Fragrance Reviews from October 2005

incedal's avatar

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

Its ok, but nothing special, way overrated, and drydown gave me a headache.

Joel_Cairo's avatar

Blu Notte pour Homme by Bulgari

maybe this is just my body chemistry here (the unanimous applause suggests so..) but i found it absolutely wretched... after twenty minutes, it smelled almost exactly like Nag Champa on me. am i crazy?

Markus's avatar

Tuscany / Etruscan by Aramis

Un'edt maschile forte di bergamotto e con un fondo tabaccoso ed amaro, io l'ho avuto in flacone splash, (non piu' in commercio, ora solo vaporizzatore), e debbo dire che metterla al mattino a piene mani era un piacere!

Ha avuto un certo successo nella seconda meta' degli anni '80 e primi '90, poi il suo successo si e' fortemente ridimensionato, pur rimanendo fortunatamente in produzione.

C'e' una variante "Forte", che pero' in'Italia non e' piu' in commercio.
    Marku74 (Italy)

MARKUS74's avatar

Antaeus by Chanel

Un "must" per quanto rigurada la fragranza maschile (decisamente maschile!) speziata e di pelle, tipica degli edt primi anni '80.

Fortunatamente ancora in produzione, anche se e' stata ridimensionata la linea-uomo, ad ogni modo la Chanel ha avuto ancora l'accortezza di venderlo in stillagocce (ormai bandito da tutte le case profumiere) oltre che spray.

Purtroppo passato un po' di moda ultimamente...riscopritelo!

Marku74 (Italy)

MARKUS74's avatar

Blend 30 by Dunhill

Ottimo edt "verde":
    fresco e speziato allo stesso qual tempo, ricorda un po' il Paco Rabanne pour homme.
    La storia di questa edt, purtroppo e' breve: uscita nel 1978 e nella meta' degli '80 era gia' fuori produzione...un peccato!, forse non e' stato un gran siccusso, ad ogni modo molti lo rimpiangono...

Ricordo che con la stessa fragranza nel 1979 si pubblicizzava tutta una linea:
    l'after shave, la schiuma da barba spray, i deodoranti spray & stick ed il sapone.

Markus (Italy)

Ronald's avatar

Alegria Hombre by Adolfo Dominguez

Bears a striking similarity to Angel Schlesser Homme. It's sort of aquatic mixed with some kind of "starch" note (rice?, potato?, bread?). Not bad, it's quite light and inoffensive, but nothing special - Schlesser does the same thing better in my opinion.

Ronald's avatar

Tommy Summer Cologne 2005 by Tommy Hilfiger

Obviously directed to the under-35 market. Fine for very casual daytime wear. Smells almost exactly like L'eau par Kenzo for women, but with some added basenotes. Some might find it a bit on the feminine side. It's light, invigorating, and has decent staying power.

Sandalwood's avatar

Santal by Fragonard

A great and original sandalwood. It took me about three wearings to get to love it. Althought I would have wanted that the sandalwood were more prominent here.
    I would describe it as a waned sandalwood lying over a rich blend of amber/tobacco. Súper long lasting.

scmcg's avatar

Marrakesh Tales by Mäurer & Wirtz

My first fragrance ever! I got curious due to the tv-advertisment. The first time in my life I got interested in a perfume. When I frist smelled it, the very unconventional fragrance (from my unexperienced point of view shocked me a little.
    However, I could not forget this fragrance, simply because I liked it.
    Unfortunately the production discontinued (though I still have an unopend bottle). But Mäurer & Wirtz released a new fragrance in 2005 (Fishbone Men), which seems to be identical to Marrakesh Tales. :o)

scorpio's avatar

Magnetism for Men by Escada

I'm really trying to understand why this scent is highly rated among Basenoter's, but I just can't get it. Unique? Probably. But it just smells bad!

Desire for a Man by Dunhill

Ah, to desire Desire. I've had this fragrance for a few years now, and although the collection, and my nose, has grown quite fond of the niche offerings, I do reach for Desire every once in a while just to see how far my tastes have progressed. Not a bad scent at all, it's one of those few that have an apple note, though the patchouli takes over well into the dry-down. Somewhat reminscent of Mesmorize by Avon, I believe. I'm sure Desire can be found for a decent price on the internet which would place it in the bargain-bin purchase. Not a must-own by any means, but not the red-headed stepchild either.

Havana by Aramis

Havana, the only fragrance in the directory of Basenotes that features everything, and I mean everything, but the kitchen sink. For crying out loud, I think I even smell a bit of Grandma's drool after she's been spittin' in the spitoon (hey, at least I got her to switch to Redman). Seriously, Havana is one of those fragrances that is often lauded as a must buy here. I'm here to tell you that... well... it's almost. The stuff is pretty loud and obnoxious on first spray--I don't know how anybody could love this and complain about Lorenzo Villoresi's fragrances starting out as "train wrecks". But give it time and it settles down. It's a "tobacco" fragrance, but to my nose, there's much more spice going on than tobacco, so for those seeking something of a true tobacco note might want to try it first. Ultimately, it gets to that tobacco, but it goes 1/2 way around the world and makes several stops before it gets there.

