Fragrance Reviews from July 2004

Baïmé by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

An impeccable combo of basil, woods and mellow spices. The basil does not deliver the face slapping assualt I'd braced for. Very subdued and tastefully presented, kind of an afterthought. I'm moving on it with nary a glance back. Glorious.

Centaure by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

A citrus/woods blend from the heavens. Must be tried to comprehend fully. Longevity is decent as well, the bane of most in this category.

Patchouli by Lorenzo Villoresi

The best Patchouli presentation known to man. The rosewood rounds out the whole package perfectly. Delectable is an understatement

Uzkalnis's avatar

CerrutiSí by Cerruti

At first, a sensed aniseed (the review makes no mention of it, but then I'm not a professional, maybe I was wrong). Then it evolved into warmth and wood, like entering a really good hotel room, with well-polished antiquee furniture and expensive, clean carpets. Woody tones are dominant but they remain subtle at all times, and there is just a hint of expensive leather, perhaps a soft tan bag next to you in a business-class cabin. Very, very distinctive and unlike most other scents on the market; will make you stand out and perhaps requires a minimum age of 30 to wear (would not go with jeans and sneakers, I am afraid).

01st July, 2004 (Last Edited: 09 July, 2004)

D_mcrae's avatar

Vetyver Uomo by Malizia

Malizia, I was told was a very popular scent may years ago, the scent is a different twist on vetiver, its's nothing like Guerlain's vetiver it's very Italian, the first time I smelled it I was blown away. Nowadays its not very expensive, try it!

desmondpereira's avatar

Polo Crest by Ralph Lauren

This was one of my favourite fragrances not available in Australia, but I used to buy in in Asia & USA when travelling. I like it as a companion scent to Polo Original.

Envy for Men by Gucci

I can't seem to gather as many positive things to say as others about this. Just not what I want in a fragrance. But if others love it - go for yours.

Joshaugustt's avatar

Superfragrance for Men by Etienne Aigner

Superfragrance is a GREAT fragrance. Two thumbs WAY UP! But...it's almost impossible to find. It's very warm, subtle, masculine, and fresh, and has great staying power. It's the kind of scent that makes you "feel" clean...all day long. I've found a few on ebay...but it's very hard to find. It's defintitely worth trying if you can locate a bottle. It's truly a "Super" fragrance. 7-2-404

03 July, 2004

cK one Summer by Calvin Klein

What a great fresh fragrance. Love it and I usually don't like fresh fragrances but this is truly the exception.

07 July, 2004 (Last Edited: 15 July, 2004)

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

My husband got this as a sample, and I loved it! They have an aftershave smoother that he really appreciates. I can always smell the pepper in it, and it makes him smell even better as the other notes fade. Very sexy.

Red for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

I first smelled this when I met my husband. It is my favorite scent for men. Very elegant. He still has some of the after shave smoother that he uses, and I am trying to talk myself into paying $200 for the cologne on eBay. If anyone knows a scent that is (very!) similar, I would love to know about it.

Naturellement Homme by Prestilux

This stuff is so elegant - there is a place on line that sells it - enchanteperfumes.com That's the only place I could find it.

273 Rodeo Drive for Men by Fred Hayman

FYI - this smells almost exactly like Antaeus by Chanel

Antaeus by Chanel

This smells almost exactly like "273 for Men" by Fred Hayman. (Original, not the "blue" version.) It's cheaper too and probably easier to find.

Chaleur d'Animale pour Homme by Animale Parfums

A green scent...by that I mean this smells like: cut grass, hay, green tea, etc. Of course it drys down and changes over time and is by no means bad, but that is the general scent direction. Similar in many ways to Mat; Male (2002).

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

I like to give reviews that tell people what something smells like by relating to other colognes. If you like this cologne, check out Insense by Givenchy (1993).

Insensé by Givenchy

I like to give reviews that tell people what something smells like by relating to other colognes. This is very similar to Dolce & Gabanna for Men (1994).

Insensé Ultramarine by Givenchy

Take Insence (orignal) or Dolce & Gabanna (original)...tone down the floral notes a bit and then add a base undertone of with a "lotion" type smell. A "lotion" smell is the raw smell (no scents added) of something like a face or hand cream. A sort of waxy, sunscreeny, oily (pleasant) smell. Like somebody back from the beach after using lotions.

