Fragrance Reviews from December 2005

Coriolan by Guerlain

This is kind of bitter and for all of ingredients listed, there's just one prominent note that sticks out and messes this one up.

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

This is a very sophisticated an elegant piece of work. I can't believe it was created that long ago, and still have so much depth to it. Two thumbs up!!!

English Leather by Dana

I bought a bottle of this recently not for nostalgic purposes but to find out why the reviews of it lacked the playful sarcasm that I thought English Leather deserved. What I discovered is that the English Leather being sold today is NOT the English Leather that I used for a while back in the sixties. This is softer, lighter, and more refined. It is not that in-your-face, leather accord that was so vibrantly 1960s: this one is has toned down that “leather” ambiance considerably. I had overdosed on the ‘60s version of English Leather and I still have a strong memory of how cloying it could be… But the cloying element seems to have been eliminated for the most part… Gone is the stupendous sillage that announced “English Leather” to the people three apartments down the hall (I remember this happening)… Gone is the epic longevity that made applying it more than once every three days totally redundant...

The current English Leather is less potent. In the most recent version I can smell the citrus top that I never smelled in the ‘60s version. The leather? I get an echo of the leather accord only occasionally, mostly I get an undetermined wood dominance. I get an unidentifiable but amiable citrus in the opening, which gradually changes to a discreet and civilized mossy / wood / maybe leather accord for the rest of the fragrance. The citrus is non-spectacular, the moss is competent, the woods are somewhat generic / somewhat synthetic, and the leather only occasionally raises its head. The leather Superbomb of the ‘60s has become a mild mannered Clark Kent of a fragrance – competent, unassuming, a bit shy, and sometimes quirky. For the price, this one is a deal to be considered: sometimes those reformulations are for the better. (Edit of 01 December 2005 review. Changed from thumbs down.)

01st December, 2005 (Last Edited: 24 July, 2009)

Hai Karate by Leeming

This was some vile stuff. Even forty years ago, when I had little discernment and even less taste and almost no money, I used it two or three times and then tossed the bottle—it was rrreeeaaallllllllyyyyy bad.

lefay's avatar

Bal à Versailles by Jean Desprez

I first sampled this in the mid-'80s (found a small bottle on someone else's bathroom vanity and took a sniff and a dab; I'm shameless that way), and immediately fell in love. "The perfect fragrance," I thought. Since then I've delved into newer, stranger, and more intriguing scents, but this still holds up as an all-time truly glorious oriental.

LookinForHappy's avatar

Chloé (original) by Chloé

My boyfriend bought this for me and I had never tried it before, and though I like some of the notes in this fragrance, the florals are a bit overpowering...either that, or my chemistry just cannot tolerate them all at once.

NDinDC's avatar

Mémoire d'Homme by Nina Ricci

MdH is an interesting scent that many readers will not like. The top notes of grapefruit and licorice could push against each other, but instead pair up for a slightly smoky, bitter edge. Some folks will react against that edge, but those who like it will adore it. From there, the scent mellows softly in its dry down. The final notes are light and powdery while hinting of cedar. Overall, a pleasant experience for someone who enjoys scents that don't smell just like everyone else in the room. It is worth taking the risk.

Tropical_Storm's avatar

Le Feu D'Issey Light by Issey Miyake

A very light, pleasant fragrance. My favourite Issey Miyake fragrance by far. On my skin it settles to a nice soapy scent, sweetly floral with a touch of musk. It would make a good summer fragrance, or a discreet scent to wear to work. Subtle, without the aggressive greens of L'eud D'Issey. Eminently wearable.

Tropical_Storm's avatar

Alien by Thierry Mugler

This has got to be one of the most unfortunate fragrances I have ever tried. Too much, too strong, too intrusive, too loud, too overwhelming. The initial blast of flowers is enough to blast you out of your shoes, there are no detectable woods on my skin, and the dry down is an extremely strong smelling (and to my nose revolting) artificial jasmine that bombards me like repeated blows to the face.
    Unbearable. Shades of Giorgio! It's hard to believe that Mugler put his name on this atrocity.

360 Degrees for Men by Perry Ellis

Watery, lovely scent from Perry Ellis. Envelopes you with energy and delight.

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser by 4711

A classic scent for all times! So many men's fragrances throughout the years have taken this basic, simple scent and spun it their way. Tangy, green, refreshing scent, esp. for warmer weather. A must to check out for the serious collector of classic scents.

Aramis by Aramis

One of the first scents that really caught my attention! Its aerosol like delivery is unusual nowadays, and the scent itself is sophisticated, masculine, and fresh. Wish it could last longer, but otherwise I recommend trying this one out!

