Fragrance Reviews from October 2005

Lyman's avatar

GFT by Geo F Trumper

An excellent, fresh, sunny, clean scent. It's citrus, which I think of as sharp, but GFT is smooth, almost powdery. Long lasting. Basically just an excellent scent, in every way that it could be.

liquid's avatar

Joop! Homme by Joop!

when joop! was introduced it was unique and daring - unlike anything out there. i've since outgrown it, but it's still good. plus, girls (18-23) dig it. just don't use too much... really. take it easy with this one. seriously.

Twitchly's avatar

Eau de Guerlain by Guerlain

Pros: Dry lemon/citrus with no juiciness or sweetness. Think of the driest champagne with an invigorating twist of lemon, mixed with snow and sipped at high altitude. Very refreshing, extremely light to the point of vanishing. The perfect summer scent for either gender. Cons: It has no staying power on me whatsoever; I have to spray it on my clothes to get any lasting fragrance. It is also the only fragrance ever to cause my sinuses to completely seize up, as though I'd inhaled horseradish. But the scent is worth the occasional inconvenience.

Ytsejam's avatar

Touch for Men by Burberry

For me, i call this stuff "Instant Migraine in a bottle".

Francois Blais's avatar

L'Occitan by L'Occitane

Wow!
    What a great lavender woody scent this one is!
    You can think of it as Burberry Touch light, to give you an idea.
    But Eau de l'Occitan is less musky, and features lavender instead of violet. It's also spicier, with a nice pepper touch.
    Stays close to the wearer, but smells so good, if you like lavender, of course!
    Smells very natural too.

bakhmet's avatar

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Another winner from Guerlain. Do not judge on first spray, but let it sit for at least a few minutes and you will smell why it can be so popular. Dry, yet slightly sweet, not cloying (unless you are judging on the first spray up the nose), very fresh but in a "fresh linens out of the dryer" kind of way - so very warm. This is perfect for the coming days of fall and winter. I would not have a problem wearing this to the office, or at home, or out to dinner. I can see this fragrance on many different types of guys, so it's adaptable, but I wouldn't go too young. I'm not talking age, but maturity. That said, it doesn't exactly scream old fogey either.

Banana Republic Classic by Banana Republic

Banana Republic Classic has always been in my wardorbe of fragrances. It is soapy, citrusy, and sweetly green, but never over-powering or over-done. Somehow, it reminds me of when my famliy summered in Maine-- like a park that was nearby our house. It reminds me of walking up the trail, of the rocky shore covered in dark green trees, of cold dark water crashing below. Hmph? WARINING: Idividual results may vary :)

Davidoff by Davidoff

Well I am in the minority on this one. I got a sample of Davidoff recently from somewhere, and I tried it on a whim. I found it to be subtle and classic. I did not find it musty, though I do think it lacks the overly sweet/ozone or pungent woods found in so many modern scents. I bet the orris and carnation turns a lot of guys off. I would describe Davidoff as smooth and classic with a refined tobacco/leather smell. Should you ever find yourself wearing a le smoking and sipping sherry at an English manor, Davidoff would be a perfect partner. Love it!

Latitude Longitude by Nautica

I usually detest fragrances like Latitude Longitude because they are too much like each other and overly marketed and available. However, there is some note in this one that pulled me, like a deja vu or something. It may also have been the model in the ad's resemblance to my own boyfriend. I think I like the nutmeg and corriander. Anyways, I really don't ever wear it, but have small bottle for the occasional sniff.

Minotaure by Paloma Picasso

Minotaure got me through many a high school dates, and I should perhaps pick up another bottler to try again! It always smelled like amber and oranges to me, and quite sexy. I remember it being very well-rounded, warm, and popular with the ladies. It smelled somewhat like Nicole Miller Man or maybe even the Nautica Competion/Xeryus Rouge duo-- it is a bit sweet and fruity.

Aqua Motu / Motu by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

I have been wearing Motu for years, and love it. I do not like the reformulation of Aqua Motu as much as the original, but still enjoy the scent. Motu is a marine scent that differs from all the others in that it is more "salty and windy" than it is sweet and citrusy. It also has a spicey warmth to it which I liken to sun-warmed skin and sand. I find the pepper ( I get more cinnamon in the new version) can overpower on somedays. Overall, Most people tell me they love it or hate it which suits me fine. I love it, it's like a groggy afternoon on the beaches of the Cote d'Azur.

Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain

This is a newer addition to my fragrance wardrobe, and it continues to grow on me. Mouchoir de Monsieur is my gentlemanly fragrance for those rare occasions I wish to come off as regal, sophisticated, and smoothly mannered. More often than not, I wear Mouchoir when I interview applicants for work-- I think it has a very expensive and somewhat intimidating smell to it that suits my wicked interview style. I liken the smell to a men's Chanel No. 5, but more subtle. It is masculine, but smells feminine in that "older" way.

