Latest Perfume Reviews

Zahra by Swiss Arabian Perfumery

The opening notes are fruity: mainly a lovely orange, not really very sweet, with undertones of lychee and berries also present at times.

The drydown gradually turns is to floral mix, with muguet and jasmine in the foreground, but the initial fruitiness lingers well into the heart notes. Whiffs of a faint rose aroma come and go.

He base takes on a slightly honeyed character, which over time morphs into a pleasant vanilla impression. Touches of saffron arise, as does a woodsy background that is comparably nonspecific.

I get moderate sillage, very good projection and a splendid eleven hours of longevity on my skin.

A pleasant scent for warmer spring or for cooler summer days, it is well-blended of ingredients of very good quality. Not super-creative, but crafted very well. 3.25/5.

Illicit by Jimmy Choo

Positive is my response. Along the first stage it seems to detect a sort of soapier and gentler Thierry Mugler Alien with a dominant (but definitely less "electronic") fresh (vaguely balsamic) sambac jasmine, some creamy orange blossoms and a huge dose of resinous/honeyed white woods. Rose (never earthy or leafy) provides a tad of "cosmetical - pink" delicate soapiness. Amber, musk and honey (a la Elie Saab Le Parfum) grow up gradually with all their dose of fairy elegy. Radiand and well appointed minimalist ambery-floral by Jimmy Choo. Dry down, after several hours is warmer and a tad less interesting.

Original Vetiver by Creed

Vetiver reduced
With the aid of soapy musks
To freshness itself.

Bulgari pour Homme Extreme by Bulgari

Bvlgari pour Homme Extreme is perhaps not brilliant, but it is remarkably good. It is a reasonably long-lasting fresh fragrance composed around a note of green tea. The whole Bvlgari pour Homme range (the original, this Extreme flanker, and the Soir flanker) centres around fresh takes on tea. Bvlgari Extreme has a similar take on tea (green tea) as the original, but is sharper, zestier and more invigorating. I detect fir, subtle herbs and spices that are typical of classic Italian fragrances, and a base of musk and woods. The note of tea is sustained throughout its development, from the initial herbs and citrus to the late drydown.

Bvlgari pour Homme Extreme works extremely well for me, and is a seamless composition, perfect proportions, fairly sophisticated and very elegant. Additionally, compared to the original which is a little muted, the Extreme version has just the right degree of sillage and adequate duration. Bvlgari Extreme is an easy recommendation given a lack of quality and interesting fresh fragrances, and its price makes it an absolute no-brainer.

Donna Karan Gold Sparkling by Donna Karan

Wintery. Woody and nutty. Woody, like old furniture in a barn. Nutty, from the combo of black locust, amber, patchouli, jasmine, and carnation. My second-hand bottle has none of the fruit / citrus notes, that are supposed to be present. It isn't a perfume I would wear everyday. However, it is unique.
MGW Show all reviews

Vetiver Indien by Paul Emilien

Felt that this started really well and full of promise, but never quite got there and never quite developed. Top notes were so elating - it's worth a neutral but never got out of 1st year and longevity was approx 2.5hrs.

Luna Rossa by Prada

Bitter and citric
Is no way to go through life
Unless you're fragrance.

Mukhalat Malaki by Swiss Arabian Perfumery

The opening is rose with saffron and amber. Initially the saffron dominates, but soon the amber pulls equal rank.

There is not one specific specific moment when the rose suddenly appears, but is grows very slowly to become an aroma that is, like a gossamer web, covering the whole in a very thin layer, more like a backgound atmosphere than a fully present independent note in the mix.

In the drydown the oud develops; a gentle out, rather soft with the harsh edge reduced to a faint minimum. This oud does not stand out like in so many other products, it is here a well integrated team player. In the base the oud is paired with cedar and small touches of sandalwood, whilst he amber penetrates it all until the end.

I get moderate sillage, excellent projection and twelve hours of longevity on my skin.

