Fragrance Reviews from October 2005

tigrushka's avatar

Finland Finland

Sublime by Jean Patou

Sublime is one of those scents you can always count on, a scent that never lets you down, that is always a pleasure to wear. The bright yellow box and gold stopper speak of its sunny radiance and warm glow.

Sublime suits any mood or occasion, it's such a timeless beauty that it's hard to believe it was launched in the early Nineties, since it oozes tradition and old world charm. The top notes are bright, sunny mandarin and orange blossom, heart notes the traditional floral notes: rose and jasmine with the woody background of vetiver, sandalwood and oakmoss, and base notes rich, sensual amber and vanilla.

Don't get fooled by its elegant ladylike appearance: while Sublime lady certainly isn't a tramp, she's nevertheless one foxy lady! The lucky man who gets to slow dance with you will remember the way you smelled to his dying day.

tigrushka's avatar

Finland Finland

Ormonde Woman by Ormonde Jayne

Ormonde is very much a scent of its own, I know no smell-a-likes. This is probably due to the use of black hemlock, a note no other fragrance has.

Ormonde is a cool, wet, mysterious dark fragrance with grass oil, alluring jasmine and a velvety touch of violets. If it were a colour, it would be either almost black green or almost black violet.

Ormonde reminds me of a nightime forest or a swamp, the mood is one out of a Gothic fairytale. The drydown is an unforgettable mixture of murky green vetiver, cedar and sandalwood notes melting into smoothest amber.

Euphoria by Calvin Klein

Calvin Klein fragrances have never appealed to me, and Euphoria is no exception. To me it smells like a combination of Obsession and Cinema, and it's not as striking as Obsession or as bad as Cinema. This smells quite nice on the paper test strip, but on my skin it's just boring.

Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana

*Updated review* Light Blue is an energetic, positive, lovely fragrance that manages to be uplifting, fresh, and sexy at the same time. It works well in hot weather, but it's a perfect pick-me-up on a cold gloomy day. Oddly, it starts out with heavy cedar notes on my skin and seems to get more apply and citrusy as the day goes on. When I wear it, I continually get whiffs of something that smells fantastic, and then I smile, because I realize it's me! Love it!

25 October, 2005 (Last Edited: 01st November, 2007)

Blue by Ralph Lauren

I fall for with nearly all Ralph Lauren fragrances. I wore Lauren in college, Safari in my 20s, Romance in my 30s, and now Blue (not quite 40). I didn't think any fragrance could top the wearability and lovliness of these earlier Ralph Lauren fragrances, but Blue has managed to do just this. It's utterly beautiful; flowery, feminine, watery, and cool, and it reminds me of the Pacific Ocean on a crisp spring evening. This is my most-worn fragrance right now, as it seems to suit all moods and all weather. I love, love this fragrance.

Orange Blossom by Jo Malone

Jo Malone Orange Blossom is one of the most beautiful things I've ever smelled. It smells like an orange grove on a warm night with just ripened orange blossom flowers and hints of sultry jasmine. This is perfect to lift my spirits and I love it in all seasons. It makes me feel like I can live the romantic, carefree days of summer all the time.

DKNY Be Delicious by Donna Karan

I'm definitely not a fan of most apple fragrances, but Be Delicious is an exception. When I smelled it on the test strip it reminded me of shampoo, but on my skin this is a really wearable, refreshing, and stylish fragrance. I'm going to purchase this one! I love the bottle, too.

Eau des Merveilles by Hermès

This smells great! At first it smells citrusy and fresh, and the deep woody drydown keeps me maniacally sniffing myself. This fragrance is a mood elevator, and it's unique. I swear I smell cinnamon in this and something about it reminds me a little of Dior Addict. It doesn't smell like Dior Addict though, there's just a note that my skin brings out that's common to Addict and Merveilles. This would be quite nice on a man or a woman, but because I know it as a scent I wear I don't think it would smell particularly masculine to me. It's not particularly feminine either, which is part of its appeal. If I hadn't blown my budget on Un Jardin Sur le Nil I'd buy this immediately. But I'm definitely saving up for this unusual "water of wonders."

Blu Notte by Bulgari

This is a strikingly attractive fragrance. It's rich and lovely but slightly playful. My sons say it smells like "candy" because their little boys noses must automatically focus on the chocolate notes; but the ginger and vodka make this pack one sexy punch! I love Chanel Allure and Chance but Blv Notte has topped both of them with overall compliments and the number of times I reach for it. I love it year-round.

