Fragrance Reviews from December 2005

Mario Justiniani
    Cuba Cuba

Nicole Miller for Men by Nicole Miller

As I said back on Dec 21, 2005
    (No wonder I'm credited with nearly 500 reviews--they keep disappearing into cyberspace)

Romantic, heartbreaking, bittersweet oriental
    21 December 2005

(There, I've done my good deed for the day)

Update 2009: This review was for the old ( Is 1994 ancient?) unreformulated juice. Not the new weak junk that vanishes in minutes.
    If you're lucky enough to score the old, the back of the box should read
    Contents: SD alcohol, fragrance, water, benzophenone-2
    80% volume
    Happy hunting!
    This would be a 5 star scent but the last phase of the drydown is harsh, a fault it shares with Minotaure. Still, for 5 hours of heaven, one may endure 15 min of hell. 4 stars.

(There, enough good deeds!)

21st December, 2005 (Last Edited: 16 February, 2012)

absynthium's avatar
    absynthium

L'Autre by Diptyque

simply glamorous ,irresistible ,magnificent i fell in love with this since the 1st time

absynthium's avatar
    absynthium

L'Eau by Diptyque

i tried this beautiful fragrance and i really went crazy for it,i found it gothic reminiscent of ancient times,i personally adore all the dyptique fragrances ,surely i will buy also this one cos i 've finished the little tester

abubakr_al-misky's avatar
    abubakr_al-misky

Dahn Al Oudh Moattaq by Ajmal

This description is not that of its name rather this is the description of Mukhallat dehn al oud al muattaq. This difference being that the dehn al oud is strictly agarwood, the mukhallat meaning "mixture" describes an attar of agarwood that is mixed with other ingrediants. The full name meaning , Mukhallat-Mixture, Dehn al oud-oil of agarwood, Muattaq-aged. This attar is Beautiful. The classic mixture of rose and agarwood is hard to put into words. The floral-citris of the Turkish rose and woody-anamalic of the aged high quality agarwood is a perfect blend of sweet and sour. Highly aromatic of herbs and rose yet deep and sensual musks and woods. A perfect blend of opposites. This attar is long lasting to the skin yet not annoying when used in rather large amounts "2 or 3 swipes of the dipstick". This attar by far is an arabian style attar that is far from being the same old smell as many of the mass marketed Arabian bakhoors (incense) and attars. The packaging is a little strange, it comes in a coffin looking box, and the 18ml. crystal bottle is noble and suites the perfume well and is very heavy. If you want to smell Arabian luxury and class in a somewhat affordable attar this is it. I highly recommend this attar.

22 December, 2005 (Last Edited: 01st July, 2008)

blah114's avatar
    blah114

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

I am not sure if this stinks.. or I love it. But it's very original and you WILL stand out when wearing it. The smell is not objectionable at all. It's simply strong and smells like mocha.. I have to say it's the most original scent I've smelled and I think women seem to love it. I noticed on the bottle the product is manufactured "for Thierry Mugler.." I wonder what mass-market company REALLY makes this stuff... I bet I would be disappointed to find out. I do recommend this, but it's most certainly a smell before you buy.. actually, you need to wear it for a few days before you buy.

conehead's avatar
    conehead

Vera Wang for Men by Vera Wang

That top note comes on strong.....and green. But when it dies, which for me is pretty quickly, the tobacco and sandlewood bass comes through. I just wish the base were a bit stronger, as it doesn't seem to have much in the way of sillage....

Sables by Annick Goutal

I like this scent very much. It's really warm and comforting. I love how the sharpness in combination with the warmth. It has a herbal quality which tones down the sweetness, at least for me. You'll have to apply lightly, or else it will be really heavy and annoying. And it lasts forever!

22 December, 2005 (Last Edited: 30th December, 2009)

Hugo Energise by Hugo Boss

I don't hate this. I like it better than hugo, the original version, which I really hate. Energize is a little bland and it doesn't last on me. this is not for me.

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

I really tried to like this, but it's so overly sweet. I don't think it's masculine, though my neighbour in the cinema was wearing it, unfortunately.