A nice, smooth autumnal scent composed of high quality ingredients that are well blended, and, in spite of being not particularly creative, being a nice creation with excellent performance. 3.25/5.

Santos Concentrée by Cartier

Santos rose from our
Table of perfumes and wine.
"Stay fragrant, my friends."
Kotori Show all reviews

Vanille Insensée by Atelier Cologne

Ahhh... it makes a lot of sense to know Ralf Schwieger created this one. The style reminds me of Fils de Dieu or the Merveilles line. "Insane Vanilla" is a vanilla-dominant cologne (as in eau de) with a contrasting orange peel note and some supporting jasmine, moss, and woods. The jasmine blends well and whispers softly, never once attempting to overthrow the vanilla. It is a cold vanilla, based on the pod, not the extractor any baked goods featuring it. In the sense of coldness and darkness, it resembles Eau Duelle EDT by Diptyque, though not in the actual notes (other than the pod-based vanilla). This is one of my favorite ever vanillas, which I've learned after a two-year long vanilla quest. Very intelligently composed and modern.

Acqua di Parma Colonia Club by Acqua di Parma

This, to me, is Acqua di Parma Colonia meets a jarring synthetic mint note and a bunch of other fresh aromachemicals, thus rendering the composition loud and even obnoxious (as many other screechy mall fragrances), which is surprising given it's by Acqua di Parma. Then again, that might be an indication of the change of the times. I don't think this is inoffensive, as I am, at times, offended by the harshness. It smells closer to any sub-par designer release, or perhaps even like poorly reformulated drugstore scents that any discerning individual avoids.

More vulgar than dull. Best if avoided.

Black Afgano by Nasomatto

Amazing intensity, quality and my favorite from Nasomatto with Duro a close second.
Landshark described it perfectly, I don't have much to add.
Probably not the most versatile fragrance out there and definitely not work safe unless you work in a coffee shop in Amsterdam or undercover at a Phish concert.

One of my guilty pleasure scents.

Gentlemen Only Intense by Givenchy

I'd not define it a total scrubber but Only Intense is a somewhat mediocre synth scent combining the angular-metallic-calonic regular Only's vibe with an overdose of sweet spicy tonka, hints of leather and chemical resins. Pepper and incense are overly dosed and too sweet for my pleasure. Pass by.

Al Ta'if Rose Blend by Abdul Samad Al Qurashi

From the first fragrant moment to the last whisper in the final dying moment: the is a rose composition. A truly mono-floral creation.

Being mono-floral does not mean boring; on the contrary there is development in this rose enough to enthuse.

On me this is a bright rose most of the time. After the initial phase it develops a green undertone, like the aroma of the juice of the freshly cut bundle of rose stems. The smell of rose leaves is mixed is also.

I get strong sillage, superb projection and a magnificent twelve hours of longevity on my skin.

This rose marvel is a gorgeous spring creation. It may not win the trophy for creativity and complexity, but is its pure intensity, uplifting richness, and in the astounding quality of the natural ingredients it reaches sublime heights of olfactory bliss.

Positive, intense, this rose is of great beauty. 4.25/5.

A rose is a rose is a rose.

Monsieur / Monsieur Bouquet by Henry Jacques

Everything that Francop says. I'll add that the hint of Cinnamon offers a nod to the spice of the Masculine body.
The first rate ingredients and composition
push this into a glimpse of the Art of scent.

