Fragrance Reviews from September 2005

Paname by Keiko Mecheri

Paname is a sweet fragrance, and very umcomplicatedly sweet if you discount the lash of licorice whip you get from the absinthe. It starts out with a heavy dose of medicinally-tinged sweet - think liqueur (that's the absinthe - or wormwood - of course, or, on the tamer side, something like ouzo or sambuca) rather than candy - and that licorice/anise punch. That's all quite pungent and strong, but then it calms down into an unexpectedly mellow, almost skin-scent sweet, which is where the vanilla and "powder musk" come into play. All in all, it's a sexy scent and could go unisex, though I think it's a bit more feminine in its slightly dangerous, femme fatale, "try me on if you dare" way. For those who like to compare, this does bear some similarity to Serge Lutens' Douce Amere, another licorice fragrance.

Loukhoum by Keiko Mecheri

I have never been able to warm up to this scent - it has a very cold, "off" core that has always bothered me. The opening is nice enough, almondy and sweet almost like sugar syrup, but then it progresses into something that's both powdery in a cheap way and musky in an oily way. Neither powder nor musk notes usually bother me but the way they come through here is vaguely awful to my nose. There is a striking similarity to Helmut Lang EDP, which I find even more unbearable than this. I think there are plenty of other loukhoum-ish fragrances out there better than this and recommend you try those first before committing to this one.

Scarlett by Keiko Mecheri

Hot, spicy, sweet and juicy, Scarlett is a zesty scent, the kind that really sets your pulse up a notch. It takes a bit of getting used to; pairing hot spices with blood orange can be a strange combination, the same way that something like jalapeno jelly can be, a little disorienting with its simultaneous blast of peppery heat and sugary sweetness. But it works, I think. The only downside is that the blood orange doesn't linger very long, and then you just have the remaining spice (mostly cinnamon, as best I can tell) plus some green powderiness from the angelica. A better variation of this same sort of pairing is Harissa from the Comme des Garcons Series 2: Red group. The spices there are more complex and rich - as they include not just the incendiary Morrocan harissa but also cardamom, saffron and nutmeg - and the addition of tomato keeps the fruitiness of the blend going after the initial zest of blood orange has worn off.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 5 Sherbet: Cinnamon by Comme des Garçons

A smell-alike of Dentyne gum, this CdG is harsh and acrid to my nose and, unlike some cinnamons that calm down after initial harshness, this one stays that way. I suspect it's the clove in here that eggs the cinnamon on; individually, I think these are lovely notes, but together they just come on much too strong and in this case combine to render something along the lines of synthetic potpourri. Where the idea of sherbet enters into the picture, I don't know. Beyond the spice hit, you get lemon, bay leaf and saffron; sounds like a poultry rub, I think, but maybe that's just me. CdG is so funny that way; they really throw a big question mark into some of their products! That's fun and I appreciate it - but I still would not opt to wear this fragrance much if at all.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 5 Sherbet: Rhubarb by Comme des Garçons

I can appreciate the idea of this - a tart and refreshing scent, an alternative to more traditional hesperides blends so popular for warm weather - but it just crosses the line into unpleasantly sour for me. It's like wearing "eau de Sour Patch" kids - the rhubarb is so prevalent that I honestly don't get any of the other notes here, not the vanilla, orchid sap or lychee. I find it very plain, straightforward and simple and not sherbet-like at all. As is sometimes the case with myself and CdG scents, this prompts me to scratch my head and wonder when, where and why I'd wear this as anything other than a once-in-a-great-while novelty scent.

Lipstick Rose by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

A vibrant, fuchsia streak of a fragrance with a definite attitude of uber-femme, dressed-to-the-nines lady. It's super-sweet (rose, voilet, vanilla), musky (musk), powdery (amber) and saucy, the big sister to L'Artisan's more delicate Drole de Rose, which is also rose-violet based. I find it to be one of the better FM fragrances, with more staying power and definition than some of the lighter florals and unisex scents. But it's a very specific fragrance, too; unlike some of those others, which can toe the line nicely between weekday and weekend, dress and casual, Lipstick Rose is strictly a fashion fragrance, best paired with heels, something that shows off your legs and, of course, a nice coat of lipstick in an attention-getting shade!

Hanae by Keiko Mecheri

This is a very round, soft, warm fragrance; it can come off a bit oily at first, which I think comes from both the yuzu and jasmine (which is what the "white flowers" are), but give it a chance as the drydown is beautiful, almost transparent but also lasting. (White musk is also one of the notes and it holds the whole composition together.) It's very feminine and springlike, not overly sweet or florally, fairly fruity but in a graceful, gentle manner. No jello or candy or anything of that sort. Unlike some of the other Keikos (formerly known as Bazaar des Scenteurs), I find this one to be pretty unique and unlike anything else out there. I've gone through two large bottles of the Hanae and could easily wear it every spring.

