Latest Perfume Reviews

Lavender / Lavande by Jean des Salines

Soapy Lavender for warm weather with average longevity.

Himalaya by Scriabin in the Himalayas

Sometimes a perfumer’s interpretation of a brief is so spot-on that the intention is rendered unambiguous, yet it can also be tricky to keep a perfume’s name / imagery from shaping associations. The name Himalaya combined with the mountain image on the bottle spins this scent into bucolic territories. But even without the packaging clues it would succeed in communicating its message.

Tricky to summarize, this scent suspends clear, airy incense notes over soft, botanical musk. My guess is that it’s chilled olibanum and moss elevated by a deft use of aldehydes. Woods are present, boosted by green-leaning spice notes, and there’s a hint of a white floral in which indole is bolstered by overripe castoreum. An hour or so in, it becomes a resin-driven amber that's ventilated with clove. Every aspect of the scent is understated, working more in gestalt to recreate the kind of environmental smell you might find on a hike. Its presence is striking given that it’s not particularly dominant, and it reads more agrarian than clerical. Although there are contemporary strands present, it has a retro mustachioed feel as well. Not wildly original, but impeccably constructed and wholly enjoyable.

Chypre Mousse (new) by Oriza L. Legrand

The opening is very unusual: a blend of green-like with a herbal, mainly sage undertone. This is blended with an oakmoss-like note. I say green-like and oakmoss-like, for it has a distinct synthetic streak, and smells unlike natural version of these notes. This all is combined with an overall, quite pleasant minty tone - and you get how unusual and interesting the opening phase is.

The drydown adds a good lashing of fern, and soon a mix of wet forest soil, rotting fungi and a rather generic vetiver - the latter providing a touch if freshness. This vetiver has no convincing earthiness attached to it, or if it has, it is drowned out by the rest.

I get moderate sillage, excellent projection and nine hours of longevity on my skin.

This is quite an original idea, a laboratory impression of walking on wet soil outdoors in virtual reality; good for autumn days. The penetrant synthetic undertone that I get on my skin misses the mark, and the whole result is a rather pale image of what potentially might have been.

Imagine O'Driu would have taken on this idea....

2.75/5

Melkmeisje by Baruti

Something tickles my nose, then my throat - sneezy!

It reminds me of the worst of spring in NC - allergies! ARGHHHH!!!

There is something that litteraly catches in the back of my throat - SPICY! HURTS! This hurts!!! I don't want my scents to be painful to my nose and throat! LOL!

I must go scrub this - it and I are so not getting along.

Les Déserts d'Orient - Encens Mythique d'Orient by Guerlain

Blast of Frankincense. Opens as Maharanih Intense.
Stop.
The Nicolai expands, billows with clouds of Civet, Rose, Spices and Patchouli.
MI is a big Mushroom cloud of Femininity.
The Guerlain sits like a pebble on the skin.
I was expecting something to compare to the gargantuan of the Songe.
Give your hard earned to Nicolai.
At least you will get a real perfume.

Les Echappées - Lalibela by Memo

A truly captivating perfume with blended notes to perfection giving an overall feeling of luxury & mystery.

Floriental with a rich vanilla dry down; perfectly unisex for casual or formalwear; day or night.

Do not be put off by other reviews; try it for yourself.

Excellent Projection & Longevity.

Oviatt Show all reviews

Subtil pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

This is not my favorite type of fragrance by a long shot--new age aquatics are a dime a dozen and if I do wear water-inspired scents I tend to like them to be oceanic v. aquatic. That said, this is a really nice and easy to wear fragrance that is exactly as described: subtle. The starter is a slightly fruity opening that drifts into a main course of watery freshness. An herbal side dish adds some vegetal bitterness to offset the sweetness of the fruit which nicely sets up the desert course of cedar and musk. So many others have dished this up but Subtil just simply does this better than most of the other fragrances of this genre and Ferragamo, which has drifted a bit over the years, was still focusing on delivering a high class product when this came out in 2003. I first got it as a gift at a charity event held at Neiman Marcus in Beverly Hills--after the store closed, there was a private party on the men's floor (cash registers were open and a portion went to charity). Lots of Martinis. Lots of shopping. Everyone went home with a gift bag containing a gift set of Subtil EdT, Shower Gel, etc. I don't think I ever would have bought it on my own but wore it and--spurred on by my wife--bought another bottle when it was gone. That is saying something.