Inverno Russo by Areej le Doré

Russian Adam thrilled and astonished me when he came out with Siberian Musk and Ottoman Empire, both of which are simply stunning fragrances that I am proud to own and love. Of his four brand new Areej le Dore scents, Inverno Russo is my favorite, although I find it surprisingly more challenging to wear than any of his earlier releases. The oud and the musk and the civet render this fragrance decidedly animalic--not stinky or skanky, per se--but in a dark, chewy, chocolate-mixed-with-oud sort of way. And there is even a tiny, almost naphthalene-like note that adds to its indolic character. This rich noir-ishness reminds me of the plush, velvety texture of certain vintage scents by Lanvin and Patou that I adore and miss, although I find Inverno Russo a bit less balanced than these older frags. Here, the darker aspects seem to override the florals--something that is especially noticeable when sprayed on clothing. I have a feeling that the oud Adam used here is partly (or primarily) responsible for this scent's unusual darkness and depth, but there are also some notes here I am unfamiliar with (e.g., Indonesian gaharu boya and betel leaf) that may be contributing, as well. While the beautiful florals combined with the clove and cardamom and sandalwood, recall Adam's own Ottoman Empire, Inverno Russo's far deeper base takes this scent into decidedly different territory. I think many will find IR's oudy and animalic nature compelling, while I find it just a bit too 'bottom heavy' to enjoy as a daily wear.
14th October, 2017 (last edited: 16th October, 2017)

Atlantic Ambergris by Areej le Doré

If you liked House of Matriarch's Blackbird, you should try Atlantic Ambergris. I mention these two in connection primarily as a reference point, since AA is so unusual that it is hard to pin down, label, or define. The two scents are not dopplegangers by any stretch of the imagination, but they share a overall profile that feels somewhat similar. The airy, slightly marine top notes, combined with a highly outdoorsy pine, and a darker oudy, incensed base makes me think of the denser, more urban-smelling HoM scent. AA is definitely lighter in tone and more floral, while Blackbird contains some darker tar-like notes that the Areej le Dore does not. I think this scent would smell incredible on a man, although an iconoclastic female could easily pull it off as well.

Very natural smelling and quite intriguing.
14th October, 2017 (last edited: 15th October, 2017)

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Herb Citrus took a
Fancy ride with Amber Gris
And Violet Leaf.

Himalaya by Creed

Great stuff. It reminds me of a slightly subdued and soapy version of Silver Mountain Water (which I love).

Y by Yves Saint Laurent

Y by Yves Saint Laurent does smell fresh, clean, ready for anything. Saturday morning fresh and carefree. I like this smell but I have smelled this before haven't I? Would it be in the late 1980's with Clairborne for Men or is it CK One, Curve, Curve Chill, Bora Bora Men, Lacoste 12.12 Yellow and Y is oozing into Acqua di Gio territory with that melony freshness. Some of these are better than others and Y is as good as most and possibly just a bit more freshness, less citrus; but why would YSL come out with such a well used and tired scent profile? I am sure that there is some new melony musk aroma chemical that adds special sparkle and is slightly different - but I swear it smells just like Clairborne for Men which can be gotten for around $10 and has long retired from sales. It does smell good, though not very original, generic, but I give it a neutral rating because if you want this type of freshie, this is as good as any of the others like this - just more costly.

Dahn Al Aoud Anteeque by Abdul Samad Al Qurashi

This is oud, oud, oud form the beginning to the end. Starting with a touch fruity smokiness initially, it gradually smoothens to become a classic, natural oud but without much sharpness.

That does not mean it is boring: like the colours of a rainbow change with us moving, this oud is scintillating in various nuances and shades as times progresses.

This is not a heavy oud on me, but well balanced.

I get moderate sillage, very good projection and an excellent ten hours of longevity on my skin.

This autumnal oud is really nothing much but a beautiful oud. And this is maybe a bit monoclonal, but is makes a beautiful scent ou(d) of supreme natural raw material. 3.75/5.

An oud is an oud is an oud.

Hindi Pure Indian Oud Oil by Arabian Oud

This is a smooth start, a lovely oud thatis the core note of this composition. It is a bit unusual in several aspects:

This oud is not heavy - especially with sparing application- and more in the elegant than on the heavy and cloying side.

This oud is smooth and rounded, at least initially, and lacks the scratchy and harsh character that many synthetic oud notes overemphasise. After the first few hours a little bit of oud harshness comes across, especially after more generous application, but on me this is more a subtle crispness than brutal harshness.

This oud has not much of a animalistic undertone.

