Fragrance Reviews from October 2005

Ronald's avatar

Elements by Hugo Boss

Good stuff. Metallic, mineral/rocky graphite notes along with a pleasing hint of pencil shavings and eraser. Has great staying power and sillage and is extremely versatile. This was my signature scent for a long time. Plenty of compliments from the ladies on this one.

Ronald's avatar

Silver Cologne by Amouage

The only Amouage that doesn't leave you smelling like a sissy. Not bad, but not really anything spectacular either, especially given the price. Has decent staying power and sillage, probably most appropriate for dining out, rather than for casual, office, or formal wear.

sigerts1's avatar

Paratus by Montgomery Taylor

very nice ava. in nyc at Takashimaya and I have yet to find it here in LA.

Thumper's avatar

Very Sexy for Him 2 by Victoria's Secret

Definatly better then the first and like previously stated always gets compliments. Also it isn't a very intense fragrence the only problem i had was i had to re apply every 4 hours or so.

you_show's avatar

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

yum! its all i want in a scent sumthing to slap all in the the face who come nr me!

Francois Blais's avatar

Francesco Smalto pour Homme by Francesco Smalto

My new favorite in the Jazz/Tsar/Drakkar Noir line!
    Manly, subtle, refined, the perfect blend of florals, spices and mossy woods.
    A real winner.

Ameer_.s's avatar

Solo Loewe by Loewe

Today my second day with this great fragrance,subtil,long lasting and original five star.15/10/2005 Ameer_.s

bebosky's avatar

Beyond Paradise for Men by Estée Lauder

I have to say that this cologne is overly sweet and grassy. It kind of reminds me of what bes would chase in the middle of July if you scented up and then mowed. If you like very sweet and fruity frags it may be for you.

CoL's avatar

Silver Shadow by Davidoff

This is by far the best fragrance release fromt his house since Cool Water. Nothing original here though, its very like a cross between Lacoste PH (grey bottle) and Boss Bottled. "Feels" much smoother than both of these mind you and is obvioulsy very well blended, quite a sophisticated feel to it. Nice stuff!

Dry_Martini's avatar

Spain Spain

Green Valley by Creed

Save his money and buy farenheit,best price and identic fragance

Dry_Martini's avatar

Spain Spain

Yerbamate by Lorenzo Villoresi

Dios mio,esto es horrible,es un olor pasado de moda y anticuado,realmente no veo el unisex por ningun lado,claramente femenina. Ideal para mujeres de 50 años en adelante.

Animale Animale for Men by Animale Parfums

Ummm... Chocolate and citrus and lavender and bergamot and even a shot of pineapple: the opening of Animale Animale is wonderfully gourmand in an almost spontaneous sort of way. I can feel the originality of this one: Rather than the “Let’s make another gourmand scent,” that all the other gourmands seem to smell like, here we have a “Wow, isn’t it fun to put a chocolate note in the opening.” It overflows with beginnings of creative experimentation. Serendipity! That’s what I smell in Animale Animale — serendipity. It’s an enticing aroma dominated by the chocolate but supported by a good background of spices, florals, patchouli, tobacco, cedar, musk, and vanilla. I find it basically linear, and it’s a strong scent that requires discretion in application. It has quite good longevity and a very reasonable price

15th October, 2005 (Last Edited: 18th January, 2007)

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

I, also, do not see this as a woman's scent. It is a beautiful powdery, woody scent with a delicate smoky-tea aura. It is subtle, haunting, warm. How can the scent of rubber be so ethereal?

Burberry for Men by Burberry

There are definitely lots of greens in the opening. Renato says mint: I think so, too, and there’s also juniper. There’s also bergamot with those greens, but the whole accord is quite thin and sparse. The opening has a definite aromatic bent to it from the juniper, mint, and Artemisia, and it is unnecessarily sharp. Its sharpness reminds me of the cologny auras of some of the 60’s colognes…that is not good. There’s a restrained fruitiness in the opening that doesn’t seem to sweeten the sharpness. I sort of wonder why the fruit notes are there if not to sweeten things up—the only thing they accomplish is…they annoy me. This is an unsatisfactory opening — one that I never would have tolerated if I hadn’t done a blind purchase of this fragrance. The piercing aromatic / green sharpness continues into the middle level and proceeds to olfactorily disrupt the middle florals and woods. The base is non descript and even my love for civet doesn’t help me appreciate it because I can’t discover the civet through the residue sharpness of the opening. This is an altogether disappointing fragrance for me.

