Fragrance Reviews from October 2005

High... for Men by Patrick Cox

This is both fresh and smooth. Not bad, but nothing special. The most unique thing about it is probably the way the wood notes combine into a pleasant mélange of fragrant lumber. Stays close to the skin (read; little to no sillage) then wears off quickly. Could see a "concentrée" version of this working very nicely.

Inis by Fragrances of Ireland

A fresher, crispier L'eau d'Issey. It does last a long time for such an invigorating scent. Exhibits some similarity with Truefitt & Hill 1805 too. If you've got any one of these three, you might want to wait until your bottle runs out before getting either one of the others, as the difference is that slight.

T for Him by Tommy Hilfiger

Crisp, clean and uplifting to the olfactory spirits. T is highly original, with plenty of zesty freshness... I don't think I would go along with the reviewer who suggested wearing it for an interview, but for hot weather daytime casual wear, like running errands on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon, it's great stuff. Rumor has it that Hilfiger is working on an updated version of this called Tommy "U" that's based on the ubiquitous "wife-beater" rather than the classic t-shirt. It's said to feature notes reminiscent of perspiration, macaroni and cheese, warm beer, and discount cigarettes. Let's see!

Newport (new) by Caswell-Massey

Might as well be renamed "Milwaukee" or "Detroit", because this is missing the saltwater sophistication of scents like Erolfa, Acqua di Gió, and Inis. Heck, even Vintage Yachting Company blows this stuff away! Got a "commemorative" numbered splash bottle (shortly after which C-M lowered the price by more than half on this allegedly "exclusive, limited time offer"). It did come in a nice looking presentation case. But the juice itself smells sweetwater-ish and suspiciously close to some sort of watered-down apple juice to this nose. A mediocre effort at best.

Scenturio's avatar

Acqua di Parma Colonia by Acqua di Parma

Acqua di Parma reminds me of a holiday at the sea. I feel like lying on an airbed, skin all pampered with a sun blocker, maybe eating a lemon ice. But I hate the smell of air beds, try to avoid sun blockers and lemon ice gives me heartburns. No, it's definitely not my all time favourite.

snoopy104's avatar

Cool Water Deep by Davidoff

I quite like this fragrance, I was given the orignal Cool Water as a Christmas present when I was a teenager. At the time, I loved it. It always reminded me of that warm smell of porridge oats sweetened with lots of honey on a mid winters day. Weird, I know, but Cool Water Deep seems to be smiliar, but a little stronger.

Trasker's avatar

Cumming by Alan Cumming

I was extremely skeptical of this fragrance when I first heard of it -- it has so many listed notes that I'm not exactly wild about: whiskey, peat, cigar, etc. But, a decant found its way into my possession so I have it a try and I'm so glad I did. The first initial blast at first try was, well...awful. Peat, dirt...somewhat sour. But after no more than ten minutes this turned into one of the most sublime fragrances! If you can imagine warmth and sophistication with just a note of 'nasty' (or a wink of mischieviousness), this is it. The whiskey takes the cigar note to mellow and is blended on the drydown to an accord I can only describe as "yum!" Definitly worth a try...just hold your nose for a minute!

apekrul's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Rose d'Homme by Les Parfums de Rosine

As I was searching for a rose-based fragrace for men, I had to try this one because of the raving comments. It's not bad but I simply cannot see why everyone is so enthousiastic about this -dare I say it- mediocre scent.
    To me, it smells like a cheap rose-scented woman's soap. My advice would be to save your money (it's expensive!) and go for Voleur de Roses, Opôné or even Ungaro III.

Diesel Zero Plus Feminine by Diesel

I really like this scent on my girlfriend. It does have a very strong coconut smell, but what's wrong with that? In fact, it makes me kinda hungry! I can see how this may not be everyone's cup of tea but I'd at least recommend trying it... you might just like it!

Extreme Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren

This scent is awlful. It just makes my nose want to curl up and die. The smell of pepper is just so overpowering and just doesn't work. I was never a great lover of the original Polo Sport range, this is worse!

Police Dark by Police

Without doubt this is the worse fragrance I have ever smelt. It's so sickly it actually made me want to vomit. I brought this as an impulse buy from a bargin bin. Oh dear, what a mistake. Smell this fragrance at your peril.

Ultraviolet Man Fluoressence by Paco Rabanne

I like this scent but I am confused... isn't it just Ultraviolet rebranded? Anyway, that isn't a bad thing I guess since the original is fantastic, second to none but Black XS (also by Paco).

America's Cup by Nautilus

i give marginal thumbs up to this one. it is a citrusy cologne but a bit heavy and sharp on the nose.

Aqua Nautilus by Nautilus

i was veryt surprised by this one. it is a very pleasant marine scent which I find unique. If you can find it it is highly recommended.

Booster by Lacoste

Unlike some people, I found this cologne to be a nice one and was attracted to its minty fresh and unique smell.

Green Generation Him by Silvestre

On this one i give a marginal thumbs up. This one is very hard to find out side of europe. the smell in heavier than the unisex version but nothing very special. I mostly recommend this to collectors.

Green Generation Unisex by Silvestre

This was intended for a younger generation. When you smell this in an odd way you are reminded of pino silvestre. I find the smell unique and pleasant enough to recommend it.

Ice Water by Silvestre

not too many people know of this one. it is by the same company that made pino silvestre with a similar bottle. The smell is fresher and therefore it is a casual cologne.

