Fragrance Reviews from September 2005

boipussi's avatar

D&G Feminine by Dolce & Gabbana

Delicate and subtle... extremely feminine... it reminds me of Eau de Givenchy. It's easy on the nose and quite affordable.

Organza Indécence by Givenchy

I have been wearing this perfume for about two years. Almost every time I wear it I am asked what it is. I have even had people hand me a pen and paper and ask me to write it down for them!

The comments come equally from men and women. Some men will use it as an excuse to "flirt" while others will ask me because they say they want to purchase it for their wife or girlfriend.

It is a very long lasting fragrance; doesn't wear off during the day. It is very feminine and there's no mistaking the female that wears it is a very "girly" girl!

Shalimar by Guerlain

Shalimar is a fragrance that songs have been written about. It is timeless, never going out of style.

I happen to love vanilla and have read that most men are drawn to a vanilla based fragrance because it reminds them of home, love and security. Shalimar is all that and more.

Shalimar is a warm, romantic fragrance that lingers throughout the day. Every time I wear it I feel feminine.

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

I, along with my twin daughers, love this fragrance! It is sweet, feminine, girly and fun! Every time we wear it someone asks, "What do you you have on that smells so good???"

The scent reminds me of something heavenly. The best way I can describe it is that it smells like cotton candy tastes! Absolutely delicious!

Plus the purple apple bottle looks fantastic on my bathroom counter top!

Angel by Thierry Mugler

What first attracted me to this fragrance was the shape of the bottle. Honestly! I picked it up in the department store just to look at it with no intentions of buying it. I didn't even know what it was called.

After I saw that it was called "Angel" I decided to try it. I sprayed a little on my wrist and went on my way shopping. I just couldn't stop sniffing my wrist off and on for the next several hours. Finally I just had to go back to the perfume counter and spray it on again. This time there was no turning back, Angel was mine.

The fragrance will envelope you in a sense of peace and serenity. It will remind you of cozy evenings on cold winter nights by a fire with hot chocolate and marshmallows.

Every time I wear this fragrance my husband wants to get "just a little closer" it seems. I gues you could call this fragrance heaven sent.

Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss

This is a pretty good scent. It's fresh and sweet, with a moderate lasting power. My roomate called it "intoxicating", and most people give it a thumbs up.

Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert Extreme by Bulgari

It's a nice tropical scent, although it seems to be a bit more bitter than the non-Extreme version. A good summer scent, although the longevity is terrible...seems only to last about an hour before its completely gone.

Essenza di Zegna by Ermenegildo Zegna

One girl is was with said it smelled like "A crazy italian guy trying to hit on you in a club." However, I personally like the smell, and find it to be warm and long-lasting.

Aztek (original) by Yves Rocher

This one is very much like Diesel's Zero Plus Masculine. Heavy on cinnamon and woody notes but very little depth or complexity. Actually both the bottle and the scent itself feels kind of tacky and it's a good example of the fact that many cheap fragrances really are plain bad. Any other of the male Rocher launches is a better choice than Aztec.

Tel Quel by Yves Rocher

Semi-sweet, semi-oriental, it's hard to pin down Tel-Quel. Definitely an original blend that is easy to recognize once you've smellt it. However there is some weird note in there, possibly coriander, that is kind of disturbing to me. Good lasting power and very cheap like all Rochers. If you want something reminiscent of YSL's Live Jazz but much sweeter, then Tel-Quel might be a good option.

Eau de Campagne by Sisley

Oddly this one doesn't have any reviews yet, sells a lot worldwide to my knowledge. EdC is a very mossy green unisex scent with a super distinct tomato leaf note in the top. Perhaps leaning slightly to the feminine side, EdC is still herbal and dry enough for any guy to pull off. It lasts forever which is good considering the hefty price tag. Reportedly a favourite of the Swedish Queen Silvia.
    Must say it definitely smells more modern than something launched in the early 70's. A classic from a original and somewhat excentric french company.

wicozani's avatar

Route du Vétiver by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Nipping at the 151 again, Sir?, my valet asked, inquiring whether I'd been recently taking a nip at the 'ol 151-proof grain alcohol again. "Why, it's been years since I've done that, and you should know that!", I replied.