15th October, 2005 (Last Edited: 18th January, 2007)

Cool Water by Davidoff

The one that brought the concept of “fresh” to the top of the mass market. It is pretty much aquatic with its mint and marine notes, but it doesn’t go all the way as those that followed it did. Cool Water became extraordinarily successful, and it still is going strong. It’s one of those “pretty” fragrances—it has genuinely endearing accords, even if those accords have a strongly synthetic tang to them — especially the top notes. Cool Water stays linear and uncomplicated, and I think this linearity and lack of complexity have been major keys to its success. Its minty / green / herbal / wood accord is refreshing and amiable without being at all challenging. Its aquatic note is unique and highly recognizable and, its uniqueness and recognizability places it in the long line of those winners of the mass market battle — Old Spice, Brut, Polo, Drakkar Noir, Eternity, CK One, Joop!, Acqua di Gio, A*men, Fierce… all singular (when they were introduced), highly recognizable, endearingly nonchallenging, and competently marketed (Okay, I’ll admit that A*men is challenging). Actually, Cool Water is neither a bad scent nor an artistic achievement. It is and was a moneymaker and it is and was a memory maker for millions of youth heading out into the world. That makes it important — and, no, it doesn’t challenge me, and it is far too youthful for me to be interested in it, but I enjoy how it smells...

15th October, 2005 (Last Edited: 09th March, 2008)

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

One can immediately tell that this is not a modern scent because the opening is rather uninspired. It is obviously intended for purchasers with a longer than nine second attention span. With many of the “classics” the opening is simply a holding pattern — sometimes attractive, sometimes not — while the newly liberated scent molecules marshal their forces to present their real job and purpose; and that purpose is the presentation of the middle and basenotes, which contain ninety-nine percent of the existence of the fragrance. Drakkar’s opening is a soapy and spongy aromatic / citrus. The citrus plays a very small role in the action, while the aromatics — albeit insecure, unorganized, and a bit unrefined — provide the main force of the initial volley. It’s a tolerable opening but it is far from stellar, and if it had to depend on the typical modern mass- market purchaser, it might be immediately eliminated from his list. The richer, fuller, refined heart is a balanced green / spice accord with emphasis on the coniferous notes of pine and juniper. This is a distinctly wearable accord. The heart notes are not really fresh as “fresh” is presented nowdays, but they are clean, full, and natural. With sensible application, they provide a restrained, dignified sillage that is legendarily attractive to the fairer gender. The base notes add leather, sandalwood, and oakmoss to the note lineup in a skillfully balanced and refined accord — I don’t get the patchouli that is supposed to be there because the leather overrides it to my nose. I often dislike leather in fragrances and the leather in Drakkar Noir is what has kept me from purchasing it in the past. I keep decant of Drakkar Noir and I sniff it once in a while in spite of my dislike of the leather note. I have found it an interesting fragrance in the past, but never intriguing. It is very strong and has to be applied with a good dose of restraint. Too strong and it is a turn-off. Excellent longevity. (Edit of 15 October 2005 review. Changed from a neutral.)

15th October, 2005 (Last Edited: 17th August, 2009)

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

What a charming scent! The long lasting opening begins with a smoky accord—at first, a bit aromatic and then settling down to a deep smoky note with a very subtle anise in the background. This is one of the most unusual openings I’ve encountered in fragrances—the smoke is so stark. In the middle notes, the smoky scent transforms to become a smoky tea. A ginger note accompanies the tea. And the total effect is one of grace and charm with a touch of other-worldliness. The fragrance finally settles into a dry down of honey, vanilla, and wood, which is like a meditation—so clear, so soothing, and so ethereal. Unlike several other L’Artisans, Tea for Two has very good longevity. It is unique, elegant, and versatile. In fact, it is exquisite.

