Fragrance Reviews from October 2005

abrax10's avatar

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

I truly love the the exotic/ spicy fragrance, just wish it lasted longer.

Allison_R.'s avatar

Hiris by Hermès

I don't know why the desciption of hiris says suitable for women. It is after all, a women's perfume. Go to Hermes website, and find out for yourself, they are the makers of this scent. It's not even a unisex scent if there really is such a thing.

flathorn's avatar

Safari by Ralph Lauren

This has been one of my favorites for quite a while, long before I became seriously interested in fragrances. I'm a chypre person, and on me this works well, coming across as sensual, earthy-dry, active, sporty-casual, easy going, but complex. The florals in this scent are submerged to the service of the fragrance as a whole, and aren't major players. It is quite versatile, being one I'm able to wear at most times, and most places. It is a sensual fragrance in spite of its casualness, and has a sense of style about it, which gives it a note of class. Some sites list it as a green floral, some as a woody chypre. I think it definitely falls down on the side of chypre. This is one of my mainstays, and as many perfumes as I've tried over the last several years, none have replaced it in its category in over a decade.

godzilla's avatar

Caesars Man by Caesars World

Has a lot of similarities to Drakkar Noir.

godzilla's avatar

Herrera for Men Sensual Vetiver by Carolina Herrera

Simply Superb! Herrera seems to have accomplished the impossible by making a vetiver-based fragrance actually smell "sensual".
    The "Sensual Vetiver" masterfully mixes the raw grassy scent of untamed vetiver with the sexy base signature scent of her earlier
    fragrance named "Herrera for Men". The combination is simply breathtaking.
    This is a very special vetiver-based fragrance; acquire it with vengeance!

HackerX's avatar

DK Men Unleaded by Donna Karan

Having never tried the Original, i do not know how to compare this one with the Leaded. This is truly one of a kind, never smelled anything like it. It's powdery, fresh and sweet, but not sweet in a sense of a gourmand way. It's rather sweet like a quality cigar, in other words, it has a sexy sweet tabacco note to it. I also smell the suede. It's a bit on the light side, but quite subtle. An excellent fragrance!

ilnaso's avatar

Vera Wang for Men by Vera Wang

Love this fragrance but it just doesn't last on me! Wish it had greater staying power! Love the clean spice this one carries!

paintrman's avatar

Mexico Mexico

Ananas Fizz by L'Artisan Parfumeur

On me it's pure sugar. Very, very sweet. I also had problems with longevity. Lasted about 3 hours. I would have to say it's more of a feminine scent than most of the L'artisan fragrances.

Pandl's avatar

Euphoria by Calvin Klein

I work with fragrances all day and when this one was delivered we all couldn't wait to see what it was like, for me its a big yipee!!! its so different from the usual CKs and the bottle design is so contemporary, love it!!!!

Paul G's avatar

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I wish there was something more than thumbs up for this one. It's fabulous. Cinnamon and musk combine to make a sexy and sweet scent that never fails to take me on a ride with each wearing. It has gotten big compliments and is one that does something different, and each time wonderful, with each application. It's scents like this that make Malle so highly regarded. A must try for musk lovers.

19 October, 2005 (Last Edited: 14 April, 2006)

Paul G's avatar

Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Let me preface this by saying that I have been pretty well documented on the forum about my dislike of Vetiver as a dominant note in scents (even beyond that wretched Guerlain concotion which I still don't understand that appeal of ). I have found some scents that can use it and be wearable, LV's was nice but too earthy as a whole and the entire MPG line, which I call the Death by Vetiver Series which contains Racine, Centaure (the most wearable of the lot) and the crime against humanity Route du Vetiver. MPG's line as a whole reminds me of a surgical patient in post-op who's allowed to hit the morphine bottom to their heart's content. It's used so heavily that it renders the whole thing unwearable. It gets to the point where the vetiver strangles every other note in the scent. Creed' OV I have warmed up to but still find too safe and uninspiring to be hold in the regard that I hold this scent in. Vetiver can have a post meltdown nuclear reactor vibe on me but this scent takes vetiver to places I could hever have dreamt of. This scent removes all things foul and unwearable about vetiver and turns it into a fresh, citrusy and musky edge that puts all other vetiver scents on the market I've tried to shame. I have worn this scent, on several occasions for over a week straight (unheard of for me) and still never fail to love it any less. The dominant notes at the top are citrus. However, unlike many of the higher end scents, this scent is not a jumbled mess like many of them are. This scent begins with a beautiful simplicity it would seem but the true complexity of this scent takes many wearings to truly fathom. It has a pleasant lemony and orange feel with bergamot quietly mingling with the vetiver at the top and then evolves to show its multifaceted wonder througout the wearing. The vetiver is simply the note that holds it together. IT's not so much a focal point, but a catalyst which all the other notes play off. The vetiver never goes too far away or too far upfront and makes this scent one of something that is a challenge to the senses and a delight to wear to see the balance of this scent appear. While there are soapy feels at times, and other times a brief, mildly, earthy stage but the citrus never truly goes away (how Ropion pulls this off is a testament to his genious) this scent is a mind blower in every sense of the word. This scent isn't defined by a note, it's a sum of the parts. This scent is a symphony with all the parts put in place for balance and a specific purpose. It's not an assault on the senses so much as a delight. Brilliant scent and this one may eventually overtake my beloved Piper Nigrum as my signature. Brilliance and elegance combined.

Photorin's avatar

Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I think that there are two categories of vetivers: the first category tries to conserve or to copy the natural beauty of the simplicity of vetiver; the earthy, dry and wet – meagrely and intelligently - character. The second tries to merge it in a complex context to make a “cultivated” scent.
    I would say that the vetivers of the first category are products of great “craftsman” and the vetivers of the second category are from “artists”.
    VE belongs into the first category, Route du Vetiver and eg. L´Artisans in the second, and both ways can be marvelous.

