Fragrance Reviews from October 2005

evilrix's avatar
    evilrix

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

I just cannot get enough of this scent. It's not just the best fragrance I've ever smelt, I honestly think it is the best anything I've ever smelt. It reminds me of candy-floss. It smells nothing like the other XS range (which I was never over keen on). I cannot praise this scent enough.

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

Azzaro is one of the truly great designer scents. Timeless—it is the epitome of classic fougeres. Its herbaceous / citrus / lavender opening accord has a clean, direct clarity—an elegantly tailored fresh and aromatic beginning. The heart notes emphasize the masculinity of the fragrance with its spices, conifers, and woodnotes. As dry as the notes read, they come off more ‘elegant’ than ‘dark.’ This fragrance is a gentleman, not a rogue. The base is especially rich with musk, oakmoss, and ambergris—solid and substantial, with the amber taking center stage. Azzaro is an elegant fragrance, but it is fresh enough to be worn comfortably in more casual circumstances. Handsome, refined, adaptable, fresh, and long lasting—it’s hard to beat.

02 October, 2005 (Last Edited: 15 October, 2006)

Chrome by Azzaro

It opens with a bright burst of citrus/ aquatic with a metallic undertone sharp, but only sharp enough to add energy and interest. Definitely synthetic, but the synthetic-ness is attractive and fits appropriately with an EDT named ‘Chrome.’ Its floral midnotes are more subtle than its opening. The base notes are light, traditional, and woody with the persistent echo of the signature metallic note. Chrome is young and clean and quite modern. It is generally non-offending. It throws a respectable amount of pleasant sillage and stays without variation or quirks for a good long while. This is why it is so popular: It is well blended, non obnoxious, has excellent longevity, and, for being one of many light fragrances, it is neither a cK one nor a mE too. Chrome is its own person.

02 October, 2005 (Last Edited: 10th January, 2006)

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Top notes: Laurel, Artemisia, Coriander, Bergamot
    Middle notes: Carnation, Cinnamon, Geranium, Jasmine
    Base notes: Vetiver, Patchouli, Amber, Musk, Incense

Kouros is an astounding fragrance, but it’s opening really scares me. I get something that smells powerfully “perfumy.” This attack impresses me as somewhat un-masculine because of the flowery-ness of the strong aldehydes, the bergamot, and especially the floral notes rising up from the heart—all these notes dominate to my nose. The middle notes are almost completely floral spiced up with cinnamon and a bit of cloves; the middle notes are actually easier for me to take than the top notes—and with the middle notes, I’m beginning to like the scent. There is even a little gasoline note shadowing the background—a note that I enjoy. It is the dry down that completely wins me over: The incense / honey / oak moss dominate the base and there is a trace of patchouli and vetiver. The base is totally enthralling—it’s one of the richest, most satisfying accords I’ve found in designer fragrances. This base makes Kouros my favorite comfort scent.

If I search hard and use my imagination for those elusive urine notes that others talk about, I can find them; but why on earth would I want to search for them? And as for the infamous urinal cake—well, I don’t really think so, but even if it did smell like that, it wouldn’t bother me. In spite of the fact that I have many scents that I truly love from beginning to end; and, as much as I have had to fight its opening of Kouros, I find myself turning to Kouros over and over again. In fact, when I really think about it, even the raucous opening has endeared itself to me—I think I’d miss it if I no longer could smell it.

Kouros is very strong, but it comes in several versions. Kouros Fraîcheur is an ingenious scent that trims down much of the excessiveness of the original Kouros, yet manages to stay remarkably true to the uniqueness of the original. Kouros Sport tones down the Kouros spirit even more—too much in my opinion. Body Kouros—the one that got me to buy Kouros by mistake, is a completely different scent.

Anyone who is serious about fragrances should at least try Kouros—it is a ‘love it or hate it’ scent that has managed to be a big seller for twenty-five years—that usually spells quality. It is an experience. As for me, I don’t know how to quit it.

02 October, 2005 (Last Edited: 04 March, 2007)

Pour Un Homme by Caron

I don’t really get much citrus out of the opening, I mainly get a startling lavender / rose / herb accord. The accord soon joins with the vanilla from the base to form a pleasant barbershop-like, sweet, powdery lavender that holds well. This is basically ‘the’ scent for an hour or two. I am rather undecided about this lavender accord—at times I really like it and at others I find it cloying. When the scent seems to disappear, it really hasn’t—there is a dry down where a sweet powdery lavender hugs the skin for several hours: You (or anyone else) have to get up close and personal to smell it. In spite of my ambivalence, I consider this a classic that no collection should be without—especially considering the price.