Lea by Lea St Barth

Lea is certainly a pretty fragrance, but it's utterly boring on my skin. It doesn't create any particular mood but it is one of the nicest vanilla fragrances I've owned. I prefer La Maison de la Vanilles, though, when I have vanilla cravings as their Bourbon Vanilla drydown is much more appealing to me than the kitchen vanilla extract smell of Lea. Lea smells like pure vanilla extract mixed with pure almond extract; definitely a nice smell, but not one I want to wear.

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

This is incredibly clean, fresh, and uplifting and just radiates intense garden smells. A certain note in this smells quite a bit like lime in the beginning but I definitely notice the fabulous mango notes, too. I know this is supposed to be unisex, but I do describe this fragrance as "pretty." It's very floral on my skin; albeit not sweet. Un Jardin sur le Nil is exotic and refreshing; the perfect fragrance to cheer you up on a rainy day. It makes me want very much to visit a garden overlookikng the Nile.

Trasker's avatar

Nemo by Cacharel

Got this in a swap and I would say it is destined to be one of my favorite autumn/winter fragrances. I'm not usually a big fan of woods but the fresh start to this tempers any wood on the drydown and eases into something very cozy and warm for the rest of the day. Long lasting.

Twitchly's avatar

Blu Notte by Bulgari

No idea why Sephora calls this a water fragrance. I get warmth, ginger -- especially initially -- mixed with just a whisper of cocoa. While I don't smell the vodka notes, they may be what keeps this slightly sweet fragrance from becoming cloying. It's a lullaby in a bottle, a cozy fragrance for long winter nights.

deaconford's avatar

Paris Hilton for Men by Paris Hilton

personally i think it's ok. These stars and models are really stepping up their game in the fragrance industry. Namely that last one Brittany Spears put out for women is the most intoxicating thing iv'e ever smelled for a women, oh i'm sorry were talking about Paris Hilton for a man right?

Diane's avatar

À Bientot by Lenthéric

I only barely remember this fragrance. It is my mother's favorite. I was wondering if any members out there have any they would like to sell to me so I could surprise my mother with it for Christmas. Thank you

Goddess_Dreams's avatar

Aromatics Elixir by Clinique

It took a re-release of it for me to notice it... But boy am I glad I have!!! This has been introduced in 1971, a few years before I was even born, and yet until yesterday I have not had the pleasure of encountering it. So glad they did the Limited Edition Bottle and the advertisement with the sniff strip in the Flare Magazine this month! Many years ago I received Happy as a birthday gift and did not think too much of it, granted it was pleasant enough in a fresh kind of way, it did not have that memorable anything about it that; that something that would make you fall in love with it. AROMATIC ELIXIR on the other hand, well that is a different story! So earthy and soothing, and yet quite feminine and provocative at the same time. Sort of reminds me of what Mother-Earth would smell like if she walked the earth with the rest of us... but the again maybe Gaia is in all of us who find ourselves drawn to this scent.. maybe we walk the earth for her... Ohh anyway... I just love this fragrance and for me that is so enough to have it introduced into my fragrance wardrobe as a very special scent!

Goddess_Dreams's avatar

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

Lolita, of course, an interesting name for this fragrance. And so, like it's name, this fragrance too, explores the femininity of a "young"/"youthful". Having said this I don't necessarily think that this is either a "young" or "youthful" scent, it is rather reminiscent of the sweet exploration into ones sexuality/femininity/maturing into a woman... something reminiscent of 'awakening desire' in a young woman. Lolita is of course both inviting and deliciously playful... Lolita is in my opinion slightly similar to Chopard's Wish, but I do like Wish quite better... However, where the true winnings with this scent lies as far as I'm concerned is in the bottle itself. The bottle too is reminiscent of the 'sinfulness' of Eve - hence the apple... but this apple of course is far more fairy-like and more innocent and dreamy looking! Who could ever resist?

howardbweiner's avatar

Euphoria by Calvin Klein

Though the ingredients seem quirky and exotic, in combination this is not an original fragrance. I smell a lot of "Angel" in it; especially in its drydown. The bottle is indeed ludicrous. If you don't get the symbolism it's your loss.

howardbweiner's avatar

Vol de Nuit by Guerlain

Once experienced, Vol de Nuit cannot be forgotten or mistaken for another fragrance. Layer upon layer of memories. Kaliedoscopic. Ancient. Feral. Powerful. Evocative. Dangerous.