15th October, 2005 (Last Edited: 18th June, 2006)

Vétiver (original) by Carven

This review is on the 2006 reissue of ‘90s reissue of the original 1957 Vétiver Carven.

From Bottle of the 2006 Reissue:
    Top: Bergamot, Lemon, Guatemala Lemongrass
    Middle: Nutmeg, Lavender, Lily of the Valley
    Base: Violet, Cedarwood, Vetiver, Styrax, Amber, Musk

I was both eager and a little anxious about owning the latest reissue of Vétiver Carven: Looking forward to it because I vaguely remember how excellent the 1957 Vetiver Carven was. Anxious because I had come to terms with the ‘90s reissue and it has long been a respected fragrance in my wardrobe, even though I continued to think the ‘90s reissue as too weak and short lived.

My reaction to the 2006 reissue of the ‘90s reissue is disappointment. The 2006 reissue is definitively stronger and longer lasting. I approve of the fact that it doesn’t go the Guerlain route with abundant citrus in the opening. But I’m very disappointed in the fact that the herbal / coniferous aromatics have been taken out of the heart of the ‘90s reissue and replaced with nutmeg and violet leaf. I know nutmeg and violet leaf are the “in” notes in mass marketland, but I’m tired of them and I see no reason why vetiver (the note) can’t stand on its own. Although I can’t make out the nutmeg in the sillage from my skin, it comes through clearly on paper—and I’m glad my skin destroys it; unfortunately my skin couldn’t conquer the violet. To my nose the violet adds a disagreeable bitterness to the accord. I can’t understand why a bitter green violet leaf would be included with vetiver, which is often accused of bitter greenness.

I blind-bought my bottle of the 2006 reissue online and, for the fun of it, I also included in the order for a bottle of Molinard Vétyver which was priced about $10. Blind-buying the Molinard Vétyver was a good move. I much prefer the Molinard to the Carven, and I doubt I will ever wear the 2006 Carven. I do wear and love the Molinard Vétyver and I still wear the weaker ‘90s reissue of Carven, but the 2006 reissue is on the back shelf in the closet.

15th October, 2005 (Last Edited: 20th November, 2007)

XS pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

The more I use this scent, the better I like it. At the first sniff it struck me as a nice, attractive scent, but nothing special—just like many of the 90’s frags. But I was judging the book by the cover. A well-structured and complex scent, XS has quality and creativity and adaptability—loads. Its opening is bergamot and fruit and green (I get mainly an excellent refreshing mint /green)—a composite note that sparkles. The mid notes are primarily floral but quite masculine. The base is a comfortable light woodnote moderated by a little sweetness and a little spice. All levels exhibit depth and complexity. This is the kind of scent that might recommend blind purchasing. XS has very good longevity and a depth and complexity that advises against being ruled by first impressions. Suitable for almost all occasions, XS fits well in the office, the club, and the boudoir. An excellent hot weather scent and a great switch from the usual run of citruses and aquatics. It has been called the poor man’s Himalaya, but I think of XS as the savvy man’s Himalaya.

15th October, 2005 (Last Edited: 22nd February, 2006)

Piper Nigrum by Lorenzo Villoresi

Highly aromatic in its opening, a forceful green note featuring a clear mint comes on so strongly that its aromatic ambiance completely overwhelms the rest of the accord for a short time. I really don’t smell the anise in the accord but I think I can smell the clean sharp bitterness of the dill. A change comes in when a solid black pepper note begins replacing the green accord as the dominant note. After several minutes the pepper totally dominates and the green is reduced to providing a solid background to the pepper. The pepper note is very nice, and the green note is too, but I don’t think they necessarily go together very well. With the base notes Piper Nigrum does settle down to a comfortable green / wood dry down that is long on the coniferous notes with a bare touch of amber and myrrh. The drydown does not throw very much sillage but it lasts beautifully.

This scent very much takes getting used to, as far as I’m concerned… I like it a bit better each time I wear it but my learning curve on this one has a long road to travel. I doubt that I will ever get to the point where I will purchase a whole bottle. I can understand why some people love it, but it just doesn’t do very much for me. It’s about the only Lorenzo Villoresi fragrance that I do not admire.