That said, I only get limited development, but what I get is lovely indeed.

I get moderate sillage, very good projection and ten hours of longevity on my skin.

An oud scent for cooler autumn days, comforting, not heavy, smooth, and made of very fine natural ingredients, including some of the real McCoy. 3.75/5.

Bandit by Robert Piguet

Bandit is majestic, great but also a tad unapproachable (perhaps because of my gender). Great leather-chypre with tremendous presence and tenacity. Leather is balanced by galbanum, bitterness of oakmoss, and embellished with bone dry herbs. It is similar to Azuree in some respects, but I find Azuree less dry, friendlier and more unisex.

Bandit is definitely not a conventional women's perfume, but I'm having a hard time imagining any guy who could pull this off. Forget all other 'butch' feminines, this one here is indeed THE alpha female perfume, the sort of thing a true dominatrix would wear. Leather preferred, high heels mandatory. Having said all that, let's forget the stereotypes (however blatant those may be), and wear it if you love it. Contradictions are always interesting.

Surely not everyone's cup of tea, but it is terrific.

4.5/5

Aqua Universalis by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Laundry fresh cleanliness (aka white musks) underneath a fresh burst of citrus and white florals. Good duration and reasonable sillage.

It's so boring, it puts me to sleep. Maybe this works better on women.

The 'Forte' version is more grating.

2.5/5

Yeti Attar by The Rising Phoenix Perfumery

Stardate 20171013:

I smell the animalics up top for a few minutes and then all I get is beautiful SW. I do not get anything else (other than SW) after first few minutes. Maybe I am anosmic
I love this

Musk Rose by The Rising Phoenix Perfumery

Stardate 20171013:

This is Kannauji style Attar. Unfortunately I do not like this rose. I do like Champa but do not smell it here. This one gets a neutral from me but those who want to smell Kannauj attar, this may be a good proxy.

AA Indian Pure Musk Ghazelle by Ajmal

From the opening moment a rich and dark musk envelops me. It is soft and a beautiful musk. So pure and expressive, very animalistic throughout; musky, beautiful!

After a while whiffs of a machine oil aroma appear, and later on moments of hazelnut, whilst further into the drydown I get quite a prominent component of sweet almonds.

Further into the development the barnyard notes get stronger, with underlying castoreum-like undertones but without any significant harshness; and the skanky nature inherent in all good dark musks is civilised here by the sweetish softness that is its overarching feature. Never too sweet though, and never cloying in all its intensity. It is incredibly rounded and smooth in all its animalistic character.

I get strong sillage - with generous application this can become and overwhelming sillage monster - outstanding projection and a heavenly fifteen hours of longevity on my skin.

This warming evening scent for winter days - or for warm desert excursions - is incredibly balanced and blended sublimely of ingredients of the finest quality - one of the few dark musks where the indubitable presence of the real natural musk is evident. Without the brutal harshness that synthetic musks like to conjure up so frequently, this is a soft, friendly and inviting musk. Maybe a touch too musk-centred for some, there is no escape from all the musky goodness here.

One of the finest musks I have come across in a Iong time. 4.25/5.

TH Bold by Tommy Hilfiger

I agree with Andrewthecologneguy's description of this.

I'm also somewhat surprised by how much I enjoy this one...particularly the opening grapefruit notes...

Roja by Roja Dove

Has an opulent old-fashioned fragrance while being unique. That being said, I don't find it exciting & it doesn't stand out from the crowd.
12th October, 2017

Kenzo World by Kenzo

Minimalistic synth fruity "powdery-candied" amber with a standout breezy/tart peony and a fresh ethereal soapiness. It seems to detect a red-berrish and vaguely gummy/waxy presence probably elicited by ambroxan/jasmine (something finally talky/soapy). I detect a quite tart/leafy ostensibly aquatic vibe. Honestly this juice is a new drop in the ocean of modern perfumery. It finally smells like a soapy detergent.
12th October, 2017