Fragrance Reviews from June 2004

AtinayBoy's avatar

Messe de Minuit by Etro

What a unique fragrance. If you are looking for something no one else has, this is it. It is really mysterious and not like your run of the mill designer fragrances. It is a good move out of the ordinary.

Eau de Cartier Concentrée by Cartier

I love it--I oughtta, I spent way too much on it last weekend. I discovered it while pining for Declaration, but now I like it much better. It smells like lime at first to me, and smells different from other colognes. I also like the floral component. (But WHY is everything I really like unisex?! Hmmph!) Everything Cartier does is great.

01st June, 2004 (Last Edited: 04 June, 2004)

eric's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

Almost the same as the original Allure,
    also made of the same four facets,only
    more orange and citrus and the spicy facets are toned down.Allure sport or original? now I don't know what to choose, I like them both!

Sandy's avatar

Hungary Hungary

Cologne Bigarade by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Nothing short of brilliant. This is a beautiful, refreshing, utterly compelling fragrance. Balanced somewhere between the classic and the eccentric, Cologne Bigarade is like nothing else you've ever worn - all the more surprising, as citrus is a standard element men's perfumery, and has been for a few centuries. (Citrus bigaradia is the botanical name for the bitter, or Seville orange.) The description on Frédéric Malle's website does not claim that bigarade, or essence of bitter orange, is new to perfumery, but that Jean-Claude Ellena wanted a true bitter citrus fragrance, and that this cologne uses a new formulation as the basis for the bitter orange note. It may be this new formulation which allows the citrus note in this scent to be so striking: it's clean, strong, bright without being sweet, and amazingly persistent. The citrus note seems a little more prominent in the Concentrée version, (which I prefer slightly over the cologne). The Cologne version gives more prominence to the rose note, I think. The combination of citrus, rose, cardamom and, of all things, hay is what gives this fragrance its complex, slightly strange character. Try it in hot, humid weather.

eric's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

My latest discovery (maybe a little late) and I like it!!. I think of sweet vannilla when I smell this.It also helps that my wife likes it too.

02 June, 2004

AlphaBrahma's avatar

Piper Nigrum by Lorenzo Villoresi

No hyperbole below. A masterpiece plain and simple.

AlphaBrahma's avatar

Spezie by Lorenzo Villoresi

Warm and inviting. If you are looking to add a spice scent look no further.

Vendetta pour Homme by Valentino

The bottle is exquisite, reminds me of an oil lamp, in typical Arabian Knights fashion which comes with a genie. The juice is light woody brown which gives a hint of the scent itself. The sillage is excellent as is the norm for most classics. Also, like many classics, this one is discontinued!!!

Now, the scent. It starts off with a deep sourish note created by neroli and lavender with a tinge of verbena floral sweetness. The dominant floral topnotes pushes the scent towards feminity but wait for it, when the scent turns, you're in for a wallop! Very quickly, the clove and bayrum in the heart catches up, the effect is an accentuation of the sourish note that overcomes any sweetness in the top. Where does the sillage come from? Jasmine of course!! The fuel of many fragrances at this time. Remember Monsieur Carven? The turnaround is surprising but that is only the tip of the iceberg. It opens your senses to figure out the notes further and just when you thought that you've had the scent pegged down, it releases its most potent combo! The clove in the heart interacts with the woody base to produce an accord that is incense and smoky to begin with but mellows down to a pungent ambery drydown! The drydown is akin to Serge Lutens' Ambre Sultan and Madini's Ambergris oil!!! I kid you not!! I am sitting here, breathing in the deep incense notes and ambery accords of a scent that is artisinal in its evolution and craftsmanship. This is Caron 3rd Man's older brother, a scent whose accords were mimicked by one of the best artisinal houses, 2 years later in 1993, with the release of Ambre Sultan.