Paradox for Men Blue by Jacomo

If you like this kind of smell (almost a fruity, baby-powder type overtone with some masculine bits thrown in), but want something with a little harder "edge", test Zizanie (1932).

Zizanie by Fragonard

To conjure this smell...think baby powder mixed with a kind of musky overtone. Not too similar to many others colognes, but check out Paradox by Jacomo (the blue version) if you like this.

Mat; Male by Masakï Matsushïma

A green scent...by that I mean this smells like: cut grass, hay, green tea, etc. It changes, of course, over time, but that is the general scent description. I think Chaleur d'Animale pour Homme (2000) is similar.

Joseph's avatar

Imperial Jade Emperor by Agatha Brown

This scent is truly tantalizing. Once you get one whiff of this stuff, youll immediatly realize it is exsquisite. I bought my botte directly from Agatha herself... in Aruba (a beautiful island in the caribbean). I came across her boutique on a vacation, and was mesmorized by the scent. I'm glad that she only offers her scents in Aruba, so that it retains its exclusiveness.

09 July, 2004

Trotsky's avatar

England England

Spanish Leather by Geo F Trumper

To me it smells like an old man's trousers! Fusty and no leather detectable. I was given a tester and gave it away after two attempts at liking it. Trotsky

09 July, 2004

Uzkalnis's avatar

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

1994 was the Year of Giants, when inspiration fell like a Niagara on perfumers. Almost every house scored a hit that year: Havana, L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme, Insensé Ultramarine, Adidas Sport, Tommy - these are all distinct, memorable, love-them-or-hate-them-never-forget-them scents, and among this Dream Team the D&G Pour Homme manages to stand out. Never before has tobacco been elevated higher.

09 July, 2004 (Last Edited: 18 September, 2005)

Chrome by Azzaro

Simple test. I was thinking of purchasing this fragrance, but was a little held back by it's presentation. So I ventured out a few days in my local mall. Each day I went to Macy's and had two fragrances sprayed on my arms (one on each arm). I had Chrome on one arm each day. I ventured out an only approached women for their opinion. EVERY time they chose Chrome. Even after their whining, I did not reveal any of the scents that I was wearing. Because I wanted to drill this scent, I put it up against, Dolce & Gabbana (which I LOVE but a friend wears... gotta be different), Curve Crush (only because it's selling like crazy, I don't see why), Angel for Men, Gucci Envy, and Visit (not sure, but someone claimed this was better... the women didn't think so). So I've made my choice and bought it and am very happy with that decision. Women love this one on me, as I can care less what guys think. So, take this post for what it is, it won't smell the same on everyone. Ask the woman first, they have a better sense of smell anyway.

10th July, 2004

Crush's avatar

Light Fluid Men by Iceberg

This fragrance did not get many positive reviews. I think it is not quite fair. The first impressoin is that this is one of many sweet - spicy fragrances. But the drydown is amazing. It somehow resembles OMS by Bogart but not so sharp. Overall the fragrance makes an impression of a very nice high quality stuff.

12 July, 2004 (Last Edited: 18 July, 2004)

Javier's avatar

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

If you can get past the acrid top-notes, you're in for a treat!!! Once the fragrance settles on your skin it smells very refined and manly, and it lasts all day too. Try it!!

renoles's avatar

Jicky by Guerlain

I had read the other reviews of Jicky and heard some discussion and made up my mind to try this fragrance and see what the noise was about. One sniff and I was hooked. This begins herbal, very powerfully herbal. This fades quickly to an animal scent. I've seen this as civet/fecal. I've never smelled a civet, but the fragrance isn't fecal. It is animalistic whatever it is, sharp, pungent, almost heady. This passes a bit more slowly and lends to a soft floral and leather note that seems, to me at least, to offer up some spice and woods. A fragrance to try. It won't be for all comers. For those who can wear it: a fragrance that you won't find on everyone. Classic and unique.

Trotsky's avatar

England England

Vétiver (original) by Carven

I agree with Renato. I currently have a bottle of the after shave in the older style and, apart from being a bit weak (you need to slap loads on - and then again) it is a superb old school fragrance. It is refined and comfortable to wear any time.
    I also have the eau de toilette in the newer style. It is no stronger than the old after shave and has lost something, perhaps depth in the revamp. I shall keep it in my wardrobe but it is not quite what it used to be.
    Trotsky, England

nepv's avatar

Guépard Homme by Guépard

nice,subtil and complex chypre(floral-woody-mossy)with powdery notes.

15 July, 2004