Gymeni's avatar
    Gymeni

Pink Sugar by Aquolina

A unisex fragrance? I think not. Pink Sugar is just that, purely feminine. Smells like cotton candy. A fun, enjoyable scent, especially suited for younger women in the summer.

gypsyspassion's avatar
    gypsyspassion

L'Eau par Kenzo by Kenzo

I loved this scent at first spray. Fresh, clean and very crisp. Truly like it's name it has a fluid-like quality. However, it dries down too quickly to something that reminds me of freshly ironed linen. I would recommend it as a first fragrance for a young girl. It's innocence is charming.

gypsyspassion's avatar
    gypsyspassion

Le Baiser du Dragon by Cartier

I admit the mystery of the dark potion named "The Kiss Of The Dragon" captivated my curiousity. Upon first whiff it reminded me of TABU by Dana that my Mother had used years ago. Last evening I had to satisfy my curiosity, so I went back to the Cartier counter and sprayed some on. Right off it was all about benzoin and amber. Very little amaretto and you really have to search for the gardenia. Suprisingly it dried down quickly to an inoffensive but what I like to call, "generic chemical smell". I much prefer the TABU for longevity if you compare them. I was expecting some mysterios oriental potion by the name, lineage and $350 "special Christmas bottle" price tag but was truly disappointed since 2 hours later the "Dragon" was dying.

Joe_Frances

Arlington by D.R. Harris & co.

When I first bought Arlington, I was disappointed with the weak staying power which I initially observed in the winter. After months in the drawer of neglect, some messenger angel must have whispered in my ear that I might try it in the summer. Lo and behold, in the summer it doesn't vanish in 20 minutes! It is surely a light clean fragrance, but it lasts for about four hours and can be detected by those in fairly close range. This is a very diplomatic fragrance, and a charming but introspective fragrance, if that descriptive can be used for cologne. It doesn't call attention to itself, and as a consequence, you smell clean and great, but people just think you are just a charming, bright guy who uses a nice soap with a distinctive citrus and fern aroma.

I apply the clear liquid liberally from the splash bottle (the only option) with no fear of a citation from the Air Quality people, and feel great when I leave the house. My wife, who rolls her eyes if I wear something too strong (Yardley Gentleman!!!), takes a big breath and wants to give me a kiss and hug as I go off wearing Arlington. Imagine that! I bet not even DR Harris wouldn't think Arlington is a "sexy" fragrance. Well, I highly recommend this for summer, or to anyone living in a warm climate. Arlington is the best argument I know for the proposition that some fragrances are simply best in certain seasons, and less good in others.

Joe

22 December, 2005 (Last Edited: 02 July, 2008)

Knize Ten by Knize

This is a warm, sensuous, almost decadent fin de siecle scent. It wouldn't work with very casual or sloppy dress, but would suit a dandy. I don't wear it to work, but it is great for the evening out, when one is motivated by hopes of romance or conquest

No. 89 by Floris

I wouldn't describe this as a soft fragrance. Maybe it does soften through the day, but if anyting, I would say it starts off rather tight. It is a fairly strong fragrance if worn too heavily. It is great, cool, complex frag best for warmer days IMHO. Very masculine, but not a barbershop fragrance. Subtle and cool is how I would describe it. One of my favorites for Spring and Summer.

Eau de Santal by Floris

Santal is warm and lightly sweet. An extremely refined mixture of fragrances. While the name may suggest sandalwood, there is none. It instantly moved to the top of my list. Today I noted that the scent was a pleasant companion for over seven hours. A happy day indeed.

jpovarin's avatar
    jpovarin

Jil Sander No. 4 by Jil Sander

i just discovered this, walking through a store. I put it on my wrists, and after drying it smelled fantastic! I was really pleased with the subtle jasmine, and peering moss. On me it smelled spicy and exotic.

kaos.geo's avatar
    kaos.geo

Beyond Paradise for Men by Estée Lauder

I just received this as a christmas gift.
    I love it, the top notes are fruity indeed, but the drydown reminds me of Lauder's own Pleasures for men. For me it's Pleasures for men minus the floral notes plus fuity top notes= Beyond Paradise Men...
    This is a keeper: a sexy summer scent.