Sung Homme by Alfred Sung

My roomate in college swore by this stuff, so far as he annoited it "stud". Well, a decade later, I don't quite think it lives up to the moniker he gave it, but for the price, it certainly delivers.

Hei by Alfred Sung

I've since given this away after purchasing it a few years ago. I think it was a dream I had of a past lifetime, swept to see on a bamboo raft somewhere off the coast of Indonesia. I hadn't bathed in several days under the blistering hot sun, and all there was to eat were these green leaves that caused diarreha. I was happy to awaken with a cold sweat from this nightmare, only to have realized I had sprayed some Hei on myself before hitting bed. I think it's safe to say I never wore Hei after that.

Paradise for Men by Alfred Sung

Sung Paradise. After the horrible nightmare encounter of Hei, Paradise was aptly named. It's as if that little bamboo raft I was on found an island with some fresh, tropical fruit overlaying a light, white musk. The scent is aptly name, and I'd give it a thumbs up if this is the type of frag that floats your boat. Somewhat similiar to Kenneth Cole's Reaction (ok, very similar to my nose).

Les Nuits d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

Oh how I love this fragrance. What makes it even better is the fact that I won a 3.4 oz bottle off of ebay for about $40! Worth every penny, it comes the closest to poetically capturing the desert sky at night. I don't know how, but trust me on this.

Duel by Annick Goutal

On Guard! Drop that hanky and draw your sword! Well, that's what the makers would have you believe (that the scent is worth dying for). And you know something... they're wrong. But hell, I wouldn't mind suffering a near death experience for this stuff (preferably with a member of the opposite sex on top--would that be asking too much?) The great Ali once lamented this smells very similar to Creed Imperial, which it does... to an extent. Go and try some yourself and be your own judge. You may just become the Fourth Muskateer.

youare_the_rock..'s avatar

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

IT has something with evil...spirit.This fragrance shall be signature scent for ss nazi officer-black heat with silver shining human skull &bones on the top.Again -.analogy to catholic cemetary in october the same like "black for man "kenneth cole.-candels, smoky frankincense rotten wet leaws ,and grass....Do anybody know how smell human skull taken from cemetery?-well j had this experience-and j tell you strange ...wet rotten-exactly like down note of black polo.Very strange fragrance...shall we call it scent "fascination culture of the death"?.....

20scents's avatar

Jacomo de Jacomo Rouge by Jacomo

This one continues in the tradition of Ambro de Jacomo, the more exotic of the Jacomo oriental scented line. Rouge is better than the Jacomo de Jacomo black bottle original, which seems to be a cousin of Cigar Aficianado. ;-p~~ Anyhow, Rouge is long-lasting, smooth, with a Le Male vibe to it for sure. Sure to please!

20scents's avatar

Silver Black / Onyx by Azzaro

This was an amazing new find for me recently! I have found few new scents that exude a classic, feel-good spiciness and masculinity as this one does. I even bought the accompanying deodorant to this one, which is lovely in its own right. :-)

chris2005's avatar

Magnetism for Men by Escada

Love it, tried it today and can't get enough of it. A bit sweet, but, as someone else stated, very luxurious. I think of wine for some reason, and for me that's A-OK! Goes up to my top 10 list.

EdeC's avatar

My Queen by Alexander McQueen

To grandmothers house we go .

Blu pour Homme by Bulgari

I first tried Bvlgari Blv on paper and I thought that it was very captivating and charming (but not nearly as captivating and charming as the beautiful SA who picked it out for me. Perhaps my judgment was swayed... ). I had never smelled anything like Blv before — sweet and gingery, green, powdery, and definitely unique. I bought a bottle without testing it on my skin, and discovered that Blv on my skin delivers a much stronger punch than it does on the test strip. Blv is quite a piercing scent with a projectile ginger-sweet-powdery- floral-green sillage. I came to dislike it very quickly. I think the main problem with the scent is that it’s just too simple and linear — it completely depends on that aggressive ginger accord and has little variety or complexity. The sweet gingery, powdery notes are now overbearing and cloying. Blv’s inability to ameliorate itself is its downfall, I believe. I am now at the point where I have difficulty getting myself to take the cap off the bottle because I simply do not wish to smell it again...

Bowling Green by Geoffrey Beene

One of the defining openings in men’s designer fragrances—there’s no doubting that this is Bowling Green. That sparkling citrus-juniper blast hits like the double gin gimlet it olfactorily echoes. Very fresh, very bright, and meadowland green. The spices and floral of the middle are quite restrained and the coniferous pine comes through in full force. A regular walk through a pine forest — so clean and clear you can almost see the Nuthatches hopping down the trees trunks. The top to middle movement is smooth and there is little discernible break except that you suddenly realize that you are smelling traces of lavender and nutmeg instead of citrus. But the accords are quite similar — Bowling Green is essentially a linear fragrance. And the linearity continues through the base: Now the fir and cedar takes over the coniferous duties. Since fir is often less sharp and more mellow than juniper or pine, and since the other base notes are the 80’s traditional amber, sandalwood, patchouli, and moss, the dry down loses much of the coniferous sharpness that the top and middle notes have carried so long. The dry down is subtle — rich and subtle and it has great longevity. It is gentler than the typical 80’s drydown, making Bowling Green — at least its drydown — easier to wear today than many of the 80’s classics. An all-around excellent fragrance — it is both warm and cool and is appropriate any season. Love it!

