Fragrance Reviews from September 2004

Connoisseur's avatar

GFT by Geo F Trumper

Trumper GFT is one of the best well-balanced classic citrus fragrances I've tried. It comes on strong with top notes of mandarin, bergamot and lemon, middle notes of tarragon, lavender and cypress with a base of musk, cedarwood and moss. The cypress really shows up as it dries down along with a pleasant, light oakmoss note. If you aren't a fan of highly mossy fragrances (like myself), don't worry; the moss note is very light. A classy, casual scent with a classic, fresh, barbershop citrus feel. GFT is a very nice fragrance and it lasts pretty well too.

Dennis's avatar

Concentré D'Orange Verte by Hermès

A slightly deeper and longer-lasting version of the original D'Orange Verte. Instantly recognizable as the amazing and unique citrus classic. Unfailingly uplifting to wear!

mgarisbn's avatar

Omnia by Bulgari

This is an unusual scent. I wouldn't call it a perfume. It's more like an extention of one's chemistry. It develops toward a chocolate dry down. This one takes getting used to. Sample first.

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme by Van Cleef & Arpels

Van Cleef & Arpels is the one that started it all for me. After running through several small bottles from a closeout source I searched the web looking for a replacement and discovered Basenotes.
    It is still a favorite for me and always will be, even as my niche collection now rivals the house scents in number.
    VC&A is a remarkable creation, bringing together a fresh green, lovely clove, and deep sandal beautifully, and of course more complex than that would imply.
    Elegent, masculine, and mature.

02 September, 2004 (Last Edited: 07 October, 2004)

Xeryus by Givenchy

Xeryus is an early favored scent upon my return to fragrances some ten years ago. I would compare it as a fresh competitor to Kouros, rather than likening it to Nobile, which I abhor and see no similarity to at all.
    Xeryus typifies the "fresh fougre" to me perfectly and starts with a citrusy lavendar, the lavendar persisting into the very ambery drydown, which helps retain the fresh edge.
    While a bit clubby and bold, not so much so as to exclude day use or casual options as well. My only regret is seeing the outstanding black bottle being replaced by a very mundane one.
    BTW, Xeryus lasts too, and doesn't turn nasty on the drydown either.

02 September, 2004

kcwarr's avatar

Brit for Men by Burberry

This is a gorgeous scent. Its woodsy and manly, but gentle and sophisticated. I like the inclusion of wild roses. Its very sexy.

02 September, 2004

Ahijb's avatar

Baldessarini by Baldessarini

I registered on this site simply to write this review. Baldessarini is the greatest scent I have experienced thus far. I came to this conclusion after spending over 4 hours at the mall with a friend smelling EVERY cologne we could. While there were many greats--Very Sexy for Him and Acqua di Gio are the other two I purchased at that time--every time we would find our "new favorite" we were truly disappointed upon retesting Baldessarini. I say disappointed because I expected an exciting competition, but nothing else even came close. I could not find any scent that is more sophisticated, classic, subtle yet lasting, or more enjoyable than Baldessarini. I am 20 years old, and while some might say I am too young for this fragrance, I could never give it up. Simply put, buy it.

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Ah, the infamous Kouros. How can it be? A consistent sales leader across Europe. Kouros is much bolder than the politely correct fragrances of late which seem to be engineered to avoid offending by not saying much.
    But for those times when one does want an aura of the dynamic, rather than either the ubiquitouos soft drink smell or candy and bake goods, Kouros will satisify. And then some. It's not for the fainthearted but for a real fougre experience, and animal appeal, I still like to go for the original.
    Kouros starts out brisk and spicy to catch attention even in the most crowded venue, and the lasting incense in the base carries into the cozy wee hours, if you know what I mean, getting better and better.

Joshaugustt's avatar

H.O.T. Always by Bond No. 9

HOT ALWAYS IS GREAT!!! I AGREE WITH REVIEW BY EVOGEL. IT'S A VERY WARM, UNIQUE, AND LONG LASTING SCENT. IT'S ONE OF THE BEST WARM, SPICY SCENTS, I'VE FOUND IN MANY YEARS. IT'S VERY EXPENSIVE, BUT IT'S WORTH A TRY. 9-04-04

cliffbeach727's avatar

Omnia by Bulgari

I absolutely love this fragrance. It starts off a bit strong, but it mellows down to a delightful sexy fragrance--a lot of sandalwood, but other notes as well that together make this one of my favorite scents. I am ordinarily more of a oceany or fruity fragrance person, but Omnia is soooo good that my usual rules go out the window.

04 September, 2004

L'Instant de Guerlain by Guerlain

I'm not an expert but when I purchased this for my mother I was looking for something that evoked an idea of maternity. This perfume was to me evocative of sunshine,soap, and a mother's caress. It would not suit the flippant woman, or one given to sarcasm, it is not a frivolous fragrance, but it's not a chintzy over the top perfume either.
    I think the main notes are citrus magnolia and amber

Blue Stratos by Parfums Bleu

I remember seeing this in my Dad's bedroom when I was a boy. It was launched two years before I was born. I can't ever remember smelling it, but the bottle and logo are unforgettable.

