Fragrance Reviews from October 2005

Coco by Chanel

I really, REALLY enjoy Coco's sweet, woody vanilla drydown. It's probably not something I would wear everyday, but this is definitely a fragrance I'd reach for before a special event or going out for a nice evening. Too bad my husband doesn't like it. Normally that would stop me from buying a fragrance since I don't like to torture the poor guy, but now that it's fall I find myself really craving a bottle, so he's going to have to deal with it this time:)

Casmir by Chopard

Casmir is one of the most delightfully complex vanilla-based fragrances I've ever found. This is not CSP! It's a little heavier than I normally prefer, and I definitely think of it as a winter fragrance, but if you're looking for something oriental and mysterious, this is it. Out of all the fragrances I've ever worn, Casmir is far and away the one that's gotten me the most compliments. When I first discovered Casmir during high school back in the 90s, even my dad commented on how great it smelled...and for him to notice anything scent- or beauty-related is an absolute miracle, so it must be pretty good! It's one of those rare perfumes that stops strangers dead in their tracks - all the women will want to know what you're wearing, and all the men will tell you how nice you smell :) The Taj Mahal-inspired bottle is beautiful, too.

Cashmere Mist by Donna Karan

My husband bought this for me on a trip to NY thinking that I had mentioned liking it, when actually I was talking about Chopard's Casmir. He got bonus points for trying, though! Cashmere Mist is definitely what I would categorize as a fall/winter fragrance - it's too heavy for warmer months. A tiny drop of the perfume on each wrist is enough to last all day. It's a strong, comforting, somewhat complex scent without much sweetness. As the name implies, the scent is vaguely reminiscent of a soft, elegant wool sweater with a hint of powder. I wasn't a big fan at first, but then I found myself coming back to the bottle again and again. P.S. I'm looking for the glass lid to the .5 oz pure perfume bottle, so if you have a spare lying around, please let me know!

Vol de Nuit by Guerlain

This is a very odd term to apply to a fragrance, but I think of Vol de Nuit as a protandrous sequential hermaphrodite, or an organism that changes from male to female. When first applied, Vol de Nuit is a masculine cologne, somewhat old-fashioned but with that distinctive Guerlain je ne sais quoi. I feel a bit self-conscious wearing it, like I've become Diane Keaton looking goofy in a tuxedo. After a couple of hours, though, it morphs into a lovely feminine powdery fragrance, also somewhat old-fashioned but with that unique, romantic Guerlain flavor. Perhaps the duality of the fragrance is meant to represent the brave pilot and the woman praying for his return? I probably won't ever purchase Vol de Nuit because I prefer Apres l'Ondee, but I love the history behind the name, and the bottle is a work of art.

Sun by Jil Sander

Sun is a wonderfully clean, completely unoffensive scent. Great for summer! It's very similar to Joop for Men but with a little more spicyness. I'm not sure if this is marketed as a unisex fragrance or not, but I could definitely imagine a man wearing Sun.

Aqua Allegoria Lavande Velours by Guerlain

I'm not a big fan of lavender, so I had a feeling I wouldn't like this but I decided to try it anyway in the hopes that Guerlain had combined it into something palatable. Nope. It doesn't even smell much like lavender to me...it actually reminds me more of Off Bug Repellant than anything else.

Benetroessere Raving by Etro

When I was a little girl, my mother would give me warm salt water to gargle when I had a sore throat. Raving smells like iodized salt mixed with tap water, plus a tiny bit of something sickeningly sweet. Really and truly, this is one of the worst fragrances I've ever inhaled.

Benetroessere Relent by Etro

Relent begins as Love's Baby Soft for grownups, but quickly dries down to a lovely warm amber scent that calls to mind classics like En Avion or Vol de Nuit. It's not as complex as these older fragrances, but it's a nice affordable substitute. Be patient with Relent and give it some time on your skin - it's worth the wait!

La Haie Fleurie du Hameau by L'Artisan Parfumeur

La Haie Fleurie du Hameau is a luscious, intoxicating jasmine fragrance with honeysuckle and narcissus notes giving it a sweet, clean edge. It's very similar to Serge Luten's A La Nuit. I'd have a hard time justifying the purchase of both since they're so much alike and so expensive, but if I ever won the lottery I would have a bottle of each on my dresser.

