Fragrance Reviews from November 2005

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

Wonderful classic chypre. I love the opening citrus notes and the mossy drydown. I used to lament the poor longevity, but now I feel like it's more a matter a subtle drydown with little sillage, an effect I'm sometimes in the mood for. A scent that's very easy to like - though it dates from 1955 it has a timeless feel to me. It could have come from any time in the last 100 years and I wouldn't be surprised.

Havana by Aramis

Excellent tobacco scent, though I wonder whether this one is slightly overrated due to it's current exclusivity. A spicy take on the tobacco theme with a structure that's evocotive of classic masculine scents like Azzaro PH.

Patou pour Homme Privé by Jean Patou

The combination of lavender and sandalwood is perfectly rendered. This scent is an exquisite balance of soft, green notes with softer, smokier wood and spice. I much prefer this scent to the original Patou pour Homme.

Pour Un Homme by Caron

The listed notes strike me as a bit optimistic - it's very hard for me to detect much complexity beyond the lavender and vanilla. Still, the combination is beautiful. I only wish the lavender topnotes lasted longer. For the moments when the lavender is slowly being overtaken my the vanilla base, this scent is intoxicating

"Vintage" Tabaróme by Creed

This scent makes me think of cigar smoke, gentlemen's clubs, leather club chairs, scotch on the rocks. It's the smell of wealth and taste and power. Extraordinarily evocotive of another era. Unquestionably masculine.

Baladin by Nicolaï

I've tried to like this one and have finally given up for now. It's not a bad scent, but too herbal and sharp for my taste. Neither does it seem to develop much on my skin. I can't find any leather in this one, despite what I keep hearing.

New York by Nicolaï

A perpetual favorite. I remember something Luca Turin said on his blog about this one - he was dividing masculine scents into a variety of categories and this one fell into the genre of scents that simply "smell great." I agree.

Like others have said, New York is reminiscent of classics like Jicky, Mouchoir de Monsieur, etc. To me it also strongly compares to Chanel Pour Monsieur, with New York being longer lasting and more complex, if heavier. I see that many people like to wear this scent in cold weather. To me it's one of those scents that's perfect all year.

Nostalgia by Santa Maria Novella

This fragrance is amazing. I wasn't sure what to expect before I tried it - could it really smell like a vintage car? Gasoline, motor oil, rubber, leather? The answer, a resounding Yes! And it smells great! It's difficult to imagine that those notes could be composed into a fragrance that smells so good on the skin. The leather is one of the strongest, truest interpretations I know of. It dries down into a base of vanilla and light spices, with the wood and leather (like an old car interior) persisting to the end. Very long lasting as well.

Feuilles de Tabac by Miller Harris

One of my absolute favorites. I've come to love tobacco scents and this one smells very much of damp, fresh tobacco leaves. Unlike the very smoky and oriental Fumerie Turque or the cigar smoke of Vintage Tabarome, this one is the fresh cigar, right out of the box, still unlighted.

Original Vetiver by Creed

Agree that this resembles Mugler Cologne, but OV is much deeper and longer lasting with a sharp grassy edge. Oustanding sillage and longevity for a scent of this type. My most often worn warm weather scent. Always attracts compliments.

mrliberfarb's avatar

Bigarade Concentrée by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

A tad feminine, but perfect in the spring months. Perfect for when you're outside in nature, when I smell it I think of a walk in a French Garden.

mugler's avatar

Héros by Uomo Parfums - Didier Calvo

Got this as a miniature. It smells very weird like some kind of oriental triditional medicine. It smells more like a balm/medicine than perfume. Very heavy and somewhat exotic. I don't know who will wear this and where to wear it to.

RitaMae's avatar

"Vintage" Tabaróme by Creed

Love this scent on men but I must confess that I love it more on myself. Musky leathery dry-down makes it all the more sexy. Love to wear this with black leather, underneath a magenta velvet smoking jacket or under nothing at all. It's that sensual...

RitaMae's avatar

Vetiver by Guerlain

It's so delicious a fragrance that when I run out of my own bottle, I borrow my boyfriend's. Has much more substance than Dior's "Eau Savage."I love the way it changes on your skin every few seconds. It heats up when you're flushed & you can really smells the woods & spice, then it cools off in the shade and you get the bergamot, citrus & herbs. A great fragrance for either sex, and expecially delightful to wear on a hot summer day.

Bois Noir by Chanel

Chanel's masterpiece, Bois Noir flopped and was removed from the Chanel boutique shelves within the year of it's introduction (1987). It was re-launched in 1990 as Egoiste. As good as Egoiste is (and it is good, no, it is great) Bois Noir is far and away, a superior mix of the same notes found in Egoiste. It is a dirty rotten shame Chanel found it necessary to alter the formula, however slightly for it's relaunch as Egoiste but they did and of course, Egoiste was a huge success.

I sparingly use my Bois Noir mostly for very special occasions... like the election of a democratic majority in the house and senate...which is to say, my bottle will easily last me for my lifetime.

Iquitos by Alain Delon

The ultimate 80's era rose scent for men. This is not a bright pink rose characteristic of so many, mainly women's fragrances; Iquitos is a dark blood-red rose whose petal tips have started to brown and wither. More "thorn" than "petal," the genius of this composition is the balance between patchouli, amber and green (vetiver?) with the humid rose not that lasts from top to bottom. Smells like...? Nothing else I know.