Vialman's avatar

Brit for Men by Burberry

A muted/powdery fragrance that dries down to a musky warm woody base. Very pleasant, versatile, and classic. Can't wait to get a bottle...or two:)) Ernie G.

levan's avatar

Very Sexy for Him 2 by Victoria's Secret

I tried this the other day when I was in a Victoria's Secret. It was extremely light and very run of the mill. However, I do have the first very sexy which I recieved as a gift. I also thought this was light and run of the mill, however recently I have really began to like it. So read this knowing that in a few months I might post again saying how much I love VS2.

scentimus's avatar

Colors Uomo by Benetton

This is one of the most unique scents to come from the 80's. Actually it really has a 80's feeling to it. It starts off fresh like a lemon sweet tart candy drop after mid way through the scent it changes to very adult with deep woods contrasted with sweet vanilla.

rosbergs3's avatar

Salvador Dali pour Homme by Salvador Dali

You're in a dark forest in Transylvania. You can barely see in front of you. You are terrified because you are hearing praises being given to Satan and screams of people's throats being slit. Off in the distance you see a bright, orange light. The closer you get you see that it is an gargantuan bon fire. Hooded figures in black are circling the fire. Underneath the hoods you can see that they are grotesque, demon-like people. Black, puffy, clouds of billowing smoke are everywhere. Black, sooty ash is hovering all around you. Blood is covering the ground and the hooded figures. Your corneas are seared by the blinding brightness of the fire. This is what Salvador Dali pour Homme smells like.

No Debate by Body Shop

This was one of the very first fragrances I used. I must have been about 18 when I first bought No Debate. It seemed to suit me really well - and then one day it was gone. Full markto Body Shop for creating, but what a bad show at letting it be discintinued.

08 September, 2004

up2thecrest's avatar

Cool Water Deep by Davidoff

smells much better than juergen. its smell nice.with a non-german scent.

08 September, 2004

CoL's avatar

Dunhill Edition by Dunhill

SUPERB scent. Just landed myself a new 100ml edt spray too so I'm much happiness ;o)

Dry_Martini's avatar

Spain Spain

Jack Black Signature Silver Mark by Jack Black

great fragance,is sex in a bottle,spicy and fresh.

Mark_Vince's avatar

No. 74 Original by Taylor of Old Bond Street

There are a number of fragrances about which I struggle to find superlatives. Unfortunately this isn't one of them. Cloying and slightly musty, "The bottom of your auntie's handbag" springs to mind.

Connoisseur's avatar

Subtil pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

Subtil reminds me at first a little of Rykiel Grey, but it's a scoche less spicy. It's a simple, spicy, aquatic fragrance with a lingering fruit note, a woody base and a slightly ambery dry down. I like the top notes but completely dislike the dry down. 15 minutes after spraying the top and middle notes seem to fade down to nothing, leaving nothing but a dank woody dry down. Though initially it smells pretty good, the dry down is so poor and boring that I have to give it a thumbs down.

's avatar

Nude by Bill Blass

The first time I smelled Nude I thought it to be plastic and cheap-smelling. But I could not stop sniffing myself!! I think it's so much fun to wear and I love how synthetic-smelling Nude is. It's a beautiful blend, smooth with nothing protruding; crisp and fresh, like cotton starched and freshly ironed, and yet deliciously creamy and sultry at the same time. It holds true and is very long-lasting. I'm not sure it's linear but definitely straight forward and consistent from start to finish. I also love the box and the bottle. I think they're perfect for the perfume and I just love handling them and looking at them.

's avatar

Omnia by Bulgari

I highly recommend Omnia as an oriental for anyone who doesn't care for the heavy, strong orientals. Omnia is not an ambery oriental, but a woody oriental; loaded with spices, yes, but a dash of this and a pinch of that, just the right amounts and beautifully blended, in my opinion. While not linear, it seems to change little on me from start to finish. The saffron is most noticeable to me on opening along with some ginger, followed very quickly by a tea note; it then becomes very woody, almost drylike, and then a sweetness begins to emerge. I think its perfect balance is both its glory and its downfall and why it is thought by some to be so unremarkable, so forgettable. Omnia, I would have to agree, is nothing extraordinary; it's certainly not earth-shattering, revolutionary, ground-breaking.... It is, however, a delightful and lovely perfume.

Trotsky's avatar

England England

Balafre by Lancôme

It is all the things people have said and fresh enough to be worn in spring and autumn - but not in high summer.
    It is still available from Scentdirect and the Lancome Institute in Paris (althoughit does not feature as a current scent on the official site). Lancome Paris do offer a range of their heritage fragrances including Sagamore.
    John King aka Trotsky
    England

davido's avatar

Higher Energy by Christian Dior

I like this one a lot, didnt find the older brother Higher, long-lasting, but this one is long-lasting!

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser by 4711

I love this fragrance and use it often when I want to feel instantly cool, clean, and fresh.
    My grandmother had a bottle with a little roller ball applicator in the top. I had to good fortune to purchase mine at the 4711 premises.

No. 74 Original by Taylor of Old Bond Street

I'm with Peter and have to give a thumbs down. It smells like a whore's handbag. I wore it for three hours trying to give it a chance. It's disgusting. Unfortunately I can't find any other word for it. I would love to know what is in it.

davido's avatar

Kenzoair by Kenzo

Tried this one today., and it smells really horrible! I cant describe it, but it smells like vegetabilian garbage, very unpleasent.

12 September, 2004

mariusg82's avatar

H.M. by Hanae Mori

An amazing fragrance. The best off all time. It's my signiture scent. I simply adore it. Everyone loves it on me. It lasts forever. For winter month use the edp as it's more powerfull.

12 September, 2004