophistication. This is what Baldessarini wanted to be. It has the two missing ingredients ambergris and civet that Baldessarini tried to replace with tobacco. Nope, no cigars. Gigli has blonde tobacco to boot. It is so far in advance of its time. This is the precursor to scents like Cristobal and Le Male. And so much better in fact. It is twilight and passion in a bottle.

Mr._Longrove's avatar

Santos by Cartier

I ordered a sample of this not long ago but I don't like it much. It has a synthetic smell like Drakkar Noir. Even after dry down I didn't care for it. I recommend other Cartier scents like Musk De Cartier over this one.

shouffrey's avatar

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Awful, smells like pencil shavings and I'm NOT kidding. It smells NOTHING like the original. Why defile the original pour homme with such a bad smell. It's as though Envy & Oscar for men collided

Allure Homme by Chanel

I had a sample of this one. I do not happen to like it at all. It reminds me of one over-the-counter scent that I used to have and it something did not appeal to me. I will never buy this thing for myself - it is too not me (though I love Orientals)

Vetiver by Guerlain

Deeply impressed with this scnet - as always Guerlain has produced a classic that remains in history. It reminds me of freshly cut grass, mixed with the wonderful scent of decaying coniferous trees and earth - it makes me travel to the deepest parts of a forest - and I just love them.

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Though I am not notmally attracted to so masculine scents, this one is a real winner. I have tried it so many times that I feel as if i had possessed it. I cannot speak of the tenasity of the scnet but I am really taken aback everytime I smell it. I think that it will be my next purchase.

Diavolo by Antonio Banderas

Not very long lasting. Nice scent - reminds me a lot of Farhenheit.

Stuey's avatar

Versace Man by Versace

It's okay. Gave it a try and while nice enough just not as nice as Dreamer. Dreamer is just the cream of the crop.

andrew's avatar

Homme Nature by Yves Rocher

This scent is very fresh and oceanic. This reminds me of Sung Paradise mixed with Escada Sentiment. I paid a fraction of the price of designers for this scent that will become a mainstay in my collection. What a deal.

Blu pour Homme by Bulgari

I find this to be the greatest fragrance ever made. It is my personal scent and I would highly recommend it to those who love woodsy and spicy scents which are unique and last for ages (at least on my skin).

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

This happens to be an exceptionally smooth scent. It reminds me of rubber indeed but I like it. And I really like it a lot.

Gieffeffe by Gianfranco Ferré

This is absolutely a fabulous fragrance. But it might not appeal to those who do not like florals.

Eau Parfumée au Thé Blanc by Bulgari

Were this made as an eau de toilette or even better as an eau the parfum, it would probably be my signature sxcent/ I find it to be a real winner (and I am fan of all Bvlgari scents)

Céline pour Homme by Céline

Celine is a lot like Salvatore Ferragamo, but not nearly as harsh with the curry dish smell. The orange peel, cinnamon and nutmeg top notes are very light but noticeable. Fresh and tangy, wood and spice -- it is nice, but much too light and very unoriginal. Those things taken into account, I just can't recommend this one.

fiskadoro's avatar

Monsieur Balmain (original) by Pierre Balmain

Monsieur Balmain is a classic citrus scent that starts off with an exceptionally sharp burst of lemon before drying down to a nice vanilla base. A real old timer, it's often overlooked and underappreciated, but definitely worth a shout.

John.com's avatar

Animale for Men by Animale Parfums

Frankly, taking into account the vile, tacky bottle, I assumed this would be shit. Quite the contrary ladies and germs. My wife recently purchased and presented me with a bottle as a birthday present for yours truly. I feigned utter joy and rapture upon unwrapping lest I unleash her wrath, drawn and quartered. After a sufficient amount of private moping, however, I took a snort and discovered that Animale is VERY pleasant and addictive. Ambery, warm and a tad powdery. Wears amazinly well, an excellent discovery I wish I could take full credit for. Apparently, my wife can pick em' (scents that is, not me)

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

The topnotes of this scent is very wierd in a funky sort of way. The advertisement for this tries to sell Obsession as a sex juice. The ads are black and white to symbolise a universal quality that trancends race and culture. Is obsession the sex juice of the 80s then? You wouldn't think so based on the topnotes. In my opinion, the topnotes is more of the midnotes rearranging themselves. Many artisinal fragrances do this eg. Piper Nigrum, Virgilio, Yerbamate etc. I don't mind it but it takes some getting used to. Try the original Burberry(1981) to get a stronger feel of Obsession's topnotes.

The midnotes is what i want to focus on. This is where the magic happens. You get a mellowing of the topnotes into something very sexy. It is the appearance of the first gourmand notes that take my breath away. Chocolatey creamy but not so much rich as sharp and aromatic because the gourmand accord is made with woody notes of Rosewood and Pine needle mixed with oriental notes of vanilla and amber. Very nice, it is a movement and combination to produce the gourmand note. Not like say, Amen where you get the chocolates straight away... albeit after the tar . Obsessions' gourmand note needs/has to be constructed. It slowly emerges from the chaos of the topnotes. Most interestingly, this gourmand note has added pungency through the addition of a red berries note. This sweetens the gourmand so you don't get dark chocolates, just a sweet milky coco-like effect. The most interesting accord in the fragrance IMO. Chanel took this accord to make Allure (not a statement of fact, just to give a rough idea of the accord i'm talking about.) This is the accord that makes obsession so obsessive and a classic. But what takes it away from the mold of Amen or Body Kouros is the persistent greeness (pine needles) that is in the background. Makes for a highly original scent though.

