Fragrance Reviews from October 2005

Dante's avatar

Scotland Scotland

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

A very interesting scent. To me, it smells more of coffee and chocolate than tea, with a smoky rubber undernote - like the way your clothes smell after a night at a bar. In ways, it's what Mugler's A*men might have been, but it's much more elegant.

Davisdujour's avatar

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

This cologne smells like it was put out by OPEC. It doesn't emit an aroma; it emits fumes. You could power an industrial tractor with this stuff, but why mess up a perfectly good tractor. I wore this for over a year, and I never received one compliment from anyone--Not even my mother!!! Once I was wearing it when I went to the mall one day in search of a new cologne. The sales lady proceeded to describe the various colognes to me and all the ones she enjoyed. When she passed up a bottle of Fahrenheit, I asked her what she thought of it (all the while I was wearing it and she didn't know). She then began to tell me how much she hated it, and how nasty it was and how it made her sick to her stomach. I sort of agreed with her but I had to keep wearing it so I could justify all the money I had spent on it. I ended up wearing the contents of the 3.4 oz bottle I had purchased for about a year until it was gone. I then went to a landfill and hurled the empty bottle as far as I could into it. When I threw it, I saw like three stray dogs come running out of the landfill. I guess they smelt it and wanted to get away from it too.

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Incredible amazing and energetic! This true masterpiece is one of my standards. I may try new colognes but I will ALWAYS come back to A Men again and again! It is disapointing to read the many negative users because this sophisticated fragrance is something I love so much I want everyone to love it!

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

How unfortunate that people think this is similar to A Men! This is another homerun masterpiece for Mugler. The spicy notes and the fruit notes combine with that outdoorsy vetiver to create a fragrance perfect for the fall and winter! Its warm and inviting and, although it smells harsh on a card at the department store, you wear it on your skin, not paper! Give it a try, I know you'll love it as much as I love it!

True Star Men by Tommy Hilfiger

A rich but mild addition to the Tommy line. The enrique iglesias tie-in is obnoxious but the fragrance is nice. A little too light for my tastes, which is odd considering the vanilla, sandalwood, and orris ingredients. Not very long lasting either but a more sophisticated option than the original Tommy

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

How unfortunate that Polo created a fragrance with tonka bean that doesn't smell good (at all)! I truly am in love with tonka bean and the fact that it doesn't save this disaster makes me question if tonka is in it at all...sorry ralph try again

incedal's avatar

Millésime Impérial by Creed

AMAZING is the word to describe it, on my first day with Imperial I just thought it was a ok smell, but couple of days later I fell in love with it, its starts of with a strong watermelon note and drys down to something salty and musky which is heavenly.

At the moment this is starting to take over Green Irish Tweed as my 1# Fragrance.

JohnnyH's avatar

Eternity Rose Blush by Calvin Klein

The classic Eternity bottle is dressed in red now. Great scent. It's rather different from the original Eternity. I think the younger generation will love this, for it's slight fruity, floral scent.

JohnnyH's avatar

cK one Summer by Calvin Klein

I was first attracted by the bottle, then the scent. It's very fresh and very easy to use. It last quite well on my skin also. I think it's the best summer fragrance for 2004.

Rush by Gucci

Don't get to used to this fragrance. Gucci has a track record of discontinuing classic fragrances. Just look at ALL the skull and crossbones. Why must they consistently discontinue older fragrances and launch new ones. There are still clientele who enjoy wearing the old Gucci classics. But, no, they disregard their long-time fragrance users. Would you please bring back the old classics like Gucci pour homme and Gucci No. 3 for women? NOW!

Greenergy by Givenchy

It's okay. I wouldn't do somersaults over it like I did for the original Insense (love it!!!). To me, it reminded me of Monsieur 2 Givenchy, or Monsieur de Givenchy II. I think Givenchy just rebottled the MDG2 and gave it a new name--Greenergy! I would swear it smell identical. Those crafty foxes at Givenchy. To think they'd try to pull the wool over the consumer's eyes. I mean, we, the public, are so easily fooled aren't we? Apparently they assume everyone is so stupid they won't notice what they did. Well, I did, and I tell you, Greenergy is MSG2 rebottled. Anyway, as stated before, it's okay. I don't smell the tarragon in it though, just some lemon-lime, and maybe a little pear and fig. I could swear I smell Dune down in the basenotes. Bye!

Gucci pour Homme (original) by Gucci

Why, why in the h*ll would Gucci discontinue this classic fragrance. I stocked up on back in the early 1990s, but now I can't find it anywhere. How can Gucci just abandon their first classic fragrance. It was far better that the newer fragrances, although I like Envy and Rush very much. Please, Gucci, don't throw your first baby away! Bring it back! NOW! (I just hope Gucci marketing personnel read this website!)

Insensé Ultramarine by Givenchy

YUKKKKKKK! Gagggggg..... Having bought a bottle at a frangrance store who didn't have a tester and the box was sealed, I had faith in Givenchy as I loved the majority of their fragrances, especially the ORIGINAL Insense (love it!!!), I went ahead and bought a 3.4-ounce bottle. When I got to my car, I sprayed some on and literally felt like I had to vomit! It did not smell blue, it did not smell aquatic, it did not smell fresh, it did not smell marine, BUT it smelled like emesis. I swear it had no defining quality about it. Pretty much smelled like the chemicals in an unscented hair spray. BARFFFFFF! This happened once when I sprayed a brand new bottle of Declaration by Cartier. That one, though, finally settled down into smelling like the original, a little like Armani pour homme (original), but not as citrusy. Anyway, it sits atop the shelf in my wardrobe, perhaps used in the future to scent my toilet tissue roll...