Must de Cartier by Cartier

must de cartier at the opening smells like expired whisky, and dried down to a wood scent. it smells awful on me and strong wood scent doesn't make a woman feel feminine

Must de Cartier II by Cartier

if i could give 5 thumbs up, i would. the edp and edt seems to smell very different. edp has a stronger jasmin, in the middle note, and musky base note. the edt is more like soapy flowery. if you like no. 19, you would probably like the must ii edt. unlike must de cartier.. can pass for unisex with all that wood scent. the edp is so feminine, fruity flowery aquatic and musky.. so sexy my husband bought me this bottle because he loved it!

Must de Cartier Clair De Jasmin by Cartier

i was soo into the must collection although i don't like must, but i love must ii for that beautiful jasmin scent. therefore, i purchased this must de cartier clair de jasmin online without smell it, i thought i'd definetely love it, since jasmin was one of my favorite flower scent. well when the package arrived, i was soooo disappointed, because it smelled nothing like i expected, 'jasmin' rather, it smells like incense and incense.. and i wonder where that jasmin went.

Chance by Chanel

chanel chance i love you! you make me feel sweet and feminine. so sexy! my husband loves it too. i've got alot of compliment on it. i also like to mix chance, and vanilla apricot by Comptoir sud pacifique. it's even more sweet and powdery.

Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana

i don't love it, but since i collect perfumes, it can sit in my closet. it has a full bottle in it.. hardly ever would use it i think. anyways, top note with a very nice citrus, and blends to a soft flower scent. some what semi sweet, not too sweet. it's more of a summer fragrance. definetely not for winter.

Prada (new) by Prada

i think prada is sensual and it's so beautiful. it is very ambery and powdery, it's seductive! and yes, it can be unisex, but not for young men like before early 30's. prada does make this perfume for it's right target, but this fragrance on myself smells sexy and powdery and i love it.

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

i think what it attracts me at first sight was the bottle.. hardly ever seen a beautiful bottle like this one for men.. black cap, the top bottle (glass) looks black and blends down to the botton to green.. anyways, yes i agree with timothy, not to try this on paper, it smells great on skin. top note with a grapefruite citrus (smells great) with a little aroma-like scent. when the top note dissappears, the aroma... it's just such a sexy scent for men to be a men.
    p.s. for gentlemen ONLY! :)

Pot Pourri by Santa Maria Novella

When I first went to the SMN shop near SoHo in New York to purchase their wonderful shaving creme, I sampled Pot-pourri and thought it was terrible. Too strong, too petroleum like, and it was unimaginable that anyone would wear this. Having read the reviews here, however, I was very intrigued and went back. I put some on and went out to lunch. Ten minutes after application, the frag opened up to a magnificent incense like oriental spiced fragrance. Later in the day, I thought the scent had completely disappeared from my skin, but was occasionally present around me, a foot or more away. A little spooky. This is totally different from anything I have ever worn. It is challenging, and transformational in regard to first impressions and what one ultimate experiences. I am sure will be loved by some, hated by many; to me it simply unique and more than a bit challenging.

22 December, 2005 (Last Edited: 05 January, 2014)

czesc's avatar
    czesc

Eau de Camélia Chinois by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

excellent fragrance, fresh but also very elegant, its definatley not "light", its a heavy-fresh if that makes any sense. so far my favourite MPG although I haven't tried very many of them

Animale Animale for Men by Animale Parfums

the best fragance, very long-lasting in my skin and very sensualy, many times some, girls say me: uuuhhmmm you smell very good

Eau de Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

recently i buy the Grey Flannel (green bottle) but i like this version so much, is worderful better even in summer...y al amigo Juan Cordoba, lastima q no te la pueda enviar aqui en mi pais se encuenta facilmente y a un costo bueno en comparacion muchas otras

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

i don´t like talk bad about any perfume, but this is the first fragance by which i feel nauseous, i don´t know why...cause ironicaly i like the fragance..in others no in me