Fragrance Reviews from October 2005

Informer's avatar

Casran by Chopard

It's a pretty great scent, but I definately agree with that its basically linear. I'm mainly picking up cherries and wood when I wear it, but that's not a bad thing. Definately good for the cooler weather, and perhaps more so if you're wearing a blazer.

Joshaugustt's avatar

Brooksfield Men by Brooksfield

THIS IS A WONDERFUL UNDISCOVERED SCENT. IT'S UNIQUELY FRESH AND YET VERY WARM AT THE SAME TIME. IT'S THE KIND OF SCENT THAT YOU CAN WEAR ANYWHERE AND ANY TIME OF THE YEAR. THIS IS A REAL FIND.

misterbowles's avatar

Solo Loewe by Loewe

I recently discovered this fragrance. It fits perfectly into the "clean and classy act" category that I love so much - scents like Mark Birley, Bvlgari pH, Boucheron pH, Creed MI, the original Zegna, Patou Voyageur, and the sublime Jo Malone 154.

Quarry's avatar

Un Lys by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

The illusive lilac scent can truly be found in this juice. Jessica McClintock #3 comes nowhere close (dominated by lily-of-the-valley rather than the lilac it claims to represent). Un Lys is creamy soft, but a bit simple. I want to play with layering it. It's already sweet enough, so a pinch of something green or ... hmmm?

Quarry's avatar

Index Cucumber Baie by Fresh

THEE BEST SCENT FOR SCORCHING HOT DAYS. There is the initial cuke blast, which shortly mellows to something akin to a soft floral that lingers a long time right next to the skin. Cooling, refreshing. My favorite of the Fresh line. Can layer with other florals.

sherlockofsheff's avatar

Touch for Men by Burberry

This is the WORST fragrange I have ever smelled. It smells like parma violets, and when I have brought myself to wear it, it has given me a headache and made me feel sick

Candie's Men by Candie's

A very delightful scent arousing the watermelon patch and is sugary nice. Imagination of sweet memories will evoke. Maybe your first love wet kisses remeinist. Or sharing a fruity gummi worm with that sexy someone. Love to remember those sweet times.

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

Forever never seemed heard in an Eternity, As passion never fades in timeless scent, Even as the hands of time relentlessly never bent. Time moves on yet I stand still, My memories fade left with nothing said, As silent words shape whole a womans head...

Nightflight by Joop!

Imagine a star filled sky, Lift weightless arms to nightflight high, Scent of screaming passion as night falls upon day, I dark angel wing my love to my dreams in milky way.

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

smells kind of like some type of leather, not in my must have list but close. I wouldnt mind having it but if I had to buy it compared to the other new fragrances I dont really know, definatly one to consider.

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

At first, I'd disliked A*Men. But over time, after experiencing several scents with edible notes (e.g. Rochas Man, Hanae Mori, etc.), I found this scent to be very potent and memorable. Powdery, chocolatey, deeply packed with incense, and long-lasting. It is an acquired-taste fragrance for sure. I would highly recommend getting the portable dispenser with the gazillion refill tubes...a great way to recharge the scent without bulging your pockets. :)

Casual Friday by Escada

Decent fragrance with edible notes, reminiscent of Yohji, Rochas Man, Hanae Mori, A*Men, and the like. It is rich, exuding quite an air like being in a coffee shop carrying chocolates in it. Hard to find in kiosks nowadays, but not impossible. Give it a try if you like those delicious scents listed before. :-)

Chrome by Azzaro

At first, I didn't find this fragrance to be anything special. But maybe my tastes have changed over time, as I really like the warm, spicy masculine quality of this scent. Women seem to like it, and it isn't too common to be boring. I don't find Chrome to be very citrus compared to others scents; but that's not necessarily a bad thing. ;)

Dune pour Homme by Christian Dior

It's not too bad. A lot of fig in this one, if that's your thing. I don't find it to be very special, although I would see Dune fitting in nicely while walking along a beach or boardwalk in the summer. It is coastal in quality, but missing something; perhaps its subtilty was deliberate.

Essenza di Zegna by Ermenegildo Zegna

Fresh, woody, classically-Italian scent. Not nearly as sharp as the "intense" version of this scent, but it gets the job done. Clean and pleasant, not unpredictable and just plain nice to wear.

Escada Homme by Escada

Delightful, warm, powdery, and powerful scent from Escada. I like it on me or on others, and I receive compliments on this one all the time! I would describe the powdery quality to be tempered by a slightly bitter, sour note that is uniqueand classic, not at all like the vicious smack-face colognes of the 80's. Test it first, then decide, IMO.