True Religion for Men by True Religion

A great leathery peppery scent perfect for Fall/Winter days and nights. It does last 6 to 7 hours on me. For the price and quality this is a buy if you are looking very a solid leather scent. Plus the presentation is cool. Enjoy!

Vera Wang for Men by Vera Wang

Nice offering from Vera Wang. IMHO this is for the 30 and over crowd looking for a nice scent to wear to the office or on nights out with friends or that special someone. I like the initial blast of Green mandarin and Yuzu. It doesn't last very long to my nose but it is nice and the dry down is above average on the verge of being great if it was just a bit stronger. A solid scent for the price. Enjoy!

Musk Marine by Avon

Consider Avon Musk Marine, widely available for well less than $10 for a large bottle. Don't be put off by the name or blue color; there is no colone in the formula from what I can tell. Just clean white musk with the smallest touch of mint/ginger/citrus. Synthetic to be sure, but what white musk isn't? The saving grace is that there is no attempt to push the synthetics beyond their limit, thus avoiding harsh chemical distortion. The result is nearer to Acca Kappa's minimalist Muschio Bianco (available at ~ 20 x the price) than what you might expect. Improbable, but I call 'em as I see 'em. Toss a bottle in your gym bag.

Patou pour Homme (original) by Jean Patou

This is a mere footnote to add a remark exclusively about the vintage aftershave spray.

Vintage Patou Pour Homme EDT is a masterpiece and I love it to distraction. But, let's face it, it is not exactly going to come off as brighter than a bag of buttons and merrier than a gallery of grigs. As even its many fans here acknowledge, it is very rich and can appear overstuffed -- a symptom that perhaps is amplified by its now extended bottle age.

The PPH aftershave is a déglacé version that should not be disregarded (as I admittedly do with all other aftershaves without exception). I use the aftershave as I would an EDT and like the way it wears. It can be more versatile and, interestingly, can offer a different and sometimes clearer perspective on what makes this great formula tick. The note separation seems greater and the mysore has a bit more breathing space. In terms of projection and staying power, it doesn't need to break a sweat to compete with your better quality modern EDTs. Since, unlike the EDT, it is not as rare as a rhinoceros horn at an Asian bazaar, one can apply liberally. In fact, price and availability are remarkably good, considering. Mignon for the minions.

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

It's no secret the house of L'Artisan has gone through some big changes in recent years. What that has meant to the formula of T42 is anybody's guess but recent reviews obviously don't bode well in this regard. SoS.

I date my bottle to 2010. To me, most all tea scents are high-pitched and come off too fem for my taste [I'm a BelAmi, Equipage, Polo, Yatagan, Azzaro, etc., kind of guy]. T42's smoke / rubber / leather / tobac character makes all the difference, crowding out the lemon / honey / ginger in a satisfying manner that tempers its high pitch.

All in all, a 5/5, yet I consider it a novelty scent. Make sense? Perhaps not to some... but a solid collection has its good ole stalwarts ('bricks') as well as those contributing variety ('mortar'). Today it's my SotD, first wear in 16 months. No matter. Except for searing heat, I like it year round.

One direction my nose goes with this that I don't see often, if at all: Tribute Attar; I find the ashy tobac of Tribute to be very dense and pungent by comparison but an overlap with T42 just the same. I'll often pair 'em up for a wear. Go figure.

L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

I still find this scent to be spectacular. Well constructed and balanced. This juice has good longevity and projection. Spring and summer wear. This was my first Yuzu scent and it does not disappoint. Now that prices have come down considerably I would strongly suggest buying a bottle. I have noticed that there has been a slight reformulation in my current bottle but it is still amazing. Enjoy!

Hugo Energise by Hugo Boss

I, being a fan of the Hugo line of fragrances, find this scent to be less than stellar. It is nice for spring / summer wear and would work in a casual or office setting. That being said I find it to be a rather bland scent. It is fresh and clean so that is a positive for the heat of the summer. It stays close to the skin on me after a couple of hours and does last 8 hours even in summer. I do not smell any of the cocoa in the base and it does turn powdery to my nose. For the price its an OK buy but don't go out of your way to purchase.

Annees Folles by La Parfumerie Moderne

The opening starts with a fairly traditional lavender, combined with a herbal undertone, mainly thyme and a slightly spicy nutmeg impression; at times I get a nigh earthy undertone, which is a harbinger of the vetiver that gradually develops.

