Fragrance Reviews from August 2005

henri345que's avatar

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Very cool, deep and long lasting. Its a great fragance datings or parties.

Vetiver by Guerlain

I like the guerlain vetiver,blast of lemon and woods out of the bottle,the quality is good and lasts a long time,the drydown reminds me of laundry detergent,smells just like it,cant remember which one,think it was when I was overseas.

jkchan's avatar

Hang Ten for Him by Hang Ten

By far the most revolting fragrance I've ever smelled. Worse than body odor. It has no complexity, no freshness, no personality, and no crispness. It has no redeeming qualities at all. Nauseating.

jw1rn1's avatar

Green Tea by Victor

This is one of the best scents I have ever worn. It is crisp and clean. I also have an emotional attchment as it was the last thing my father bought me before he suddenly passes away.

Gap Blue No. 655 Him by Gap

It's not bad. I used to really, really like it and now I think it's just ok. Nothing terribly special, definately smells like something that would sell. Kind of a pungent, slightly woody young man's cologne.

CoL's avatar

Index Tobacco Caramel by Fresh

Supereb "luscious" fragrance. Quite subtle and very longlasting. Kinda has this "moist cake" feel to it. Very different yet still very easy to wear. Highly recomended!

desmondpereira's avatar

Lagerfeld Classic by Lagerfeld

I recently re-purchased this wonderfully classic '70s scent as a reminder of my youth and lo and behold; I was stunned to realise what a potent, sexy and masculine fragrance Lagerfeld Classic is all about.

I'm loving it all over again!

glorious1's avatar

Dior Addict by Christian Dior

I didn't like this one at all when I first tried it. Thought it actually smelled cheap. I just actually gave it a good run today and I'm amazed and shocked at myself. I REALLY like it. I've heard that it's a linear fragrance...not too sure but I guess it doesn't change all that much. I don't find it too strong to my nose but that doesn't mean that other people don't when I walk by?! I feel expecially sexy in this one. Even though it's summer and hot as can be I still enjoyed it. The bourbon smell mixed with the vanilla is great....I think I love that Night Queen Flower and I usually love a fragrance with orange in it. I think it could turn out to be a favorite of mine. I can see how very addictive it is...I'd LOVE to have the body cream! I'm expecting lots of compliments as this one gets them so I've heard....Gloria

Byblos Uomo (original) by Byblos

A power scent for me. Very professional and alluringly clean. Not strong per se but wickedly fresh! It is not like they typical fruity sweet scents predominant in the marketplace. A must have for the intrigue this arouses.

DKNY Men (original) by Donna Karan

I revised my earlier score of 2 both in terms of the rating and the longevity of the cologne. The bottle is a loser however. Problem with designers is that they fail to use common sense: I have broken two bottles because of the inherent design flaw insofar as to the instability of the bottle.

Grass Oil for Men by Jovan

This is not the typical drugstore scent (where I found it the first time two decades ago). Whatever caused Jovan or the parent company Coty/Lancaster Group to shut this scent down was such a mistake they should kick themselves in the a&* and repeatedly recite incantations of their collective idiocy. "Andron" and "Grass Oil" should still be out in the market.

FlowerbyKenzo by Kenzo

I love this one, but love more Flower Le Parfum.
    This version is available in three sizes 15ml - just a drop - because of its fluid texture, 50 ml - standard perfume, and 75 ml - satin skin spray - dry oil texture. Great coctail of Bulgarian Rose,Parma Violet,Vanilla,White Musk,Almond and Amber.

14th August, 2005 (Last Edited: 26th September, 2005)

Kenzo pour Homme Fresh by Kenzo

Now it's available in 30, 50, 100 ml in the new packaging. Fresh, perfect for summer time.

SummerbyKenzo by Kenzo

It really smells like summer, or sun on the skin. Nice and easy to wear.

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

Givenchy pour Homme and Blue Label are great creations, and I have to say that I expected more. Very Irresistible for Men is too simmilar to Xeryus Rouge, actaully, it's like combination of XR and Allure.