If you do not like Obsession it is probably because you find the greeness a little too discordant with the gourmand or simply cannot stand the chaotic topnotes. For me, i find that those qualities are precisely what makes Obsession a unique scent and cements its place in the hallowed halls of true classics.

Renato's avatar

Musk by Lorenzo Villoresi

It's a pretty basic musky scent, which isn't all that long lasting on me. It just seems too simple for me. Feel free to e-mail me and tell me what I've missed.
    Renato

Renato's avatar

Dilmun by Lorenzo Villoresi

To me, Dilmun is a male scent with a strong rose feminine note stuck in the middle of it. So I'd class it as unisex.
    My neice thought the same.
    My mother and sister-in-law thought it was definitely a feminine scent.
    And my brother thought it a very masculine scent.
    This is one confusing scent.
    Renato

Etra by Etro

Etra by Etro smells like raisin cinnamon bread pudding with a little extra vanilla. It smells delectably edible. Etra has a dry down that reminds me a lot of Ultraviolet Man. The geranium, lavender and sandalwood give Etra a subliminal freshness that blends perfectly with the cinnamon, musk and other sweet notes. Etro is one of the best sweet vanilla based fragrances I've tried. A girl I know even bit me while I was wearing Etra, saying it was because I smelled so damn tasty!

Good Life by Davidoff

Goodlife is an amazingly versatile, clean, fresh and severely green leafy fragrance. With powdery floral notes in the middle and some strange spice notes in the base, it all culminates into a sparkling and extremely fresh fragrance that is great in so many settings. Formal, casual or as a sport fragrance, it can be worn any time any place. The grapefruit lends a citrus fruitiness to the green freshness that is very succulent. Goodlife is very complex and well made; I would even go so far as to say it ties with Zino as Davidoff's best fragrance. It is one of the most highly underrated designer fragrances I know of.

Roma Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

Roma Uomo is a mess. If you can imagine this, it has notes of sharp citrus, a dark souring oakmoss note, with strong notes of vanilla, musk and sandalwood. I've heard it described as a sweet orange sorbet, and to some extent it is, but only if you added some sour milk to the mix. If anything, it smells like a very strange, sweet oriental women's musk fragrance gone completely bad. They try to make it more masculine with the oakmoss middle note but it just makes it messier instead. It is one of the most cloying fragrances I've had the displeasure of wearing. The notes simply do not work. I have so wanted to like this one that I even tried another bottle that I knew was fresh just to make sure mine wasn't bad. Same smell. I then made a friend of mine wear it to see if it was simply my body chemistry that wasn't working with it. Again, same smell. Orange, oakmoss, sandalwood and vanilla do not work together on a man, nay; no one should smell like this. If you crave a sweet vanilla fragrance, splurge and get Etra by Etro instead. Etra works in all the areas Roma failed. The only upside to Roma Uomo is that it is long lasting, so that's a bonus if you like smelling putrid.

Olène by Diptyque

Olene is powdery white flower petals, soapy, fresh and subtle yet long lasting. It smells like the soapiness of Annick Goutal's Eau du Sud blended with the white flowers of Jessica McClintock (both of which should only we worn by women). The dominant notes in Olene are foremost white flowers with undertones of lemon and wood. Olene is not one bit masculine, and any man who wears this has some MAJOR gender issues.

Joshaugustt's avatar

R by Révillon

This is a GREAT scent!!! And it's a very hard one to describe. It IS soft and green, and a little sweet...but it still has body and surprising staying power...yet NEVER overpowering. If you like a fresh, clean, slightly sweet scent...then Revillion is the Scent for you. It IS hard to find. I've also used the After Shave and the spray deodorant...but those, too, are very hard to find. This is one of my favorites. It's definitely worth a try.

Michael's avatar

Red for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

Just learned that it has been discontinued. Very disappointing!!! What commercially available cologne has a similar composition and scent?

Number 3 / Le 3me Homme / The Third Man by Caron

When you wear Caron 3rd Man, you are putting out a statement. You are a confident man, comfortable in the most stressful situations, not bothered by the dominant fashion style of the day, a man of tradition. The fragrance itself is caramel smooth. A brilliant take on the 80s' super accord. It is extremely aromatic. This one was designed with sillage in mind. When you leave the room, people will definitely know you've been there a few seconds ago.

I wear 3rd Man on the skin. I like it close. It goes on my chest, under a shirt. Trust me, the effect is fabulous. This allows the scent to mix with your natural chemistry and pumps out through the pores of the fabric. The effect is one of sexy indulgence and warmth. It should have a place in any gentleman's wardrobe. (Even a gentleman gets horny once in a while.) So who IS the 3rd Man? I'm no Luca Turin, but i believe, there is your physical being, your spiritual being and the scent which becomes an extension of yourself. The aura personified!!!