In the later drydown the vetiver develops further, a medium bright, slightly earthy vetiver that never develops to full strength on my skin; it remains more of and overarching roof than a core note. Then a slightly sweetish tonka note develops that at times has more of a vanilla character towards the end. This tonka dominates the second stage and is a very smooth and rounded version, intense but never intrusive or cloying. A good lashing of benzoin ands a resinous undertone that is on the bright side; there is nothing heavy in this mixture. Towards the end hints of a light contemporary powderiness provide additional nuances.

I get moderate sillage, fairly adequate projection and a good ten hours of longevity on my skin.

This is a pleasant scent, which has an air of the traditional, the well-trodden path. On the other hand the quality of the ingredients is high, with the impression of the use of natural goodness; this is not purely a laboratory creature; and apart from that, the blending is very well done. Overall, well-made. 3.25/5.

English Lavender by Yardley

I wear English Lavender by Yardley in spring/summer mornings for my first dog walk.

The fragrance has the necessary calming properties to wake you up gradually & peacefully.

I mostly detect lavender & tonka notes while wearing it; I adore the relaxing effect it has on me...I also have a solid perfume stick of the fragrance to cool down at work on hot summer days.

Short longevity but well worth the experience...thanks Yardley!

Bayolea by Penhaligon's

I have been using a shaving kit by Bayolea for a few weeks. It consists of face wash, shaving cream & aftershave balm. The shaving razor is retro looking & very sharp.

I have also used a sample of the fragrance that came with the kit.

The result is a grooming dream to look forward to in the mornings; the Barbershop Quality of the products is excellent.

The fragrance is a Fougere affair made of dry lemony & lavender notes with moderate longevity; the feel is very old school and certainly suited for the 40+ gentleman who grew up with discipline & awareness.

Very nice indeed & a must recommendation for fougere lovers. Best for day time wearing in spring/summer.

Leather Oud by Floris

I am actually reviewing Almas Leather Oud which is crafted in Thailand by a producer of Organic Thai Oud Chips and Oils.
The perfume is lightly and florally fruited in the way of many of in this area. The Leather is of a smooth suede with a sweet blossom canvas. Unisex, but leans Feminine.
Very pleasant and free of Synthetic brashness.

Almas Oud Oils have a Fruity Whiskey opening, little Barnyard and a smooth uncomplicated drydown. Aging will probably develop the flavours as the Almas Oil progresses.

Bleu Marine by Pierre Cardin

BLUF: Old-school aquatic, slightly herbal, not-so-slightly synthetic. Unmistakably masculine but boring.

In the 5th grade my Dad gave me a mini-sample of a Gilette aftershave gel. Blue Marine smells exactly like it, although as it develops it becomes slightly herbal a la Horizon (Guy Laroche) but not nearly as unique or worthy. Not an off-putting fragrance, but certainly dated and forgettable.

For me, it's useless except for a trip down memory lane, to a time when I rubbed men's shaving products into my prepubescent, peach-fuzzed cheeks. Pass.
22nd May, 2016 (last edited: 23rd May, 2016)

Kavianca by Henry Jacques

Kavianca is a lovely feminine floral fragrance with a retro feel right from the start.

The start is fruity with raspberries & violets followed by a perfect blend of rose & jasmine which lasts for ages. The dry down is gentle yet refined with hugging notes of amber & musk.

The overall experience is gentle, retro & feminine and very interesting. Longevity is excellent.

Beautiful bottle too...

Jaïpur pour Homme Fraîcheur by Boucheron

Boucheron Jaipur Fraicheur is a great piece of dry-aromatic juice pour homme, equally exotic but basically less talky-heliotropic than its great "main brother" Jaipur Pour Homme (still a giant among the giants in my humble wish-catalog). Spices are still here but significantly subdued while opening is fresher (fraicheur) and more sparkling with its wet accord of bergamot and probably grapefruit lansting longer (unlike in the "original" version) along the following development. I detect a central stage mastered by orange-patchouli-cinnamon/nutmeg and green-spicy florals while dry down Is woodier (woody-powdery by cashmere wood) and decidedly less amberish (less talky/heliotropic) than in its more ethereal predecessor. Immortelle provides a sort of fresh-aromatic, vaguely minty-honeyed, spicy-floral, "agrodolce", curry-like twist with exotic facets. A quite well appointed woody-floral perfect for the mediterranean spring-summer time.