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Think "pretty." Think "girly." Think "floral-y"

Now think the absolute opposite of all three. That's Kouros.

Say what you will, Kouros is the very essence of what most of us would call a "masculine" scent if one defines "masculine" as an opposite of all things "feminine."

Piss? Armpit? Sweaty testicles? Well, yes, Kouros smells a little bit like that but only figuratively, not literally. The thing is a work of genius in that it takes the most animalic composition of this-close-to-foetid notes ever squirted into a bottle and comes up with a long lasting, heady fragrance with a warm, almost sweet grassy drydown. This is one that only a girly man would disdain (and yes, that's a challenge pilgrim!)

Buck up Mister and wear this one like a man!

Piper Nigrum by Lorenzo Villoresi

Buy it and then use it very sparingly. A little goes a long way and, as absolutely fabulous as this singular fragrance is, if you overdo it (wearing it for days at a time or too heavily), it will turn you off.

That said, the beauty of Piper Nigrum isn't just in its intial exotic and heady blend. The variations of notes slurring, appearing and disappearing over the basso profundo pepper sostenuto is never quite the same with each wearing. A mysterious changling, no collection should be without.

Aspen for Men by Coty

I LOVE ASPEN! I love Aspen for Women, too! It brings back memories of the fall 1989, the year I spent autumn in Munich and the Bavarian countryside. Harkens me back to Oberammergau and Neuschwanstein Castle in the forest. It is truly and beautiful forest scent, which is a quality, long-lasting fragrance. I just love it, and it is definitely one of the "memory joggers." I also love Aspen for Women, as it, too, reminds me of days hiking up on the trails of the Sandia Mountains in Albuquerque, New Mexico. I would spray on Aspen for Women and go hiking in the forest above Albuquerque all morning. When I got back home at noon, Aspen for Women was still lingering. Definitely a quality women's perfume and worth the price, too. A damn good women's fragrance.

Number 3 / Le 3me Homme / The Third Man by Caron

To sum it up in two words: NOT GOOD. I sent this bottle back, along with the bottle of Yatagan, also not a good choice. This is also a cheap-smelling fragrance. It smells like a cheap imitation or poor attempt at copying Pour Monsieur by Chanel. There is a similarity in the initial impression, but Pour Monsieur by Chanel is much more complex and intense. This is really a cheap-smelling fragrance, something you would find in a five-and-dime in the discount aisle. Don't waste your money, go buy Pour Monsieur by Chanel instead.

Molto Smalto by Francesco Smalto

I love it! Very nice. Reminds me a lot of Cool Water, but with a darker side. It definitely had staying power, much more than the weaker Cool Water. For some reason Cool Water never stayed on me, but Molto Smalto did! I've got four small bottles that I'm saving for small occasions. What a shame it's been discontinued. When I wear Molto Smalto, it never fails, I get compliments. I like that in a fragrance, when people notice it and they like it and tell you.

Yatagan by Caron

In one word, CHEAP. I sent the bottle back to the company. It was very cheap-smelling and smelled like the inside of particle-board kitchen cupboard in a mobile home. Ugh! Yes, there's also some kind of "celery" scent in there too, kind of like old celery salt that was kept in that old particle-board kitchen cupboard. There are better fragrances out there than this. If you want a woody type of fragrance, go with Gucci pour Homme or Gucci Rush, both are woody and nice. Perhaps Caron was trying to copy M7 by Yves St. Laurent, as there is a slight similarity between the two smelling like particle-board cupboards.

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Had heard a lot and was expecting a lot. The first whiff got me intoxicated with the smell. It was too strong. Felt like 6 types of incense sticks burning together next to the nostrils. The dry down is bearable. But overall derived a headache for me.

Chaumet Homme by Chaumet

Aiieee Yaaaieee Aieee !!! Wowww !! refreshing smell. I bought A*Men and got a sample of this free. I haven't touched A*Men but preserving and using this sample more often. I am confident, anyone standing next to you of the opposite sex, couldn't look the other way.

Chrome by Azzaro

I don't agree that it smells like a popular perfume. It's not all cliche' and is very tasteful. Wear in winter than summer to make it last longer. Premium class like Chivas Regal.

Brit for Men by Burberry

Very nice. Not too strong and pleasantly sweet. Goes with any type of clothing.

Geir by Geir Ness

I must say it's original and when I first smelled it in the Norway center at EPCOT, DisneyWorld; I loved it. I bought a bottle. The smell is great but sometimes I smell a strong chemical in it, which gets me dizzy for a few minutes.

DKNY Be Delicious Men by Donna Karan

Absolute waste of my money. There is nothing special in the scent. In fact, it isn't long lasting, it's faint and can't smell the coffee at all.

rosbergs3's avatar

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

To me, this is an EDT version of Flowerbomb. They almost smell identical to me. Flowerbomb is just stronger and more potent than this. The iris is very pronounced and lovely. Dior Homme is a very classy and very feminine fragrance for men and hopefully it will be the catalyst for a better variety amoung mens fragrances.

Savvy_Nose's avatar

Original Santal by Creed

I love Original Santal from Creed. In fact, my girlfriend and I both wear it. It's a sandalwood scent unlike any other, blended with warm cinnamon and juniper berry. It has a calming and soothing effect we adore. We were so lucky to pick some up in London, and I'm looking forward to buying it in the U.S. when it is available here.