Paul Smith for Men by Paul Smith

Oh how I cried that Paul Smith Men disappointed me! It was just too boring and ubiquitous for my taste. I probably wear more Paul Smith than any other brand of clothing (by the way-- Mr. Smith should be given credit for the colored, striped-shirt trend that has over run this country in the past few years-- he has been doing it far longer, shame to see it go sour through the masses). Anyway, Paul Smith is classic Saville Row tailoring and cuts with rock n' roll colors, fabrics, and patterns thrown in. I was bummed to find his fragrance did not live up to this.

S-Perfume v1.0 by S-Perfume

Hee, hee- those with weak stomachs may want to stop reading here, as there are two gross (kinda) parts to this review. I bought the S-Perfume when it first came out. It received TONS of p.r. in the magazines and I was intrigued. I really sorta liked it, it was clean and very musky on me-- sometimes a bit too floral for my taste, though. There is definitely a seamen/bleach note to the opening which my kinky sensibilities really liked. (gross part #1) I was receiving lots of compliments on the fragrance, mainly from women, when one day I ran into my mom at a restaurant for lunch(true story). Turns out she just LOVED my new cologne.(gross part #2) My mind wandered at this point and I have not worn S-Perfume since.

evilrix's avatar

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

I like this and I don't know why. It is a lot harsher than the type of fragrances I usually go for. I generally prefer fruitier blends, however the woody harshness of this just works although I'm not convinced it should. I find the EDT a bit too much so I prefer the splash-on. I leaves my face feeling fresh and smelling great.

Goddess_Dreams's avatar

Kenneth Cole New York Women by Kenneth Cole

I actually do like Kenneth Cole New York a lot! The moment I sprayed it on I got compliments from my husband who is very open when it comes to his likes and dislikes... So this was an instant purchase on the spot! With notes of: top - zesty mandarin, black currant; middle - spicy white cardamom, jasmine and cinnamon bark; base - red mahogany, and leather... I can honestly say that I expected a far more exuberant and vocal scent... not that I would say that KC New York is restrained in any way, on the contrary Kenneth Cole New York is buttery and dreamy and very liberated... and yes I agree with those who say that it would fit well within any work-environment... But somehow I feel like a cat lying in the sun whenever I wear it; calm and relaxed and deliciously satisfied... perhaps a little poetic, perhaps a little bit more liberated then usual, more boundless and more open... but perhaps it's all just my imagination...

25 October, 2005 (Last Edited: 17 August, 2006)

Goddess_Dreams's avatar

Kenneth Cole New York Men by Kenneth Cole

Kenneth Cole NY for men is great! I find that the scent both lasts long and wears so wonderfully. For some reason at times it reminds me of Fendi for ladies... Not totally there is just something that is reminiscent of it. Perhaps it's the warmth of both of the fragrances that does it for me... perhaps it's the woods in both of them that bring that feeling out for me... But I love Kenneth Cole NY! Then again I might be biased since I love the scent of lavender in most men's fragrances.

ilnaso's avatar

DKNY Be Delicious Men by Donna Karan

Recently purchased this scent after an initial hatred of it. I found it to be too citrus/fruit at first smell but gave it a second chance after smelling the incredible dry-down that is left. The heavenly chocolate/coffee/woods dry-down is worth the initial bizzare smell of grapefruit.

LoneFish's avatar

China Rose by Floris

This perfume comes on a little too strong for my taste, but after a few minutes it mellows out into a really beautiful rose scent -- soft and rich and very very comforting.

Lyman's avatar

Sandalwood Cologne by Geo F Trumper

It starts out strong and masculine. Initially, it reminded me of the smell of leather, which is a very pleasant scent, but not really what I want my skin to smell like. But Sandalwood tones down quickly to something much more subtle and satisfying. Still strong and mausculine, but more quietly strong and masculine. And, yes, as others have pointed out, it's long lasting.

Comme des Garçons Parfum by Comme des Garçons

The Baron de Charlus once told me: 'O Christmas spices, flowers andd herbs! O assault on the nasal passages! O Comme des Garcons eau de parfum, gigantic whiffery, powerful stiffery, herbal biffery! In truth, as it softens, lessens and develops on the skin, it achieves a kinder and more wearable ambience - a sort of frail, Elizabethan beauty.'

L'Eau de Gouverneur / L'Homme by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

The Baron de Charlus once told me: 'I recall the time when I was a house guest at the residence of the Governor of French West Equatorial Africa (well, actually, it was little more than a shack in a jungle clearing). The year was 1912, I believe, and he gave me (since I was his only guest for years) a bottle of Comptoir Sud Pacifique's L'Eau du Gouverneur.
    "You know, de Charlus," spluttered Monsieur le Gouverneur in desperation, "I believe I should go mad in this god-forsaken spot if it wasn't for my brandy, my cigars, and my L'Eau du Gouverneur! How I long to be back in France!" "Indeed, my dear sir," I responded, I do appreciate your predicament. Here we are in this barely adequate patch of civilization, far from the salons of Paris, forlornly dressing for dinner while the jungle encroaches. Yet, as you say, let us rejoice that this somewhat lugubrious situation is redeemed by the poetic glories of L'Eau du Gouverneur: its warm, mysterious spices are redolent with all the distinction and futility, grandeur and cruelty, romance and sorrow of the Empire's grab at the Tropics!"'