[b]Route du Vetiver[/b] bursts forth from the bottle unapologetically strong and surgical-blade sharp. There is a very raw sharpness to the Bourbon Vetiver root note (not unlike grain alcohol), which is buoyed by blackcurrant and a woodsy accord; the scent itself is zen-like in its simplicity. The jasmine, sandalwood, and musk all wait about 90 minutes to begin their appearance, and when they do this scent magically balances out and sets itself up for a protracted, impressive drydown! Route du Vetiver is stronger than Guerlain's Vetiver, but with literally no citrus. With respect to the LV Vetiver, an analogy would be appropriate. If Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver is a big, strong, frisky, shaggy-haired Wolfhound, then Route du Vetiver is an equally large, sleek-fur, strong, aggressive Doberman pinscher. In all, I must admit I'm beginning to understand and admire this scent, after being absolutely turned off with my first exposure to it. Every lover of vetiver should be sure to try this. In sum, this is great and possibly a real contender for the Grand Prize.

Olfactory pyramid per Lusciouscargo.com:

Top Notes: Black currant, leafy green accords
    Heart Notes: Bourbon vetiver, precious woods, jasmine
    Base Notes: Sandalwood, musk

Wicozani

winnie_t_p's avatar

Carolina by Carolina Herrera

This is a great fragrance! It wears nicely throughout the day if applied to the pulse points. I found that it also has a calming affect on me, but maybe that's unique. It's perfect for older teens and women in their early twenties. It does remind me of COCO Chanel as Vicky said below. It would be a great gift- say for a starter perfume?

winnie_t_p's avatar

Aramis Life by Aramis

Many men's fragrances are somewhat of a turnoff for me but this one does exactly what it's supposed to. I would recommend this to any man looking for a fragrance to attract the opposite sex. Not only is it my favorite but one of the few men's fragrances I can stand. A piece of advice: any cologne can be a turnoff when it’s applied as if to douse out a fire- subtlety is the key.

Francois Blais's avatar

Loewe para Hombre by Loewe

This is a great citrus chypre scent.
    Reminds me mostly of Homme de Grès and a bit of Boucheron.
    The base is better than both however and I think this is because it contains tonka beans.
    It's rich, classy, formal, manly yet fresh.
    A great discovery, thanks to Marlen!

Armani Eau Pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Uh uh, this one just plain sucks. I don't know how else to decribe it. Armani pour homme is very lemony, and very boring. Lemon, flowers, a bit of powder- all pleasant but not memorable. I love the classic eau de cologne style, but Armani falls short of soooo many better ones. I would choose Mugler Cologne, Acqua di Parma, 4711, or Eau Sauvage over Armani any day. Armani is the flacid penis of the department store fragrance counter.

Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert by Bulgari

For starters, I am a man and wear this one all the time. I have the extreme version and prefer it to the original if only for the cooler bottle. The extreme has a more dominant beeswax note to me-- I am neutral on that and go with the wild green bottle over the sea foam green. Smell wise it is fresh, but has an underlying skin warmth to it. I get citrus right away, quite a bit of rose, soapy coriander, and quiet tea notes. It may be too feminine smelling for some guys I think. In autumn and winter I layer Eau Parfumee Vert over a musk oil and it's awesome. People go nuts over it! I put the musk on right before I shower (it's mideastern and WAY WAY stong)and the lingering scent blends so well with the Bvlgari. Try it.

Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

L'Eau D'Orange Verte is fantasticand seem s very French. It is definitely better suited to warm weather and casual wear. It does not last well at all. L'Eau OV is wonderfully citrusy-- sweet but not too sweet orange. Really though, I like the subtle, green oakmoss and patchouli creeping in the back the best. In my mind, poor longevity surely justified the purchase of an orange, leather Hermes atomizer, scented shower gel, and FABULOUS SOAPS (boyfriend and his AMEX disagree). There, problem solved! I stylishly refresh my Orange Verte aura on sunny days in June, and wake up to a divine, energizing shower. Love it!

Envy for Men by Gucci

Sexy beast of a scent! Envy is for a night in-- a wild night in. I get lots of amber, cedar, some spice. Envy dries very musky on me. It is refined with a carnal edge. Envy would be great for a night at the clubs, too. I don't like the 80's/Bauhaus/whatever bottle though, foul black glittered cap and green(yeah, envy, I understand)juice. Boo Tom! A matte black monolith-style suits Envy better.

Fraîche Badiane by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Oh, first reviewer! I shall have to describe the smell then, in addition to ranting, raving. and sharing anecdotes. Fraiche Badiane reminds me of Guerlain's vetiver, or most vetivers for that matter. It begins with TART citrus, green grass, and anise. I love the anise, and it remains throughout. The finish is earthy, green, and a bit musty. It smells like my grandfather's armoire-- in a good way-- like the smell of European sachets on a bespoke, monagrammed jacket. I attempted to make Fraiche Badiane my signature scent but fate saw otherwise. My bottle was brutally slammed in a drawer in my SO's fit of petty rage, losing the spray part. I replaced the mechanism with a Jo Malone top-- however Fraiche Badiane's spritz was left more a akin to a sorry squirt, like a urinating cupid fountain. Later the bottle was broken by a drunken party-goer looking for bath oil. Red glass all over! Shame I am to fickle to re-purchase. I have moved on.

Gendarme by Gendarme

Good ol' Gendarme, my stand-by fragrance when I need something, but don't know what. Gendarme starts very SOAPY and a bit citrusy, dries subtle and close to skin. I find it to be the "cleanest" scent out there. I can hardly smell it on myself (they say this is normal). Gendarme is great in a gym bag, for work, perhaps a funeral, but is not dynamic enough for a date or a night out. I really love it, though.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Hmmm, I don't know, Green Irish Tweed just doesn't sit well with me. It is nicest enough. Perhaps, it's similarity to the much over-sprayed Cool Water (I bathed in Cool Water before my first homecoming dance) can account for my dislike. Green Irish Tweed is green (duh), fresh, and middle of the road.I love the ambergris. Like all Creed's, it is VERY well blended and to me feels round, balanced. A good choice for those without Cool Water flashbacks.

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Joop! is crazy, so crazy it ends with an excalmation point! I might like it again for that alone! Joop! was my second fragrance at at age 15! That's a scary picture right there-- some hormone-laden teen boy with a heavy finger and a Joop! bottle! I would not wear it now, but maybe in, like, 20-30 years when all those I see/smell wearing Joop! have moved on to Acqua di Gio, and I am semi-senile! I always seem to smell Joop! on cheesy male-stripper types and older divorced guys with bad hair! Count me out! I like the way my skin wears the scent, though-- it's oriental and ODD!

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

I really enjoy Le Male on myself but not on others. For this reason, I only wear it around the house-- as I assume others would like it only on themselves, not on me. I especially love the mint vs. the lavender and vanilla. SENSUAL is the word for Le Male, sensitive perhaps. I find the sweetness to much at times, though. Le Male is addicting, I did not like it at first, and then I just began craving it. I wore it straight for like a month, I had a chair that smelled more of Le Male than I. I think it is an ideal choice for a hip, 17-21 year-old man,

Opium pour Homme Eau de Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent

Two words-- HOT & HEADY. That is it. Your hear fragrances decribed as "heady" all the time, but YSL Opium Homme is IT (as far as men's go). I have the EDP, it's beautiful. I have not tested the EDT, but why bother. EDP is rich, rich, rich and lasts. The scent itself is all dark bourbon, vanilla, and musk on me. I can smell the pepper, too. Lovely. I find Opium almost too potent to be sexy. It feels more dangerous than anything. Interesting note: the editor of French Vogue (female) wears this, and if you see her you'll understand the scent. She is raven-haired, all laser-cut black Dior Homme tailoring and YSL ruffles and sex. French, classy, and mysterious-- like her fragrance.

