Fragrance Reviews from September 2004

Obsession by Calvin Klein

The smell is ok but too strong for me. I have to put on very little amount. It just makes me dizzy.

Cool Water Woman by Davidoff

smells so good. love it !!! very fresh scent.

Les Belles de Ricci - Liberté Acidulée / Liberty Fizz by Nina Ricci

The green one smells very good. I really love it. It's so sweet and feminine.

milamber's avatar
    milamber

Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

I am really struck by how similar Curve smells to Creed's Green Irish Tweed! This has been mentioned before but i was a bit sceptical because i kept thinking, how can a mass marketed scent smell so similar to a legendary Creed! I've gotten into collecting Creed recently and the association just simply refuses to connect for me. My first impression was that GIT and Curve are very similar, definitely in the same family. Upon closer inspection/testing i've found:

Curve lacks the projection ability of GIT. I sprayed 2 spritz of Curve on my chest and 2 on each wrist, put on my clothes and went out to do some shopping. Nothing! I barely got a drift of scent from my wrists but nothing emanated from my clothes. The "Caron 3rd Man" effect just wasn't there! Last night i tried the same thing with GIT. Frankly, i expected a resounding success and i wasn't disappointed. Some Creeds may have longevity issues on some people, but none i've tried have had problems with producing sillage IMO. I went out last night to an all-night cafe wearing just two spritz of GIT on my chest and it was pumping out plumes of GIT notes throughout. My pals noticed it, their girlfriends noticed it even more!

So, the question now is: Is GIT a more potent/concentrated Curve or is Curve the poor man's GIT? While GIT has a citric topnote that turns green rapidly, Curve goes straight to the point of being green with a slightly vanillic base that mimics the sandalwood + ambergris base of GIT. Upon application, Curve immediately expands its notes, like a Chinaman spreading his wares on the sidewalk of Chinatown, while GIT (and most Creeds) prefers to keep things strictly regimented. You get one dominant note, it subsides and you get another and another and so on, like buying jewellery. You could say that GIT does it with style and panache while Curve exudes youthful exuberance and brashful energy. Being exuberant, Curve also tires itself out faster and doesn't last as long as GIT, spritz vs spritz. GIT takes its time, nice and slow, playing out a mellow soulful tune before hitting the basenotes. I think this is the attraction for the opposite sex. GIT promises a prolonged engagement of a pleasurable encounter. Afterall, why does GIT attract men of substance like Clint Eastwood and Robert Redford? Like attracts like IMO.

The problem now is: With the availability of Curve, is GIT worth it? Tough one to answer. I have both and can see situational applications for them but i came by both by "accident". I had to try out the legendary Creed in my lifetime (Eastwood and Redford being two of my fav actors of all time) and the Curve is a rare scent in my country, hard to come by plus nothing in the mainstream smells quite like these two. In terms of situational use, yes i believe they have a particular niche area, i'd use Curve for a day outing exclusively, while GIT for evening wear and more serious stuff where i want to feel special and confident and flirt. But what adds fuel to the fire is the price and questions of value that will inevitably cross the minds of discerning buyers with limited budgets for scents. I will go out on the limb here and say go for the GIT over the Curve. Narrow the price gap by buying from Ebay or do what i did, swap with a basenoter of excellent repute (cool from Poland in my case). I will not go into the debate of "buying retail for peace of mind" because i think you can spot a fake Creed a mile away, the Creed note being the first thing you look for unless it's a vintage line. But if you already have Curve, and think it's the beez kneez, finish that bottle unless like me, you want to explore the significance of GIT.

milamber's avatar
    milamber

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Curve lacks the projection ability of Green Irish Tweed. I sprayed 2 spritz of Curve on my chest and 2 on each wrist, put on my clothes and went out to do some shopping. Nothing! I barely got a drift of scent from my wrists but nothing emanated from my clothes. The "Caron 3rd Man" effect just wasn't there! Last night i tried the same thing with GIT. Frankly, i expected a resounding success and i wasn't disappointed. Some Creeds may have longevity issues on some people, but none i've tried have had problems with producing sillage IMO. I went out last night to an all-night cafe wearing just two spritz of GIT on my chest and it was pumping out plumes of GIT notes throughout. My pals noticed it, their girlfriends noticed it even more!

