Fragrance Reviews from October 2005

incedal's avatar

Cool Water by Davidoff

Smells cheap and booring, I will always hate Cool Water for ripping off Creeds "Green Irish Tweed".

Like other reviewers have said save some money and get Green Irish Tweed it will be well worth it, Cool Water is the cheap supermarket Cola, where Green Irish Tweed is the real Coca Cola, nothing beats the real thing.

milamber's avatar

Yatagan by Caron

So, i've been thinking about all the dregs produced in the past few years and coupled with my readings of Herbert Mancuse, i just can't help but see how correct the man is when his theories are applied to the ubiquity of today's scent creations. The idea that everyday life is becoming colonised by "mechanisms of conformity" is so startlingly reflected in the strict conformity of today's scent offerings. Marines, citruses, linear concoctions abound in a society that imbibes the relentless advertisements that portray them for more than what they are. True individualism becomes drowned in the face of the "totally administered society" where we partake in the ultimate act of repression, our real needs transformed into false ones and subsequently "satisfied" by the pleasure industries in an orgy of contentment that masks the dumbing-down effect of ubiquity. Marcuse's argument is that the passive consumption of superficial products leads to short-term contentment but in the long run, creates an uncritical and one dimensional society.

Now, what would such an intellectual wear? Definitely something against the grain of mass culture. A scent that exudes strength and leadership. A powerhouse scent it must be to resist the conformity of the times. Yatagan fits this description to a tee! It combines the forces of woods (wormwood) and leather to great effect. A very masculine scent of intellectual proportions. A slap in the face of mass culture. A gauntlet thrown down on the side of individualism, signifying the rebellious attitude of revolutionary times.

I just used half a spritz and that is more than enough to carry me through to the end of this review. Excellent longevity with a grandiose sillage.

purinzzang's avatar

Metal Jeans Men by Versace

I love the watery top note! It's so refreshing and fruity. The grapefruit and watermelon note is really pleasing and sweet, however like most citrusy/light fragrances, the longevity is a problem. Otherwise, if you enjoy light and casual fragrance that won't disturb anyone, I recommend Metal Jeans by Versace! PS: Truthfully, the scent does not match it's name..It's more like "Ballad Jeans" than Metal!

artsan's avatar

Funtastic Boy by Benetton

Very refreshing with strong citrusy top. Minty touch will reveal quick after putting on, however, too mild to be realised after a while. Does not last long on my skin. Suitable for daily use as it's not overpowering.

BradtheImpaler's avatar

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

(1 part)Licorice
    (1 part)Pipe tobacco
    (1 part)Sugar

Mix thoroughly and take a bath in it.

BradtheImpaler's avatar

Rochas Man by Rochas

I was hoping for "coffee", or at least "chocolate", but all I got is "cotton candy" - I mean, if I closed my eyes I'd swear I was at the State Fair. It's hard to believe no one else mentioned the similarity!

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

This is the one that got me started on my fragrance passion this time around. I smelled it and I had to have it… Medicinal and aromatic and sweet right out of the bottle — I think it’s the eucalyptus in opposition to the caramel sweetness with the hint of anise spiciness that captivated me. It’s such an unusual accord—fresh and gourmand and aromatic at the same time. I wish the sweetness would diminish, though, because it does tend to push me to my toleration limits, but in all these years, it’s never pushed me beyond. The fragrance warms up with lavender, cedar, spices, and a touch of incense in its middle notes, and in spite of (or maybe because of) its warmth, it takes on a darker, rather mysterious character. The camphor from the base rises up to continue the slight medicinal touch into the base, which is caramel and tonka sweet, woody, and camphorous. Body Kouros is a special scent — my most worn sweet fragrance. It is sweet, yes, but the aromatic notes from the eucalyptus, the cedar, and the camphor equalize the sweetness and broaden the scent enough to make it enjoyably wearable for me.

09 October, 2005 (Last Edited: 09 March, 2008)

Jako by Lagerfeld

The opening is a citrus, fruit, touch-of-cinnamon accord combined with “Indian Davana Essence,” whatever that is. This opening accord is extremely sweet, and it seems even sweeter than it actually is. There is a little of the rosewood from the middle and incense from the base reaching up to add a bit of a smoky dimension to the sweetness and I think that is a very good touch: I believe this combination of notes would have worked, had the opening not been so overly sweet. The spicy / rosewood heart is quite successful, although it still suffers from a sugary afterburn: I enjoy the middle notes because they include a rosewood note and I’m always a sucker for rosewood in a fragrance. The heart ie quite 90’s, but somehow it doesn’t annoy me as much as most of those 90’s sweet fruit-bombs — I’m still impressed by the judicious use of the rosewood and incense. Some of the sweetness is carried into the drydown and the drydown is quite subtle and definitely close to the skin, but it lasts for an acceptable period of time. I’m ambivalent about Jako — it’s too sweet for me, but I do think it has more complexity than others of its era. It’s the abundant sweetness with a cloying attitude that keeps me from enjoying this fragrance. This could have been much more interesting and even bottle worthy had they been more stingy with the sweetness. (Edit of 09 October 2005 review.)