Lacoste (original) by Lacoste

I also beleive this one is one of the best and most unique fresh citrusy colognes ever made. It represents the image of Lacoste perfectly. it is also very long lasting.

Lacoste 2000 by Lacoste

This one is one of those colognes I bought without first testing. i purchased this one first because I trusted Lacoste and second because I collect colognes and this one seems to be out of production. I did not like it at all. I is a bad mixture of some fruit and pepper scents. Disapointed.

Pino Silvestre by Silvestre

This one is a great classic. One of the best pine scents. It shows us that italians along with french are kings of perfumery. I love this scent for its uniqueness, the shape of its bottle and mostof all its wonderful smell.

Lacoste pour Homme by Lacoste

Lacoste is a sporty line so are its perfumes, but this one is the most formal of all lacoste colognes. it is a nice warm fragrance which is very pleasant on the nose. I recommend it.

Black Marlin by Nautilus

black marlin is intended for younger folks but I find it to be a good cologne for all ages. It is not a light citrusy scent and for some reason I find some smilarities with angel man. it is a mid range cologne and recommended.

Style In Play by Lacoste

this has a very pleasant and bubbly fruity smell to it. it is more sporty and more casual than lacoste pour homme and probably more suited to younger people. One thing many people complain about is its durability. The smell seems to go away in just 2 hours. But I still find it to be a pleasant cologne.

Racine by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

One reviewer noted the "conventional" nature of this scent. Still, originality is of little importance here. This fragrance is perfection in a bottle- a blend rounded off with aplomb. I wouldn't call it arrogant, just perfectionist. One of the better MPG fragrances I've tried so far. As for Route de Vetiver, I'm still trying...and trying...

Route du Vétiver by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

I am trying hard to come to terms with this fragrance. It was recommended to me at Aedes in New York, but at first I was nothing if not repulsed. My first impression was, "Yuck, how nauseating!" Still, after reading about RTV, I knew there was something I just wasn't getting.

I have actually been wearing this every day for about four days. It is growing on me in the sense that it is no longer repulsive, yet it is also lacking in beauty. All art, of course, is not beautiful. It is meant rather to imitate life while telling us something of it. And so comes the question, "What does this fragrance seek to say?" It seems to hint at wild, remote regions: jungles, swamps, forests...It conjures up the smell of moldy, wet soil hidden from the light of the sun. A cold, damp, and eerie blend, hinting of dark passions. The smell of slowly rotting herbs mixed with stagnant water and dank air. This fragrance "lurks" more than develops.

Route du Vetiver is about the roads that lead to pathways that lead to endless unexplored forests hidden beneath the boundless sky: a vast underworld of turbulent, dark, and lurking dangers hidden in the stinking soil of the earth.

Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

This gem is an unusually potent blend. The fragrance consists of about 25 percent Vetiver, but it smells surprisingly robust and clean. A very unique scent that smells unlike any other vetiver scent out there. There are more beautiful Vetivers (like, for instance, Racine by MPG), but this one is incredibly pronounced and raw. I unreservedly recommend this to gents of all ages.

The only downside to this line is the price (160 for a 100ml EDT of this particular one), but the Malle line truly does sparkle in its originality amidst a sea of blah. The fragrance industry, as with most modern industries, is today out of control and lacking authenticity. With such lines as Parfums DelRae and Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle, authenticity is thankfully making a comeback. You can purchase Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle in the US exclusively at Barney's.

Eau Illuminee by Delrae

A refined fragrance that nonetheless makes you want to run through a field and roll around in the hay. Absolutely stunning! I would call its evolution from first spritz to drydown "protean" not only because of the subtle nuances that surface throughout the development but also because of its "aristocratic" character. It is equally at ease with comedy or high drama: not a static blend.

I first was introduced to this fragrance by a saleslady at Joseph in Memphis. She informed me that Eau Illuminee was a unisex fragrance. Though it isn't officially "unisex", I would agree with the assessment. It is interesting also to note that many of the negative reviews online call this fragrance excessively "masculine".

Though it may seem an aggressive blend, I would call it more extroverted or pronounced. It definitely makes a statement. The first spritz reveals lush bergamot and basil, and the warm center includes french lavender and "wild aromatic herbs". The herbs, not individually named, are what to my mind gives the fragrance its unique punch. They persist almost as a base, even though orris, tonka, oakmoss and vanilla are officially in the drydown. These ingredients, however, never turn creamy or lush but rather remain very vibrant and seem to constantly intermingle with the herbs. Really an exceptional blend. I would recommend it highly to guys (I'm a 24-year old one that wears this myself) because its powerful and makes a statement. I would also recommend it to those women who wear fragrance for themselves first and not necessarily for others. This is one to wear proudly. It's pricey (125 for 50 ml EDP) but worth it. Authentic.

X-Centric by Dunhill

Very nice, if somewhat middle-of-the-roadish. A pleasant, fruity/fresh aquatic with a woody drydown that's most appropriate for daytime/office wear. Discreet, and lasts a fairly long time. Along with AdG, this was a signature scent of mine when I was working on my dissertation, so I tend to think of it as a "grad school" fragrance. Not necessarily for the youngsters, but not for the oldsters either... best for the in-between thirty-somethings.

DKNY Men (original) by Donna Karan

More a mass-market chain store fragrance than designer. True, it is fresh and sharp, but it is also quite weak as well as plain in composition. Went through the bottle very quickly due to its lack of staying power. Keep it in the corner of a shelf or it'll fall over on you regularly.