Vanille Exquise by Annick Goutal

This is a light, dryish, unwarm and not all that sweet vanilla that belongs in the same class as Calypso Vanille, Serge Lutens Bois de Vanille and Bath and Body Works Warm Vanilla Sugar (which is so not a warm scent; where'd they come up with that name?) There is a lack of depth to this fragrance that I didn't like at first; the vanilla itself just seemed so thin and reedy, a little too woody/coconutty as well as oddly herbal and slightly medicinal. But then, over time, I started to like it more and appreciate its quietness. Though I tend to like sweeter vanillas better, sometimes something a bit more subdued, like this one is, does the trick. It's much more sophisticated, in its reserved way, than the CSP or Molinard vanillas.

cedriceccentric's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Emporio Armani City Glam for Her by Giorgio Armani

At first sniff City Glam for Her smells like yet another boring fruity floral with lots of red fruits in the topnotes. But then comes the typical 70s chypre note: coriander, rose and patchouli. it's not about a chic classic chypre, here we are talking about a very synthetic "fun" chypre. Like Light Blue, City Glam is deliciously plastic-like. But where Light Blue is fresh, fruity and musky, City Glam is fruity, warm and earthy. It's rather vulgar yet very much fun.

CologneJunkie's avatar

X-Centric by Dunhill

I was at Marshall's today checking out their sales & I saw this. I gave it a quick spritz on the back of my hand. BLECH! Way too strong and masculine for my liking. I asked the nearest SA where the bathroom was & she said in the back behind the shoe racks. Well, when I got to the shoes, I found they had several pair of Converse Chuck Taylors, which I adore. So I checked out the Chucks for several minutes before I got to the bathroom to wash it out. Before I took the soap to the back of my hand, I sniffed what the drydown was like. To me, it smelled just like Hugo! Again, blech. So I scrubbed my hand, and of course 3 hours later I can still smell it. Now, it smells like Coast soap.

Candie's Men by Candie's

i like this alot but it doesnt last long though

Claiborne Sport by Liz Claiborne

i love this cologne... great for daily use ... this will sure please everyone

Brit for Men by Burberry

i love this cologne :)

13 September, 2005 (Last Edited: 27 September, 2005)

dynamicddanny's avatar

Cuiron Pour Homme by Helmut Lang

Cuiron by Helmut Lang is so wonderful. I adore it-- especially this time of year as fall is rolling around. I can't for the life of me, recall what a plum smells like, so is certainly is possible that it's in there. However, I do get an initial freshness to the fragrance. It's at first a bit sweet and sythetic flowery to me. I really love suede in my closet, in my car, in my boat (bad idea, by the way),-- in general, and in Cuiron. Love it! It smells sexy, manly, modern, and is always refined and subtle. I think fans of the original DKMen or Micheal Kors for men should try Helmut Lang Cuiron.

fordcountry302's avatar

Corduroy by Zirh

Amazing. Ladies love it and it smells great. Lasts a good 6-8 without being too powerful at any time. An exceptional find. Only slight gripe is top note (supposedly citrucy-grapefruit + mandarin) is barely there-a pity. Otherwise wonderful. My new signature.

Chrome by Azzaro

Chrome is a good safe scent. Doesn't offend, but doesn't really impress, either. It has that "popular" smell to it. Very similar to CKOne. Otherwise, a good casual scent with great lasting power.

Desire for a Man by Dunhill

I agree that it's very similar to Sculpture by Nikos , except Sculpture is more well-rounded. Desire has a vary sharp sweetness to it, with some spice. Can't really see it working on anything but younger people.

Pi by Givenchy

Very sweet oriental. This one seems to be mostly linear on me, being dominated by vanilla yet with a slightly woody accord. Even though I hardly find myself reaching for this one it still gets a thumbs up as it is one of the better "sweet" fragrances.

13 September, 2005 (Last Edited: 02 September, 2006)

ikkitosennomusha's avatar

Néroli Sauvage by Creed

Thumbs way up here! This is the most magical and intoxicating fragrance I have the priviledge to own. The neroli draws rich depth from the top citrus notes to the woody character to the basenotes as the neroli lasts througout. I cannot give this fragrance enough praise. It is very seductive and breath-taking. This is the one fragrance that I wished I could pour from my showerhead!