15th October, 2005 (Last Edited: 09th March, 2008)

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

It took me a while to realize the full value L’Instant Pour Homme. At first I thought it was nice but a little ordinary—another superficial 90’s type mass market. Around about the fifth time I wore it I began to formulate the idea that there is, indeed, something very special about it. L’Instant’s marketing says that it is a contrast of warmth and cold, and this is one of its special properties. The cold citrus and the warm pepper and star anise form a single accord that is warm and icy. This creates a tension in the notes: A tension not really of the nose but of the perception. Actually, it’s possible for the wearer to choose which he wants to perceive: warmth or coolness, so L’Instant might be worn in any temperature.
    The mid notes have a wonderful, comforting warmth to them, warmth enough to give the scent a solacing quality. This special feeling comes, first, I think, from the jasmine, sandalwood, and tea, and later, from the cocoa bean note that emerges towards the end of the mid notes. The cocoa, with the patchouli, is the fulcrum of the total scent progression IMO—a stroke of genius: The combination is addictive. The dry down is reminiscent of the dry down of Héritage in the sense that it is rich and peppery and lasts for hours. L’Instant de Guelain Pour Homme is an exceptional light Oriental scent—accommodating, fragrant, versatile, and bearing a light touch of intrigue.

15th October, 2005 (Last Edited: 12th May, 2006)

isaacc7's avatar

Millésime Impérial by Creed

Hmm, I wonder if I got a bad sample. All I smelled was salt. It was as though I had splashed some water out of the harbor on me. I felt dirty and smelly for quite a while.

jasong9573's avatar

True Star Men by Tommy Hilfiger

Finally a new cologne that doesn't smell like something I have already smelled; it seems original. Good call Tommy camp. It is clean and fresh from the top notes, but hard to describe after that. You just have to whiff for yourself. I don't see it as an oriental scent though as one said in another review.

Listen for Men by Herb Alpert

This sure looks like the bottle of Sharper Image that I bought back in the early 1990s. If it's the same fragrance but a different name, the fragrance if very nice and spicy, with a lasting power that stays all day. I was told that Sharper Image was going to be discontinued, so I bought four large bottles at Dillards when they marked it 1/2 off. It is, in fact, a "blue-smelling" fragrance, quite nice.

Moods Uomo by Krizia

I have found a fragrance that is VERY similar to Moods, just in case they decide to discontinue Moods. It is Cigar by Remy Latour. These two fragrances are VERY similar, in my opinion. Just FYI

15th October, 2005 (Last Edited: 10th June, 2006)

Spazio Krizia Uomo by Krizia

I have not tried this one by Krizia, but if it's anything like the originality of Moods by Krizia, I will definitely look for a bottle.

Sud Est by Romeo Gigli

Probably the best of the Romeo Gigli line for men. I believe this line was originally produced by Herb Alpert Fragrances (yes, the trumpeteer Herb Alpert). I believe he also released a fragrance called "The Sharper Image," which is no longer manufacatured, but which I still have three bottles and will use very sparingly. "The Sharper Image" did, in fact, last very long and smelled very "blue" and would do well in today's market given all the "blue" fragrances coming out like Bulgari's Blu, Blu Notte, Polo Blue, etc. Sad it's not available. A very fresh and potent scent indeed. Perfect for country life and formal evening. They should have kept this one and discontinued the original (which smells like cinnamon and clove, but completely different, but nice).

15th October, 2005 (Last Edited: 06th April, 2006)

karramba's avatar

Pi by Givenchy

I'm amazed by the number of enthusiastic reviews of pi. It's not bad, but it just way too simple. After a while all you notice is vanilla, vanilla and... even more vanilla. And when it comes to benzoin crystals. Well, if you like the smell of a car garage then you'll be more than pleased.

musse's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Brit by Burberry

I think it`s very nice for fall and maybe esp.for winter. Comforting and yummy!

musse's avatar

Sweden Sweden

L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci

Smells ok on others, but in contact with my skin it transforms to a sickening chemical mix of soap and hair-spray.