Fragrance Reviews from August 2005

access's avatar

Bel Ami by Hermès

Great scent. last all day and get many compliments. Wear it at office or out on town. Truly, a masculine scent

01st August, 2005 (Last Edited: 03rd August, 2005)

Champs-Elysées by Guerlain

This is actually my wife's signature scent. Very light floral with some fruity top-notes. Although very light, this fragrance seems to last. Not extremely muti-dimensional, but a very good, basic fragrance.

Héritage by Guerlain

Absolutely stunning fragrance. Bold, woody, spicy, warm, and long-lasting. What more could a gentleman ask for in his fragrance? The EDP is a bit more floral than the EDT, and so I prefer the EDT myself. But either way, you cannot go wrong with Heritage! Definitely the signature of a refined gentleman.

Jicky by Guerlain

WHile I find Jicky to be a very unique and intriguing scent, I have the same problem with it that I would have with a mink coat: very glamorous, but where would I wear it? It also has a bit of an identity crisis, because it comes off as a feminine scent at certain parts of its drydown, and then a more masculine facet shines through. Nevertheless, it is extremely well-made and, whether worn by feminine or masculine, a joy to smell.

flathorn's avatar

Tiffany by Tiffany

This used to be my signature scent for years, until I realized my Holy Grail would probably be something a little less floral. But I still have the highest regard for it, and wear it to bed some nights as a comfort scent, because the rose/jasmine accord heartnote makes me feel wonderful. It's a rich floral obviously made with high quality ingredients. It never had a synthetic off-note during the 10 years I wore it, and the prominent jasmine/rose accord is rich, authentic, smooth, and luxurious - I believe it must possess a high percentage of these two expensive natural ingredients. I would classify this as a luxury floral/floriental - complex, one to give for a lifetime, and make a signature scent - a true classic, in both construction and quality. Note: this is a classic floral bouquet - it doesn't have the newer sweet, patchouli, or gourmand notes.

ilnaso's avatar

Sentiment for Men by Escada

I found this fragrance too fruity at first but the dry-down is incredible! It has the perfect blend of pepper and vetiver. Any product with pepper and vetiver is a sure hit! One of the few that I constantly get compliments on! Also one of the few that actually stays on me for more than an hour! I heard its being discontinued though!! Can not believe that...can anyone dispel this rumor??

incedal's avatar

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

Smells heavy at first but than settles down to something fresh, this is different to all other popular scents that smell like each other too sweet or to feminin.

Jjzerby's avatar

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

I think this is one of Givenchy's best along w/
    Gentlemen. I also think it smell similar to B-Men
    (Which Is A Good Thing.)I'd recommend it.At first
    it will smell like choclate,that will fade. I put it on about 7:45am & I can still smell it,It's about 1:50pm. Pick it up when you can.

Jjzerby. St.Paul,MN USA.

juan's avatar

Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger

no matter how popular this is its still one of the best and longest lasting in the game

juan's avatar

True Star Men by Tommy Hilfiger

tops no doubt about it just smell so clean and those wet notes hit the spot just right for texas wearher a perfect 10.

lilypaddles's avatar

Vintage Gardenia with Cardamom & Myrrh by Jo Malone

When I first became scent obsessed (a few years ago), and before trying 100s and 100s of samples, I thought I liked gardenia, but changed my mind ... until this rendition. It is mostly gardenia, but has other ingredients blended in to give it a kick, that make this a very pretty and soft scent. Very wearable, very dainty. This is my favorite Jo Malone scent (so far). I can detect the tuberose, and the incense. The sandalwood is not dominate to my nose. Lasting power is about 5-6 hours (which is average on me).

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Dolce and Gabbana Pour Homme is one of my signature scents, except for in the summer when I believe it can become a little nauseating (take into account summer here can easily reach 40 degrees C or higher).

It is quite masculine smelling and has O.K. lasting power on my skin. I think this fragrance suits all age groups. However I think it is a particularly good choice for young people as it’s different from most of the other scents popular among young people like Issey Miyake PH and AdG etc. It is however still a fairly popular scent so if you want to be unique you should take that into account.

Others have said it’s popular among the girls and I can confirm this as it was complimented by my chick friends the first time I wore it. It's not too strong nor is it too weak, I think its about the right strength for being noticed but not offending even if you have a slightly heavy trigger finger. Others have said it’s very strong so I guess it varies depending on your skin, so your mileage may vary.

I think this scent can be worn on a fairly casual basis and its also great for more formal occasions. If you do chose to wear this one in summer I think it would defiantly be a better evening scent.

Overall I think it’s a very classy scent so it gets a thumbs up from me :)

Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

A nice formal fragrance. When used in excess it can be quite burning (spicy) and dry to the nose, which not a nice experience! If you are a bit heavy on the trigger finger don’t worry about it too much, I find that this scent does not project too much, so you will be the only one suffering. The fragrance has good staying power (EDT) even when used sparingly.

It is quite a clean and spicy smelling scent which is better for formal occasions than everyday use IMHO. It is fairly classy smelling, generally not something I wear with most t-shirts. I think it is better suited to older rather than younger people but I still wear it and don’t find it too old smelling (I’m 19).