PS: Try the soaps of VE!!

Ronald's avatar

Allure Homme by Chanel

It's stock has gone way up in my books. I bought a bottle when it first came out but ended up selling it after barely using it as it was just too sweet to my nose. I enjoy it occasionally now, especially on cooler days. I think it's the pepper note that saved it form me...

Ronald's avatar

Cuiron Pour Homme by Helmut Lang

Excellent and unique. I don't know about the "plum", but I like it better than any of the "old school" leather fragrances that I've tried. Lasts a very long time. Best for cool-to-cold weather. I've still to try it out while wearing a leather jacket... it should go great.

scenteur7's avatar

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

Sweet, sweet, sweet. Overall, my feeling is "eh"! The opening reminds me of Classique and the drydown is, ummm, well, a bit simple (read: boring). This one got swapped rather quickly...

Aquaman by Rochas

Very strong and peppery scent. Good for the summers. Very casual. However the fragrance can be overpowering at times.

Pi by Givenchy

Pi is a great overall fragrance. It has a good mix of citrus and vanilla to begin with, then it fades down into a nice vanilla scent. It also has great staying power (works over 10 hours for me). You only need one spray of this stuff, it is potent. Strong recommendation if you like sweet scents.

Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy

Very sweet and strong. It has a nice smell too it, but it can be overbearing. I think its a good cologne, but its too fruity for some. Fall only, becomes too strong in the summer.

Subtil pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

Incredible top note. That's pretty much the only really good thing about it. It is not very strong (I need about 3 spritzes). It does not last very long (4-5 hours). It also has a horribly deisgned bottle that never sprays where I want it to. The dry down is way too subtle. If you don't like strong colognes, this is for you.

Victoria_O's avatar

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

I love this too! Sexy and warm with a great amber dry down. Too bad it is not out in the USA yet, I'm really wanting more now that my sample is gone. I think it's going to be a big hit!

XendawG's avatar

Carven Homme by Carven

This is one of the best cheap thrills colognes I have ever smelled- spicy, but not pushy about it, and with a slight sweet edge. If you're on a budget this would be the best way to smell good at minimal cost.

XendawG's avatar

Yatagan by Caron

I come down solidly on the positive side on this one- woody, smoky, and (happily) completely w/o the celery-like scent others report. It is extreme, but in the best possible way

Goddess_Dreams's avatar

Hei by Alfred Sung

I can see why not many would enjoy this or rate it as their favorite scent if it does not last, but call it what you will, on my lover this scent is really wonderful. I totally enjoy it and for some reason this is not a short-lived one on him at all... Dunhil Blue on the other hand is like it was not even there after 2 minutes. It's possible that it's just chemistry!

Jon_Remy's avatar

Ungaro I by Ungaro

Yes, this is a picture of Ungaro II. Ungaro I is Red and Green. Anyway, this fragrance always reminded me of opening up a new pack of miniature cherry cigars. It was a wonderful fragrance, and too bad it has been discontinued.

Joshaugustt's avatar

Carlos Santana for Men by Carlos Santana

THIS IS A GREAT, NEW FRAGRANCE...HOPEFULLY THE FIRST OF MANY FROM SANTANA! IT'S VERY FRESH AND SPICY...AND VERY WARM AND LASTING. IT'S QUALITY...ALL THE WAY. I LOOK FORWARD TO THE SHOWER GEL, DEO, AFTER SHAVE ETC...TO "LAYER". THIS IS A GREAT ONE...TRY IT IF YOU LIKE THE ADJECTIVES ABOVE! JOSHAUGUSTT

mikey_p's avatar

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

An iconic fragrance, a work of outstanding skill. This fragrance really does work, but its unusually invasive nature and its instantly recognisable sillage makes it border on the anti-social. Because this evokes such strong responses it is almost impossible to wear. Strictly for indoors. Having said that, it's divine..

20th October, 2005 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2008)

mikey_p's avatar

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

Run out of ideas??? I think so. This is somewhat similar to the awful classique and can hardly be called unisex. There is something quite jarring about this fragrance, it simply does not work at all. Kirkdjian is starting to look like a one trick pony.

Bulgari Petits et Mamans by Bulgari

Very light and baby-powderish with a hint of florals. Cute! It reminds me of a more expensive version of philosophy's Baby Grace, with slightly better lasting power on my skin despite its lack of alcohol. If you have small children, you could probably get about the same effect by sharing their baby shampoo and lotion.

En Avion by Caron

Old classic perfumes and old classic movies share a lot in common, I think. Sometimes I'll watch an old movie, a classic title from the 1930's or 1940's, and find myself distracted from the plot by the dated acting style. It's not that the acting is bad, but it's much closer to dramatic stage acting than what we typically see when we go to the movies today, and as a result often seems a little silly and overblown when watching it through modern eyes. Every once in a while, however, a movie comes along that transcends its release date. Think Casablanca or Miracle on 34th Street. Well, fragrances are the same way in my mind. There are many older fragrances that, while I can appreciate the artistry of their composition, I find their scent to be too dated to wear today. And then occasionally (oh happy day!) I discover one that transcends its age and era. That's what En Avion is for me. It's an old classic that doesn't smell dated or overblown to a modern nose, unlike many of its fragrance peers. It's just a beautiful, luxurious, feminine work of art.

No. 5 by Chanel

Very strong and almost bitter (a little like hospital disinfectant) for the first hour or so, but then it dries down to a wonderful clean, soapy vanilla scent. Shockingly, even my husband who hates Coco likes this. If you can get past the initial unpleasant blast, the fragrance becomes quite nice.