Arielle by Fragonard

This is very very sweet and probably because of the peach.
    it is all summer would go well for a lady that loves wearing bright colors because this is a very bright scent and very happy too nearly funny !
    A great pick me up like vitamines lol

Soleil by Fragonard

I bought Soleil for my sister she used to wear Paris from YSL.
    Soleil is an Eau de parfum so it does hold very well.
    It is a very complex scent it does start very flowery nearly sweet and after 5 minutes then it start to give you all its heart
    The jasmin and the lilly in my opinion are the 2 flowers that are fighting and I do love the sweet fresh and warmth it gives.
    It dies with warmth like the sun but je jasmin and lilly are still here sleeping.
    It is a great feminin eau de parfum
    For a young and young at heart women that likes something different.
    SUPERB

LAURENT

Eau Fantasque by Fragonard

Reminds me of a very fresh fruit cocktail
    Fresh and Fruity but goes deep due to the amber.
    An easy going happy scent, uncomplicated the blackcurrant gives it an edge.
    A lady wearing strong like colors would suit this with perfection.

Fragonard by Fragonard

I just adore that scent it seems simple and truly elegant and unique at the same time
    Fresh with hints of flowers and sweetness for any season any time an easy to wear classic.
    It is apparently Brooke Shields scent and so she should.
    a great classic but not as serious as number 5.
    jasmin lilly honeysuckle bergamot finnishing with musc and amber

Mélodie by Fragonard

I do find this scent extremely difficult to describe.
    So I will talk about the style
    It is fresh fruity but in the middle it has an edge that is quiet unusual and it could be the cistus with the blackcurrant.
    Now who would wear this scent
    Took me a while but I think I do feel that artists would understand it and dare to wear it.
    I am puzzled by this scent it has a different logic and I am quiet attracted to it at the same time.
    I would see a lady wearing green chiffon with flying assorted foulards a bit eccentric but very chic.
    Fresh and fruity with an attitude due to its complexity.
    How could a scent puzzled me just did !
    Thump up yes this is art

Émilie by Fragonard

This is Chic and flowers and lots of them.
    Feminity with a big F.UPLIFTING
    It is Women in all its glory but with a hint of attitude.
    It it classic scent very signature just BEAUTIFULL and powerfull.
    This must leave a great scillage like a big bouquet.
    This is femme femme femme.
    Smart colors a great labelled suit maybe a first date RECOMMENDED
    a bouquet of thumps up

Lune de Miel by Fragonard

Lune de miel
    I would draw this scent like a pyramid
    the thin top would be quiet freshly warm and the bottom very warm and relaxing.
    A superb Oriental a bit shy If a may say so with a tiny bit of mystery.
    Warmth is the main scent with vanilla santal amber jasmin rose ylang ylang violet and bergamot.
    Oriental light purple settled quiet buy a tiny breeze (the bergamot)
    Any age for this scent with an oriental hint.

Capucine by Fragonard

Waow and I mean Waow.
    This is a very serious scent it is Oriental and deep like its logo It has a deep oriental purple scent.
    It is a one way scent that grows deeper.
    The ingredients are making one straight scent.
    I do see this scent as a very formal black dress scent or strong colors like red-purple-dark green,
    I would not see a shy women wearing this scent it is powerfull with full character.
    A more mature lady would wear this scent so well.
    But dont get me wrong it is a jewel like a well choregraphed ballet but not for everybody.
    A bit like Rolls Royce Grant Extravagant.
    Warm Rich Sweet Deep Velvety

Magnifiscent's avatar

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

Eau Sauvage is a crisp citrus that starts slightly stingy of rosemary needles and has a good projection. But it quickly turns sweeter thanks to basil which confers a green sweet edge. Here the citrus becomes round but still ethereal though its projection fades and vetiver appeads in the drydown as a whisper under the lemontrees. This timeless scent has class but it is not particulary masculine and lacks of staying power.

Magnifiscent's avatar

YSL pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

YSL pour homme opens with a rush of sparkling crisp pure citrus but it's more earthy than and ethereal breeze; this lemony runrise coming true turns in a deep full-bodied citrus adorned by blazes of thyme that makes it sligtly bitter conferring a mature and masculine aura. At this point vetiver starts to play not as a whisper but with his bass voice giving staying power and a natural raw charme. Better staying power and masculine feeling. The only flaw is that it is a little too son of his times since it has a detectable 70' appeal.

silentv's avatar

Déclaration by Cartier

Déclaration not a bad scent but I can't detect any woodsy trails at all. I'll put this instead in the marine category. It smells like fresh cool dew (alittle similar to Aqua di Gio actually) Also, it is pretty subtle and if you have dry skin you should spray alittle more because it disappears quickly. If you like fresh-green scents you should go for it.