Dark Ride by Xyrena

deadidol spotted one of the highlights of my journey to the AIX.
This is a scent that transported me to the Arcade with the Cotton Candy, Buttered Popcorn and the Whispers of Urinals. When I mentioned Urinals to the perfumer, he raised his eyebrows and seemed to be unsure, however I am the customer and he was polite enough to refrain from the "Whatever" and continued to explain his vision.
It indeed had a cleansing spray of Sea Salt Air that had me impressed with it's thought and execution. Like deadidol I found the scent compelling and it carries a "Campy" artistry. Yes it is surprisingly wearable. A brief sniff of the lineup showed an unexpected competence.

Another of the highlights for me was that of Jessica Hannah. A winner of the show last year with "Skive". She presented a lineup of four. "Sunset Blvd" "Upton" "Orchard" and a beautiful smokey "Sloloo" particularily interesting. A competency that had me buying the set on the spot.

Xyrena's Dark Ride, I wouldn't buy blind, however encourage anyone looking for an innovative new way to scent, grab a sample. Great fun and artistically sound.

Boss Bottled Night by Hugo Boss

I've liked a few Boss scents, but this is the first I've liked enough to buy. It's a delicate, very soapy, fresh fragrance. For me a daytime, warm season thing. I don't get the "night" vibe and I wouldn't say it was particularly masculine or sexy, or particularly unusual, but it is, nonetheless, definitely very, very pleasant. I would wear this for work. Makes me think of a guy in a light grey suit, open necked white shirt, pleasant and attractive. Violet and lavender mixed, and woods too in the dry down. My only criticism of this is that the protection is a bit too soft and it sadly wears off to a close skin scent within an hour. I love the midnight-blue bottle, although I don't think it particularly matches the scent. Overall recommended and a thumbs up. May 2016.

Canali Men by Canali

A drastically unimpressive sort of herbal-woody-fresh & musky suede-infused designer mishmash, a sort of fruity “neo-fougère” ideally between Cerruti Essence and Canali Style, just fruitier. Surely, as other reviewers mentioned already, the fruity-ozonic head accord paired with suede and that whole musky-woody foundation echoes Grès Cabaret Homme a bit too, given the nose is also the same, but well... Canali contains too much musky plastic to be realistically compared to that. I mean literally – take all those notes, and wrap them in plastic, that’s how Canali Men smells. Cabaret smells maybe a bit more conservative, but way crisper, bolder and overall much better made than Canali (and it’s way cheaper than that).

I admit that the touch of pineapple (or whatever that head aromachemicals are intended to evoke) works fine with the musky-suede accord though, creating a sort of poor man’s Aventus-like feel in a cheaper disguise (and that says it all, since Aventus isn’t exactly Patou pour Homme). But that’s however a very minor positive nuance of an otherwise desperately dull concoction – which besides being flat and weak from the very beginning, is also ridicolously short-lived. Desperately lacking in anything making it worth even just a third of its current collector’s prices.

4,5/10

Vetiver Royal Bourbon (new) by Oriza L. Legrand

The opening is a pleasant mix of vetiver, hints of spearmint and a slightly boozy notes of a terribly dilated whiskey. Pure Malt ultra lite, so to speak, the vetiver is fairy clean, but a bit of root and earthiness is shiny through in a nice and interesting way.

The drydown brings in a softer turn, an iris in the background and a good load of styrax. Whatever tobacco I get is few and far between and ultra generic; and hints of a suede-like leather are added in the base.

The sillage is moderate, the projection adequate and the longevity six hours on my skin.

This spring scent has strong points, but some of its components are lack vividness and intensity. There are however nice moments in the drydown, where the smoothly-executed blending leads to stretches of a harmonious combination of the disparate parts. On the whole, however, this just misses the mark as far as reaching a positive score is concerned. 2.75/5

Dark Ride by Xyrena

Dark Ride was a finalist at this years’ IAO Awards and, for me, it was the standout of the night. I grabbed a bottle soon after and, while waiting for it to arrive, I wondered if I’d made a hideous mistake. The perfume claims to smell like a theme park water ride centered upon (among other industrial horrors) chlorine, but to me it splits the difference between a disinfected motel room and a urinal puck. While I’m sure this sounds horrifying, there’s something totally compelling about it.

