Fragrance Reviews from October 2005

Opium pour Homme Eau de Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent

I never smelled the EDT-version of Opium and I'm not going to because for me, this is how a winter-fragrance should smell. It's warm (hót), sensual, long-lasting and very comforting! And although it's a real powerhouse, it's never agressive or in your face.

Pi Fraiche by Givenchy

I used to like this one a lot and it still has a special place in my cabinet but the love has tempered a bit. The smell is good and a lot fresher and less cloying then the regular Pi, but after wearing it occasionally for about 2 years, it strikes me as being just a little too synthetic.

Visit by Azzaro

Great scent with great longevity! For me, this scent has the potential of becoming a classic that we'll still meet in 10 or 15 years. A perfect fragrance for fall and winter and maybe even a cool spring-day.
    I like to compare fragrances and Visit reminds me of Timbuktu by l'Artisan Parfumeur with just a little more oriental spices.
    A big thumbs-up for this outstanding fragrance, certainly when compared to the other mediocre releases from other houses the last 2 years.

Diesel Green Masculine by Diesel

Cool bottle (I think it won an award for best design), funky fragrance, friendly price!
    It smells unlike any other EDT I own and in these times of great abundance, this is really a good aspect. I have no problems with the longevity as it lasts almost a whole day on my skin.

bebosky's avatar

Lagerfeld Classic by Lagerfeld

This scent is a real genuine classic. I am now 33 and have very clear thoughts and rememberences of my uncles wearing this scent.

It has legs too. To apply lagerfeld classic on top of your favorite mositurizer is scent up all day. One of the beauties of Lagerfeld id that is that it wears very well throught the day.

John.com's avatar

Safari for Men by Ralph Lauren

That is absolutely a right on the money statement regarding Safari. It MUST be worn to receive the full effect. Warm, savory and exceptionally masculine. Hands down, the Lauren I most frequently recommend to other gents. Polo Crest is Ralphs second greatest success. Both are highly "attracting".

Giorgio for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

I just HATE companies that abandon their original fragrances. This is just another BAD example of a company abandoning its namesake original fragrance. A lot of them keep the women's original fragrance, but dump the men's. It seems Giorgio for men has suffered the same fate as other namesake original fragrances like Gucci pour homme and Calvin for men. What idiots. It just goes to show they're in it for nothing but the money, and forget about the consumer. Even if those fragrances didn't sell well, there is no reason why they couldn't have just cut the production in half instead of discontinuing them altogether. I think nowadays Creed is the only fragrance company that has very few discontinued fragrances. It's like abandoning their first baby. Sad, sad, sad. :(

Red for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

I LOVED this fragrance when it first came out in the early 1990s. Some of these reviews are being too hard on this lovely spicy fragrance. After it was discontinue, I went searching for a fragrance that was similar. I found it! Now, this is my opinion, and the fragrance that I found that comes VERY close to Red For Men by Giorgio of Beverly Hills is---------Preferred Stock by Stetson. Oh, yes, I've found my replacement for Red for Men. Preferred Stock is VERY similar. If I poured some Preferred Stock into an empty Red for Men container, I could be fooled, it's that close. Sooo, if you loved Red for Men, go get yourself a big bottle of Preferred Stock. You won't be disappointed. In fact, I think Preferred Stock has more staying power than Red for Men did. I wish more of today's fragrances had more staying power. I guess were not in the 70's anymore and people don't want to offend with heavy and strong fragrances, but I'm obnoxious and I LOVE TO OFFEND. Those people with sensitivities to fragrance need to live on a farm and see how they like the smells and fragrances there, especially in the pig sty. LOL!!

mancheeros's avatar

Knize Ten by Knize

this is my number 1 cologne. i find it odd that some reviewers here think that it's lacking in complexity. personally i can't think of a more sophisticated fragrance than Knize Ten; it just goes on surprising me. the opening is extraordinary - a pungent mixture of tobacco, leather, citrus... and burnt rubber! sometimes i'm reminded of Tabac Blond but where that fragrance fairly quickly tends to pale out into light vanilla, Knize Ten goes on evolving as the floral notes interweave with the sandalwood. by the end of the day (and the morning after) i'm left with a wonderfully warm incense aroma. however, because of its unusual/uncompromising opening Knize Ten is probably a love-it or loathe-it cologne. if Knize Ten was a malt whisky it would be Lagavulin - formidable, distinguished, unfathomable....

paintrman's avatar

Mexico Mexico

Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I love L'artisan fragrances as a whole and this fragrance has to be my favorite. Yes, there is a nutty top note but that changes into the most wonderful iris, sandalwood, flour smell. I find I smell my arm over and over. I would bathe in this if it wasn't so expensive. It's only problem is that it doesn't last a long time. I have checked several times and I find on me it only lasts about 3 hours. I then have to reapply. Maybe they will release a Bois Farine Extreme!

paintrman's avatar

Mexico Mexico

Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I have been testing this fragrance for a while now and have decided that on me, I first smell an earthy, peppery patchouli and then it slowly turns into a more traditional patchouli smell. Drydown on me? Patchouli. I do love it but I am not sure I will buy a bottle.

