Fragrance Reviews from October 2005

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

This one fooled me. I thought it was oh so weak and short lived, but after wearing it in regular rotation for several months, I have discovered its cryptic qualities. Initially hard for me to believe, Bulgari Pour Homme does have a definite presence as well as good longevity. It stays very close to the skin so its notes are not being broadcast, but what notes! Warmth, subtly, and elegance: Bvlgari’s signature tea note dominates the opening in concert with citruses, blackcurrent, and florals in a smooth, delicate but masculine blend. The mid notes waft in with spices, more florals, and woods. The movement is completed with an excellent, subtle base of musk, tonka and wood. How beautiful this one is—restrained, elegant, smooth. Bvlgari Pour Homme is a modern kind of scent that will quite soon be the very definition of 'classic.'

17 October, 2005 (Last Edited: 18 April, 2006)

Contradiction for Men by Calvin Klein

What can I say? Contradiction comes on very strong with citrus / herb / green / lavender opening with spices already rising from the middle. Overload big time… Sensory overload, but also just plain overload of poor fragrance. The top is a harsh and pungent conglomerate whose best feature is the key lime which lasts about seventeen seconds, and whose worst feature is that it is rampantly synthetic. And then it calms down to a middle conglomerate spice bomb that is just plain unappealing if one pays too close attention. After an hour of discomfort, the base comes off as tolerable: wood, light wood, and a little musk but still, unfortunately, too much a trace of the creamy synthetic lavender from the top that has been with the fragrance since the beginning. I’m sorry but, except for the end of the drydown, this is not a pleasant scent. Lucky me, I have the dubious distinction of receiving this as a present three different times from three different gift givers. I really appreciated their generosity so don’t worry, I sprayed it and gushed and thanked profusely, but in gushing, I took great care not to actually spray it on myself.

Héritage by Guerlain

The name ‘Héritage’ is appropriate. This fragrance presents many of the elements of the classical past, but it also adds a solid dose of ‘today.’ The opening is a bright and civilized bergamot-lavender-pepper combination—elegant, distinctive. When the coriander steps in, so does a trace of the patchouli presenting uplifting grace notes and sparkle to the distinguished and solid base of wood and tonka. This part seems to be a bit more aggressive than the typical Guerlain; even so, it is quite sophisticated. The long lasting and well-balanced dry down is subtle and warm, not to mention quite addictive. Unlike Habit Rouge, Héritage’s use of vanilla is discreetly within tolerable limits. Class, tradition, sophistication presented with a modern timbre.

17 October, 2005 (Last Edited: 18 June, 2006)

Kiton Men by Kiton

I originally liked Kiton so well that I bought a bottle of it. After wearing it a while, it had grown to bother me so much that I finally had to wash it off immediately after applying. I later figured out that it was the violet note in the heart of Kiton that I could not tolerate – I had grown sensitive to chemical violets, and this dislike of violet extends to most fragrances with violet in it. Kiton, Green Irish Tweed, and Narciso Rodriguez for Him have so strong of violet notes that I dislike them strongly. Kiton was a good scent for awhile but now I have to vote it thumb's down... but only because of the violet. (Edit of 15 October 2006 review. Changed from a thumbs up.)

17 October, 2005 (Last Edited: 31st October, 2009)

Lanvin L'Homme by Lanvin

Hmmm... Judging from the reviews, it is likely that this is a fragrance that is sensitive to skin differences, and its performance depends on the unique skin type of the user; if that’s the case, then I count myself extremely lucky to be among the blessed ones who experience such outstanding results from this precious liquid. I wear Lanvin L’Homme very often and it is a remarkable performer on the skin, especially for circumstances that require restrained use of fragrance such as the workplace. Every time I wear it I am again reminded about how totally impressive it is. This has been one of my top ten for years, and it has maintained its top ten position through my journeys among the most elite of the designer fragrances and though my more recent excursion into the vast and expensive field of the niches.

