Fragrance Reviews from October 2005

scenteur7's avatar

Moschino pour Homme by Moschino

Love this one...was never able to wear it until recently, always found it too sharp and heavy. Now it works for me though. I love the leather and amber base with typical 80's top and middle notes...Somewhere between Antaeus and DK Fuel.

Scenturio's avatar

L'Ombre dans L'Eau by Diptyque

At first quite nice a scent, especially the fascinating turn from the starting note, which is a little crispy, almost pine–like, to the perfectly authentic smell of heavy roses after some moments. But all in all it does not last too long and leaves a somehow morbid old lady–like smell at least on my skin. A perfume I would never recommend to a young man, at least if he does not feel like an impersonator of the late Judy Garland.

Uzkalnis's avatar

Ungaro III by Ungaro

This fragrance is SO early 90s - don't touch it if you have objections to the imagery of red BMWs and if the pale green color of money does not connect with your heart. The combination of citrus on top and sandalwood in the base has been tried by many since, and the worst thing that can be said that, unfortunately, it has been imitated by supermarket brands in the nineties (think Black Denim perhaps). But those who know the difference will be aware that it's REAL stuff very quickly. The complexity of Ungaro III is amazing, and it is indeed best suited for evening wear and for refined surroundings.

veek's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 7 Sweet: Wood Coffee by Comme des Garçons

Failure. While it smells okay, it has nothing to do with coffee :(
    It's more like Dior's Fahrenheit, that kind of heavy & deep smell ...

Vetiver by Guerlain

I wore Guerlain Vetiver in the '80s and into the '90s... I wasn't crazy about it, but I enjoyed wearing it and thought it a very good fragrance. Recently I decided to return to it, bought a new bottle, and discovered that it had changed from its '80s version... Changed so much that now I cannot tolerate it: It makes me nauseous ...I'm not exaggerating... genuinely nauseous. God bless the EU standards that save us from dangerous ingredients.

15 October, 2005 (Last Edited: 08 December, 2010)

Knize Ten by Knize

Knize Ten is one of those leather fragrances that make me cringe. A few micro drops landing on my skin from a misaimed spray will send me to the washroom for a full-scale scrubbing. I suppose that it’s the particular kind of castoreum and leather that’s used in the fragrance that causes my adverse reaction to it, and it is brutal. This one is not for me.

15 October, 2005 (Last Edited: 07 January, 2011)

HackerX's avatar

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Having tried most L'Artisan scents, Dzing! has become my favorite among all of them. Just about everything in this line is amazing, but my taste for Dzing! has changed quickly, not only it is my favorite L'Artisan, it is also my favorite fragrance in general. Truly is art at its finest form!

Joshaugustt's avatar

Nino Cerruti by Cerruti

I AGREE WITH ALL OF THE POSITIVE REVIEWS. I'M PROBABLY THE LAST PERSON ON EARTH TO HAVE TRIED CERRUTI FOR MEN...AND BETTER LATE THAN NEVER! I DIDN'T HAVE TROUBLE FINDING CERRUTI ON THE WEB. AND I AM REALLY ENJOYING IT. IT'S A NO NONSENSE RICH CITRUS/FLORAL THAT DESERVES TO STILL BE AROUND AFTER ALL THESE YEARS. IT'S WORTH A TRY. JOSH AUGUSTT

keithsmom's avatar

Must de Cartier by Cartier

A generous gentleman got this for me; had he not, I would have spent my own money. An extraordinary scent. Of course, NOT for every day. I agree with lush, opulent, elegant and strong. Works fabulously with my body chemistry and is a treasured scent. That is what my son had in mind when he got me the Jil Sander 4!

keithsmom's avatar

Jil Sander No. 4 by Jil Sander

I TOLD MY SON ONE OF MY FAVORITE PERFUMES AND FOR THE HOLIDAYS ONE YEAR, I GOT THIS WITH HAND LOTION. EVERYBODY STOPS ME TO ASK WHAT I'M WEARING, PEOPLE WANT TO BUY IT FOR SOMEONE THEY LOVE. (INCLUDING 75+ YO MOMS!) FEEL VERY SENSUOUS AND SEXY. ANOTHER MUST-HAVE FOR SPECIAL OCCASIONS.

madvillain's avatar

Fresco di Vetiver by I Profumi di Firenze

I love this stuff, reminded me of Green Irish Tweed. Very Fresh and Green.

Scenturio's avatar

Kenzoair by Kenzo

I would not recommend this perfume to anyone before 6 p.m., otherwise friends or co-workers might wonder, whether you have a problem about alcohol. To me this scent smells like Ouzo or Ricard.

you_show's avatar

Black Suede by Avon

if you are buying for your grandad its a safe bet but if you want a scent that is modern dont bother!

you_show's avatar

Wilderness by Avon

i personally get good reviews when i wear this one
    at first its a bit rough smelling but after a while it becomes a nice rounded masculine scent for a few hours

360 Degrees for Men by Perry Ellis

Not for me; way too harsh, blaring. And I'll bet it keeps the mosquitos away too.