Pappy's avatar

Fiji Fiji

Pi by Givenchy

In small doses this stuff is teh lady killa.
    For me, no other scent captures the feel of winters better. However, Pi can make you sick if not rotated regularly.

Rafal's avatar

Hugo Dark Blue by Hugo Boss

Hugo Dark blue is interesting but for me it smells too synthetic. Too many spices, you feel like in a kitchen. Rather evening scent. It lasts too short. Points for originality. If you want to draw attention, it will be perfect.

tigrushka's avatar

Finland Finland

Dinner by Bobo

Dinner has become one of my most worn scents, partly because it's such a rarity: a sexy scent with a sense of humour! The top notes remind me of Moscow Mule: (vodka,) ginger ale & lime, the heart notes are like spicy (dried or candied) fruit, the base is woody-earthy-animalic. IMO Dinner belongs to the same family as Rochas Femme and SL Arabie but is far less "serious". Great party scent, winter warmer and a compliment magnet!

you_show's avatar

Blu pour Homme by Bulgari

its another BLUE scent so um manly and blue not particularly interesting but a safe bet if you were buying for a present and you didnt know the man!

you_show's avatar

Céline pour Homme by Céline

paaarp! well know wonder you can but this so cheap off of so mnay websites its boring to the max

Hammam Bouquet by Penhaligon's

I'm sorry but HB has left me disappointed. I've worn it dozens of times in the past couple of months. At first, it felt unqiue in its prominent presence of roses. However, lately I've noticed that the drydown isn't very pleasant. In fact, it leaves a bitter, not to say foul, residual smell that reminds me -- sorry to say this -- of urine. I guess it's one of those scents that you need to wear only once in awhile to appreciate it virtues. Perhaps it's also a climate thing: when I wore it in London, it smelled differently than in the warm climate of Israel. At present, I'm less impressed than I was intially. I have a lot of respect for this 19th century fragrance, but I certainly don't think I'll be using it on a daily basis. Endymion is still my favorite.

Douro Eau de Portugal / Lords by Penhaligon's

Douro doesn't do it for me. It reminds me of sevberal other, not exactly posh fragrances such as Aqua Velva and other cheap perfumes. It's fresh and light, but completely ordinary and boring.

LP No.9 for Men by Penhaligon's

One of the top notch male scents of Penhaligons. I still find it less daring and impressive than Endymion, and perhaps less inspired as well, but it's a warm and sweet scent that I use occasionally.

Racquets Formula by Penhaligon's

I got a sample from Penhaligons shop in Windsor. Since I've never been a fonder of spicy scents, Racquets was doomed. After several consecutive days, I decided to give it up. Unlike other Penhaligons perfumes, its lasting power is quite impressive but it's too heady and oriental for me.

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Its a ok smell just OVERRATED and OVER used, after trying Creeds "Millesime Imperial" Acqua Di Gio seems like a cheap supermarket aftershave.

Claiborne Sport by Liz Claiborne

Its ok nothing special, light and fresh, smells Too much like Calvin Klein's Eternity.

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

*Update* I ws too quick the judge with my first post about Drakkar Noir, visited it again and I have to say I love it now, its soapy and spicy and it never fails to get compliments! specialy from the ladys:)

13 October, 2005 (Last Edited: 07 November, 2005)

Ultraviolet Man by Paco Rabanne

One word, YUCK!!!, gave me a headache

Truth Calvin Klein Men by Calvin Klein

I like how this starts smells like cut grass, but the drydown is just crap sharp and fresh.

Gucci No. 1 by Gucci

This was a classy and warm fragrance perfect for the winter months. It is just another example of Gucci discontinuing one of their classic fragrances. I still have half a bottle left and used it only on rare occasions. Interestingly, the quality of the fragrance has lasted and smells just as good as the day I bought it (must be synthetic). Excellent expensive-smelling this is! Gucci, relaunch please.

Canoé by Dana

This fragrance reminds me of those translucent gummy erasers I would use in grade school. Not a bad scent, but is candy-like to me. Whatever happened to CANOE SPORT? I think Canoe Sport was 10x better then the original Canoe, along the lines of SportScent by Jovan. It was a sporty, flowery fragrance, yet masculine, that reminded me a little bit of Insense by Givenchy. I still have a bottle of it (plastic bottle) and it still smells good. Dana sure has discontinued a LOT of their fragrances. They might as well hang it up as a fragrance factory because it's obvious they can't keep any of their fragrances around!

Rafal's avatar

Avon Uomo by Avon

Very warm, intensive fragrance. Smells like incense, tobacco. I think it's a scent for very mature men, I prefer more mellow perfumes. Original, like other Avon fragrances, but nothing to write home about.

Ronald's avatar

Abercrombie & Fitch Woods by Abercrombie & Fitch

This is a definite winner. To my nose, it's similar in several ways to Trussardi Uomo. Not formal, but a going-out fragrance of the first order. It has great staying power and tremendous sillage. Besides, it's also a babe-magnet!

Ronald's avatar

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Guess I just don't get the "sporty" oriental concept. This reminds me of the original Nautica Competition -- the one that came in the scuba-tank bottle, though this one is admittedly a little bit better than that. Overly powdery for a scent with such manly pretentions. That's what ruins it in my book. Could have been a contender... Many of the ladies do seem to be intrigued by it nevertheless.