Giorgio for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

Yup, went ahead and plunked down $100 for a 2.5oz bottle on e-bay. It's a very classic, spicy, masculine scent that is suitable for formal occasions (or anywhere you'd like to smell classy). I wear it sparingly, but never regret buying it. I wasn't as into scents back in the 80's, so I haven't gotten burnt out on this one...yet. :)

Helmut Lang Eau de Cologne by Helmut Lang

A sophisticated, fairly simple, and pleasantly predictable fragrance. It is a great casual or even formal scent. I like its frankinscense-like quality, and it is not in-your-face like, say, Cuiron. Smooth, reliable, and different.

Kiton Napoli by Kiton

Managed to grab a bottle of this very recently. Hard puppy to find! It is different than Kiton Men, for one; it has a fresh, mildly sweet and musky quality which I like a lot. It reminds me of Molto Smalto, in its warmth and smooth finish. Try getting this one if you can, if not for how hard it is to get this now. ;-)

L'Anarchiste by Caron

Well....the bottle looks great! The scent itself makes me scratch my head. Depending on a million factors, perhaps (i.e. humidity, my skin chemistry, environmental odors, temperature, relative newness of the fragrance, etc. etc.), it either strikes me as weird or not too bad or great. It *looks* like it should be along the lines of, say, Nicole Miller (which does a better job of using orange notes), but it never quite gets and stays there. Haven't concluded anything about this one. :-o

Number 3 / Le 3me Homme / The Third Man by Caron

Not a bad scent. It is multi-layered, starting out very sweet (similar to Roma Uomo), but changing after some time into a spicier, evening-appropriate quality. The woody notes seem to hide until this point of change, and it's almost an entirely different scent (at least on my skin). Anyhow, it's a decent fragrance, having a classic quality to it and definitely different than the average go-to scents nowadays.

Molto Smalto by Francesco Smalto

Tremendous scent! Sleek, sophisticated bottle hides a really pleasant scent within: Warm, smooth, mildly sweet, slightly woody and spicy, & moderately musky, with somewhat of a classic feel to it (it is from 1992, after all :^)). Different than the Francesco Smalto signature scent, which is ok but not special like this one. Grab it if you see it!!

Odeur 71 by Comme des Garçons

Interesting!! At first, I was quite hesitant to try this one out, given its eclectic notes (and a bad impression of CdG2). However, despite the funky unconventional notes, this one is a pleasant, warm, woody scent that is full of complexity and character. It does resemble that ozone smell one smells as the rain first hits the ground; how did they figure that out? :-) Highly recommended among the experimental scents out there.

Paul Smith for Men by Paul Smith

Very similar to Fahrenheit. But it does stand out on its own merits with a tangier quality and a bit more toned down that the former. Fresh and distinctive. Elicits compliments whenever I wear it. More character than the "Extreme" version, which I just can't get into.

Salvatore Ferragamo pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

Tangy, masculine scent that stands out from the usual suspects of fragrances out there. It can be a bit too sharp for some, especially over time; but otherwise, it is a rich, fruity, predictably citrus scent that isn't like the typical citrus scents. The only other scent I find which is close to this one is Lalique Equus, which is awesome in its own right. Check this one out!

Silver Light by Escada

Definitely a relative of the original, bold Escada pour Homme; this one is somewhat milder, a bit fresher and more watery than the predecessor. Although I find the scent to be very pleasant and calming for me, I haven't any idea of how others react to this one as of yet. Thumbs up nonetheless. :^)

Touch for Men by Burberry

Strange, unique scent that I can't totally dislike. It hints of the typicaly, oriental scents out there, but it doesn't stay sweet for long. It is airy, musky, a bit unpredictable, and definitely sticks out! I am a big fan of the Burberry line, and this one fits in ok.

VIP for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

Sophisticated, heady fragrance that screams of the 80's! It is not an ordinary scent by any means; the "extraordinary" label for VIP fits. The miniature is far easier to find than the big bottles...except on e-bay, asking some outlandish price$.

Lacoste pour Homme by Lacoste

Not a particularly fabulous scent, but not bad at all. It is very, very reminiscent of Boss #6, but a bit more subdued and low-key. The vanilla note is something I'd never get sick of, and for anyone wanting a shy vanilla musk scent, this is it.

Eau de Paco Rabanne pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

A real gem of a warm-weather scent! I find a slight resemblance between this one and Insense Ultramarine/Kenzo Pour Homme, but it is more subtle and perhaps not as sharp. It bears little resemblance to the original, powerful Paco Rabanne pour Homme, which I am reluctant to wear; this one is refreshing and has a pleasant, watery vibe to it. :-)