02 October, 2005 (Last Edited: 18 June, 2006)

Yatagan by Caron

I’ve been defeated, but I am still proud of my efforts… After years of trying to wear Yatagan, hoping to some day tolerate its aggressiveness, I’ve given up… I couldn’t do it: The wormwood, artemisia, leather, and castoreum form a combination that is lethal to my nose. I sure would love to smell what other reviewers smell in this, but to me, this is is close to fragrance hell. (Edit of 02 October 2005 review.)

02 October, 2005 (Last Edited: 17 August, 2009)

rose0810's avatar
    rose0810

Dior Addict 2 by Christian Dior

the most AWESOME fragrance out there.. it starts out really fruity and floral but winds down as the day progresses to the most delicate, splendid musk. WONDERFUL!! highly recommend.. ladies, save those pennies.. well worth the money.

No. 5 by Chanel

Chanel is indeed timeless, as my Mother always wore it, ever since she was in her early twenties. It does and will always remind me of her.. and I do like it on myself, although it's not my favorite. I just put on some of the bath oil, it's just exquisite-- although I cannot say why I enjoy this version better than the parfum... *Takes a deeeep breath*

Shalimar by Guerlain

Pure sophistication-- mouthwatering perfection-- in a beautiful, classic bottle. To me, the creation of a a lighter version of Shalimar is an indirect insult.. why water down something so unique in it's own right?

Timothy's avatar
    Timothy
    Germany Germany

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

Never, ever, try this fragrance on paper. It smells simply horrible on paper. But it's absolutely amazing on skin. The opening is a bit sharp and pungent thanks to the strong grapefruit note. Although it's listed on the bottle, I can't detect the mint leaf note. The drydown is fantastic. VI has an unusual middle note composed of sesame and mocha (coffee). It smells a little like the sesame-oil I sometimes use for asian dishes and the coffee note reminds me of A*Men or Rochas Man. But the fragrance is no cheap A*Men rip-off or another variation of the gourmand theme. It has some of the qualities of a gourmand scent (edible notes like sesame and mocha but it's too green and woody to be a typical gourmand.
    After about an hour, you can smell the basenotes. Definitely sweet but pleasant with a subtle woody touch. I have no idea what hazlenut wood smells like, but I don't think that there's a wood that smells like the drydown of VI. Not very natural but very good though.
    The staying power is above average, good enough to last for six and more hours.
    The bottle looks stylish and contemporary, the color of the bottle fades from green to black and the spray mechanism works good and looks great.
    All in all a great, unusual scent. Very original, which is quite rare these days (at least when you look at recent "mainstream" scents).

Allen-at-home's avatar
    Allen-at-home

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

Pepper and tea bags: that's all I smell. Usually, I like pepper scents... but only if they're well-blended with other scents. This one's very dry and boring.

The review above was done years ago. I have since changed my mind. What was once "dry and boring" to me is now quite nice, especially with that lemony opening, although lemon isn't one of the notes (but orange is).

02 October, 2005 (Last Edited: 10th May, 2013)

Quorum by Antonio Puig

Sniffing this one again brings back memories. There is something so real, so “there” about Quorum—it doesn’t have much sophistication, it has absolutely no finesse, but it boasts loads of character. It is a straightforward, masculine-of-the-days-gone-by fragrance that brooks nothing less than extreme dryness and starkness. The light citrus notes of the opening are overwhelmed by the deeper darker aromatics of artemisia, cumin, pine. and patchouli—apparently the citruses are not masculine enough. The florals of the middle don’t even dare to rear their beautiful heads. The ultra macho leather and tobacco control the base with the help of the moss and incense. Quorum is about as rawly masculine as a fragrance can get.

I don’t wear Quorum very much anymore. The world has changed and I’ve changed, too. But taking a sniff of Quorum reminds me of where I’ve come from and I miss that more than I like to admit. Quorum’s not a beautiful or smooth or balanced or creative scent. It’s a celebration. It's extremely masculine and it achieves its masculinity with its darkness and potency. It has grit and character, and I’ll always keep a bottle of it around. (Edit of 02 October 2005 review. My first review – now edited.)

02 October, 2005 (Last Edited: 14 December, 2013)

desmondpereira's avatar
    desmondpereira

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Pronounced 'Yope!', this has been one of my favourites for the last 19 years! It is a classic fragrance for the daring and dead-sexy-masculine if you're adventurous, bold and unique.

