Fragrance Reviews from March 2005

cedriceccentric's avatar

Greenhouse by Demeter Fragrance Library

This was my first Demeter and I still like it very much. It's green yet very soft. There is even a moist effect. A very comforting vegetal scent.

dennis99's avatar

L'Anarchiste by Caron

I discovered this in a French department store and it was by far the most dominant and capturing fragrance I smelled. Up until the time that I purchased it (about 9 months later) it lingered in my mind as a romantic memory - this fragrance has lived up to my every expectation ñ it is absolutely wonderful!

Gerald's avatar

Germany Germany

Anice by Etro

One of the more "masculine" Etro fragrances. I really like it - it's a very natural, pure and yet warm fragrance. You put it on and just feel good - it's perfect for spring and summer.

Aramis by Aramis

This stuff is evil. Cloying, heavy and suffocating. How anyone would choose to wear this is beyond me. It's an anachronism and one that deserves to be consigned to history.

Armani Eau Pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

It's so subtle that if you don't look for it, you will miss the smell. I like it for nostalgic reasons as it was part of my mid teen years but these days it is so understated I ask myself why I bothered. The basil/bergamot topnote is gorgeous and the drydown of sandalwood whisper light but it has all the staying power of a lit match.

Blenheim Bouquet by Penhaligon's

A serious scent for serious occasions. This has an incredible pine topnote and an almost medicinal herbal drydown. Nice as an aftershave sharpener but as a cologne it lasts for approximately five minutes and doesn't quite cut it. Hell, I've smelt a few farts that have lingered longer.

English Fern by Penhaligon's

Fresh, green and incredibly classic. It's like a walk through wild english woodland after a spring shower. I'm not sure if there is any lavender in this but there is immediate herbaceous lavender topnote that simultaneously lifts and calms. This is nice stuff but a little too fresh for me.

Kiton Men by Kiton

Amazing fragrance. The first time I smelt this I thought 'Fahrenheit' as it has that balsamic floral quality. This is a very, very complex fragrance and one that says class and wealth. It just smells expensive in a way that other colognes cannot match. If the smell of cash is distilled down, this is what it smells of. There is a very peculiar drydown that hints of printer's ink. It really does smell like money, I kid you not. The rarity of this is no coincidence as it echoes the exclusivity of Kiton's suits. If you ever see this stuff, don't buy it. The fewer people wearing this the better.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

A modern classic, complex, fresh and totally unique. The only problem is that it is so damn ubiquitious. Walk into any nightclub in London and the smell of this and Joop hits you hard enough to cause brain damage. In essence it has become the signature fragrance of the 'chav'. Horrible fate for such an originally classy and unique scent.

Douro Eau de Portugal / Lords by Penhaligon's

This is a classic, a smell that is immediately evocative of Edwardian England at the height of summer. A clean, fresh and aristocratic scent that conjures up images of public schools, stately homes and cricket whites. The immediate fresh crispness of bergamot and lemons calms to leave a soapy woody musk scent not unlike an old fashioned barber shop, the hint of brilliantine lingering into the night. A ducal smelling cologne that is perfect for the well dressed and aristocratic bon viveur. It reminds me of Polo Crest and also Taylor's Royal Yacht. Definitely one of Penhaligon's greatest.

New West for Him by Aramis

My signature scent. This is gorgeous. Fresh yet warm. When I found out this was discontinued I bought all eight bottles from my local pharmacy and even snagged a jar of Glacial Gel and Pacific Coastal Body Wash. Aramis had bloody better relaunch this as it is a classic up there with regular Aramis (which is bloody awful BTW), Polo and Drakkar Noir. It is a throwback to the eighties and evokes palm trees, blue sky and Miami Vice. The packaging is as iconic as the scent itself. Whoever made the decision to kill this should be strung up and horsewhipped.

T for Him by Tommy Hilfiger

Quite simply a stunning scent. It's summertime in a bottle. Fresh laundry, lazy days in the garden, mown grass, fresh breezes with the scent of summer flowers in the air and the fizz of a cool lemonade on the table. TH has created a masterpiece that deserves it's place in any man's scent arsenal.

renzo's avatar

Versace l'Homme by Versace

a good fragrance, typical 80-ies....seems to me that in that period, u could easely know who's wearing what..they were all different..nowerdays, most of the perfumes look alike

renzo's avatar

Paul Smith London for Men by Paul Smith

reminds me of a softer version of Grey Flannel...bought it, used it 3 times, and don't think I ll wear it again...suits well if u wear a suit, and quiet distinctive, subtil drydown..

21st March, 2005 (Last Edited: 24 March, 2005)

Indie_Guy's avatar

Kouros Cologne Sport Eau d'Éte by Yves Saint Laurent

I'm a big admirer of Kouros (though I don't wear it out much). I'm also a huge fan of Kouros Cologne Sport (though I wear that one for myself as well- its kind of weird, yet IMO a masterpiece of contrasts). So in the interest of being a Kouros completist, I bought this one too- the Kouros Cologne Sport Eau D'Ete Summer Fragrance in the gradient blue bottle. It's much more mainstream than the standard Cologne Sport. It's got a nice tangerine and mint accord, and a "perfumey" note that is absent from the other. It does have a somewhat short longevity, but it's more like a refreshing tonic. It really wears well in high heat, and in the breeze. The Cologne Sport and this, the summer version, are very original scents, I haven't smelled anything remotely like them. Some people dislike them, and I can see why. Cologne Sport is like a white sheeted ghost, all arms up, saying boo. The summer version is just its laid back little brother, albeit with a nice tan.