LoneFish's avatar

Contradiction by Calvin Klein

This scent is very sweet to me, and slightly fruity. I know not everybody appreciates this but I find it very appealing. It's not cloying at all but it certainly feels sweet. I find the smell very soothing, and also refreshing. It's the kind of scent I want to put on after taking a shower. On another note, the magnetic bottle is the coolest thing ever.

LoneFish's avatar

Black for Her by Kenneth Cole

I love this scent a lot. . . it smells like its name, very dark and mysterious, but to me it's not overwhelming. Too much of it can give you a headache but just the right amount smells beautiful, to me. And I personally think it has a beautiful drydown. I'll even leave the room I sprayed it in, come back hours later, and ask myself "what's that wonderful smell?" only to remember KC Black. Perhaps not the most original scent but it certainly is distinctive and quite nice.

moonrat's avatar

Open by Roger & Gallet

The opening notes seem to remind me of Francesco Smalto pour Homme, not exactly, but very similar with that almost germicidal or disinfectant smell at the start. It then dries down to a much deeper and heavy scent. A very masculine 70’s and 80’s style scent. Seems more of a cold/cool weather style of fragrance.

Baïmé by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Fantastic. I don't think I've ever come across something so unique before. At first, the herbs seem foreign and unusual, but in no time you will feel surrounded in this amazing garden. Green herbs with fresh air and the sun beating down on you, warming your cool skin - this is the feeling I get. It's fresh like a spring morning and warm like an exotic island at the same time. Very, very special. And I find that I enjoy it more and more each time I wear it. It's probably more suited for formal events, just because it's so beautiful that it could probably be spoiled by wearing it with jeans. It's not quite light, but it's not heavy either. It has a presence but not a musky, room filling obnoxious type of presence; it has great sillage that will get noticed as you pass by. My favorite MPG that I've come across so far. It's not super long lasting, but long enough to not bother me. I get around 7 hours out of it. I have no idea why one of the reviewers called it "bug spray", I see nothing at all in this fragrance that's reminiscent of bug spray. I bought a sample on eBay and now I'm going to buy a bottle. It's really fantastic!! Give it a try!

Millésime Impérial by Creed

Immensely pleasant. I like it! However, I agree that it's not very strong, and I think it has a bit of a feminine drydown. At first it seemed a little one dimensional to me, but on a second wearing I detected more. It's very similar to SMW, it has that same instantly recognizable basenote that is found in almost all of the Creed fragrances but is especially strong in both MI and SMW. Since I already own SMW I don't think I'll buy this, as they're too similar to warrant the $200 pricetag. But an exceptional fragrance nevertheless!

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

Wow!! This is a very unique fragrance. (I haven't tried Le Dandy, so I don't know how these compare. To my nose, it's unique.) There are definately some notes in here I've never seen in any other fragrance. It starts off smelling like a beautiful blend of sweet and woody. The first thing that popped into my head was "campfire". You can almost smell s'mores, sweet like marshmallow and graham cracker but you can tell there's a wood burning fire in the background. There's also a bit of fruit in the background, but not sweet fruit, more like date and fig.

skwak's avatar

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

I bought this blindly when I read that it was a better version of Weekend by Burberry. Unfortunately, that is not the case, and now I'm left with a bottle of cologne I only mildly like.

skyline42's avatar

Nautica Competition (new) by Nautica

not bad, but nothing special

wicozani's avatar

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

Sir, either you're wearing your rubber latex underwear again, or you've spilled a considerable amount of Russian Caravan tea on your person. As usual, my valet had a point, for these were my thoughts as well, but the truth was that I was trying a new fragrance again for the hundredth time, [b]Bulgari Black[/b]. I was prepared to be startled, but it wasn't as bad as I thought, certainly more tolerable than that headache-inducing CDG2 Man. The resemblance to black rubber latex mixed with vanilla is unmistakable, but after a while you also begin to appreciate the smoky tea note. At this point, if you're a tea lover like my valet or I, Russian Caravan will spring to mind, as opposed to Lapsang Souchong. The Lady of the house is traveling presently, and this is a scent that I shall need her approval to wear anything other than very discretely. For this reason it must deal with a neutral rating for the time being.

