Fragrance Reviews from October 2005

davinalondon's avatar

Angel Garden Of Stars - Peony Angel by Thierry Mugler

very very sexy and lovely. you can tell by its staying power that its a family member of the Angel family but less chocolate and more flower power...def one for the christmas list...

davinalondon's avatar

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

sorry, no staying power AT ALL, better as a scent to spray your linen with in the summer, i was hoping for something similar to its sister fragrance "jardin mediteranne" but sadly it was not to be

LouLou by Cacharel

In addition to the notes mentioned here, I detect anise, which I love but may be an acquired taste. Lou Lou has a poignant quality that is hard to describe. Though it's a relatively modern fragrance, for me it evokes 1920s Paris, a la Louise Brooks. It is both fresh and deep, and very intimate somehow (a real skin scent), and by some accounts has always been more popular among Europeans than Americans. Not for the mainstream.

No. 5 by Chanel

I wanted to love this "classic," but found the aldehydes unpleasant; on me they create a raw, ragged impression, as though the formula is unfinished somehow. No. 19 works better on me, but overall Guerlain has Chanel beat for sophisticated, complex, feminine fragrances.

Dolce & Gabbana by Dolce & Gabbana

A study in contrasts. Starts our rather sharp and bracing (not for the shy), thanks to the tangerine and ivy, and slowly melts down into an ideosyncratic blend of bitter and sweet floral and wood notes that leaves a strange and haunting trail. Instantly recognizable and very distinctive. I've gotten numerous compliments while wearing it, especially the parfum de toilette, which is all but impossible to find now. But be careful not to overapply!

Cabochard by Grès

Cabochard is a distinctive, classy fragrance well suited to a confident woman (or man) who wants a break from floral/oriental scents. There is a definite animalic quality, but also prominent is the chypre accord of woods (balsams) and mosses, with hints of floral notes. Very bracing and deep, lovely in cool weather, and not for the faint-hearted!

Cabaret by Grès

I found Cabaret to be cloying -- too sweet, and too undifferentiated. Perhaps I needed to give it a longer trial, but I gave away the bottle I bought. Other dramatic fragrances like Opium, for me, are more complex and interesting.

Parure by Guerlain

I love this classic fragrance, which to me has a noticeable animalic/leathery note smoldering beneath the flowers and oak moss. Best worn in fall and winter, I think. I once wore it around someone with an unsophisticated nose, however, who asked innocently where the litter box was. But I filed that away with other dismissive comments about gorgeous classics such as L'Heure Bleue and Vol de Nuit being "old lady" scents. (Some people think white zinfandel is good wine, too.) Besides, we wear fragrance primarily to please ourselves, don't we?

Nahéma by Guerlain

On first sniff, I was put off. But this scent grew on me slowly. Rose predominates, along with an unidentifiable and odd fruity note (I read somewhere that it's passion fruit); as it dries down, it takes on a woodier, almost incenselike aura. It is clean and transparent, with no trace of powderiness, which is very appealing to me. Definitely an oddball fragrance, not for those who like sweet and uncomplicated smells, and very distinctive.

Aqua Allegoria Gentiana by Guerlain

Fresh, green, very wearable daytime scent with some depth. Starts off with a grapefruit note (to my nose) and settles into an unusual but appealing gentian/green accord. Lovely.

Shaal Nur by Etro

I didn't like this on first try -- it reminded me of Nuits Indienne [sp?] -- but it has grown on me. (The scent on my skin also varies according to my mood and chemistry.) The effect is of soft woods and spices in an enveloping aura; it has both a bitter and a sweet element, neither of which takes over fully. I enjoy unusual/ambiguous fragrances, and this is becoming a favorite of mine.

Lt_Omega's avatar

Armani Mania by Giorgio Armani

One of the best scents I've ever worn.

Word of advice, don't eat chocolate 24 hours before wearing the scent (chocolate affects skin chemistry in a negative way for the scent) and always try to get a brand new bottle (production codes are at the bottom of the packaging, cross check them between different stores. My 2nd bottle was 3 years older than my first one :\ and it showed)

When worn right, the perfume smells like pure unadulterated luxury. A very attractive blend of Ambergris and Musk with a touch of vetiver, orange and saffron.

Lt_Omega's avatar

TL pour Lui by Ted Lapidus

My first impression on wearing this scent was the waft of fine,light,flower petals.

Couldn't help but notice positive reactions the moment I put the scent on. As attractive as the scent is, its more for the office/theatre than the nightclubs.

Neotenolo's avatar

Addiction Wild by Conquest Personal Care

I found teh range of addiction stuff after months of searching! Good job too as Im down to my last smattering.

Available Online at www.auravita.com

They even had reasonable shipping rates to Canada where I now live.

RHM's avatar

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

I was late to "discover" this one but it has since become one of my most often worn fragrances. It is especially comforting to wear in the evening. L'Heure Bleue never fails to garner compliments every single time I wear it. True it is "powdery" but only in the sense that it evokes the sweetest memories of a time when all the world was simple and safe.
    You owe it to yourself to try this classic, let it "settle" on you before you make a final decision.

RHM's avatar

Osmanthus by Ormonde Jayne

What an incredible fragrance! I have the Eau de Parfum & can only imagine what the Parfum must be like. Sorry....got distracted there just thinking about this.

Osmanthus is one of those notes you'll see popping up in newish fragrances. However, the flower of the olive tree has been used in perfumery for quite a long time. It smells "fresh", a little sweet but unlike anything you've ever smelled before. It's easily overdone & can be headache inducing but NOT in JO's Osmanthus.
    Her's is a light but unforgetable fragrance with terrific sillage & structure.

