Fragrance Reviews from August 2004

anak's avatar
    anak

D'Humeur Massacrante by L'Artisan Parfumeur

An interesting scent reminiscent of strawberry fields. The scent dries down a little spicy like smashed pumpkins and finishes with a waft of Naperville zest. All in all it isnt bad but leaves out the Yankees spirit that I like in my scents.
    Al

D'Humeur Massacrante by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Very fruity and fragrant but too camp for my tastes ;o)

desmondpereira's avatar
    desmondpereira

Versailles pour Homme by Jean Desprez

My all time favourite - a most unusual and lasting fragrance, something so rare and precious, I with they'd bring it back!
    I think is was not very popular on the commercial men's market because it was too genteel, sexy, refined and sophisticated for the younger man.
    It is definitely a scent for high-flyers who understand what ot means to be on top and with a cutting-edge.

01st August, 2004 (Last Edited: 28 September, 2004)

Scentsational's avatar
    Scentsational

L'Anarchiste by Caron

The most satisfying blind purchase I've ever made. The metallic tingle upon first spritz is very prevelant, but quite interesting and unique. The blend of mint and orange is a great eye opener, with a wonderful clove note emerging later in the drydown. It has great lasting power, is very unique and the bottle is magnifique!

The Bark's avatar
    The Bark

D'Humeur Massacrante by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Top notes of baby powder give it that fresh, innocent smell--but there are days when the basenotes reek of of a third grader named Willie Makeit who didn't quite reach the outhouse in time. Better luck next time, L'Artisan!

Ricci Club by Nina Ricci

FANTASTIC! Need say no more!

Signoricci by Nina Ricci

Class in a glass (bottle)!
    LOVELY STUFF!

Mémoire d'Homme by Nina Ricci

Boring, run of the mill, poor scent. I usually find something to like about most scents but this one is just plain bad.

Dave_Phillips's avatar
    Dave_Phillips

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

I'd rather smell of cat wee than this. Easily the most god awful smell on the marked. Sour vanilla or something. I felt ill.

Dave_Phillips's avatar
    Dave_Phillips

Original Vetiver by Creed

I'm relatively new to all this and it would take a lot for me to write a review. So why am I here? Well I just wanted to say that I've tried somewhere between 50 and 100 fragrances and this is my favourite. It's just beaten Creed's Green Irish Tweed to go top. I do like Creed but I'm not biased (Erolfa and Bois Du Portugal are very average) and although SMW is nice it lasts about 15 minutes.
    Basically this smells of freshly cut grass with a certain sweetness to it. I found it very unique. It lasts moderately well (GIT lasts longer)
    Its a very modern fragrance but with all Creed's traditional quality behind it.
    The ONLY fragrance to make me go "hmmmmmmmm" I don't care if girls like it or not (though my girlfriend does) as I'd happily smell this stuff all day.

manrique's avatar
    manrique

Macassar by Rochas

I met this perfume almost 20 years ago and I have never found it again. In this forum some indicate that it has returned; however, I have visited several sites to buy on-line and in all them appears like discontinued. Does somebody have some information about where to buy it?

manrique's avatar
    manrique

New West for Him by Aramis

Es un perfume muy especial y distintivo.
    It is a very special perfume and distinguishing characteristic that it deserves a return. Same campaign would make for DK Men, Giorgio and Macassar

cool's avatar
    cool
    Poland Poland

Vetyver by L'Occitane

A copy of Gucci Envy with subtle vetyver twist...
    The base notes are really nice - herbal, fresh and slightly oriental, but I can smell also something similar to base notes of Body Kouros.
    Anyway very original scent. Not for true vetyver fans, though.

Fred's avatar
    Fred

Vetiver Eau Glacée by Guerlain

A great summer fragrance, fresh and long lasting.

keg's avatar
    keg

Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

The only time I was blown away by response to a cologne was with this stuff. My cousin had some with him recently so I put some on. An hour later I bump into two 19 year old girls--I hardly knew them and you would have thought I was a pro ball player the way they were on me. Yes I am a good looking guy but this mist unlocks some primal mechanism that usually takes a long time to reach.
    Now I just need to see how it works on the 20-somethings. Thanks Liz!

Scentsational's avatar
    Scentsational

Yang by Jacques Fath

I bought this under similar circumstances as Dave. It was Ruslan's review and 8 or so positive reviews at perfumeemporium that convinced me to buy this blindly and I've no regrets. I think it is the finest and most masculine of the green tea scents, a note that is very middle of the road in being clean, fresh and unisex. The addition of spices gives this just the right zing and allows it to be worn in cool weather. The best $20 I ever spent in fragrance dollars.

03 August, 2004 (Last Edited: 14 December, 2010)

Lynx White Label by Axe / Lynx

In case anyone's interested, Lynx White Label is the same as Axe Tsunami (N.America) and Axe Maniac (S.America).

Axe Tsunami by Axe / Lynx

Axe Tsunami is one of the nicest fragrances. It is the same as Axe Maniac (S.America) and Lynx White Label Limited Edition (UK). Top Stuff

Axe Kilo by Axe / Lynx

Axe Kilo is to be honest a chick magnet. I don't know 1 girl who dnt like it. Anyway it's the same as Lynx Africa (UK), Axe Africa (EU), Axe African Amber (S.Africa/Middle East) & Axe Native (S.America).

bitterorange's avatar
    bitterorange

Vetiver Eau Glacée by Guerlain

Love it,in fact i've been wearing it most of the summer here in Ireland,but it does seem to be weaker than Vetiver.It only seems to last 2 to 3 hours on me but it is a lovely scent almost a citrus/menthol in nature.I'd recommend it if you can get it.By the way it was to be released here in Ireland but never made it.Whats up Guerlain?If you dont supply you can't sell!!!