Wicozani

wicozani's avatar

One Man Show by Jacques Bogart

Sir, if I may, that is as aggressive and odorous a scent as I've known you to wear. So spoke my valet to me today. I replied, "Well, you've a point, for I just received a big bottle and am trying it out, and the exceedingly sharp opening note, replete with incense, is certainly assaulting my our noses." One Man Show is aptly named, for there is probably exactly ONE man who is madly in love with this scent. The very forward bergamot and incense is, unfortunately, also joined by one of the strongest soapy characteristics imaginable. It's not exactly cloying, for it basically knocks you out straight out of the bottle. Even if on first trying you actually like this, I would recommend a very spare application.

Wicozani

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

fahrenheit smells nice had a small bottle,wore it out,havn't bought it again,thought about it like an old love affair,
    you had your chance,I'm with spazio now.
    R-

Spazio Krizia Uomo by Krizia

I agree with jens,only the good die young,can't believe they would discontinue such a great fragrance,I like this house two thumbs up,very nice drydown,long lasting.
    I got this from an online store,I ordered the original krizia,they sent 100ml of this by mistake,thanks for turning me on to this one,one of my favs.

MacCOOL's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Alegria Hombre by Adolfo Dominguez

Nothing extra ordinary with this scent. However, its very comfortable to wear. Clean, fresh and unassuming. It doesn't last that long though on my skin. Buy it if you can get a good deal.

milamber's avatar

In Leather Man by Etienne Aigner

Sometimes I have to ask what drives the fascination with leather and leather scents. Is it something passed down to us from the age of the caveman? Leather after all must be one of the oldest clothing materials. Is it then a distant memory passed down through our genes of a time when we walked around wrapped in leather, hunting mammoths during the last Ice Age?

Where masculinity is concerned, leather is closely tied with the male ego. Many symbols of masculinity are made from leather – holsters, saddles, boots, jackets, you name it, if its made of leather, it can effectively convey the masculine ideal. Leather just oozes machismo in a refined, suave way. The link with the sexual is also worth exploring. Is there anything more sexy than a lady in leather or a man in a leather racing biker jacket. What was the one accessory that made Neo so sexy in The Matrix? You guessed it, the leather and black shades.

But what is it about the smell of leather that just evokes a sense of mystery, darkness and crossed boundaries? There’s just something so dark and alluring about it that’s hard to resist. So many scents manage to capture this aspect of leather. I hear Knize Ten does it very well indeed and so does the classic range offered by the Pierre Cardin Centaure series, especially Cuir Fougere, Chanel’s Antheus and Trussardi Uomo, all offer variations of the sexy leather theme. These classics truly capture the opulent, aromatic nature of leather.

The difference with Aigner’s offering, In Leather Man, is in the execution of the leather note. There is a brief citrusy topnote that lasts all of 5 seconds and then the scent gradually sheds its citrus coat to slowly extend its leather heart. It is 95% leather and nothing more. Where the classics capture the mysterious sexiness of leather, Aigner distils its brighter embodiment of refinement, the sublime note of a Porche’s leather interior. This is the antithesis of the traditional dark leather scent, the clean, modern version that exudes the right mix of opulence and elegance. Still, I don’t dare wear more than a few spritz of this scent, lest I smell like a walking leather sofa set. A touch is enough for a wild night out on the town in my black leather jacket and denim jeans. The ideal image to fit the scent. Leather requires more than a little confidence to wear, luckily when you’ve wrapped In Leather Man around you, the scent does the rest.

MonkeyManMatt's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Andy Warhol for Men by Andy Warhol

Mossy ambiance with emphasis on cardamom. Somewhat synthetic overall impression, but ok staying power and like previously pointed out, almost always available for a very low price. For something similar but much better, check out another artist's fragrance - Le Roy Soleil. Although that one isn't a favourite of mine, it should appeal to any fans of Andy Warhol for Men.