Vendetta is a scent you wear to be noticed. I've been with this scent for the past 3 weeks now and it is without doubt, a potent brew. Do not overspray, i spritz this on lightly, 2 sprays on my body and let the sillage do the rest. I have 5 sprays on now to get the notes down and analyse its evolution and i am totally engulfed in a cloud of woody insence and ambery accords that is rather intoxicating actually.

To enjoy Vendetta, I would say that you must like scents like Ambre Sultan, Polo Crest and Obsession, though I recommend Vendetta if you've had enough of that CK scent. Basically, you must like Chypres in general and woods in particular. A modern take on this would be M7 with its agarwood note. If you can take those scents, then you will love Vendetta!

Emporio Armani Night He by Giorgio Armani

What's Armani Night like? I would put it as a toned-down Individuel or JPG Le Male. The violet note in this one is what you must look out for. It is less dominant/brusque than the Lavender and Jasmine which most masculine scents prefer to use. It appears for about 5-10 minutes in the topnotes before melting into the heart which has the aromatic sage. The woods in this one is Cedar and Patchouli, and the accord produced is powdery. It is a well-balanced scent. I alternate between this and Rive Gauche, with Rive Gauche being the louder one of the two. They complement each other well, depending on your mood. Some people have made comments that it is similar to Armani Mania and i would say, only in the topnotes are they somewhat akin. After awhile, Mania turns mossy and disappears while Night becomes powdery sweet and lingers. I suppose you could say Armani "fixed" Mania's longevity problem with some Myrrh and patchouli. At night, it is simply sexy!!!Not the overly masculine sexiness like Vendetta or the classic sexiness of Obsession/Opium nor the arcane sexiness of Costume Scent Intense or DK Fuel or the smooth sexiness of Caron's 3rd Man, but a nonchalant sexiness that's just right as if saying "This is all i need, no more, no less." I wear it in black for a slightly gothic touch. Trust me, it gets attention your way! Just look unconcerned, contemplative and when they ask you what you're wearing, calmly say "Oh, that?... Armani Night" in a couldn't care less sort of way.

Dusan's avatar

Serbia Serbia

Emporio Armani Night He by Giorgio Armani

I am completely blown away by this fragrance. It is wonderfully floral thanks to violet absolute and deeply sensual on the drydown due to the sweet amber and myrrh. Terrific!

Dune pour Homme by Christian Dior

I've always liked this scent. It's distinctive and classic.

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

When I first smelled it I liked it a little, although to me it smells very strange--a little vanillic, a little synthetic leathery, very chemical. Then everyone started wearing it, and it became less appealing. Now some people STILL wear it, and it's completely lost its appeal. It's air pollution, this stuff: you always know when someone has it on, because they scent everything in their path for miles! It's just too strong, and I thought I'd never say that about a fragrance! But it's just too much. I wish it would go away.

Weekend for Men by Burberry

I didn't like it at first, but after a few times smelling it I do. It's sweet and crisp and bracing, like citrus and sage. Great for hot summer days. Can be pretty strong, though, so don't overapply. And no everyone likes it.

Zirh by Zirh

I can't even smell it. For all I can tell there's just alcohol in there. It's so light and wispy that you might as well spray on water. No wonder I saw it at TJ Maxx for $7 (and still didn't buy it!).

Crave by Calvin Klein

A roommate of mine had some testers of Crave that he didn't want, so I gave it a whirl. I'll have to agree with some of the other posters that it's disgusting. It's sweet in a sickly way, with an odd combination of freshness that is saccharine and nauseating. I think it even hurts my nose. I expected better.

Higher Energy by Christian Dior

Hmmm, I found this fragrance to be kind of spicy/woody, rather than citrusy. I like it, although it doesn't say all that much. I think I actually found it similar to Mambo by Liz Claiborne, although I haven't smelled enough of that to really make a comparison. I like this, but it's nothing terribly special. Maybe I'll buy a fake of it if it's similar.