I’ve been wearing it for the past couple of weeks and I’m surprised by how much I’m enjoying it. Although I can’t quite figure out how it ticks, it doesn’t seem overly complicated; there’s not a ton of development. However, there’s enough nuance to elevate it beyond schlock experimentation. It conjures up highly synthetic imagery: astroturf, air vents, and a dental spittoon with an electrical charge running through it. My guess is that there’s moss, a slice of maltol, and most likely a fistful of dimethyl hydroquinone — a crystalline material that, when diluted, smells like a mix of grass and the afore-mentioned (clean) urinal.

The scent wears like a robotic version of Lush’s Dirty; there’s an antiseptic, metallic quality to it but it’s the touch of sweetness that balances it and makes it so amiable. Although the initial blast is unnerving, it dies down to what I’d describe as carbonated disinfectant. It’s brisk and chilly and absolutely weird, but it’s also cheery, fun, and surprisingly well done. Nobody should approach this scent expecting a technical masterpiece, and both the scent and over-the-top packaging underscore the irreverent nature of the brand, but Dark Ride’s a great aura-style perfume that’s priced fairly and makes palatable a disgusting concept. Weird but weirdly wearable, and totally enjoyable. It’s one of the most unique scents I’ve smelled in some time.

Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

this is a nice take on a classic citrus cologne motif...initial blast of citrus is fierce and juicy...smells mostly orangey to me...the refreshing feel and overall scent vibe I get reminds me of being a kid and sneaking my dads 4711 and splashing myself with a good handfull...alas , like a lot of fragrances of this type it has a very short life...when I wear this I reapply frequently to get that initial rush...dries down to a soft cozy mossy/earthy skin scent...great smell, but neutral on it due to weak projection and longevity...
Refreshing Citrus

Mr. Burberry by Burberry

Irrelevant? Yes. Horrible? Not. A generic woody-aromatic liquid with a revisited mainstream formula yet runned by tons of perfumers in a plenty of forgetable juices of the past (many Zegna, Givenchy, Lanvin, Tommy Hilfiger easily submerged by a speedy forgetfulness etc). Mr Burberry starts freshly aromatic (with this nowadays taking the world by storm fresh-liquid cardamom), typically citric (a classic accord of citrus, grapefruit, metallic notes and hints of flowers- jasmine?), going on developing a sweetly spicy core (nutmeg, cinnamon?) in order to end down towards a yet more boring sharp woodiness (dominant) partially counteracted by hints of mild balsams. Finally it conjures me a lot Givenchy Gentleman Only (sharper, saltier and equally boring) and CK Contradiction Men (but scents as V&A Tsar, Ungaro III, Heaven Chopard, Bond N.9 Wall Street, Paco Rabanne Invictus, Chanel Bleu and many many others come on my mind for several of their nuances). By a whisker "barely mediocre" (a successfull 4,75/10 from me). Nothing new under the sun and nothing more to add guys.

P.S: good longevity, the "long tail" dry down unfolds a sort of simil amberish (simil ambergris) spicy/peppery/rooty piquancy (warm and ostensibly testosteronic) which I appreciate a lot for its warmth and virility. There is far, far worse of it around in the mainstream perfumery.
21st May, 2016 (last edited: 23rd May, 2016)

Angelina by Henry Jacques

Angelina is a beautiful fragrance by Henry Jacques that I would classify within the oriental category.

It starts with a lemony top note followed by a blend of rose & jasmine wrapped up in an ambery cloud of sandalwood & vanilla. I detect nuances of rum possibly cognac; is this the vanilla peeking through? Perhaps...

Longevity is excellent.

Angelina belongs to the group of fragrances for women by Henry Jacques although to my nose it could be worn by men in cooler weather. Vanisia & Nohiba came to mind when wearing it...

I would recommend wearing Angelina in the evening during autumn/winter to fully appreciate its character.

21st May, 2016 (last edited: 22nd May, 2016)

Pharrell Williams GIRL by Comme des Garçons

The packaging, branding and bottle are completely beyond my comprehension, so this is just about the scent. I love violet, so this is already a winner for that reason. For me this is violet and black pepper in equal measure at the start, the violet lasting longer as time goes on. It fades to a more powdery skin scent after a couple of hours. I really like the juxtaposition of the slightly sweet, powdery floral and the warm spice, it's a contrast but it works well. It's a pleasant, unisex fragrance. In contrast with others' opinions here, I can't imagine anyone finding this offensive. For me this would be a safe "office" scent (part of me would hope no-one would ask me what it's called though :))
May 2016