Lanvin L’Homme is not overpowering. If you want your fragrance to be noticed in the next room, this isn’t the fragrance for you. It sparkles in its opening—aldehydes and citrus with a touch of lavender—not a yummy accord as in Eau Sauvage or Boucheron Pour Homme. This one is sharp and maybe even a tiny, tiny bit off-putting. The main idea of its opening is “clean.” It is sharply and near-aggressively clean. At this point it could easily be taken as an aquatic, but the opening is only the tip of the iceberg. After the sharpness fades away in about a half hour, the clean aura retreats very close to the skin to lie in wait with a very quiet lavender accord. This caressing-the-skin cleanliness lasts an hour or two. Whenever I move my arm or shift my position I think, “Mmmmm… clean.” I don’t find the florals of the middle very prominent, and, because of its subtlety, I find it difficult to tell when the citruses of the opening leave off and the conifers of the middle take over — at this point the fragrance remains quite linear, but in the middle notes I do get an occasional whiff of a mild spice, a discreet green, and a fleeting floral.

Then the magic begins. The rich notes from the base begin to sneak into the middle notes. There’s a trace of incense, or a remnant of leather, followed by some moss and vetiver. Then to make the drydown absolutely perfect, a hint of civet shows up in concert with a quiet musk. These notes gradually crescendo to the subtle but full drydown of incense, wood, musk, leather, vetiver and moss, which casts a tiny bit of sillage and creates a translucent aura for at least eight hours after initial application. Heaven is worth waiting for.

17 October, 2005 (Last Edited: 19 January, 2007)

The Dreamer by Versace

I used to like this and I have worn it many times, but those times have gotten fewer and fewer along the way to never. There’s something about the top notes that I am no longer comfortable with; there is a note in it that is quite synthetic, but it’s not that exactly; it could also be the combination of lavender and tarragon, but whatever it is, it became more and more annoying each time I wore it. The note doesn’t annoy me to the extent of my wanting to scrub it off; it’s just that I would rather spend my time smelling something better—which would be just about anything. Once the top notes are finished, Dreamer gets better. The heart notes are very nicely floral augmented by tobacco—a very enjoyable accord. And the drydown provides a balanced use of the tobacco in an excellent woody base. Dreamer used to be on my almost-a-favorite list, but nowadays I really don’t enjoy it.

Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels

I have learned to appreciate Tsar especially because of its great dry down. The opening, lavender / citrus combination is very well done, and the mid tones are a balanced blend of floral and spices predominating over a subtle base of green. The top and the middle are extremely well blended, but are more crafted than inspired. But Excellence rears her beautiful head in the dry down. This base is dominated by woodnotes and is not only well crafted and dignified, it sparkles with inspiration. Since the base is the longest lasting of the levels, I’ve given the scent a thumbs up. Tsar is a very well made, dignified fragrance and has very good longevity, but it would have profited from a little more daring in the beginning stages.

17 October, 2005 (Last Edited: 12 May, 2006)

Unbound for Men by Halston

To me Halston’s Unbound is the most interesting of the Acqua di Gio clones. It can more than hold its own against the others, including AdG itself. I like the opening better than AdG’s because it is a bit stronger, it’s more fulfilling with its tomato leaf accord. It is also less synthetic. Let’s face it, hardly anyone will be going in raptures about the accords of any aquatic: Aquatic notes are just not as endearing as woods or florals or greens or sweets… An aquatic by any other name would smell as boring. Unbound, in my opinion, smells a bit better than AdG, and it lasts longer, and with the money saved in the difference in price, a person can buy an additional fragrance of his or her choice. For the person who is really into aquatics and wants a top of the line one, a better aquatic would be Bulgari’s Acqua or Creed’s Erolfa. For the person who wants Acqua di Gio, by all means, buy it, but Halston’s Unbound is a better fragrance and a better deal.

Boss in Motion by Hugo Boss

This has a rather interesting opening; it smells something like cream soda (I used to love that stuff... haven’t tasted it in years). The cream soda in the opening of Boss in Motion has a chemical smell to me, but actually it’s not the worst synthetic I’ve encountered. The middle level is supposed to have a whole list of spices, but I don’t smell the listed pepper or cinnamon or cardamom. What I get out of the mid notes of this fragrance is the beginning of a headache. Nor do I smell any of the drydown… the scent disappears on me in forty minutes -- that’s a very good thing. (Edit of 17 October 2005 review.)