Ronald's avatar

Lapidus pour Homme by Ted Lapidus

One of my first fragrance-habit purchases due to its cheap price. Wore it occassionally for a month or two, then couldn't stand it any longer. Ended up using the vast majority of the bottle as air freshener, a task to which it is more suited than that of a cologne spray. Avoid.

Sandalwood's avatar

Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi

Well, I finally received my Lorenzo Villoresi Sandalo today and have been wearing it all day. Great "raw" sandalwood, very dry and resinous. You can smell a quality and talented craftmanship here.
    Longevity is quite good, I would say (around 6 hours). It has little evolution from the moment you spritz it to the end of its cycle; Little but perceptible.

snoopy104's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Pheww!! This stuff stinks! It's different, but smells just like a combination of chocolate the smokey smell your clothes aquire when in a busy pub or night club. Different? yes. Nice? not really!

snoopy104's avatar

Starwalker by Montblanc

Very nice! It's kind-of spicy, but also a very soft rounded smell, a little sweetness, but sickeningly sweet. Clean smelling, but not too clinically clean. It's very subtle but could do with being a little stonger.

StevenB's avatar

Eau de Cartier Concentrée by Cartier

Wonderfully uplifting and inviting. I love it from the first juicy splash all the way to the drydown. Beautifully smooth, clean and sexy. Doesn't smell like everything else, but isn't avant garde either. To me it's classy without being "old." I tend to like most Cartier scents. I find them to be real quality.

Stuffman's avatar

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

My roommate last year was crazy about this stuff, and wore it all the time. I just can't say I find anything I really like about this scent; the mellon-like top notes to me are just putrid, though it does settle down quite quickly. After that, it never really evolved into anything special- it wasn't bad, it's just that it didn't seem very distinctive to me (perhaps because everyone in the world wears it). Some people really seem to like it, but I don't see what all the fuss is about.

The_love's avatar

Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne

A chamaleonic fragance. Begins citrus, becomes spiced (pink pepper), and ends vetiver and moss and cedar. Spectacular

Timothy's avatar

Germany Germany

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

I'm really, really impressed! The first Gaultier fragrance I truly love. I can see the similarities to "Classique" but "Gaultier to the power of two" is sooo much better. Gone are the cloying floral notes of "Classique" and there isn't a trace of the the infamous "le male". It already smells great on a paper strip, but the tester bottle asks you to try it on your skin and that's the right thing to do. The fragrance smells incredibly good on skin. Masculine? Feminine? Who cares? It just smells great. If I didn't know that it's unisex, I would definitely have a problem to tell whether it's mens cologne or ladies perfume.
    Two thumbs up. Especially for the clever packaging and for the fact that a designer brand released a massage oil to compliment the fragrance.

Mitsouko by Guerlain

Mitsouko is a noir perfume, reminiscent of an angular woman with a marcel wave in her hair, wearing a black column evening dress and smoking through a long cigarette holder. This is not a modern fragrance, but it is a compelling one. It is deeply feminine but without the obviousness of a floral. Greta Garbo must have worn this.

Ginger Essence by Origins

Love this one. It's my tried-and-true fallback fragrance. Warm, sparkling, gingery and citrusy without being sharp. Light enough to wear to work. Pair it with the Ginger Souffle body cream, also from Origins, for an even warmer overall scent.

18th October, 2005 (Last Edited: 08th November, 2005)

Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune by Guerlain

This is definitely a European rather than American take on grapefruit; it's complex and dark and quite dirty rather than light and crisp or sweet. I find I love it and hate it in about equal measure. The sulfrous notes add interest but are also a turnoff, depending on how I decide to take them at any given time. I don't smell vanilla; I wish I did.

Initially, I smell a strong burst of the most accurately "real" grapefruit peel I've yet encountered in a perfume. Heaven. Within 10 minutes, the sulfrous notes make themselves known, and I find myself alternately fascinated and repulsed. Within a couple of hours, just the faintest grapefruit lingers and I'm strongly reminded of tangy B.O. or garlic. I have learned to be careful not to get any of this on my clothing.

This is definitely a scent you'll want to wear for a while before deciding to purchase.

you_show's avatar

Ginger by Gorilla Perfume

omg this fragrance is so so good so warming so sensual so heady so aromatic so memorable so BUY IT!

zenpiper's avatar

Heno de Pravia by Gal

An update to my previous posting. Yes, it still burns, but I have become enchanted with this scent. It has a slight baby-powder/clean soap quality but there's something else that is just lovely. This is far, far from power. This is humility and sweetness. I never smelled anything like it. It makes me smile.

18th October, 2005 (Last Edited: 13th November, 2005)

flathorn's avatar

Charles Jourdan The Parfum by Charles Jourdan

One of the first gourmands I liked. Charles Jourdan managed to take the gourmand notes out of the kitchen and into the bedroom. When it worked on me it was voluptuous, fruity, creamy and definitely sexy. The tag line for this fragrance is "The sexiest fragrance in the world". While that is a bold statement, it *is* sexy. It was to me what many have said 'Angel' is for them. I always found 'Angel" sticky and queasy, so I was pleased to find a gourmand equivalent for myself. It lacked the predominant patchouli note which inhabits the whole of 'Angel' from start-up to drydown.
    Edit: I used to like this, then the musk note turned on me, and it is now smelly and unwearable. I couldn't finish my very large bottle, so definite was the falling out.

18th October, 2005 (Last Edited: 23rd July, 2011)