Coriolan by Guerlain

Coriolan was one of those love-it-or-hate-it scents when it first appeared. To me that says that this must be an excellent fragrance: Polarization is for the great ones, indifference is for the mediocre. Coriolan is anything but mediocre. The fresh citrus opening is tempered and enriched by aromatic greens—sage and juniper—to create a refined accord that I would call not green nor aromatic nor citrus; it’s a combination accord but without the synthetic implications I find in so many of the massively noted openings of the 90’s fragrances. I view this scent as Guerlain’s attempt to meld the synthetic trends of the ‘90s with their tradition of excellent fragrances. (No, it does not contain the Guerlainade… the fact of which makes me grateful.) As the citrus abates, the juniper becomes more dominant and is joined by the spices and an obscure floral element. This heart accord is smooth and creamy to the point where the individual notes are unlikely to be identified. I usually prefer accords with individually identifiable notes but this smooth heart accord is particularly satisfying to me. The juniper combines with the patchouli, musk, amber, and, of course, oakmoss, to make a smooth, musky, mossy base where every once in a while an incense note wafts through the mossy musk: ethereal… but, alas, the beautiful Coriolan has only marginal longevity on my skin.

I am in a state of ambivalence about the gender distinction of Coriolan. I don’t think it is masculine, but it certainly isn’t feminine, either. Even more to my stupefaction, it doesn’t seem to be a typical unisex scent, either. As far as I’m concerned, this is an absolutely genderless fragrance, and in spite of that or because of that I find it quite sensual. (Edit of 08 October 2005 review.)

08 October, 2005 (Last Edited: 17 August, 2009)

Blu Notte pour Homme by Bulgari

Blv Notte is much better than the original Blv, but still has some of the same problems. It opens with a rather conglomerate accord that I’m not sure how to categorize: It has green, spice, floral, wood, and chocolate; and the ginger seems to make it either a little outer-worldly or a lot synthetic…. Ginger, chocolate, wood, green notes — interesting in itself, and if it didn’t remind me of Bvlgari Blv, I would probably love it, but that ginger note is too much of a reminder of the original. This opening is basically what the scent is — Blv Notte is quite linear. Unlike Blv, no one note seems to dominate its linearity: I can sort of identify the tobacco flower, the bitter chocolate, the rich deep wengué wood, and especially the ginger in the composite accord, but the notes do not have very much separation and they seem contrived and a trifle synthetic. Blv Notte is a little bit fresh and it is conspicuously darker and deeper than Blv. Its variety and its depth make it a much better scent than Blv: It follows basically the same formula, with a few very appropriate and needed changes and additions — but that basic Blv ginger note is still there and the improvement is not enough. Blv Notte is Blv toned down by taking on more complexity.

Swiss Army by Swiss Army

Cool Water with a touch of Curve. That's the most immediate response I had/have to Swiss Army. Of course, that's the first impression with all notes in chorus. But as it settles down you can sniff out the differences. After the top is gone, the lavender note is very apparent and the drydown is quite different from either of the two previous comparisons. Slightly more heavy and musky then either. Best thing going for this though is it's longevity. Neither Cool Water nor Curve have any staying power whatsoever with me (or most anyone else it seems). This stuff lasts very well without ever being obnoxious. No, it's not the most "riveting" scent as one reviewer put it, but it's darn good for the less initiated that haven't sniffed a hundred bottles of Fleur de this and Fleur de that.

Echo by Davidoff

I want to like this stuff soo much it hurts. It's definitley very synthetic in nature, but the note descriptions make that pretty clear. The best comparison I can compare this to would be the scent of some fresh dryer sheets I've smelled. It even seems similar to some of the "odor-eliminators" on the market. All of which are infused with synthetic sexless scents. Doesn't sound like something you'd want on your skin does it? Well, the top is pretty sharp and will make your eyes cross if you draw in deeply near the applicaton site. But with a little time, especially on the skin, it mellows out to something much more organic. It is sharp, it is soapy, and it's definitely man-made. But it's not bad either. A fine choice for the uninitiated for daytime or office wear. It's inoffensive, but for all the marketing savvy note descriptions, it lacks that certain something to make it stand out.

Miracle So Magic! by Lancôme

A fairly light and airy floral scent. Not as young smelling as, say, Lucky You but it's definitely for a younger crowd. My main problem with it though is it just doesn't have anything special about it. It plays it a little too safe and ends up being a bit vapid in character. But there's definitely worse things out there.

incedal's avatar

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

I really this one but theirs something about it that puts me off wearing it, maybe someone I knew long ago wore it or the smell it self is very common.