Javier's avatar

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

People compare this one to M7 and Rive gauche, but Gucci pour homme blows 'em both out of the water. This one stays rich from top note to drydown, with dark woodsy, vanilla musk aroma mixed with a pipe tobacco scent. Thank you Gucci!!!

04 June, 2004 (Last Edited: 15 June, 2004)

SBACAS's avatar

Halston Z-14 by Halston

Of the scents from the 70's, Z-14 holds on as one that can still cut it today. Check it out and remember...mature = sexy.

Aromantic's avatar

Echo by Davidoff

This scent seems to get mixed reviews. I can't decide whether to get this or Kenzo L'eau, so I'll get both. Women really like it, but on the site men's reviews have panned it. It goes on sharp, bright, clean and with a floral "spike" due to the synthetic make up (after all, what in the world are 'living liquid air', 'metal aldehyde', and 'white suede' anyway?) which may account for the thumbs down. I've tried two samples now, and found it dries down to an ever present, pleasant, sterile, metallic-spice. It mellows slightly on skin, so to keep that sparkly clean, modern chrome, uptodate aura in your office, be sure to spritz a bit on your collar too. One female coworker asked me outright what I was wearing that day (a first). I asked if she thought it was too feminine, fearing the morning's sweet onset was still too loud, and she said no, it was so fresh she was considering it for her boyfriend! I'm one for experimentation, and intend to acquire this for another reason - believe it or not to mix in with some older, dated tired colognes Ive had around for too long. Theyre tired (you know, Laruen Polo, Lauder Metropolis, Rabane Tenere, Aramis, Laurent Kouros) and this could be just the thing to wake them up! Modern molecular synthesis meets natural distillation of the 60's and 70's!

D_mcrae's avatar

Duc de Vervins by Houbigant

I recently obtained a bottle of Duc de vervins, Very nice, To me it reminds of Drakkar Noir but with I bit more complex

Joshaugustt's avatar

Futuros by Aubusson

FUTROS is a wonderful, fresh, warm fragrance. I found one on Ebay and loved it. And then was lucky enough to find someone selling over a dozen brand new bottles. If you enjoy a really fine, subtle yet lasting, warm and unique scent...try this one... if you find it on the net. I think you'll love it. 6-05-04

Joshaugustt's avatar

Halston 101 by Halston

A GREAT Cologne. I'm only sorry I just discovered it...and it's impossible to find. It's one of the BEST spicy/warm fragrances I've ever worn. It's very very classy...not at all overpowering, but it has wonderful staying power. If you get a chance to even sample this one...try it. 06-05-04

Must de Cartier pour Homme Vert Anis by Cartier

Must de Cartier pour Homme Vert Anis(2001) is one that i recommend over the original. It is slightly more complex and much more long lasting. I wore the original yesterday and it lasted about 5 hours which is fine for me, but this one will go beyond 7 easily, plus the anise note is sublime and provides a lovely trail to follow.

D_mcrae's avatar

Spark for Men by Liz Claiborne

Nice enough scent, my first thought of this scen was a less spicier Version of catalyst with a sweet but subtle dry-down, Its better than a lot other stuff on the market but not enough for me to say WOW!

07 June, 2004 (Last Edited: 11th June, 2004)

Edward's avatar

Hugo by Hugo Boss

I like Hugo alot. The scent is distinctive with real British class. It's in my regular office rotation and the wife loves it when I wear it at home. For me, the top notes are a bit loud, so it's not until things settle down a bit that I really begin to enjoy having it on. It does last on my skin throughout the wok day.With Hugo Boss products you certainly get value for your money.

Edward's avatar

Vera Wang for Men by Vera Wang

I wasn't really sure about this one when I tried it on at the store. My wife made up my mind for me and I'm so glad she did. This scent is very unique and dignified. It suits my skin very well (evidently). While I wear alot of very good scents, being married, I don't have alot of women telling me how good I smell. But I actually have had that very experience on the first day I wore Vera Wang to work. I highly recommend this stuff.