The problem now is: With the availability of Curve, is GIT worth it? Tough one to answer. I have both and can see situational applications for them but i came by both by "accident". I had to try out the legendary Creed in my lifetime (Eastwood and Redford being two of my fav actors of all time) and the Curve is a rare scent in my country, hard to come by plus nothing in the mainstream smells quite like these two. In terms of situational use, yes i believe they have a particular niche area, i'd use Curve for a day outing exclusively, while GIT for evening wear and more serious stuff where i want to feel special and confident and flirt. But what adds fuel to the fire is the price and questions of value that will inevitably cross the minds of discerning buyers with limited budgets for scents. I will go out on the limb here and say go for the GIT over the Curve. Narrow the price gap by buying from Ebay or do what i did, swap with a basenoter of excellent repute (Œcool¹ from Poland in my case). I will not go into the debate of "buying retail for peace of mind" because i think you can spot a fake Creed a mile away, the Creed note being the first thing you look for unless it's a vintage line. But if you already have Curve, and think it's the beez kneez, finish that bottle unless like me, you want to explore the significance of GIT.

williamsagency's avatar
    williamsagency

Brit for Men by Burberry

This is by far the best Burberry fragrance yet. Just got a new bottle yesterday. It seems to be a combination of fresh citrus and oriental spices, if that's possible. It definitely doesn't smell like anything else out there. I am a big Creed and Chanel wearer, and have literally hundreds of bottles of fragrance. I will definitely wear this one much more than usual. I highly recommend this fragrance to anyone who wishes to try something different. It's simply awesome!....Early Williams, The Williams Agency Model Management, Chapel Hill, NC

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

It's a terribly exotic fragrance to me!!Its smell is repulsive... I hated it!

13 September, 2004 (Last Edited: 19 September, 2004)

Ferrari (Red) by Ferrari

It´s a Nice scent!When I first smelled it, I thought it was too sweet to represent the agressive Formula one race cars, but then I was captivate by this beautiful scent!!

One Man Show by Jacques Bogart

Excellent! This fragrance is really a classic one!! It gives me an absolut serious looking and all the girls really like it... But here in Brazil, you gotta take care when wearing it, because the smell becames a little strong due to the hot weather.

Sergio Tacchini Uomo by Sergio Tacchini

This one's for those who like citric scents! Very refreshing, pure lemmon/orange. Good staying power too. Thumbs up!

13 September, 2004 (Last Edited: 27 September, 2004)

Aura for Women by Jacomo

It begins without much complexity. It’s got a bouquet of fruits and then the floral notes come out. They’re very soft floral notes, slightly sweet, but overall fruity and a little insincere. The base is rounded out nicely with a little hint of vanilla and orris. When the base comes out it almost has a carnation quality, much like Eternity, which is very nice.

Parfum d'Été by Kenzo

The updated version of this is very floral with a plastic freshness, similar to Eau Torride. The musk in the base is not particularly complex but overall it works with the fragrance to create the sense of warm floral sap. The bottle is beautiful but the scent is mediocre.

L'Eau par Kenzo by Kenzo

This is an amazing scent which has a unisex quality. It is very fresh with a distinct liquid feel. The citrus is subtle and there are cool floral notes of rose and mimosa over the base which smells like liquid hay. It’s quite remarkable: one of the best scents ever created by Kenzo.

Mat; by Masakï Matsushïma

This isn’t a very complex scent, something along similar lines to 212 and Paul Smith. It has a floral melon top note and a musky base with little to speak of in between.

Sonia Rykiel by Sonia Rykiel

Well, if you can’t afford Angel or Angel Innocent then buy this fragrance. It’s more like Innocent as it has a soft citrus character rather than that cloying nature of Angel. It’s not quite as sweet but a little fresher and woodier. It’s very well produced even if it’s not an original concept. Of the other Angel try-hards (ie Wish etc), this is the most credible and can hold its own ground as a perfume.

L'Eau de Sonia Rykiel by Sonia Rykiel

This is just beautifully produced. It’s a very soft fresh floral, like muguet and jasmine combined with orange blossom. It has light citrus notes and a nice woody musky base which is very delicate but refreshing. It’s a great summer scent which is particularly popular with the young crowd. If it were fruitier it would be similar to Light Blue or Dolly Girl but it has to be put in a league of its own.

V/S Women by Versace

This is an amazing citrus floral fragrance with lime notes that hit you straight away. It then calms down to make way for the soft floral notes and the fresh zingy woods. It is so similar to the men’s version and equally as unique and wearable.

