Fragrance Reviews from August 2004

sbbbjm's avatar

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

Chanel is so good at this whole fragrance thing! i'm not usually a fan of fresher colognes (because it seems like everyone and their brother in my generation can only handle the safe fresh stuff i.e. abercrombie, issey, polo sport, curve etc), but this one stood out. its starts off with a tiny bit of spiciness, but overall its equal parts of dry wood/greeness and freshness. the wood/green becomes less pronounced after about an hour and your left with a clean fresh smell with a tinge of wood. this is a very well made fragrance. it develops about 3 times (bit of wood, less wood, no wood but super fresh). last a mighty long time! i put it on one morning and could smell it about 30 hours later (its not really strong, but it has very impressive lasting power). so fresh and so clean, clean!

24 August, 2004

sbbbjm's avatar

Purple Label by Ralph Lauren

it starts off an earthy green and a bit fresh and definitely crisp. then the leather and tobacco flower creep up a bit more releasing a more masculine scent. dries down smelling of a warm leather, with a tiny bit of a sweet edge to it. i don't really think of it as powdery though. only complaint i have is that it lasts maybe 2 hours at most. i have to spray lots, like 6 sprays. a light, leathery, warm blend. even though i was expecting something a little more potent and sophisticated seeing that it's named after RL's most coveted men's line of clothing, it's sufficient.

24 August, 2004

goadron's avatar

Benetton Sport Man by Benetton

It's unique scent - transparent and romantic, besides sporty use. And the price is very good.
    goadron , Bulgaria

25 August, 2004

Griff's avatar

Gap Blue No. 655 Him by Gap

This was a favorite when it first came out. I don't get the "driftwood" (what the hell does THAT smell like???). This is a clean, strong, watery scent--very safe--that lasts and lasts and lasts. Always garnered plently of "snnnnniiiifff.... what is THAT you are wearing?" Mostly from women but sometimes from men <sigh>. Sniffing it now brings back fond memories of a younger, callow and totally unexplored nose.
    When I heard it was going out of production a few years ago, I bought 20 boxes.
    And there they sit....

25 August, 2004 (Last Edited: 02 January, 2012)

Concord's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Rush for Men by Gucci

On me the clear woods and light musks melds with my own skin and smells warm, but never sweet, which is unusual on me. I underdtand this doesn't work for everyone, but it's one of my staples. I have used up several bottles allready.

26 August, 2004

AZsmells's avatar

M7 Fresh by Yves Saint Laurent

This is a great summer scent. Citrus top notes combine with the traditional M7 woods. M7 is too strong for me but thist Fresh is just fresh! Lasts a long time too.

Trotsky's avatar

England England

Hero by Prince Matchabelli

Hero is aweful! It gives a lovely fresh burst initially but dries down IMO to a smell not unlike a cheap plug-in air freshener.
    Without wanting to tread on Marcel's toes, I would venture to suggest that the lovely Gilberte would not have bought this scent for her little papa. What M. de Charlus would have thought of it I do not dare to think!
    Trotsky

Trotsky's avatar

England England

YSL pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Marcel has said it all

No. 22 by Chanel

Yes, I agree. A very confident scent, with a very rich powdery quality, a fragrance I could see Madonna wearing while she wears a white patent leather go-go girl outfit from the sixties in London (e.g., Austin Powers era). One of the best women's fragrances in the Chanel line.

Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

I smelled this fragrance wafting down the hallway at work as I followed "Niecey," the girl in accounting. I just had to compliment her on her fragrance. At first, I thought it was Angel by Thierry Mugler, but she informed me it was Coco Mademoiselle. I prefer Angel to Coco Mademoiselle, but they are in the even running.

Versace Woman by Versace

I smelled Versace Woman on a coworker from the CFO's office. I just had to compliment her on this unique fragrance. It did, however, remind me of an old fragrance I had at home by Fendi called Life Essence for men. I suppose I could get my wearing Versace Woman since it smells like one of Fendi's men's fragrances. I believe Versace Woman has more essential oils, because it lasts longer.

Jovan Ginseng for Men by Jovan

Not the same as Ginseng N-R-G, but better! Bottle was square and black, with Japanese characters on it, with a large round aluminum cap. Smelled wonderful, mysterious, and intriguing, like many of the other DISCONTINUED Jovan fragrances, especially Monsieur Jovan and Jovan SportScent, as well as Andron. Hey, Jovan, why don't you bring these all back, they would do well with today's younger as well as older generation. Do it!

CoL's avatar

Samsara Shine by Guerlain

Lighter, fruiter version of Samsara. More suitable for day/summer wear.
    Much niceness!