09 October, 2005 (Last Edited: 17 August, 2009)

Hei by Alfred Sung

Hei is based on an excellent idea as far as I’m concerned—a masculine minimalistic green fragrance with a Fung Shui vibe. I think it is partially successful. The bamboo and mint notes are done sort of okay, but the notes are a bit muddled and massed in the 90’s tradition – these potentially clean and clear notes come through a bit creamy and/or soapy. There should be distinct identification of each of the notes and more separation between them. The mint should be a clear ethereal mint ringing its vibration through the rest of the green as the mint in Derby is presented. Natural bamboo has a delicate clear green aroma that would work much better than a creamy version of it. I believe Hei portends to be minimalistic, but its creamy massed accords seem to be simply trying to complete with all the other massed notes fragrances from all the other ‘90s releases. I don’t think Hei can compete with other scents on their terms. It should have gone another route—clear, precise, delicate bamboo, mint, and wood notes with a subtle background of lavender, jasmine, and amber / musk. It would have been smashing. (Edit of 09 October 2005 review.)

09 October, 2005 (Last Edited: 17 August, 2009)

Mania (original) by Giorgio Armani

I was shocked when I tried this fragrance. It reminds me of By Dolce & Gabbana Man, but of course By smells much nicer. Is this a woman's fragrance??

Polo Sport Woman by Ralph Lauren

This fragrance reminds me of L'eau D'Issey by Issey Miyake, but a lousier version. Will never consider buying this fragrance. It's just so... sorry

Romance by Ralph Lauren

The bottle is a shorter, fatter version of Eternity by Calvin Klein. The scent is very common and definitely not to my likings.

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

It's just unoriginal. The more I smell it the more I hate it. Forget about this junk...

09 October, 2005 (Last Edited: 05 January, 2006)

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

It's so plain and so normal to me. I've never liked armani fragrances. This 1, uummm...

Eternity Love by Calvin Klein

Bought it as a valentine's gift. Smells heavenly. My girlfriend loves it and wish to bathe with it.

Lauren Style by Ralph Lauren

Another junk from Ralph Lauren... This smells like a lighter version of Eternity Moment by Calvin Klein. This will be the last fragrance I'll choose to buy this year.

Eternity Moment by Calvin Klein

What can I say? This is definitely 1 of the best scent in recent years. The slight fruity top notes is very appealing and the dry down is very feminine and sensual.

cK one Summer 2005 by Calvin Klein

The bottle is very eye-catching. The scent is very fresh and sunny. Definitely 1 not to be missed this summer.

kilted's avatar

Dalimix by Salvador Dali

I ordered a mini of this one simply because I liked the bottle. I was kind of surprised to find out that I actually liked the juice as well!
    At first it reminded me of ckOne, but it developed into something much more interesting. I get citrus, melon and pear out of Dalimix drying down into something, but I don't know what, slightly darker with just a hint of sweetness.
    Overall it is a great bottle, and a pretty decent scent at a very reasonable price, I don't see how you could go wrong with this one.

laurent's avatar

Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

Double Fraîcheur pour Lui by Molinard

Now if this one would have more lasting it would be my signature scent.
    It is well tailored mixing the mint with the citrus notes, a great great harmony but it doesnt last it dies very quickly and it is a shame.

Rafal's avatar

Adidas 3 Men by Adidas

Nice scent, original. Its staying power is bad, though. Not very expensive. Fresh but masculine. And the bottle - fantastic, very easy to use. Adidas 3 is a really nice fragrance.

Scenturio's avatar

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

There is quite a hype rolling on with this perfume. Though I found the test probe attractive, I refrained from buying it, when an elderly married couple came into the perfume shop when I was in, and the lady, obviously used to take the more initiative part, asked quite demanding for that smell. Call me an elitarian, but like with Davidoff and Creed smells I prefer to have a smell quite of my own, or at least one who has gone through some seasons.

Il Bacio by Borghese

The above review says it all. This is a very different scent...complex and interesting. Peach is the dominant note...to me, anyway. Not sickly sweet peach, though. Very rich and feminine.

Wild Musk by Coty

Such a classic, cheap or not. One of the first fragrances I ever lusted after. Have owned it since I was about 10 years old. This is the epitome of musk to me (probably because it's one of the first musks I owned). Great sillage and great staying power. Will always love this...

Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana

I like it. Not in love, but definitely different than most "clean" scents these days. Smells almost identical to Moschino's I Love Love. I'd describe this as a crisp scent, not very sweet. Shouldn't offend anyone...very safe, I think.

Carrìerre by Gendarme

Love this for summer. Super-clean smelling, but not very long-lasting. Very citrusy with a musk dry-down. Could never offend anyone.

Hot Couture by Givenchy

Very unique scent...sweet and peppery at the same time, which keeps it from being cloying. I like to layer it with sandalwood to round it out a bit. Definite compliment-getter...so the sillage must be great.

Max Mara by Max Mara

Starts out FANTASTIC. But those beautiful top notes fade so quickly and the dry-down notes are not very interesting or nice. The sweetness needs to stay around longer.

Body by Victoria by Victoria's Secret

Very clean and long-lasting. Not very good at describing notes, but this is a great scent for summer. Should also work well in the office.

Banana Republic Classic by Banana Republic

Very clean scent. The dry-down is just gorgeous. Sadly, this one doesn't have great staying-power. Wish it did.