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

The Azzaro is special to me because it is one of the few fragrances left in the world that uses ambergris. This imparts a very dark, masculine feel to the scent and it absolutely blooms in the evening. I wouldn't bother with the Intense because it is basically the Azzaro without heart! A tin-man in search of a heart because the ambergris is missing. Very hard to find these days, ambergris, so what do you do, especially when you have legions of Azzaro fans out there. You stand to lose millions if you pull it off the shelves, so you create a so-called "Intense" version that doesn't have ambergris and "update" it with the latest in synthetic molecules for an intense burst in the topnotes and you sit and wait blissfully in the mistaken belief that you can wean the discerning masses from the original. Didn't happen and won't happen!!! They already tried it with Acteur.

Dated? DATED?? Well, not in Europe it isn't! This goes back to a time when scents were supposed to last and project. Today, scents tend to stay close to the skin which generally defeats the purpose of wearing scents in the first place. A difference in concept definitely, but you can certainly wear it with confidence in the evening, beneath your clothes, in summer even. Besides, what does dated smell like? Old cellar stench? Messe de Minuit is selling very well! Old leathery circus smell? Dzing is also doing fine. To me, Purple Label is the epitome of datedness and it was released last year!

At least, get a very small bottle, just so you can experience the magic of ambergris once in awhile.

Helmut Lang Eau de Cologne by Helmut Lang

I just spritzed the EDP version and must say that it is very powdery in the drydown with a distinctive musky note that is reminiscent of BY's animalic note but not quite so synthetic yet not subtle by any means. The woodsy feel is actually a powdery musk drydown that could be mistaken for cedarwood though it is definitely more musky in character due to the richness imparted to the scent itself. It is precisely this character which puts the scent squarely in the skin bracer type fragrance, one that should be worn on the skin to complement the body chemistry. It is not one that provides an abundance of sillage, but rather, imparts a masculine aura around the wearer. I keep wanting to smell this scent because of its buttery, creamy richness. :o
    On a sidenote, i have to slightly disagree that this one smells like Melagrano in the sense that i find certain artisinal houses tend to make their scents very bold and loud (helps to justify the price tag) but that is where it is a mistake for this type of scent. Helmut Lang has managed to tone down the SMN Melagrano and Parfume d'Habit overtures considerably and yet maintain the buttery allure quite nicely, not overpoweringly so. It's all about balance! To get my meaning totally, try some Melagrano or Parfum Habit on one wrist and spritz some Jovan White Musk on the other. You can instantly tell the difference in intensity and richness. Now spritz the Helmut Lang EDP onto the crook of your elbow where the vein lies on the same arm as the Jovan White Musk (the other arm is useless with the Melagrano/Parfum Habit as it will overwhelm your EDP.) After 5 minutes, the richness should appear and you can compare it with the synthetic cadence of the Jovan. Quite extraordinary eh? Now that's balance and what you're paying for in the EDP. A scent that is just right!

Sandy's avatar

Hungary Hungary

Lanvin L'Homme by Lanvin

This underrated gem seems like a well-kept secret. Crisp and elegant, it's comfortable in all seasons. A fresh citrus/floral top, including bergamot, mandarin and neroli, is backed by clean middle-note of lavender and herbs. Mint adds a feeling of coolness. The finish includes a surprising note of violetwood, and a trace of vanilla which manages never to become cloying. Not so commonly available that you'll find it on everyone on the block. Definitely worth seeking out,as it never fails to win compliments.

SBACAS's avatar

Benetton Sport Man by Benetton

This is such a nice scent. Clean, fresh, and reasonably long lasting. I am very pleased with the positive reactions I get when I wear this. I have founf it to be great for weekend casual, and equally comfortable and welcome in the office as well. For the price it really can't be beat. You will enjoy, and receive real value from, this product.