On El by J del Pozo

I am still trying to grasp this scent. It resembles Rocabar by Hermes to an extent, but wow it has so many notes that take it in uncharted directions! Maybe this one will grow on me, I'll have to see. :-o

273 Indigo for Men by Fred Hayman

What a wonderfully smooth scent! It is unlike the original 273, with a subtle, lavender powdery quality that points to the sensitive side of a man. And it's easy to get gift sets of this one for dirt cheap (e.g. Perfumania).

360 Degrees Red for Men by Perry Ellis

Startling, fresh scent. Reminiscent of Drakkar, as others have pointed out. Still, has a unique quality to it that makes it stand out.

Dunhill Fresh by Dunhill

Nice, fresh, crisp new offering from Alfred Dunhill. The liquid looks snappy, and I love the bottle! :)

Hummer by Hummer

Not bad, but I find it to be too simple and basic. I do not mind wearing it, it's just not as deep as I would like it. A very crisp, outdoorsy scent to be sure, Hummer was not a complete failure, IMO. I think the Hummer H2 scent that came next was much better.

Elements by Hugo Boss

I didn't think too much of it, but I recieved alot of compliments on this at work. therefore I will give a thumbs up based upon fan review.

Elements Aqua by Hugo Boss

Man this is really a nice aquatic watery type fragrance. Underestimated, and smooth at the same time.So much fresher than alot of stuff on the market that is supposed to be fresh.

Fath Pour l'Homme by Jacques Fath

Man this stuff is so sweet you could almost drink it out of the bottle, but in a good way. Lasts all day.

Green Water by Jacques Fath

Green garbge. How can anything this old not have any staying power. Then again why would anyone want to smell like a cheap tonic prepared for sore throats?

Yang by Jacques Fath

This is very well put together fragrance. Deep, dark ,and mysterious, and declaration copied this, or was declaration first?

Baldessarini by Baldessarini

This is elegance in a bottle indeed. A nice fougre, chyrpe type fragrance with the masculinity still present.

Baldessarini Del Mar by Baldessarini

Another sleeper, this smells like they revamped their aqua cologne and mixed in a little Vera Wang to create an awesome fragrance

KimChi's avatar

In Love Again by Yves Saint Laurent

I just adore this fragrance. It is very light, happy and fresh with nice grapefruit notes. I understand that it will only be available every four years, and although the bottle is 100ml, I honestly think I will buy a second bottle in case I run out.

LookinForHappy's avatar

Innocent by Thierry Mugler

In trying this one on for the first time today, all I can say is that I am disappointed. As someone who actually can wear very "manly" fragrances and very spicy ones as well, Angel Innocent has literally evaporated from my skin within an 1.5 hours. All that is left is a cornstarch type powder smell.

Lyman's avatar

Vetiver by Guerlain

[insert moan of delight] What a soft, foggy, sweet, tasteful, comforting scent. There's something satisfying about a scent that's so complete, like a correct mathematical formula, with a self-evident, satisfying integrity. (And the color is beautiful, and so is the bottle!)

moondeva's avatar

Rochas Femme (new) by Rochas

[size=12][b][color=#ffcc99]Femme[/color][/b] by Rochas

A true delight! ;D

There is a pastry you can get in patisseries & coffee shops called an almond slice - it is light flaky pastry spread lightly with ground almond paste (not marzipan) and folded over on itself. It is then baked, sprinkled with golden toasted almond slices and dusted with icing sugar! Totally Yum and very moreish. They are very rich though, so it is very hard to eat more than two at any one time! :P

Femme is the perfume equivalent of that gateaux confectionary. It is very french, elegant
    and refined but in the experience totally lush, mouthwatering, and full flavoured but never overblown or cloying. The peach, prune and cinnamon top notes immediately set your mouthwatering, the Grasse jasmine, Damascene Rose and Ylang-ylang of the mid notes are all at their most 'fondant' - dense, rich, creamy and the oakmoss, sandalwood, amber & musk basenotes are divine on the skin with the whole leaving you smelling almost edible! ;)

Although classed as a fruity Chypre, Femme to me is also a gourmand delight which has much to teach the many brash vanilla / patchouli / caramel drowned gourmand fragrances of today.

A fantastic, underrated classic! J'adore! :-*[/size]

mrliberfarb's avatar

Jessica McClintock by Jessica McClintock

I guess you would consider this a flowery perfume, but it too powdery, and overwelming to be around. Please stay away from this one.

mrliberfarb's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

I'm not gonna make any friends by saying this... but I favor cool water over green irish tweed. I'm not sure which note it is, but green irish tweed simply has too much "green" for me, cool water is fresher. Save you're money, by cool water.