Fragrance Reviews from October 2005

TinselX's avatar

Tam Dao by Diptyque

Sandalwood is one of my favorite notes...except not in this fragrance. I don't get the "real" sandalwood...I get an imposter, some note trying to be sandalwood. My husband says it smells identical to Snuggle fabric softener. Not good...

09th October, 2005

TinselX's avatar

Lemon Sugar by Fresh

Wow, this is in a class by itself. Very lemony, almost identical to the oh-so-over-priced Clean. Surprisingly long-lasting, but definitely not a scent for everyone's taste. I get mixed reviews from others on this one when I wear it.

09th October, 2005

Artisankey's avatar

Fracas by Robert Piguet

I'll admit at first I didn't understand. Then, after one more reluctant try, I became smitten.

Seriously, you have to worship tuberose and tuberose has to worship you. It is a clear, white floral medley touched with peachy accents and not a hint of powder. The wonderful dryout focuses around sandalwood, cedar, and gentle musk.

On me it's soft, light, clean and uber-fem. It's the one I get the most positive comments on. The parfum has a slightly more animalic cast, but eventually dries the way the EdP does. I find it sensual and provocative and while I have heard others say how loud and brash it is, it doesn’t behave that way on my skin at all.

There are definitely two camps for this one- love it or hate it. Try it more than once. Eventually you’ll know which camp you belong in.

benb's avatar

Arpège pour Homme by Lanvin

This is a very nice and lovely scent. Except that it is to to week. If it was up to me there would only be Eau de Parfum. Eau de toilette would simply not exist.
    benb

CoL's avatar

La Rose de Rosine by Les Parfums de Rosine

What a wonderful translucent rose scent! Very well as usual from Rosine. I feel this is rather unisex, as comparing it to my Rose D'Homme, I feel this is actually slighty MORE masculine! Real big thumbs up!

desimishu's avatar

Touch for Men by Burberry

THOse ARE FOOLS if they do not enjoy this fragrance!! UNBELEIVABLE SMELL!!!!! LADIESSSSSSSSSSSS DRUELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL OVER THIS !! BEST BURBERRY FRAGRANCE!!!

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

This is the one I love to hate, but I suppose it’s not really as bad as I try to think it is. My first exposure to Eternity seventeen years ago was my introduction to many things: My first watery fragrance, my first synthetic fragrance, my first headache inducing fragrance, and the first fragrance that I recall stalking me — IT WAS EVERYWHERE! I expect that my main problem with it was that those who used it poured it on with little restraint. I wore it once — sprayed away with abandon because, at the time, I was unaware how terribly potent synthetic accords can be — and what gruesome headaches they can produce. After that one time, I gave my bottle away. My opinion hasn’t changed very much since then. To be fair, it’s not anywhere near the worst fragrance in the world; there are all too many that are actually more annoying. It’s just that Eternity was so successful that it can be blamed, rightfully or wrongfully, for fathering all the watery, synthetic concoctions that followed. I’ve even changed in my opinion of it a bit after all this time: I can now grudgingly admit that it is not totally disgusting because the tail end of the dry down is, indeed…pleasant.

10th October, 2005 (Last Edited: 17th March, 2008)

FUBU Plush for Men by FUBU

Ah, what’s in a name? That which we call ‘Plush’ by any other name would smell as…plush. Actually, the name ‘Plush’ is rather meaningless here. It sounds as if it would be rich and luxurious, but it is pretty much the opposite. It opens with an amaretto note. The amaretto is fairly well done — this is important because amaretto is the kind of note that can easily become cheap and cloying if it isn’t used with lots of discretion. It IS used discreetly; it behaves nicely and is even somewhat translucent. The middle notes are also non-aggressive — light spices, light citrus with a powdery background — well constructed, very pleasant. The base is a nicely balanced wood, amber, and musk that hug the skin with a comfortable presence. Plush may not be the kind of fragrance that immediately grabs a lot of attention, but untrue to its name, it delivers a rather subtle but rewarding experience for a very reasonable cost. For its cost, it is very good. The bottle is remarkable – gimmicky, but remarkable. All things considered, even though it could use more longevity, Plush earns a thumb’s up.

10th October, 2005 (Last Edited: 17th March, 2008)

Hugo by Hugo Boss

First a synthetic blast, then a sharp piney, spicy, minty, rum opening that could be considered quite pleasant except that it develops an off-putting synthetic tang. This is one of those massed accords where the components can’t be separated out but are blended into a dominant theme that is well described as “pleasant artificiality.” The middle is another conglomeration of green / spicy / floral—somewhat chaotic and not entirely unpleasant. The base is subdued and nondescript. Unfortunately, this is a headache producing synthetic exercise in “near enjoyability.” It is a scent that seems okay the first few times it is worn, but quickly becomes off-putting. It is not the worst fragrance around nor even the worst by Hugo Boss, but I can’t see it as anything but a thumbs down. (Edit of 10 October 2005 review.)