Citrus Musk by Pinaud

This is the first truly schizophrenic fragrance I have ever encountered. Musk and citrus, and they keep each other at arm's length. It's as though there are two fragrances at work, never quite collaborating. Pinaud Lime Sec is the base (inspired by lime flavored hard candy). I think who ever made this fragrance had a bus to catch.

Clubman by Pinaud

I agree with Mark that Clubman is similar to Canoe; though heavier and stronger. Lovely fragrance, but it is extremely strong. Mist the air and walk into it. Nice powdery finish, provided you don't put on too much. Then it's cloying and awful.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Couldn't wait to try it. Couldn't wait to wash it off. Way, way too sharp for me. Almost needle-like in it's attack.

Naturelle Sec by Pinaud

A favorite, one that is sadly missed. It was not inspired or special in any way, but it was an excellent use-every-day after shave, a bit like Guerlain Imperiale or Roger & Gallet Extra Veille: dry citrus, clean, and modest.

Tabac Original by Mäurer & Wirtz

This has been my standby fragrance for decades, especially for cooler weather. Can't say enough about it: it's perfect for me.

"Vintage" Tabaróme by Creed

Oh I do like this. My first impression was of a fairly rare incense, Gulnaz. Well, it might have leather notes, but I get a dry, warm, smoky incense.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 4 Cologne: Citrico by Comme des Garçons

Man I wish I could find this stuff in the U.S. It's a clean, dry citrus fragrance. I bought a 1/3 oz decant and wasn't that impressed. Then when the decant got 1/2-way down I topped it off with 4711. Well, the resulting mix was a dry lemon sorbet: maybe the most wonderful citrus fragrance I ever, ever experienced.

Zizanie by Fragonard

I found this fragrance 20 years ago, while in college, and it inspired me. My girlfriend said it was "yummy" and she was right. It's elegantly casual, or maybe casually elegant: very pleasant either way. However, the more recent formulations (without "de Fragonard" on the bottle) are a poor send-up of the lovely original. Note: the photo on this page is of the newer, badly formulated, Zizanie. Save your $ for the real "de Fragonard."

16 October, 2005 (Last Edited: 07 December, 2011)

7e Sens by Sonia Rykiel

A quietly stunning evening man slayer! Deep, dark and mysterious complex tones embedded in sheer mystery. A very serious fragrance for the woman with one thing on her mind - to get the job done (whatever the job may be). A sophisticated yet no - nonsense scent.

Miss Worth by Worth

It has been a while but so far this is THE lightest, delicate, most feminine fragrance I have had the pleasure to have sampled. Only a petite and gentle woman can wear this without it being out of place as it is just like a waft of the fresh air on that first day of Spring. This scent is flowery yet very unassuming and very light yet it draws the male nose to investigate further. Very light volatiles and hints of something sublime are found in Miss Worth.

Burberrys for Men (Original) by Burberry

The original Burberrys for Men (Original) was just as good as was said here by JOHN. Now Burberry has the new Brit fragrance which smells like either the original Burberrys for Men (Original) or like Derby by Guerlain - I cannot remember but it is almost exactly like one of them!

Guess Men (original) by Guess

Another of my favourites out of production! This fragrance is definitely for the evening and cooler weather. It bespeaks of soundness and a little adventuresomeness at the same time. It says "Here I am" in a quiet kind of way and at the same time "Let's go and do something unexpected and different".

Brit for Men by Burberry

This fragrance is not really so unique as is thought. After the dry-down it is very close to either Burberry for Men (Original) or Derby by Guerlain both of which I liked quite a bit but have disappeared. Upon the introduction of Brit I can now have nearly the same experience as I had in the past with one of those two. Brit drys down to a soft yet adamant presence for one's evening business or pleasure. It does not lend itself to either the daytime or Summer weather. Women take comfort in men who exude this quality of quietness, stability and capableness of which this fragrance bespeaks.

Marc Jacobs for Men by Marc Jacobs

One smell and one is instantly transported to the Central California Coast! It has many of the same scents found there, I believe. A lightweight fragrance for the casual daytime wearer and definitely not for any serious occasions or evenings.

Aquaman by Rochas

Fresh, spicy, and aromatic—Aquaman lets its presence be known. It opens with a clean, sparkly grapefruit/cypress/ eucalyptus note augmented by a refreshing coriander. The midnotes continue the opening in a more muted intensity but are still dominated by the coriander. It finally dries down to a woody base in which the coriander is replaced by a more restrained and warmer cardamom. The base is excellent but it doesn’t last long enough. I love coriander—with the grapefruit it provides a clean, consistent sourness that laughs in the face of the heat and humidity; but coriander is an arguable note and some may dislike it. Longevity is a problem with this scent. Beautiful bottle but not the best design for earthquake country—even a small tremor tips it over.

17 October, 2005 (Last Edited: 24 February, 2006)