Pure Cédrat by Azzaro

I find Pure Cédrat has a faitly nice and energising aroma. It does smell a lot like lemon peel at a close range but so long as I dont put the sprayed area my nose right up to my nose, it's fine. When lightly appied I think it would make a nice and fresh summer scent. To my nose there is a hint of grapefruit too.

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

This scent generated $100 million in US sales ALONE last year. And it shows-EVERYBODY wears this stuff. It's a decent scent, but it's so widely used that you might as well try something else. Go into a big city on the train, and you're sure to smell Acqua di Gio. Better yet, go to your local department store. Ask them what the best-selling men's fragrance is at their store, and they're sure to say "Acqua di Gio". After all, look at those sales figures...

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

I was surprised by this scent, but, then again, I'm a big fan of the designs of this Italian jeweler. (Cadillac Escalade and XLR gauges, anyone?) To my nose, it's a very clean, understated, and subtle scent. Lasts quite a while on me, too.

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Ughhh. This stuff brings new meaning to the words "toilet water". It smells like a dirty, poorly disinfected public bathroom. Why, oh why did Mr. Yves Saint Laurent, a man of impeccable taste, greenlight this fragrance? Better yet, why, oh why is it still YSL's best-selling men's fragrance today?

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Well, the name sounds like a high-performance BMW, but what do you expect when it was commissioned by a guy whose last name was Ford? That said, this is one of my favorite fragrances, especially for winter wear. It's a very deep, woody scent with amazing sillage. The only problem: it's increasingly hard to find here in the US. Ugh.

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

BREAKING NEWS: Armani does it again with another blockbuster, as Armani Black Code, months after launch, becomes the #2-selling men's fragrance in the US. Film at 11. OK, sales statistics aside, this IS a very good fragrance. It is well crafted and unique, something you might expect from the House of Armani. But, I have to give it a neutral rating since, well, it's starting to get overused. Then again, what else do you expect from Armani?

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

This is the "anti-Acqua di Gio" marine scent. It's more complex, "waterier", and simply a far better fragrance. Love the bottle, too...like a bubble in the sea...

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

As a fan of other Thierry Mugler products, particularly AngelMEN and Mugler Cologne, I gave this a try shortly after it came out. Wouldn't you know it-Mugler impresses again. It is unusual to say the least, as it's a mix of woody, fruity, and spicy notes. I especially like wearing this on rainy days.

Ambre Précieux by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Incredible. I actually keep getting up to stick my nose in the bottle even though I'm wearing it and have had it for months. A touch feminine and very soft, but woodsy as well. Think of MPG's Santal Noble as the ambery wood and this as the woodsy amber

Eau des Îles by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Thought this one was strange at first, but then, as the finer things that are acquired tastes often do, it grew on me. Coffee, chocolate what else...philosophically could be from the Comptoir Sud Pacifique mens line but exhibits all the characteristic depth & refinement of an MPG classic. Le choix du Les Exotiques!

Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain

One of 3 mens Guerlains I use including Eau Imperiale & L'Instant. Of the 19th century if technically 5 years shy; warm, soft, comfortable and mature. So appropriatly named as it smells just like a clean handkerchief (perhaps pocket square is more apt)

Santal Noble by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Incredible. I actually keep getting up to stick my nose in the bottle even though I'm wearing it and have had it for months. Dry and warm, with coffee and vanilla present as well. Think of MPG's Santal Noble as the ambery wood and their Ambre precieux as the woodsy amber

Marilyn Blue by Andy Warhol

This perfume makes a great collection item as it is like owning a piece of art created by Andy Warhol. What's interesting is, this smells really really similar to Flower by Kenzo! It's really powdery and floral.

Blu pour Homme by Bulgari

Blv is such a contrasting scent as Bvlgari markets it as. It is harden to define whether this is a summer or a winter scent as it happens to be both cold and warm at the same time. It's really unique due to its ginger note which surprisingly gives a great spice to this fragrance making it more attractive. I personally love the dry down which reminds you of a luxury soap. It sure smells clean!

Jeans Couture Man by Versace

The bottle and the juice does not really match! From the look of the bottle, you would expect something really loud and heavy, but the actual fragrance is ligt mossy green scent. The longevity is a bit of a problem, I cannot detect it within few minutes...The bottle will bring some interesting sparkle to your collection though.

cK one Summer by Calvin Klein

Calvin Klein seems to like 'organge' notes in his fragrances these days. CK One summer 2005 also has the orange note that is found in Crave. I personally don't mind this although many seem to dislike Crave. In comparison CK One Summer is fruiter and more floral than Crave and I guess it will be great on a hot summer day.

Paris Hilton for Men by Paris Hilton

Paris Hilton for men...Firstly it definately hits the target market. The scent is light and fruity making it perfect for the younger audience. I personally love it as I'm young but it feels that many are resisiting this simply because it's "Paris Hilton" and just the celebrity endorsed product creates a notion of embarrassment. Yet, if you enjoy light and fruity scents that are never so offensive, eg Reaction by Kenneth Cole and L'eau Par by Kenzo, the chances are you will love this cologne too.