Metal Jeans Women by Versace

This is less successful than the men’s version. It has a nice white-floral start which holds well but is a bit like air freshener. Then the base notes are nice and woody with the animal scent of musk. It’s more aggressive than the men’s version but still a great member of the vast Versace family.

Coriolan by Guerlain

It has very sharp notes of citrus and cedarwood which are too strong for me. It is similar to Green Jeans by Versace but a little fruitier and not as sharp. The immortelle floral notes in the middle are subtle but do help soften this scent as does as a soft spicy musk/tobacco. Overall it asserts its masculinity with very little subtlety. It's not aimed at a young market who would wear fresh lively scents: this is more of a middle aged man's fragrance.

Paradox for Men Green by Jacomo

It opens with a similar fruity citrus to Un Jardin en Meditérrané, but not so insipidly fruity. Then it holds a similar fig note throughout which is probably from a combination of the tonka bean, spice and citrus. It’s got a distinct green quality from the violet leaf which remains strong throughout the scent. It’s similar to Paul Smith Extreme and Live jazz but not as sharp and tangy. It’s sensual and the spices are used in a way that heightens that sensuality: it is almost reminiscent of green chai tea. The base has that distinct hot quality of gaiacwood. Overall it’s not unique but it’s very nice: it’s got the wearable quality of a t-shirt fresh from the wash.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 5 Sherbet: Rhubarb by Comme des Garçons

This is stunning and quite unlike the very spicy scents that Comme are famous for. It is very green with subtle floral notes. You can pick up that distinctive bitter aromatic green of rhubarb leaf over the soft floral and slightly spicy sweet base. It’s much more versatile and easy to wear than previous Comme scents.

suemazrn's avatar
    suemazrn

Spring Flower by Creed

Love this fragrance. It's a lovely crisp and fruity floral that is very feminine and fresh. I always feel good wearing it.

brakko's avatar
    brakko

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

i tried it today. very nice. starts intense (like a-men) but unfortunately ends light (in a fruity way i think) . nevertheless worth try

E_Tan's avatar
    E_Tan

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Smells like a middle eastern or Indian bazaar, full of spices and very woody. Not for everyone.

E_Tan's avatar
    E_Tan

Perry Ellis m by Perry Ellis

Similar to Allure, less refined, less spicy, less sweet, and less character. I'll stick to Allure.

GCS's avatar
    GCS

Nutmeg & Ginger by Jo Malone

This starts out very nice and spicy, although not overpowering. However, after an hour or so, the ginger is gone and all that's left is nutmeg. A lot of nutmeg.

Joshaugustt's avatar
    Joshaugustt

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

B MEN will probably be 'almost' as successful, as A MEN.I LIKE IT! I don't know the individual notes, but it's very warm, woody, fresh scent...and it has very good staying power.This one is really worth trying. Josh Augustt 9-15-04

davido's avatar
    davido

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

Ah.. very nice!
    Allure sport is very fresh and sexy in a young way, not like grandfaders tabac or rive gauche ;)

16 September, 2004 (Last Edited: 19 August, 2006)

GregNYC's avatar
    GregNYC

The Baron by LTL

On a scale of 5 - Fragrance=4, Longevity=4.
    Yes it's dated, which is part of its nostalgic charm. According to a liner slip packed along with the bottle, here's what makes up the fragrance: TOP NOTES are basil, lavender, aromatic sage. MIDDLE NOTES are Egyptian jasmine, spicy carnation. BASE NOTES are sandalwood and vetiver. What I like about it is that after about 20 minutes it dries down into a quite long-lasting combination of vetiver, lavender and a clean-smelling soapiness. This fresh clean soapiness reminds me of Paco Rabanne but with a lavender twist instead of Paco's citrus.

16 September, 2004

Indie_Guy's avatar
    Indie_Guy

Kouros Cologne Sport by Yves Saint Laurent

I found Kouros to be too dated and over the top, but there was still something in it I was intrigued by. I got the Kouros Cologne Sport and at first found it simultaneously revolting and magnetic. It reminded by of some nightmares I had. To me it smelled somewhat "funereal" and conjured up images of burial linens. Spooky. Yet, I've come to love Kouros Cologne Sport. Its fresh and yet has hints of otherworldly dark things floating though it. It paints vivid picures in my mind when I sniff it. It took me a long time to warm up to it, but now its one of my top 3. I don't care what anyone else thinks- I wear THIS one for me! I can't say enough about it.

16 September, 2004