's avatar

Fragile by Jean Paul Gaultier

Fragile, to me, is a *modern* tuberose fragrance -- a fruity sweet tuberose, or I could say a modern spicy floral. It opens, to my nose, with a nice, light tuberose scent and juicy, sweet fruit and a little bit... just a tiny bit... of bitter green, followed pretty quickly by peppery spicyness and then a good hit of wood and musk. I think it's both heart-heavy and base-heavy, and I'd like to say that serves to temper the tuberose and add interest, but really it strikes me more (at times) as competing with the tuberose and, finally, dominating.

lefay's avatar

À la Nuit by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Just received a sample of this fragrance. The top note is intoxicating jasmine; not cloying, but like the living flower. I found it to be a wonderful mood lifter. It melts down to a benzoin/soft musk accord that stays very close to the skin. This doesn't have the staying power, complexity, or depth of most Serge Lutens fragrances but is sparkling enough for summer and penetrating enough (at least right after application) for winter. One of the nicer jasmine-based scents.

Lyman's avatar

Ormonde Man by Ormonde Jayne

This reminds me, in a way, of Bulgari pour Homme. An absolutely wonderful--WONDERFUL--scent, but it's not long lasting. Or rather, it is at first distinct, but then quickly becomes just a hint. It's still there, but you really have to hunt for it in order to smell it. If Ormonde were only just a little less demure, it might be my all-time favorite.

mrliberfarb's avatar

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Really hard to find, but one of the few fragrances I have ever put on that made any girl horny just by sniffing it.

pibi's avatar

Flowerbomb by Viktor & Rolf

1980s-aggressive and rather sickly...This is a no go for me!

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Yucch!! Too sweet. Too feminine. too overpowering. Cloying would be an apt description. Something in it repulses me. Although sometimes sweet/vanilla can be done well (Marc Jacobs), this has something that just misses the mark.

Photo by Lagerfeld

This might not be the hottest cologne of the moment, but it has always been a very sexy scent, almost smoky, and has a great warmth in its drydown that is perfect for winter. The lavender and coriander give it a nice zing for the first hour or so. Then comes the warmth. the smell reminds me of Paris (the city, not the perfume) - I don't know if people there are wearing this, but for some reason, I always think I'm smelling this cologne all over when I visit Paris.

Pure Vetiver by Azzaro

Technically speaking, this is not "pure" vetiver, but it is delicious. I sniffed real vetiver oil and then this, and found that it has a real vetiver scent, but also there is a subtle powdery element (carnation), plus a bright floral element (geranium), as well as an ocean note added. I have received many compliments on ths one - it was a great dry fragrance to wear on hot summer days, both for the office and for evening. I think this is my new summer staple. Oh, and it lasts a long time on me, even on hot days.

Angel Schlesser Homme by Angel Schlesser

Thumbs way up. I just bought this in London - I was going to pick one cologne that is not available in the US. After trying almost every new fragrance out there, and realizing that almost everything smells the same, this is the one that stuck out from the crowd. Imagine what you'd get if you combined Acqua di Gio with Ted Baker's Skinwear. Very strong scent of pine first, followed by a classy dry down of violet and maybe cedar. Starts with a sudden fresh burst, and stays with a woody, violet finish. Been smelling myself all day since I started to wear it. Can't stand those vanilla-based scents and this is the antithesis to them - fresh, but not in a tired "cool water" way. A Plus!!

Wall Street by Bond No. 9

By far my favorite cologne EVER! Smells like Creed's Erolfa, but more pungent and better formed. Has incredible staying power. The only cologne I have ever worn that has caused strangers, both men and women, to ask what I was wearing. Repeatedly. A good scent for special occasions and goes well with formal wear. Very costly, but price is offset by very positive reaction by all who smell it. Only have a couple of samples, but this goes right onto my X-mas list!

TinselX's avatar

Organza Indécence by Givenchy

To me, this is a very, very dark and spicy vanilla scent. It's also very, very strong. I spray it in the air and then do a "walk-through", so as not to saturate myself. I like it...don't love it.