17 October, 2005 (Last Edited: 16 June, 2009)

Kenzoair by Kenzo

I’ve reconsidered. I have come to see this as the designer poster child of “sheer” and “transparent.” Kenzoair opens so subtly that it almost feels as if there is no scent. But there really is a translucency that presents the anise, cedar, and vetiver, and creates a wonderful coniferous / spicy ambiance—an ambiance I missed the first few times I tested it. However, the more I wore it, the more apparent the notes became. It has come to a point now where I actually feel that the fragrance is quite strong; I never would have believed this when I first tested it. It is quite a linear scent with the anise, conifer, and vetiver, but in spite of its linearity, it continues to hold my interest. Kenzoair is a trickster that seems totally transparent but is really a quality scent that gives forth beautifully natural accords for an adequate length of time. It is a light fragrance that has a wonderfully delicate but masculine presentation. It is quite unique.

17 October, 2005 (Last Edited: 18 March, 2007)

Dunhill Edition by Dunhill

I first fell in love with this scent of lemon and sandlewood in the '80s and still love it today. This fragrance is smooth and long lasting. Fresh like clean laundry.

Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

Buy the perfume not EDT as the perfume lasts much longer. This is a wonderful scent. Contains citrus (Sicilian lemons and grapefruit). Also has cypress which is green and earthy and is the base note. One of my all time favorites.

Vétiver by Annick Goutal

The iodine notes are harsh. Very salty and to me, dated. Smells like something my grandfather might wear.

Rafal's avatar

Modern Balance by Avon

Nice scent with a note of ginger. Nothing special but original enough to try. Good as a budget, everyday perfume.

sandyw7592's avatar

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

I agree with those who find a similarity between Dior Homme and HM. I believe that both have tonka bean in the base. I wasn't sure I would like Dior Homme - so many contradictory things have been written about it already - but the scent on a strip really intrigued me; the initial soft iris note has a powdery, dry aspect which doesn't say *floral*, precisely, but it's very intriguing. I disagree that this could be a feminine fragrance, though. The tobacco-and-leather quality is subtle, but it's there, and it takes Dior Homme out of the feminine range, at least for me. Dior Homme strikes me as a highly integrated fragrance, as well. I have a little bit of trouble picking out individual notes in its composition. To some this will mean it lacks development, but I don't need a cologne to be linear or to have all its "parts" identifiable. The combination of lavender, leather and something smoky is warm and beguiling, and that's enough. I think there might be a little too much of the tonka bean; it becomes noticeably sweet if applied heavily. For the most part, though, it stay pretty close to the skin - in a good way.

seccho's avatar

Reaction for Men by Kenneth Cole

Pleasant smelling enough, I suppose, but utterly unremarkable.

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

some people hate it, some love it. i don`t like it anymore

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

very controversial fragarance. when it came out, I adored this one. it was so clean and fresh like nothing else...no I can hardly stand this scent. it reminds me some sort of air freshener if sprayed on my wrist.

Allure Homme by Chanel

too sweet on my skin. not recommended for younger consumers

Antaeus by Chanel

I`m only 23 and for me it is a way too strong and conservative

Armani Eau Pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

i hate it on my skin, it is so old-fashioned and boring. maybe for consumers 40+

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

nice scent. much more recommended than 212 for men. longevity was the problem on my skin

Cool Water by Davidoff

very strange smell. There is a clearly distuingishable note in all cool water product line which I can´t absolutely stand

D&G Masculine by Dolce & Gabbana

drydown is very good, too much citrus in it

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

well-made fragarance. it is very distinctive from others. this scent is not for another teenager

Emporio Armani White He by Giorgio Armani

fresh but a way too floral and feminine

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

extremely bad on my skin. for me it was one of the most disgusting scent I´ve ever tried.

Hugo by Hugo Boss

a bit boring scent. this was my first real cologne in the year 1999.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

It was awful on my skin and gave me a headache. Nothing fresh was in it. It was a cloying smell

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

I think when I´m seventy years old and dying, then smell in the room will resemble this scent. this cologne is awful