Tubéreuse Criminelle by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I love tuberose...but not when it's mixed with Denorex coal tar shampoo. I even waved my wrist under my husband's nose to make sure I wasn't imagining the coal tar, and he confirmed my reaction. I don't want someone to catch a whiff of my expensive perfume and assume that I have a severe dandruff problem!! It's too bad, because the scent of tuberose that shines through the Denorex is quite pretty. Definitely one of the more interesting fragrances out there.

you_show's avatar

Bogart pour Homme by Jacques Bogart

omg this is amzing!
    its peppery, blackcurranty, patchouli and staying power all into one!

aztec's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

Cyprès-Musc by Creed

Another fan here.

Cyprès-Musc is not a "pretty" scent but I like it's rugged individuality and it's very unlikely to be recognized. Here are my notes from a few years ago:

sharp rather than mild but the edge softens somewhat in the drydown.
    dry not wet. good longevity.
    green + piney + resin = coniferous

AZTEC

dallasconundrum's avatar

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

Not what I was expecting at all. Polo Black is not "bad" but it is not particularly good either. The lasting power is not very good either. I have only worn it a few times, so maybe I need to give it more of a chance.

fenton_t_fox's avatar

Wales Wales

Norma Kamali Incense by Norma Kamali

this is one powerful copal like incense perfume that could transport you away in search of your spirit animal if over applied in confined spaces,not feminine at all to my nose and this lasts and lasts in fact i think the 100 ml bottle i have will outlast me

Desire for a Woman by Dunhill

Desire for women, as is the Red one for men, is just yummy! I love the warmth in this fragrance. I love the way it opens up with rich sensuality, followed by the heart notes which are wonderfully enticing and creamy. The dry down is enchanting with warmth that follows from the beginning to the end. I find that Desire is long-lasting and prefer to wear it during the cooler months. I just can't get enough of its rich flavorful clouds of desire following behind me... like little red and pink clouds filled with hearts, passion and DESIRE.
    Desire is deep and very sensual, perfect for romantic wear. But I will wear it any time I feel like it; it's a fragrance that is suitable for any age - I'm 30. There is a creamy-caramelly scent in it that men love and women always ask about. I would say that Desire is one of those yummy scents like Pink Sugar without the sharp burnt sugar note. I do love Pink Sugar too, but Desire is smoother and like I said creamier. I rate it a 10* scent! Oh I also forgot to mention that this is definitely a fragrance that oozes confidence and bold/adventurous-femininity (not a shy-girl fragrance)... you wear this because you love being seen and heard :) Perfect too, because there is just something about DESIRE that makes people look-up and notice you; want to be near you and around you :) You wear DESIRE because you are the type of a woman who loves to laugh out-loud, you're playful and happy. That is what I think of DESIRE!

Initial by Boucheron

I tried this fragrance a little while ago and it was love at first sight! I just could not get it out of my head until I got it. A fragrance so warm and loving so charming and whimsical like a very special memory. Alluring in a provocative way but not at all over-the-top. Sophisticated and grown-up. It makes me feel sexy like a pair of Gucci Tall-boots does, like sexy lace lingerie under an Armani fur coat would! It's sexy but still very classy! The first day I tried it I got complements--and that always makes a woman feel good. I would say that Initial is for anyone to wear. I'm 30 and love its wonderful scent, but a woman of any age might find this perfume enticing and find a new friend in it. I have!