Monsieur de Givenchy II by Givenchy

Don't fret if you can't find this anymore. I think Givenchy re-bottled this fragrance and named it Greenergy, which is readily available, a lemon-lime fragrance with hints of peark and maybe a little fig. Very deep down in the basenotes and after drydown, a hint of Dune-like fragrance by Christian Dior can be detected, though barely. Staying power is not the best, but probably better if sprayed on in layers throughout the day. Bye!

Nobile by Gucci

Another foolish decision to discontinue a classic. It seems like the people at Gucci put out a fanstatic fragrance, and then discontinue after we've become accustomed to wearing it. I wont' be surprised if Envy, Rush, and Gucci PH are soon discontinued. Who is in charge of marketing at Gucci, and can't they leave their fragrances alone instead of trying to create that elusive "classic." They're all classics (especially the original Gucci pour homme and Gucci No. 3 for women, and Eau de Gucci), but they're discontinuing all the ones that were destined to become or were classics. Must be poor management or incosideration for the consumers, perhaps few consumers, who bought their discontinued fragrances. So sad, Gucci. Naughty, naughty, naughty fragrance company.

Sex Appeal for Men by Jovan

Yes, this is the one that reminds me of KL Homme by Lagerfeld. I think Jovan should have discontinued this one and kept the Monsieur Jovan or Grass Oil instead. They should've also kept Andron and SportScent. Who is in charge of deciding which fragrances stay and go at Jovan. It can't be based on sales because Grass Oil and Monsieur Jovan were much bigger sellers than Sex Appeal. The Gambler and Gambler Musk were big sellers too. Bring 'em back!

Witness by Jacques Bogart

How foolish to discontinue this wonderful classic fragrance. A very individual scent, which I have to keep smelling because it smells so good! Bring it back! NOW!

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Warning! Warning! Warning! This fragrance may discontinued after a couple of years. Look at Gucci's track record of discontinuing classic fragrances. I wouldn't get to used to Gucci scents because it seems they'll be long gone before too long, replaced with what Gucci will hope to be a "money-maker." Forget about older customers who came to love their older fragrances. It seems like they want to appeal to the younger crowd, forget about the older crowd.

nefrino's avatar

Bayrhum Vetiver by Creed

I did not like this fragrance at all. Opening is like cheap Bayberry candles (J_dubyah 2002) and after that it decomes dark and murky scent, like, for some very complicated "asshole" type personality of a man for who it was created, probably. It is unique but I wouldn't buy it. Now, if I had it maybe for month maybe I would dicover something, but no thanks.

nefrino's avatar

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

This one is too much of a single note. You can find that note in Himalaya, that has it mixed in a nice bouquet among other notes. This fragrance really reminds me how great Himalaya is.

tigrushka's avatar

Finland Finland

Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Timbuktu has become one of my fave L'Artisan and work scents! It's simultaneously relaxing and invirogating. It's fruity without being too sweet, woody without being too heavy, spicy without the spice-rack effect. To my nose it's mostly fresh, tart green mango, beautiful, spiritual frankincense, soothing, calming vetiver. This is a scent of exotic, vibrant colours, it makes me see turquoise, coral, terracotta, ochre... After wearing it for over a year I've grown more and more fond of it.

Chloé Narcisse by Chloé

is ok but i find it to be potent and give me migraines but seems to suit my best friend more

Wish by Chopard

love this cant say a bad word about it was one of my first expensive fragrance purchases still wear it and love it have had a lot of great comments on it but never let on what it is hehehehe never a bad comment from anyone and Diamonds are a Girls best friend

Baby Doll Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

beautiful summery fragrance i absolutly love it

Cool Water by Davidoff

my fiance wears this and it drives me wild is the only scent i will allow him to wear he has tried others but they just dont cut it this is from a womens point of view

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Joop is ok i dont personally like it but there are alot of fakes going around at the moment if you didnt know what it smells like you wont know packaging is identical

Paris Hilton by Paris Hilton

i got this of a friend as a present and i never like anything to do with Paris Hilton but i actually like this fragrance very subtle smell but very pretty and summery as well she did something right LOL

20scents's avatar

Givenchy pour Homme Blue Label by Givenchy

Givenchy puts out fragrances which I tend to like more or less. Blue Label looks very generic sitting on the many counters of department stores, kiosks, etc. that I have seen. But it is such a smooth, pleasantly citrus scent which energizes me. It is a toned-down scent in the likes of Echo, another very pleasant citrus scent. I prefer it to the slightly confusing Red Label, which somehow I can't quite grasp. Blue Label doesn't turn rancid, and it exudes masculinity. This scent is best for casual atmospheres. Love it! :)

apekrul's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Diesel Plus Plus by Diesel

A bit less original then the other Diesel fragrances but nice enough considering the price. It's very similar to Nikos' Sculpture and Alfred Dunhill's Desire for a Man but this one lasts just a little bit longer to my nose.

apekrul's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Heaven by Chopard

A rather dull fragrance with limited longevity. I can't think of any similar fragrances but it just strikes me as really mainstream.