04 August, 2004 (Last Edited: 27 August, 2004)

eric's avatar
    eric
    Netherlands Netherlands

Cuiron Pour Homme by Helmut Lang

Man! I think I have found my holy grail(until now).I agree with all the other thumbs up,and have nothing more to ad,except I love this fragrance.

HugoBoss's avatar
    HugoBoss

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

Well it may be very popular a few years back but it is not now and its a very very good fragrance and i can call it a must have as it really is very good and lasts for long, it you have had polo sport and hugo boss and dunhill desire then try this one too..its the best among these

MonkeyManMatt's avatar
    MonkeyManMatt
    Sweden Sweden

Ungaro III by Ungaro

To add a few words: Ungaro III still holds it's position as the best fall fragrance. It 's like bottled autumn really. Dark and manly but earthy and with pronounced rose as well. This should be worn under layers of tweed walking in a foggy english park with yellow leaves surrounding you on the ground.
    A very fine blend that deserves to be discovered by many.

04 August, 2004 (Last Edited: 25 September, 2005)

opalsdad's avatar
    opalsdad

Le Parfum de Thérèse by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

This is one magnificent fragrance! It is somewhat similar to Diorella but has its own flavour. The scent of plums and leather gives it an unusual edge and it could be worn by either men or women - in my opinion. All of M. Malle's are made with the best ingredients available and it really shows in the quality of this and the other scents in the line. Roudnitska was a great perfumer and it is wonderful to see a new creation.

sandyw7592's avatar
    sandyw7592

En Passant by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Almost shockingly beautiful, with an unabashed yet disciplined floral character; very pure and light but strong. En Passant's combination of lushness and simplicity feels absolutely right - almost inevitable, in the way of all great craft. The notes include orange leaf, cucumber and wheat absolute. It's not an especially green scent; the lilac note is too clear and definite for that. But the overall effect is gentle and somehow soothing. It's a very discreet but lingering scent

I can't say it better than I did on the board earlier. En Passant didn't sneak up on me, or overwhelm me with its beauty, or anything so radical as that. It simply smelled as it ought to smell; it smelled like something that I had always loved, without knowing it, as if it were impossible to imagine a time when I didn't love it. To create a scent that one immediately falls in love with is the perfumer's art; to create a scent that feels like something one has always loved is that art raised to the level of miracle.

tradesman's avatar
    tradesman
    China China

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Habit Rouge, so named after the monks who wear a red 'habit' should be applied with great care. The initial smell is omnipresent and potent. Wander around your room and give it a good 20-30 mins to allow its wonderous scent to permeate every facet of your skin then hit the town. Questions like "what's thats scent?" will abound. A truly classic fragrance that,sadly is not too well known amidst the sweet scents and fragrances one 'tends to pick up' at duty-free departure halls around the globe.All in all, a classic scent that,thankfully, will never go out of style.

TriMeX's avatar
    TriMeX

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

This is a very sexy scent when worn correctly...sadly the majority of men when wearing any fragrance put far too much on; use an after-shave as a scent or fragrance and judge how a fragrance smells after picking up the tester bottle and sniffing it...I mean, come on, do you really know whose nose was there before yours ?!?! haha
    With this scent, less is more...or rather when used correctly. When not worn the right way, it is easy to see how people can come to the conclusion that it is sickly sweet and when worn correctly, the dimensions of this fragrance are free to develop into one of the sexiest fragrances ever. Try having a smell of the Deo-stick tester next time you stroll through your local retailer; when worn correctly, this clean refreshing smell can be clearly noticed when wearing the EDT.
    One of the longest lasting EDTs I have come across, and probably the most comprehensive bath line for a male fragrance. - A true masterpiece.
    Ohh, and I'm pretty sure that the "Gourmand" classification is reserved for the TM Universe...I don't think Michael Edwards PDM refers to any fragrance as a Gourmand.
    A*MEN / AngelMEN is defiantly not a horizontal fragrance; but seriously, you should try it a few times properly before condemning it.

CyberGene's avatar
    CyberGene

Chrome by Azzaro

Well, I bought this fragrance after reading all the reviews here. At the shop I have tried it and at the beginning it was really like CK One. I was very hesitant in whether I should buy it, since there are so many clones of this fragrance. There are 1 euro equivalents, of course. However I decided to take the risk and I bought it - it's not that bad in the long run. For me it is just an average fresh scent. Well, the magic began later. I sprayed it twice on my hand and on my shirt and immediately after going at the office I received a compliment from a cute girl :) At the launch another girl asked me what I was wearing. And my sister also asked me about it. So, I had three compliments the very first day. I will see what will be tomorrow... :) By the way, it is lasting for the whole day and although it is almost identical to all these CK One-ish fragrances out there, it has very subtle yet pleasant afterscent that dominates after an hour, and thus makes it possibly the best variation of that smell - others are either too sharp or too sweet; this is just the right one!

05 August, 2004

Dr.Gonzo's avatar
    Dr.Gonzo

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Totally overrated. Don't let the name "Armani" decide what you buy. If you like smelling like soap I suppose it´s OK. It is very sharp and too common, this one lacks personality. Women like it I've heard, perhaps they should wear it. Try the latest Van Gil instead.

05 August, 2004