Sheer Obsession by Calvin Klein

In my opinion Sheer Obsession is not a light fragrance as I've seen it described in a few places. I see it as both soft and yet powerful; sexy and passionate! There is something quite inviting about it :) I love the way it opens up and caresses your skin with its soft feathered wings - reminds me of a dove in flight :) And then it sharpens up just ever so slightly and it starts to uncoil and unfurl in a most wonderful transformation of musk, and amber.... The incense mentioned is not a headache inducing type of experience either, it just mellowly comes for the ride on the doves wings and carries with it wonderful adventures :) I rarely like Calvin Klein fragrances but both this and the Obsession Night are quite enticing to me :)

Rouge Hermès by Hermès

Do I like it? Oh yes I do! But what is it about this fragrance? There is just something that is off, a little weird, in a good way but at the same time just a little weird... And like this explanation of the fragrance I am lost when trying to explain the feel you get when you wear it... I liked it when I first sprayed it on, a little strong but I personally don't mind that. Then there is the transformation which happens pretty fast on me and then I am told that it smells like soap. Now I wonder where that came from, especially since after having read all these posts I see no one at all mention that this could ever possibly smell like soap whatsoever... Once again, I do like it but now I'm not sure if I really want to buy this... Maybe for the winter this will make a prefect companion on the way to work and in the office, on the drive home on those wintery cold days... but I'm not so sure that my fiance really liked it on me that much :) He simply just prefers lighter scents, and I love the more sensuous slightly heavier ones :)

Hugo Deep Red by Hugo Boss

Deep Red is very temperamental in my opinion. Like a really naughty child! I love it, but there are times when it just does not go on as it should. I find that it changes with my mood. If I feel vitalized, confident, sexy... Deep Red will reflect that... But if I feel tired and not in the best of moods Deep Red will tell on you! Still, I just love the way this fragrance smells, its deep sensual and delicious waves of passion are undeniably enticing at the right time. I really enjoy the opening notes of Cassis, Pear, Blackcurrant, Tangerine, Calabrian Clementine, and Blood Orange... and then the hear of the fragrance mesmerizes me with Butterfly Lily, Freesia, Leather and Hibiscus Seeds... they all flow so nicely together... and the dry-down too is absolutely gorgeous. So no matter how temperamental Deep Red is at times, it only mirrors me after all...

Mauboussin by Mauboussin

Mauboussin is so charmingly sensual, so unique and unusual... Definitely a fragrance that would make you stand out. "Composed of golden fruits for airy freshness, rich floral notes for sensual voluptuousness and precious woods for mysterious depth. The result is an exclusive, caramel blonde note of mystery and a sensational seductive fragrance"... (very well described by someone else). I truly enjoy wearing it! Mauboussin is just enchanting and so lusciously creamy, who could resist it? I do have to add however, that personally I think that Mauboussin is a perfect autumn and winter scent; which might not be so wonderful in the summer heat! As for it being compared to Angel and Wish, I really have to disagree. Mauboussin is far more refined, with a style and boldness of its own. Mauboussin is undeniably and utterly feminine exhibited in the way it evokes pleasure and desire... I just love it!

Nu Eau de Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent

Nu is rich, mysterious, luxurious, enchanting. It's a woody oriental scent that hides nothing yet gives no secrets away. Nu is a warm, deep scent that is just perfect for winter or fall when the air is crisp and this scent just comes to life. I doubt I would or could wear it in the summer heat however. Now as far as comparing it to other fragrances is concerned, it does remind me of Black Cashmere when I first applied it. I absolutely love Black Cashmere but find it harder to wear than Nu. Some state that Nu smells similar to Dune but I have to disagree with that... Other than the fact that both have a strong scent of sandalwood in them I see no other resemblance, although Dune drives that sandal scent, in my opinion to far, whereas Nu is just perfect! I can also see why some consider it slightly too masculine, but really for me its just lovely. I was a little apprehensive to apply it before going to the office in the morning, and went back and forth on the decision the first time, but once I applied it I knew it was the right decision. I love it and so do a lot of others!

Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss

I just love this one on him!!! It lasts and lasts and lasts and when he leaves in the morning for work I can still smell him in my arms... and on my drive to work I still can catch a slight whiff of that deliscious scent and... I love it.