Colors Uomo by Benetton

This is horrible. I really don't know anyone can wear this. I bought a bottle blind during a sale and have regretted it. This is heavy and foul and represents everything that was bad about the eighties fragrances. It could be classed in the same category as Fendi Uomo, Van Gils, Aramis and Antaeus. It smells really generic and synthetic. Avoid this one.

Fendi Uomo by Fendi

Gross. This is truly bad. It has no redeeming qualities other than the bottle. I am no fan of heavy, musky eighties perfumes except for Polo, Obsession and Antaeus and this one is truly generic and awful. Way too much leather and way too much musk. This will make you smell like a gorilla with BO. Great if you're Tarzan but not so great if you are out to woo the ladies with sophistication and subtlety. Had a large bottle given as a gift which I have not used and would gladly swap for something else, anything else, except this.

Very Sexy for Him by Victoria's Secret

A very, very special smell for me and one that holds exceptional memories. This is gorgeous and refined stuff. The initial topnote and basenote is the same as Tommy T with some hints of Eternity for men. In many ways, it is a sexier, more grown up version of T and under different circumstances could well have been marketed as T 'night' or T 'deep'. It resists overapplication better than any other scent I have come across yet lasts and lasts drying down to a sexy, fruity and almost musky smell. It is a bitch they don't sell this in the UK. If any of you know how I can get hold of this wonderful juice here, let me know. I just hope they continue to make this for many years to come.

smellitnow's avatar

Patchouli by Caswell-Massey

IMO one of the best patchouli based fragrances on the market. If you love the smell of real patchouli essential oil and you wanted to round it out nicely with a little refinement and better suited for everyday wear, this is the patchouli fragrance of your dreams

Griff's avatar

Griff's by Geparlys

Unremarkable. A trifle gourmand, like a low contrast A*men. Sweet and cloying. Ugh. But with that name, HOW could I resist?
    Griff

23 March, 2005

Axel_F.'s avatar

Premier Figuier by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I love it.... a great summer scent

cazaubon's avatar

Angel Garden Of Stars - Violet Angel by Thierry Mugler

I really liked this one - it is similar to Serge Lutens Bois de Violette without all the wood and without the nasty helional note that gives me that rotten melon smell from the regular Angel.

Coriolan by Guerlain

Sour smelling and nauseating. This is a disgustingly bad scent. It gave me a headache after a few minutes. It comes as no surprise it has been discontinued.

jemil's avatar

Denmark Denmark

Boss Soul by Hugo Boss

Quite close to Tel Quel by Yves Rocher!

paulusjm's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Jules by Christian Dior

This is absolutely the finest male fragrance ever created, I bought the first bottle back in the early eighties in Utrecht, and never met another fragrance which had such a great impact on me as this unique jewel.
    Hard to get these days, I'm affraid.
    Paul van Ooyen, the Netherlands

pottlegirl's avatar

Poivre by Caron

I can't believe I haven't reviewed my favorite Caron! I first encountered Poivre in the Mad Ave boutique a year and a half ago. I had gone in to see if I could sample the d/c extrait of Parfum Sacre (did! they still had a tester although it was not for sale) and to try Nuit de Noel. I was drawn to the urns, and took my time sniffing around. They were all nice, but when I got to Poivre, I *had* to try it on my arm. And once it dried, after sniffing ecstatically for 10 minutes, I *had* to make a really expensive impulse buy. Poivre is so good though that I rarely feel guilty. It starts out with a hot peppery clove note that mellows into a warm spicy carnation, pepper, spice, and vanilla aura. Poivre manages to be unique and innovative, but classic and classy, an of course (to me) downright sexy. I have also come to love Bellodgia, which is a much cooler carnation scent, and Coup de Fouet, the edt version of Poivre (not as warm but still nice)

24 March, 2005 (Last Edited: 31st March, 2006)

selim's avatar

Liù by Guerlain

very similar to chanel n 5

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Well unfotunatly if there is one scent on earth that my body will reject just by a very light scillage this is the one and same for the women version.
    Nothing to do with Mr Mugler but I just can not agree with that one, it is like a bad mussel.
    Sorry but this is my only thump down.
    laurent

25 March, 2005 (Last Edited: 12 September, 2005)

Antaeus by Chanel

ANTAEUS is in my opinion the most beautiful perfume ever created

The Rolls Royce of perfumery is beautifull in so many facettes - closer it does contain some passion of lust !!!

Magestic but on the verge of a growling animal on heat - you will be noticed !!!

Mr Polge I do bow - when watching the movie PERFUME, Antaeus could be the one to make a crowd go on their knees and take their clothes off.

No words can describe this POTION - this is a Masterpiece.

In its black mystical bottle it take a second to unleash the beast - be warned !!!!

A Masterpiece !!!!

3.14................................. thumbs up

25 March, 2005 (Last Edited: 10th March, 2010)

Captain Molyneux by Molyneux

What a shame that this is discontinued.
    It did smell of the sea it was too light I must say but an incredible invention GOOD BY

25 March, 2005 (Last Edited: 12 June, 2005)