Not for the faint-hearted, my dears!

03 October, 2005 (Last Edited: 13 April, 2008)

Joshaugustt's avatar
    Joshaugustt

Hugo Energise by Hugo Boss

Nothing here. Save your money.

DKNY Men (original) by Donna Karan

DKNY smells really good. It's not only because of its composition (contains cotton - that's intriguing). It's also the quality - the perfume is really long-lasting and so concentrated that it's better not to inhale it just after application. Donna Karan has created a very elegant, but fresh and sharp perfume. But rather conservative - so good for casual wear.

Hugo by Hugo Boss

First time I really liked this fresh scent but now I find it a bit insipid, lacking one, dominating ingredient. Nevertheless, Hugo has something curious in its composition what makes it smell purely natural. I must admit it's not too long lasting. But I was presented with a bottle, I wouldn't fuss :-)

Style In Play by Lacoste

One of my favourite scents. The top note of manzana verde liquor it's what makes this perfume so unique. I would describe it as a very positive, light, sweet scent, but (without a doubt) a masculine one, with interesting woody base. I find it perfect for daytime wear - not "intrusive", yet original and sophisticated.

Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel

Delicate, complex and mysterious... just like me! I now admit, I've fallen, harder than usual & wonder, will this last?

Dior Addict by Christian Dior

My daring, sexy, voluptuous fragrance used exclusively for parties and late-night rendezvous...

Uzkalnis's avatar
    Uzkalnis

Blue Jeans by Versace

Yes it IS very much like pipe tobacco with those jammy, fruity tones, but it does not stop it from being distinctly feminine. I fail to make a connection here with the whole jeans thing, but maybe it is just me. Andrius Uzkalnis.

Uzkalnis's avatar
    Uzkalnis

Quorum by Antonio Puig

Like many fine fragrances, it does gain complexity with drydown. It may not be the most accomplished of tobacco fragrances (personally, I think that tobacco note is overstated here), and works of tobacco genius like Armani Havana or Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme eclipse it no doubt, but this is still a true classic. This is about unashamed, old-style masculinity; no political correctness or inclusivity here.

Very Irrésistible by Givenchy

its very irresistable, along with my pi it is the new base foundation of my pimping rotation. I am the first to have it, so if u buy it than it is only going to remind her of me...

Cool Water by Davidoff

an original stepping stone to cool grounds or i mean water! It never fails to take compiments daily and drives women crazy! I beg to differ, so many fragrances out that its actually rare to find anyone that still has a bottle, that makes me again one of the kind original reborn.

Pi by Givenchy

one of the best, my second in command signatire cologne next to angel. I now have pi, angel, very irresistable, candies, cool water, styletto[rare fm brazil], and nightflight. pi is one of the most erotic of them all and is my woman seducer scent of the night.

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

A great one with my best like angel, candies, cool water, pi, styletto[rare sold only in brazil]; nightflight. definatly in the rotation if you can handle it.

D&G Masculine by Dolce & Gabbana

Strong citrus scent , i can pick up musk and fresh shit also, i really like this a lot

212 Men On Ice by Carolina Herrera

Smells sexy and cool! I really like this one and its lasting all day too.

Chic for Men by Carolina Herrera

Lasts long and smells sexy and sweet.

Francesco Smalto pour Homme by Francesco Smalto

Francesco Smalto Pour Homme opens on a fresh note — slightly green, somewhat citric, more aromatic than green-herbal: It’s a nice opening but I personally don’t care for the anise note that, to me, muddies up the freshness of the opening a bit. The opening is an interesting accord, though — it is rustic, masculine, and discreet – actually quite unique. In the heart notes, the aromatics grow somewhat stronger, moving into a true herbal / green — richer than the opening, but retaining discretion and centered in a soft smoky ambiance. The dry down is an example of a genuine rustic fougere: moss, hay and leather. I love the hay note, and although I usually don’t like leather in a fragrance, the leather here seems to work okay for me. This was once my favorite fragrance, and after all these years, I still find it interesting and I wear it once in a while. It is ultra-masculine, and it performs well on the skin with very good longevity. (Edit of 04 October 2005 review. Changed from a thumb’s up.)

04 October, 2005 (Last Edited: 17 August, 2009)

incedal's avatar
    incedal

Mambo for Men by Liz Claiborne

This has to be one of the worst ever blind buys, it smells like a orange scented bathroom cleaner, I put my 50ml bottle in the garbage on the first day, could not not give it away because of how bad it smells.