Blush by Marc Jacobs

Just such a pretty fragrance. Although often labeled as a totally SUMMER fragrance I have to disagree with that since I do think it as pretty much all season type. There is just something so antique about its composition in the way it unfolds and wraps around you. Just simply lovely! It reminds me of beautiful things in life, things meant to be treasure and savored! It reminds me of candy-pink, and powder-blue dresses, puffy sleeves and ornate wigs worn by high-class ladies oh and those painted-on beauty marks! The lasting power of Blush is pretty remarkable as far as I'm concerned. In fact I can smell it hours after I've applied it. I have to admit though that I don't have a very light hand when I do apply it in the first place ;) It somewhat reminds me of Burberrys Tender Touch but Tender Touch is a little more intense and actually longer-lasting if you will - the fact is that with Tender Touch I find that it just stays and stays and stays - Literally, I will spray in the morning and would be able to smell it the next morning. Having said all that, I would just like to add that Blush is a sensual fragrance for those moments when a woman just wants to be adored and loved! True Jasmine scent!

Paris Hilton by Paris Hilton

I never thought I would like this, I do though. It smells a lot like Ralph by Ralph Lauren but a lot nicer in my opinion and longer lasting. Not as sweet as Ralph either. Having said that let me add that this fragrance is one that is easy to like and just as easy to forget and not wear again. At least for me! It's easy to wear, but there is nothing that stands out about it, nothing that makes it memorable, nothing that you would never forget once you've smelled it. I think of it as an easy spring, but even more so summer scent.

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

I have to admit that at first LOVELY is not at all what I'd expected! I guess I was thinking it would smell flowery, connecting Sarah Jessica Parker to it and her pink tutu's. Having said that, I think Lovely is a 100 times better than I thought it could ever be. Lovely is definitely a scent for a confident woman, it's not frilly or girly smelling (this is what I thought it would be however, and was very pleasantly surprised when I found out that it's not!). It's intoxicating and alluring and has a power of its own. The lasting/staying power is just remarkable, but the best part is that it only smells better and better as the day goes on and the fragrance mixes with your own chemistry. One of my favorites! I guess SJP really knows what she wanted when she was assisting in making this potion. Oh and it's really unlike anything else that's on the market right now, especially as far as the newer fragrances go!

American Crew Classic Fragrance by American Crew

BASENOTES DESCRIPTION SAYS IT ALL...IT'S A SUBTLE, SPICEY, CITRUS FRAGRANCE. I LIKE IT ONCE AND AWHILE. IT'S VERY REFRESHING. JOSHAUGUSTT

Arrogance pour Homme (original) by Arrogance

THIS IS STHE ORIGINAL ARROGANCE FRAGRANCE AND IT'S ONE OF THEIR BEST. IT'S STILL AVAILABLE IF YOU LOOK HARD. THIS FRAGRANCE HAS IT ALL...IT'S WARM, GREEN, WOODY, SPICY AND IT ALL ENDS UP...VERY, VERY MELLOW. A LITTLE GOES A LONG WAY. AND IT'S REALLY WORTH A TRY. I LOVE IT. JOSHAGUSTT

Cabaret Homme by Grès

I JUST WANT TO ADD A BIG THUMBS UP FOR CABARET. I AGREE WITH BOTH OF THE LAST TWO REVIEWS. THIS ONE IS A "FRESH" FIND. IT'S DEFINITELY WORTH TRYING...AND YOU'LL PROBABLY LIKE IT, TOO. JOSHAUGUSTT

Dunhill Fresh by Dunhill

BASED ON THESE REVIEWS, IT SEEMS GUYS EITHER LOVE IT OR HATE IT. I LOVE IT. I CAN'T EVEN IMAGINE NOT LOVING IT. I THINK THE NEW DUNHILL HOMME AND DUNHILL FRESH ARE TWO OF THE BEST, NEW FRAGRANCES PRODUCED IN THE PAST FEW YEARS. JOSHAUGUSTT

Cumming by Alan Cumming

THIS IS THE ONLY FRAGRANCE I'VE EVER TRIED...THAT ACTUALLY SMELLED LIKE BODY ODOR!!! I HAVE NO IDEA WHICH OF THE INGREDIENTS GIVE IT THIS DUBIOUS DISTINCTION (THE HIGHLAND MUD? OR THE CIGAR?)... IT DOESN'T MATTER...JUST STAY FAR FAR AWAY FROM THIS OVERPRICED, RANCID SCENT. JOSHAUGUSTT