Fragrance Reviews from September 2004

thecheshirecat's avatar

Thé Pour un Été by L'Artisan Parfumeur

A nice cup of iced, minty jasmine tea... The "for a summer" part hits it right on the mark. I find Thé Pour un Été's more natural, softer touch to be preferable to Bvlgari Extreme. Perhaps not the most risqué but it's very well done.
    By the way I think this one is much more feminine than it is masculine, despite the unisex label.

16 September, 2004

tototwo's avatar

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

Very nice fall and winter scent with notes of citrus and spice that can take you into any season. Contrary, to what I have read this scent tends to go light on me and not as heavy as the orginal A*Men which is some of the best stuff around. Also, oddly enough, it even compliments A*Men. Excellent scent but could use a little more lasting power.

16 September, 2004

anjer95's avatar

Sir Irisch Moos by Sir

I like Sir Irisch Moos but according to me it is not avaible in Eindhoven, Holland, can anybody help me?

18 September, 2004

inter's avatar

Lacoste Eau de Sport by Lacoste

Ok.I am inter and...Iwant to find this perfum!!!

Herrera for Men by Carolina Herrera

Folks, It must be my nose, but the Clove note is too strong and annoying to me...I bought a 100ml bottle and I spent a lot of time to finish it!!!
    Its smell produced the same effect Kouros did on me. Essencially, It's not my kind of scent!

Lacoste (original) by Lacoste

For me this one is the best Fresh fragrance I've ver smelt!! It's very masculine e has a good staying power. While I'm wearing this scent, I feel like taking a shower!I truly recommend!

Legendary Harley-Davidson by Harley-Davidson

It's sweet and sensual but it's not long lasting. Nice fragrance!

Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren

I don't know... It's citric and aquatic, but that's sometihng that really makes me sick...Something annoying...Is It the ginger? I can't say...I got a small bottle and no signal of getting it empty!

Lacoste pour Homme by Lacoste

I think it's a very good scent and I'd rather wear it at night. Hot fragrance that makes sucess with girls! And got a great staying power on my skin!

Rectoverso Man Absolute Musk by Ulric de Varens

This scent starts very sweet and my first thought was that it wasn't so masculine...
    But the dry down proved me the scent has its beauty.

Diavolo by Antonio Banderas

I agree with Konstantin, it's staying power is weak... I thought it's too floral for me.

UDV Blue by Ulric de Varens

Refreshing, Aquatic, very casual! For those who doesn't like strong or sweet fragrances! the only problem is the weak staying power...

North Wind by O Boticário

It's a refreshing eau de cologne. Maybe the bergamot could have been softened... It's not a formal fragrance, perfect for wearing casually!

tariq's avatar

Qatar Qatar

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

IT WILL TURN ANY FROG TO A PRINCE.

Uzkalnis's avatar

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

It is very distinct and the smoky woody notes are heavy and unforgiving. It will NOT grow on you if you don't like it the first time. But if you DO like it the first time, you will like it more and more each day. For the simpler ones among us (including myself) - yes, it is the smell of pencil shavings, and uniquely that distinct memorable note sits in the dry-down, not on top. It is the papyrus wood: it reminds us of pencil shavings because sharpened pencils smell of soft warm wood and also the glossy soft paint that covers them. Someone asked here what to do if they discontinue this? I know. I will buy probably ten or twenty bottles to last me till the day I die. I honestly don't know of anything else quite SO accomplished. (Andrius Uzkalnis)

19 September, 2004 (Last Edited: 05 October, 2005)

Connoisseur's avatar

Paname by Keiko Mecheri

Keiko Mecheri's Paname is described as "A sweet and bitter composition of absinthe, rare spices, Comores vanilla flower, and powdery musk." To me is smells like a powdery, creamy, orange and vanilla fragrance. The bitter accord, which I assume is the absinthe, hides in the background and really doesn't interact much with the predominantly sweet and musky notes. It smells a lot like Roma Uomo only Paname is much more well blended and balanced making it much less cloying than Roma Uomo. Some have called Paname a masculine scent but I think it is more feminine than masculine, but still unisex. It really is very nice.

20th September, 2004

Fiura's avatar

Brit for Men by Burberry

A bewildering hybrid of Rochas Man and Voleur de roses. Actually it's quite interesting in a playful, unserious way.
    Try it!

20th September, 2004

CoL's avatar

Emporio Armani White He by Giorgio Armani

I love this scent. Light?? HECK NO! I can smell it all day. Don't really get the fruityness, just a nice mellow light musk.