Cool Water by Davidoff

The Baron de Charlus once told me: 'Hey, dude, that's Cool Water you're wearing! ... What the heck is G.I.T.? ... Prince Charles? ...Grumptious ...Flumptious ... Stop talking like a jerk! ... What the hey! ...Where the D? ...Tell me you're kidding me! ...Ah, yer fadder's mustache! ...Like a pigeon's muddy dream!'
    I could make little sense of his ramblings and assumed that he had either been possessed by the ghost of a deceased American shoe salesman or had been imbibing too much absinthe - possible both.

Jardin du Nil by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

The Baron de Charlus once told me: 'Next to the kitchen condiment aroma of Baime and the armpit-effusions of Route du Vetiver, Jardin du Nil is my least favourite of Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier's otherwise excellent array of masculine fragrances. Why? I can tell you quite precisely. Jardin du Nil has a strange opening that manages simultaneously to be sweet and inviting and rotten and offensive. It contains a distinct odour of mouldering peaches, reinforced, I fear, by a hint of parmesan cheese - somewhat akin to the sweet, clinging, slightly fungoid sweat of certain body odours. As it softens and develops and the ingredients attain more of a balance, it definitely improves - but not greatly until the very end. When you consider the sublime heights to which MPG's male fragrances sometimes ascend (Eau de Iles, Eau pour le Jeune Homme, Ambre Precieux, Racine) and the truly pleasant lower slopes which most of its fragrances occupy (Centaure, Garrigue, Secret Melange, Iris Bleu Gris, Santal Noble and Parfum d'Habit), it rather puts Jardin du Nil in perspective, along with Baime and Route du Vetiver. One can still admire the bold experimentation and unique aroma of these latter three scents. One can still ascribe to each a definitive atmosphere: poetry of the pot (Baime), poetry of the earthy gutter (Route du Vetiver), poetry of sweat and perfume clinging to unwashed sheets (Jardin du Nil). But do you really wish to go there? Not I, messieurs.'

No. 88 by Czech & Speake

The Baron de Charlus once told me: 'I recall the time when I was a house guest at the country estate of Ozzie Osborne (or Osbert as I insisted on calling him for reasons of decorum). He gave us each a bottle of Czech & Speake No. 88.
    "De Charlus, you old c***," croaked the poete maudit of rock music turned national treasure, "what the f*** do you think of this f****** fragrance? Is it good shit, bad shit, or indifferent?" "My dear Osbert," I responded, "what we have here is poetry of the coffin laced with infinite solitude and emptiness. It would not be erroneous to describe it as embodying a metaphysical menace. You have to admire its evocative qualities, this strange, left-handed cousin of Messe de Minuit, itself a fairly odd and deathly scent. Personally I would shudder to wear either. I also feel that it is totally inappropriate for your good self. Given your curious combination of histrionics, vagueness and blokeishness, I feel you would be far better suited by a combination of Joop, Latitude Longitude and Marbert Man. Then you would smell like a proper f****** c***."
    My host, I fear, was distinctly unimpressed by judgement and proceeded to unleash on me his whole menagerie: wife, cats, dogs, children, musicians and bats out of hell.'

Odeur 71 by Comme des Garçons

The Baron de Charlus once told me: 'Comme des Garcons Odeur 71? A merely passable, undistinguished modern scent, reflecting ozone and ordinariness. A somewhat boring and watery work, wholly generic, in spite of its eccentric pretensions and strange list of ingredients: dust on light bulb, typewriter ribbon, dewdrop on nose, bleach on fingernail or whatever.'

Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons

Visiting my friend Marcel on his sick bed again the other day, I brought him a gift of Comme des Garcons 2 Man. On application, a smile of quiet pleasure stole over his pale lips. 'Ah, mon cher Nitram,' he whispered, 'what deep and evocative woods! Sensation-memory immediately transports my whole being back to an afternoon in my youth when I sat with my first love Gilberte in an old wooden summer house near Paris. It had exactly the same smell. How infinitely poetic yet wearable this scent is! Thank you, cher Nitram, for introducing me to this exquisite and poignant fragrance!'

Aramis by Aramis

I've always considered Aramis elixir in a bottle.That is how wonderful it is.It is my favorite and has been ever since I experienced it 20 years ago.I was just smitten then and I still am today.It really has a dominant Juniper berry accord to my nose.I am baffled how many extremely knowledgeable Basenoters will totally diss this masterpiece and then turn around and praise the virtues of A*men or Bulgari Black.This juice is second to none!!

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

Eau Sauvage is a sparkling citrus that has become a classic.Wonderful grapefruit.However it has serious longevity issues and virtually no sillage.Hence,I recommend a more modern interpretation of this,Boucheron pour homme.

Halston Z-14 by Halston

I have been wearing Z-14 now for over 10 years.I love it.I have read it has pimento berries as one its central notes.Perhaps this is what I smell along with the tobacco and citrus.It is a complex,dark masterpiece and is decidedly masculine.If you exclusively like sugar bombs like Hanae Mori and L'Instant then this probably isn't the juice for you.Speaking for myself,however,this is in my top ten and my wardrobe will never be without it.