Rush for Men by Gucci

Not a fan of this one. I bought Gucci Rush men when I was somehow brainwashed by Tom Ford. I LIVED for Gucci!! I did not like the women's version, but still I immediately bought Rush men unsniffed. The scent has lots of pine, cedar, and patchouli to me. That's it. Maybe it was my skin, but I smelled like a hippie's expensive cedar closet. Looking back, this probably was perfectly suited to my uber-sexed up Gucci, Gucci, Gucci wardrobe and look. Now I find Rush men to be just too much for me-- like some guy in the 70's forgot he hid his stash in the hamster cage.

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Don't really need another review here, but I always like to give my biased, subjective, and opinionated two cents. I like M7, but not as much as other fragrances I have. I only wear it occassionally when the mood is right. M7 is very woody and dark. The agarwood is biting and a bit medicinal, but it dries slightly sweet. Overall, M7 smells exotic, manly, rich, but too agressive to be sexy. I get more compliments on it from men than women. Oddly, I only wear M7 on hot summer nights- just a spritz on my neck, and never for a formal evening. It just feels right that way-- raw, natural, and powerful.

Sharky's avatar

Laguna Homme by Salvador Dali

Fantastic fragrance! I got Laguna blind and was very pleasantly surprised. As mentioned by others, Laguna reminds me of relaxing under the warm sun on a calm beach with plenty of near by palm trees and coconut trees (Laguna smells like it has a slight coconut note on my skin). Laguna smells fresh and clean but not in a sharp way, I find it a very relaxing and uplifting smell which reminds me of vanilla, coconut and sun-cream.

I think Laguna would work perfectly in warm to hot weather. Laguna leaves the right about of sillage, it is easily detectable whilst not overpowering. I would say Laguna is a youthful yet mature scent which I think would be suitable for all ages.

Some scents are easily grown out of, however at this stage I can’t see myself ever getting tired of Laguna. Laguna is not sold at department stores near me, which helps to explain why it is so rare here in Western Australia. This scent is defiantly a keeper. If you are looking for a cheap, unique, non-common, high-quality, summer scent you should check out Laguna!

pottlegirl's avatar

Truth Calvin Klein by Calvin Klein

Truth was my first department-store love when I was in school and only the pretentious french girl wore high end perfume (angel, enough to smother a bull elephant). I got it as a present from my mother and still have it, although I don't wear it much. It starts with the freshness of cut grass and flowers but there's an artifice and sharpness to that opening, and indeed to the entire thing, that wasn't on the scent strips in magazines and that gives me splitting headaches. Had it beenn executed better, or even smelled like the impossibly green warm vanilla I thought it would be, I would give it a thumbs up. And since I did once love it I cannot give it a thumbs down. So neautral it is.

pottlegirl's avatar

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I never really thought of perfume as sexy until I wore this. Smelling this on my hand makes me want to slather it on a man and.......
    uh yeah so this is my favorite Lutens creation. It is, like most of his fragrances, truly unisex--I think it would enhance equally the femininity or masculinity of the wearer. In moderation, it can be worn almost anywhere.
    It is animalic yet sweet and persistent, and have a rough, vital, yet reflective personality. This, to me, is the musc to end all musks. It isn't fussed up with florals or spices or herbs or soapiness. It's drrrrty! In a glorious, delicious way, like naked skin heated up by the lazy morning sun in a languid morning after a vigorous night. Raw sensuality is right!