Connoisseur's avatar

Jack Black Signature Silver Mark by Jack Black

Jack Black Signature is a very unique and highly rich woody fragrance beginning with a strong bergamot top note, a salty cypress wood note, a bevy of hot spices including a strong pimento note and a lovely lavender freshness. The base is extremely woody along with a strong patchouli note and a warm amber dry down. It is an extremely dark yet hot woody fragrance and it is very interesting, but there is a problem with it. The mix of salty cypress and spices ends up giving it an ever so slight smell like body odor. If you want a dark wood fragrance that works, get Cacharel instead.

GCS's avatar

Virgilio by Diptyque

This is a nice green scent that starts out very herbal, almost medicinal. It mellows out later, but keeps its fresh character. Lasts a long time too.

Kitty_Kat's avatar

Kenzoair by Kenzo

Anyone tried KenzoAir Intense EDT? It's more woody. But I prefer more the first clasic KenzoAir.

21st September, 2004 (Last Edited: 11th September, 2005)

Little_Cat's avatar

The Baron by LTL

One of the finest male fragrances of all times unlike any modern brew. Elegant and long lasting, it is great to have this silver bottle back once again after having been discontinued for so long. Your own body chemistry will make a huge difference; it is remarkable on some men and just doesn't work for others.
    dj

Mylene_Farmer's avatar

Daim Blond by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

New from Serge Lutens, it is inspired by a suede so fine, so soft, so barely perceptible to the touch, like skin on skin, an aura and sensation that intertwine to become one and the same. Combine Pallida iris from Tuscany, spicy apricot kernel and Ceylon cardamom, the clean accents of a fresh musk, a sprinkling of heliotrope and crystal clear hawthorn. All this is a delicate reminder of the finest leather. There are fragrances whose richness and character demand a different, stronger expression with higher concentration in order to truly imbue the heart with scent…for these fragrances Serge Lutens introduces a new collection: Eaux de Parfum Haute Concentration. The first creation of this new line, Daim Blond asserts its irresistible charm in a luminous fragrant trail and is adorned in new colours: a black box with a black label.

Zhoya's avatar

L'Eau du Navigateur by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I never got the coffee part; but when I was searching for leather, hand-polished wood, after-dinner brandies in the captain's cabin, with a good pipe-- this was my delight! Perfection for above scenario. I am devastated it has been discontinued, but as there are only about 20 of us in the world who love it, I understand why.
    If you ever have the opportunity to sample, please do-- then close your eyes, inhale deeply, and enjoy your voyage.

Zhoya's avatar

Navegar by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Navegar-- bay rum, planter's punch, pipe tobacco, old leather; what's not to like here? Deliciously different, hard to find, uniquely intelligent. Carry a refresher if you like intensity-- it fades fairly quickly.

checker's avatar

GrigioPerla by La Perla

WHat an incredible fragrance this is!! This doesn't smell like anything on the market today. Whenever I wear this it turns heads and people are always asking what Im wearing. Very hard to find these days!

DarkStar's avatar

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

I've had this for over a year now. It was not what I expected, with the incense and mandrake notes. Was a bit put off at first but came to an appreciation quickly. I personally prefer Kouros for a YSL incense note, and Opium for a berry flavor. Mr.7 is a bit quirky.
    Apparently agarwood gives this it's rich fruity quality and that is probably why I tend to tire of it before the day is out. I expected something dark but this is bright and sweet. It is a well made and unique, rather trendy too, though I don't make the religious or ritual connection with it. So, a cautious thumbs up from me. Try first.

gi0rgi0s's avatar

Brut Actif Blue by Fabergé

I am in the same boat, unfortunately Actif Blue was discontinued at least since 1997. The Faberge Brut brand has bounced around from company to company over the past years. It now belongs to Helen of Troy in the US and to Unilever everywhere else. If you want to get a bottle of AB nowadays, your best bet is ebay. Every once in a while you will see a bottle going for $20+ there. Gee I remember when I was able to get a jumbo sized bottle of the stuff for $5.00. Those days are long gone. Anyway I'm sure Unilever still has the formula and they may have repackaged this scent in one of their other fragrance brands (most likely Axe), but I haven't gone looking.

Ronald's avatar

Avatar by Coty

Not great, not bad. Very similar to Perry Ellis Reserve but less musky - if you like that one, you'll probably like this one too. Something mabye to wear to a ballgame or a casual bar-b-que. Staying power is not bad... I don't know what the previous reviewer is on to about regarding that, but it lasts plenty long on me.

Ronald's avatar

Versus Time for Action by Versace

I can't take this stuff. It's fresh for a couple of seconds and then begins drying down into a vaguely leathery-vomit-like smell reminiscent of Coriolan. After bottoming-out it's not as bad as it was during the middle-notes phase, but still does not get very pleasant. No wonder this was going for $10 for a 125ml bottle at Sephora. Tacky, just like most Versace clothing - maybe I'll just keep the gold chain bracelet from the bottle and throw the juice out.