Fragrance Reviews from June 2005

ISmellGood's avatar

Grabazzi by Gendarme

Over-rated stuff. Very Subtle on my skin.Drydown is similar to Monsieur Musk, which at a fraction of a cost is much more complex and has tons of more sillage.

01st June, 2005

CoL's avatar

Ananas Fizz by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Oh I love this one! Pineapple and cocnut without smelling like a pina colada! Lasts forever and still keeps its "fizz" all the way through! Yumsters!

eric's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

A must have in your wardrobe.Classic and timeless. It has been relaunched in 2005,luckily the juice remains the same.

MikeFromManhattan's avatar

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Habit Rouge was my signature scent in the mid- 80's and I recently rediscoved it in Bergdoff Goodman.
    It has become my current favorite fragrance out of the many I own. I use it with the bath products and I spray it on around 8:00am. It is still going strong when I get home 10 hours later.
    And I never found it feminine as some people say, although it may seem so on a cardboard or from the bottle. It needs to be sprayed on the skin for the masculine leather note to come out.
    It is the number 3 selling men's fragrance in France, so that really says something.

Prof_S's avatar

New York by Nicolaï

Magnificent! In the 1994 edition of his perfume guide, Luca Turin awarded a "heart" (his highest mark of approval) to New York, so I tried it. I agree with the parallel that Isabelle noticed with Jicky. Both have fairly sweet Oriental bases beautifully disguised behind bergamot and herbs and (in New York) a bit of something woody. I do not find the citrus notes to be either dominant or long lasting. New York persists well; traces remain the next day. Turin was right in one other regard: You donít easily grow tired of this fragrance. In cool weather, I use more of this scent than any other.
    I find that this juice requires careful handling. If partial evaporation has occurred (e.g., in the nozzle of a long-unused sprayer or in a cheap plastic vial), New York can become unrecognizably cloying. So, waste a squirt or two before application, or you may hate it. Handled right, it is hard not to love.

beau_sillage's avatar

Ambre Précieux by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Like opening the door of a Victorian dressing room, an opulent amber sweetend with vanilla intoxicates the nose. Yes, intoxicates is indeed the word, tigrushka!

03 June, 2005 (Last Edited: 09 June, 2005)

Balmain de Balmain by Pierre Balmain

Classicism, elegance, feminity, sensuality. Rather for more mature women.
    FRAGRANCE NOTES - Bergamot, Galbanum, Pepper, Blackcurrant Buds, Jasmine, Rose, Iris, Patchouli, Oakmoss, Sandalwood, Vetiver.
    My husband's favorite (when I am wearing it, of course!)
    Like all really good perfumes, at its best after at least one hour of wearing.
    All year round perfume, except for real summertime.

Jardins de Bagatelle by Guerlain

My absolute favorite since it was available in 1983.. A first impression of roses. Gives a delicious powdery, 'clean' smell after wearing it for several hours.Both romantic and distinguished.

Mayotte / Mahora by Guerlain

Pity this scent is discontinued. I liked for the winter. On a well warmed up skin, wearing pure wool, it's very sweet and 'warm', catching the whole person. LIke most Guerlain scents, you should were it for several hours to appreciate its fullness.

Par Amour by Clarins

Mainly benzoin, roses and sandalwood.
    Powerful, longlasting, warm and yet fresh. Quite original scent to me, particularly because of the benzoin. Yet I would not wear it everyday, though I like it.

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

I think the exact name is 'Un jardin sur le Nil'.
    I just tried it: very fresh and remarkably longlasting. Green mango and grapefruit. A touch of woodiness, sycomoretree. Very original. Perfect summertime perfume.

jfrater's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Everytime I smell this in the shop I think it stinks; but then I read the comments here and thought I would try it on my skin. That was two hours ago - I think it is probably my new favourite EDT! I can't believe it! Don't judge it by the tester card!

laurent's avatar

Rafting by Galimard

Rafting is a great great scent very fresh, flowery and green.
    Not a copy cat but a real creation that is beautifull in all stages of the perfume's life.
    In every stages (from top notes to base notes)it leaves beautifull marks in the air and on the skin. After an hour It smell like fresh river water mixed with mild flowers quiet unusual.
    It does stay on the skin vey well no need to re apply, probably because of the traditional craft used fot its creation.
    Dont be fooled by the simple looks of the bottle or the presentation its not in your face presentation but the products is SUPERBE QUALITY a soap can but purchased great lather and quality. A one litter bottle can be purchased directly from Grasse for the price of a 100ml labelled cologne in your local shop. (postage to be added)
    In conclusion this is to me the real thing direct from the perfume capital the oldest perfume house since 1747 mixing oils from one the best "Nose" in the world you can smell the difference.
    The pyramide advertised here is wrong there is no mandarin but green notes in the top notes.
    There is no lilac in the middle notes but rose wood,there is no hyacinth in the base notes but ambre. (I do have the galimard catalogue to compare with).
    Enjoy.

Blend 30 by Dunhill

The Baron de Charlus once informed me: 'Concerning Dunhill's Blend 30, two questions presnt themselves implacably to my mind: (1) Why is this fragrance so fleeting? (2) Why does it bear the faint aroma of someone breaking wind after eating too many eggs? It is possible to evolve several hypotheses to account for these unfortunate results but it would be too tedious to pursue them. Suffice to say, I am disappointed by this much lauded liquid.'

