Fragrance Reviews from January 2005

caboose's avatar

Acqua di Cuba by Santa Maria Novella

I had the pleasure of sampling almost every Santa Maria Novella fragrance yesterday but before I got their, I had in mind three to really concentrate on. They all were very nice and for me require more time in research to decide. I chose the Acqua di Cuba which was one of the three I had been researching.
    The bottle I noticed first being very clean with soft lines in sculpture with the olde world lable as finishing touchÈ and the liquid is a pale champagne colour.
    Fine cigars, Cuban even do not have their respective odors ñ itís the smoke that has the complex tastes. So I was very curious what was in store. Well I was not disappointed.
    The tobacco and leather work very well together as if they were very olde friends chatting over subjects of a by gone past. Being both secure in who they are they do not tend to overpower each other but compliment each other from the head to the heart. As the conversation moves to the base/end notes the leather continues and the tobacco add a comment here and their.
    Acqua di Cuba to me is an outstand fragrance but I think it will appeal more to the 40 and over crowd of ladies and gentleman.
    It lasted a very long time on my dryer skin so apply accordingly.
    Excellent!
    Caboose/2005

01st January, 2005 (Last Edited: 02 January, 2005)

jabouba's avatar

Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior

it is an excelent perfume for all seasons

01st January, 2005

bal101's avatar

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Amazing, rich, deep and dark. Very sexy, envelopes you in a sensual cocoon! Makes me feel like some god of the night.

caribou55313's avatar

Îles d'Or by Molinard

Very sunny fruity juicy floral - nice, rather intense, and without the melon-plum-blackcurrent bud notes that can bother me in fruity scents.

caribou55313's avatar

Patchouli by Molinard

Pleasant, not too pungent, very wearable.

mikediscoli's avatar

Santal Noble by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

This is incredible. Sandlewood does come through nicely, and the amber is also there. It does smell of high quality and I suggest you give it a try. This is a blind purchase for me, one I do not regret to say the least.

Mylene_Farmer's avatar

Bois et Musc by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Not a Serge Lutens fragrance, just a ludicrous joke/rumour from Cedriccentric, SA from les Senteurs in Brussels who obviously cant understand french better than english!

Herrera for Men by Carolina Herrera

Not everybody remembers this today, but fourteen years ago this was possibly the first launch of a major MALE fragrance by a FEMALE-NAMED design house. It was a big and daring marketing decision for its time. Scent-wise, the original polka-dot item has never been eclipsed, and the legend of this product still leds the marketing push to less exciting and more generic producs by Herrera.

XS pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

Ten years after I bought it for the first time, I am going to buy it again. Who could have thought it would develop into a classic? Juniper lends it a distinct, sharp defining characteristic. Great achievement from otherwise unremarkable launch year.

02 January, 2005 (Last Edited: 18 September, 2005)

Chic for Men by Carolina Herrera

This Chic is disappointinlgly non-chic. Yes, it's sophisticated, but the result is too much like a toned-down XS. You want to know the meaning of chic? How about Gucci Pour Homme or Dolce & Gabbana - not everyone's cup of tea but it sparkles and impresses. One thing the market does not need is another derivative of known combinations.

deaconford's avatar

Lagerfeld Man by Lagerfeld

Daring and different, avoiding the norm of every other scent tending to smell the same.

03 January, 2005

Gavin's avatar

Sandalwood by Crabtree & Evelyn

Now I have not often been a friend of C&E fragrances - although I hve often shopped for other very good items at C&E - but this Xmas past I received a bottle of Sandalwood Cologne which I really like. It lasts all day, is subtle and soothing. It gets my thumbs up.

03 January, 2005

Romance for Men by Ralph Lauren

Too neutral, too inoffensive. It never grew on me, and it is one of the fragrances that I regret having bought. 1999 was the year of massive numbers of new scents being released, but very little of note and hardly any classics, with notable exception of Hugo Boss Dark Blue, which can hardly be any further from Romance. This fragrance is the point where RL became dangerously generic. (Andrius Uzkalnis)

03 January, 2005 (Last Edited: 18 September, 2005)

OCP's avatar

Millésime Impérial by Creed

I do not anything bad to say about MI, but I do not have anything good to say either. It does not last long and it is not a very strong scent. I like some Creed scents and others do nothing for me. This one did nothing for me.

04 January, 2005

yapper1's avatar

Centaure by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Walked by my wife after putting this on--she flipped over it. Passed the test!
    On me the blackcurrant note is most assertive, which makes this an unusual fragrance. This is one for the morning, no need to reapply during the day.