CoL's avatar

Shalimar Eau Légère Parfumée by Guerlain

Very much a modern take on Shalimar to my nose. The dry down is quite different but still veery nice indeed.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

There isn't that much one can add to the reviews already posted. Unique, and extremely classy. Expensive, yes, but well worth the price. This is one of my all-time favorite scents.

Santa Maria Novella by Santa Maria Novella

This goes straight into my top five. Reminiscent of Acqua Di Parma, but slightly lighter, and not so sweet on my skin. I love it.

Anvers by Ulrich Lang

Really wanted to like this scent, but just couldn't. Anvers just doesn't work for me at all. Original, yes, it really doesn't smell like anything else out there, but that's where it stops for me. Words that come to mind: offensive, vulgar and inelegant.

Richard James by Richard James

Very sophisticated, one of the most exiting new scents around. Contains a plethora of ingredients such as: Bergamot, Mandarin, Clean Starched Shirt Accord (!), Ginger, Green Tea Leaves, Petitgrain Citronnier, Rosemary, Basil, Cardamom, Coriander, Evening Dew Tuberose, Lily of the Valley, Moroccan Rose, Lavender, Suede, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Tobacco, Amber, Vetiver, Musk and Oak Moss. Have received many, many compliments when wearing this scent, and it is definitely one of my personal favorites. Better suited for Autumn and Winter; funnily enough, it even smells a bit like Christmas.

's avatar

Prada (new) by Prada

This is a beautiful scent, not terribly innovative, but warm and comforting. Amber is the star here, and there's a faintly leathery quality to it. Prada is sweet but not cloying, sensual but not trashy. It's just very wearable, highly versatile. I really enjoy it.

solar's avatar

Elite by Floris

An anniversary gift to me from my fiance. I love it, its very floral and mellow. Could last a bit longer, but great nonetheless.

Fiveoaks_Bouquet's avatar

No. 19 by Chanel

No. 19 is a truly wearable green. Love the way the galbanum, iris, leather and vetiver notes unfold. (Please add vetiver to the base notes.) Edt is like a forest with sunshine filtering through the leaves; parfum is like those parts of the forest where sunshine cannot penetrate. That's my take on it anyway. Edp's notes are more blended together and not as individually discernable as in the other two forms, IMHO. Thanks for the opportunity to review and for a great website!

Fleurs de Rocaille by Caron

This is one of my all time favorite scents. It's the one that Al Pacino singles out, at the end of SCENT OF A WOMAN. Unfortunately, the fragrance was 'modernized' after that movie debuted. I prefer the original version, spelled Fleurs, not Fleur. It's floral, but with a sophisticated, rocky undertone. Just the perfect blend. Classic.

Nu Eau de Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent

I love this scent, but to me it's quite unisex. I've even been told at Bergdorf's in New York, that both the edp and edt Nu, are considered unisex, leaning to men. In any case, I prefer the edp, but the lighter version is lovely, too.

Nu Eau de Toilette by Yves Saint Laurent

If you go to sites out of Europe, they list this as Nu for MEN. I was told in New York that BOTH the edp and the edt Nu, are considered unisex, leaning to men. To me, however, the edt is more feminine than the edp. It's very fresh, but with spice and vanilla. Gorgeous bottle. I've heard that Nu will be discontinued in the United States, very soon.

Leo's avatar

Baldessarini by Baldessarini

This is an ambery cyphre, and there's nothing really new about its (very pleasant) overture: once again a fragrance strongly reminiscent of the original Perry Ellis for Men. So, it feels like Gucci Envy for a bit, then it takes an abrupt turn towards fruity aldehydic: first it's pure Babe, then the raspberry and the peach come to the surface and the whole stuff starts smelling a little bit too artificial for my taste. But not TOO much, and somehow I suspect this one is a grower.

31st August, 2004 (Last Edited: 20th November, 2004)

Eau Fraîche by Christian Dior

Eau Fraiche is an all time favorite of mine. I am a male, who finds this fragrance altogether unisex. It's citrus-y and powdery and delightful. It does not overpower, and is wonderful in warmer weather.

Diorella by Christian Dior

This is a beautiful, summer time fragrance. It's the feminine version of Eau Sauvage. Highly professional, never overpowers.

Parure by Guerlain

This is an absolutely gorgeous, haunting, elegant fragrance. It was difficult to find for so long. How lucky we are to have Parure available again. Believe it or not, I find this to be slightly masculine, perhaps because of the woody base. Distinctive, but classic.

Mr._Longrove's avatar

Weekend for Men by Burberry

Great fragrance for warm summer days. Lasts just long enough too.

31st August, 2004 (Last Edited: 11th January, 2007)