Jaguar Mark II by Jaguar

Deep, deep woods, powerful, poetic, brooding, enigmatic, unique. Sticking my neck out, I would call this the equal of any of the woody creations of exalted Houses like Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier, Comme des Garcons, Comptoir Sud Pacifique or L'Artisan.
    A little goes a long way. Classed as an eau de toilette, its strength resembles that of an eau de parfum or even a pure perfume. This is fortunate, since, being discontinued, it is hard to obtain a bottle. But you can still find 5 ml. miniatures from the likes of Dutyfreeperfume or Perfumechoice - and a miniature is all you will need, since a drop is all you will need.
    Hardly an everyday fragrance, but fine for special occasions or a connoisseur's private moments of delight. Every fragrance aficionado should try it.

03 June, 2005 (Last Edited: 19 October, 2006)

Kouros Fraîcheur by Yves Saint Laurent

This was the lecture that the Baron de Charlus delivered to the Society of Perfumes in Paris on the subject of Kouros Fraicheur: 'Messieurs and mesdames, I hear that this strange cousin of Kouros retreated to the deep Grecian woods and there established his hermitage. The inevitable Kouros smells of goats, sex, and barbarism were as ever in evidence, but now they were tempered with the mossy water from the cousin's well and the foliage and minerals from the damp ground of his grotto. It lent a mystery that was both raw and abstract. He lived there alone for many a year until at last a beautiful princess came and claimed him for her own, seduced by his strange perfume.'

New York by Nicolaï

The opening is strong and almost too sharp and shares, as one perceptive reviewer has commented, some notes with that fine scent Bowling Green. But the true wonder of Nicolai's New York is in its development. We tend to think of citrus as clean, sharp, bracing. But New York underwrites this with warm, sweet,seductive, sophisticated, mysterious tones that are quite ravishing in their way. In spite of partial affinities with Bowling Green, this is fairly unique and a bit of a wonder. A sort of 'citrus-oriental'? Very layered, suave and luscious.

Nicolaï pour Homme by Nicolaï

It opens, quite bitter and minty, somewhere to the exotic left of Azzaro Pour Homme. It continues down this path: cool, enigmatic, with almost a sense of elegant melancholy as the previous reviewer has so aptly observed. A deep and sober scent, highly poetic and evocative ... but of what? Death, regret, loss, age, time itself? There seems to be a sort of 'Creed notes' about the final developments.

Eau de Vétyver by Le Jardin Retrouvé

The Baron de Charlus once delivered a lecture to the Society of Perfumes in Paris on the subject of Vetyver-Vanille by Le Jardin Retrouve. 'Messieurs and mesdames,' he began, 'indulge me while I engage in another of my impressionistic rambles. Alphonse and Eugenie, you know, the children at the picnic, how they are full of delight on this beautiful summer's day! Creaking hay carts, waving branches, easy majesty of summer. Bitter vetiver, sweet vanilla. Hand in hand they go. Mama and Papa are sipping champagne. The children are hiding in the tall grass of the meadow. Sunlight, shadows and confectionary. Bitter vetiver, sweet vanilla. Little do they know that they will carry this scent with them, this secret poem of childhood, half remembered, through their whole lives - like some deep forgotten yearning.'

Ren's avatar

Happy for Men by Clinique

It's my most worn fragrance, for sure - but 9 times out of 10 I layer it with something else. At opening, it's very sharp and somewhat spicy, but then after about 2 hours it mellows down into the most delicious citrus I've ever tried. It becomes so smooth and sensual that you just want to lick your wrists. Reminds me of vacation at the beach as a child. Only downside is that the longevity is really poor unless you layer it with something else, or keep refreshing. It will stay on your pulse points for at least 8 hours, but it doesn't project very much (unless you're overheating) after about 2-3 hours.

Ren's avatar

Zegna by Ermenegildo Zegna

I'd also like to say that I thought Essenza di Zegna was MUCH, MUCH better.

Mushroomhead's avatar

Axe Kilo by Axe / Lynx

Oh My God yesterday at school 3 girls asked my what I was wearing. I was like Axe, Kilo. They were like hey wear it tomorow, so i did. All the sudden all of there friends were sniffing me (blush) but they all said it smells good not to heavy like the other axe products. I totaly recommend this product, and when they say, "Caution regular use of this product may cause close incounters", you better belive it.

stra6ko's avatar

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

It might be "too popular", but it's classic! And nobody uses it nowadays:)

stra6ko's avatar

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

It's a great cologne. Perfect for evening use, especially in a night club. It is quite strong, so it will make people turn their heads after you. It's Chanel:)

Cronos's avatar

Carven Homme by Carven

Had never heard of the fragrance before, but that changed because of the Basenotes forum, so I bought it blind. Glad I did, because this is gorcheous! Like the other ones already said very smooth and warm, but not cloying. It last a long time too. A very underrated and distinguished fragrance.

05 June, 2005

ExianNYC's avatar

Scent Intense by Costume National

It has a fascinating unique note I can only describe as olive tapenade. Wild. I love it.

Hennepin's avatar

Douro Eau de Portugal / Lords by Penhaligon's

Perhaps my all time favorite scent. A powerful lemon note combines with musk and wood. A tremendous citrus scent with lots of staying power.

isin's avatar

Déclaration by Cartier

I would follow a man down the street, that's how good it smells

isin's avatar

L'Essence de Déclaration by Cartier

Please tell me where to get it, it's the best (artificial) smell you can sniff on your mate

twistnflip's avatar

Eau Parfumée au Thé Blanc by Bulgari

A grown-up version of my jr. high school favorite, white musk by Body Shop. But Bulgari does it better. I love it, but I tend to like more masculine scents. Not sure how most men would react to this on a woman.