04 January, 2005

Naed_Nitram's avatar

Blenheim Bouquet by Penhaligon's

The Baron de Charlus once told me: 'I recall the time when I was a houseguest at Chartwell, the country estate of Sir Winston Churchill (or "Vesuvius" as we used to call him on account of his volcanic eruptions). He gave us each a bottle of Blenheim Bouquet.
    "Tell me, de Charlus," said Sir Winston in that celebrated slurred growl of his, "as a connoissheur of schent, what is your opinion of Blenheim Bouquet? Shum shay it is one of the finest schents in creation - and I concur!" "Then we are of one mind, my dear Vesuvius," I responded. "An opening of clean pure citrus with a truly divine development of warm woods. It has hardly been bettered before or since." Sir Winston looked surprised. "Sho," he said, "you do not intend, then, to asshail me with one of your shelebrated inshults?" "Merely to remark, my dear Vesuvius, given your capacity to engage in some of the fiercest and foulest eruptions known to man, that it is most gracious of you to counteract these assaults on your fellow creatures by bathing yourself in the fragrant ambience of Blenheim Bouquet. It leaves us all wondering whether we are surrounded by citrus or shitrus."
    At this, much to my admiration, the famous statesman and bon viveur growled, scowled, guffawed, and threw a steak and kidney pudding at my head.'

05 January, 2005

Naed_Nitram's avatar

Jacomo de Jacomo by Jacomo

Let us enter this humble wooden shack with its tarred paper roof in the twilight. Inside, dim figures are moving amid smouldering fires of smoking turf. At the other end is a door that leads to a magnificent drawing room, painted in pearl grey, filled with the distinguished hum of masculine conversation. I am about to pass through when a man bars my way and demands the password. I rack my brains. 'Rough meets smooth,' I improvise. 'Peasantry meets gentry. Turf-smoke meets elegance in grey. Jacomo de Jacomo. Unique atmosphere.' 'Pass, friend,' he declares.

05 January, 2005

D_mcrae's avatar

Lalique pour Homme by Lalique

One of the best scent I have smelled in a while, great quality, very classy definetly up there with the Cartiers, and even some Creeds

JimInCO's avatar

American Crew Sport by American Crew

Save your money. A shameful testament to companies that want to take your dime without providing a quality product--or even a stab at it! Quality needs to come back into America's mindset. This scent lasts for about one millisecond.

Magnifiscent's avatar

Must de Cartier pour Homme by Cartier

Very long lasting to me. Starting with fresh fruity-spicy notes, then dries down with warm notes that reminds me cinnamom and amber, very pleasant! Classy women adore it, try!

nidulariumblossom's avatar

New Tradition by Etro

Like the name implies, this is a new take on a traditional cologne. Like a true cologne, this is dominated by lavender and geranium. It's middle and base reveal notes of vetiver, patchouli, and musk. But the modern twist on it is an ozonic accord that hovers over the fragrance, leading to a clean, sterile, and (to me) very boring fragrance. Not offensive or poorly made, but why bother?

ohoney's avatar

Polo by Ralph Lauren

My husband has worn this sinced the early 80's and is his main fragrance.When were at dining out or in public he always great comments on his polo.It smells wonderful and has great staying power

ohoney's avatar

Miami Glow by J.Lo by Jennifer Lopez

I was really surprised by this scent.Very charming soft scent.I can still smell it on me the enxt morning.The top notes overwhelm this perfume.If you like the tropics you will love this one.

06 January, 2005 (Last Edited: 06 February, 2005)

elysee's avatar

Bois et Fruits by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Bois et Fruits is another wonder that came out of Serge Lutens's creative mind. It starts quite dark and woody with strong accents of dried fruit (dates, figs, abricot) and dries down to a lovely and creamy sandalwood whereas the dry fruit notes get shiny. Superbe in winter, very elegant in warmer weather too. Good staying power.

07 January, 2005

knightowl's avatar

XS Extrême pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

Don't bother with this one, the original XS is much, much better.

07 January, 2005

Cinnabar by Estée Lauder

my absolute favorite perfume for a woman to wear.what more could there be to say?

Halston Limited by Halston

i would rather be a judge at a bean eating contest than ever have to smell this again

Halston Z by Halston

awesome summer fare.a must for "orange"lovers.nice musk drydown.halston could have done better on the name

Axel_F.'s avatar

Mûre et Musc by L'Artisan Parfumeur

A great scent,... I love it

09 January, 2005 (Last Edited: 22 January, 2005)

HackerX's avatar

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Being an avid tea drinker, i just love all scents that have a tea note. T42 is dominated by this note, and indeed quite smoky in nature. A very unique scent, although not my favorite L'Artisan, it's certainly up there with the best. To reply to Milamber, i didn't like Merchant Loupe at all, probably my least favorite in the L'Artisan line. Passage d'Enfer is utterly strange, smells like insense, but it smells really good, especially the dry-down, i guess that's what you'd smell like if you just had a journey through hell.

09 January, 2005