10th October, 2005 (Last Edited: 20th October, 2009)

Blu Mediterraneo Tuscan Cypress / Cipresso di Toscana by Acqua di Parma

More true to the “Mediterraneo” in the name than the “Cipresso,” the top notes are herbal and citrus, but there is a slight coniferous ambiance lurking about among the herbal aromatics and the Hesperidian freshness. This top is light, attractive, and moderately sharp, without being either intriguing or boring. Except for a loss of sharpness and a reduction of aromatics, the middle notes are quite reminiscent of the top notes — it continues herbal, with the addition of lavender, while the pine replaces the citrus: A little too similar to the top, but, like the top, neither too much nor too little, and, overall, quite pleasant. I do feel, however, that the lavender in the middle accord dulls the clarity of the heart notes. The floral component of the middle misses me entirely — perhaps the florals are there in the background, but you can’t prove it by me. This heart is my least favorite part of the fragrance. It is in the base where the true nature of the ‘cipresso’ takes over. The base that boasts the dominant coniferous character is very engaging: Cypress and cedar and oak moss, with the patchouli and vetiver, create a singular and refreshing coniferous accord. Cipresso di Toscana is quite light and very refreshing. Its lightness can be a problem because I’ve found that I need to apply more of this fragrance than I do of most others. Where ordinarily I use one and one-half or two sprays, I need at least double that to achieve the desired results from Cipresso. It lasts about three or four hours. I really like the pleasantness and subtlety of this fragrance so I am voting a thumbs up. I can readily agree with the other reviewers about its linearity and plentiful herbalness, but, even so, I find the fragrance attractive.

10th October, 2005 (Last Edited: 04th April, 2008)

godzilla's avatar

Sybaris by Antonio Puig

Excellence from Spain!
    Sybaris is a traditional, sweet, and cuddly scent suitable for romantic occasions.
    If you like fragrances like Guerlain Heritage, Patou Prive, or Hermes Equipage, then you'll most likely have a great experience with Sybaris.
    It's a scent which is perhaps more appropriate for gentlemen in their late 30's.
    Remember to apply sparingly: it's quite potent. A true classic from Spain.

Allure Homme by Chanel

i dont' know how anyone could say this was masculine... for me it was way too sweet and girly. Its a high quality affair, some interesting notes, but in the end its a bit too sickly and just not for me.

Joop! Homme by Joop!

One of my all time favourites and seems to last forever! Not really suitable for a serious office meeting or a funeral... or summer for that matter! Ive really found this fragrance to be a love it of hate it affair, and i love it.

Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy

Love it! one of my top ten fragrances. Its often overlooked and quite hard to find in some parts of the world but if you can find it give it a try. i'm pretty sure that this, like Joop, is a love it or hate it type of scent. I preferred the old bottle though, before Givenchy standardised their range.

Joop! Jump by Joop!

I agree that its a similar fragrance to Allure. I do find it to be much more wearable though, as Allure can be a bit much to stomach at times with its over the top sweetness. Definitely one to try if you like these sweet types of scent but also try it if youre looking something a little different.

isaacc7's avatar

Orange Spice by Creed

Long lasting, complex citrus scent. It is one of the few citruses that is not sweet, as the name implies, it's got quite a spice feel to it. I love the musk in the drydown.

Dolly Girl by Anna Sui

I really hate this, especially the bottle. It's really awful and bad taste. The scent makes me want to throw up. Smells cheap and no personality.

Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel

I like L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci and First by Van Cleef & Arpels, but I just hate this one. The bottle looks cheap and The scent is way too powdery. Luckily, none of my friends like this one.

LouLou by Cacharel

It stinks. It's one of the worst fragrance I've ever tried. It gives me headache each time I smell it, makes me feel like throwing up. The bottle looks cheap also. Don't ever think of buying this one.

Eau d'Eden by Cacharel

I'll never consider buying this fragrance. It's the cheaper version of Estee Lauder's Pleasures. This one has no personality and no staying power. It doesn't leave an impression.

Fragile by Jean Paul Gaultier

It's definitely 1 of the best packaging in the industry. The scent is very feminine and elegant. It's the scent for the self assured woman. A fragrance as prestigeous as Gaultier's Haute Couture.

Fragile Eau de Toilette by Jean Paul Gaultier

I bought it for my girlfriend and she really loves the scent. It's a lighter interpretation of the Fragile EDP. It's still made up of Tuberose, but a lighter 1. This is a good scent for the modern woman who is elegant and confident. I realised that Ralph Lauren tried to imitate this fragrance with his version of Glamorous, but Fragile EDT is far superior than that.

Fuel for Men / DK Men by Donna Karan

A friend gave it to me and I really can't stand the fragrance. It stinks. Glad it's being discontinued.

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

I've been using this fragrance since 1990 and still love it today. It's a timeless fragrance that's both classic and contemporary. It's refined yet strong. The scent is very distinctive. In fact, I notice that alot of brands are trying to imitate this scent, but it just stand out from the others. I'll always have a bottle of it in my wardrobe.

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

I've always been a big fan of Le Male since it was release in 1996 on local market and still using it today. It really last a whole day with only a few spritz. I'm gonna stay loyal to this fragrance. Mr. Armani pls stop trying to imitate this fragrance.

Secret Wish by Anna Sui

I hate this even though I must admit that the bottle is rather nice. It's just so common and no personality. It's Anna's version of D&G Light Blue, but I think Light Blue is far more superior than this. Forget about buying this except for the bottle.

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

It's a great scent. I love it as much as Le Male. Vanilla makes the fragrance very sensual. Bought the 2x40ml bottle, think the bottle is simple and nice. It's definitely 1 of the best release this year.

Miss_C's avatar

Norway Norway

Brit by Burberry

A very sexy, fresh, longlasting fragrance. The vanilla essence is not to strong, and is suitable for daily wear.

oriental_fragrance's avatar

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

It's wonderful!!! This is the first oriental flavor of Armani. If you are the one who very much like manly fragrance, you should not omit it!!!

Photorin's avatar

Erolfa by Creed

On the testcard very interesting and nice, on my skin terrible. Creed is not my cup of tee!