Fragrance Reviews from September 2005

calchic's avatar

Calyx by Prescriptives

The most fruit-packed fragrance ever created! Depending on what source you check for notes, Calyx contains most if not all of the following: passion fruit, mango, grapefruit, mandarin, guava, papaya, apricot, peach, melon, raspberry. Pretty much a cornucopia of summer fruits - and it does smell that way, very much so. It's a fun fragrance but not completely frivolous; the moss in particular helps bring out just enough sophistication to keep this from being strictly for the pre-teen crowd. A good fragrance and one that's still viable now, though I will always associate it with smelling like the late 80s/early 90s when I wore it far more often than I do today.

Weekend for Women by Burberry

I didn't like this AT ALL. It smelled like rotten dandilions and I couldn't get this stuff off my skin fast enough. It's not like Burberry to make a fragrance this foul so HOPEFULLY I just sampled a bad bottle

Burberry for Men by Burberry

This one is sure to be one of my signature scents this fall! It's smooth, mellow sweetness is such a pleasure to the senses! The fruity and vanilla notes blend really well together, kind of like a skin smoothie :). Another bonus: its longevity is AWESOME! This one is a must-have for cooler weather!

Fierce for Men by Abercrombie & Fitch

This is a very sexy frag for 20somethings, it is the epitome of the A&F "image". You'd swear it was invented w/ a clubbing atmosphere in mind. Its cousin, Hollister Drift, smells very similar and is a quality frag as well. This being said...I won't wear either one again. I'm boycotting A&F for personal reasons.

Gus's avatar

Spain Spain

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I came to know this scent thanks to Luca Turin's infamous review in which he said it smelled of cardboard! My curiosity was piqued and I didn't stop till I could get hold of a sample. When I tried it, I was puzzled, I couldn't believe how Mr Turin had nailed it. I wouldn't dare to add anything to what he said, except that, though it took me some time to get into Dzing!, now I can't live without it. A must-have indeed!

howardbweiner's avatar

Alien by Thierry Mugler

Alien is definitely retro and quite nice. Very 70's. Sweet, intense and incensey. Somewhat like boucheron but all on its own. There's a top note that I can't identify but I think it's green or metal. Packaging is beautiful. A winner in my book!

New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

A fragrance that bears not a single reference to anything Creed, which will please those who often complain that Bond has shamelessly ripped off many of the Creed line in their efforts to pioneer a new American scent empire. This is most assuredly a gourmond where patchouli, one of THE most versatile of woods, is done in a mouth-watering way. While other rich gourmonds like Lutens Arabie reminds one of holidays, this fragrance is almost unashamedly sensual in its thick, but highly enjoyable syrup of pleasure. The coffee and vanilla in this work magic especially to a coffee or cappucino lover, but are not nearly as dominant as the notes of this in MPG's Eau des Iles. It is my favorite of the Bond line so far and, so far, I've tried them all.

Original Vetiver by Creed

I'm not a fan of citrusy, green almost overly fresh fragrances and this one is that to a tee. Its similarites to Mugler's Cologne are certainly well documented and while that is certainly true for the first several wearing I still believe that this fragrance is a bit better in its composition and there are certain very subtle nuances that are pleasantly different, but those will exhibit themselves only over several wearings and most people just don't want to wait that long. One great thing is that the stuff lasts a very long time and that is one fault certain more recent Creeds get heavy criticism for. Development is rather narrow, but that in itself is not necessarily bad. If you are die-hard loyal to Creed I suppose you might have to have this, but as a long-time Creed fan, I'll pass.

Dark Rose by Czech & Speake

Think funeral home. Yep, this is quite a dark, somewhat must rose scent. If you want a fragrance that does justice to the dark, but woodsy rose scent choose L'Artisan Voleur de Roses or if you want something that screams roses then Creed Fleurs de The Rose Bulgari, but this one you can safely pass over. I was disappointed about how it measured up to other more classic Czech & Speake items.

Hamptons by Bond No. 9

Of course, those who have tried this will undoubtedly make a snap decision that this smell very much like Creed Silver Mountain Water...and they'd be very correct. However, just like a couple of the more recent Creed launches I can think of, this fragrances needs time to distill itself on the skin. While the fresh, clean, lightly aquatic qualities of this and SMW are very much cousins there are differences that take time and careful "study" to uncover. Still...for the price...I think I'll pass.

Original Santal by Creed

At this point I feel that it may be very early in my the life of this new Creed to evaluate it properly. I say this because when Himalaya came out I quickly reviewed it with a thumbs down and have since changed my tune. After many wearings it seemed to evolve a bit differently and a bit more completely each time I wore it. I think I expected Creed to hit me with a blockbuster similar to how I felt about many of the others from out of their far and more recent past. What I did not stop to consider was the fact that when these blockbusters were released in their day perhaps they had the same overall reaction--a bit of "ho-hum", but in time they caught on and carved their niche in fragrance history. Others will undoubtedly disagree, but I feel that Original Santal may be one of those type of fragrances. Not an instant classic and not even a one for the ages, but a slow-burn wonder that will turn off those looking for a quick "wow" while increasingly intriguing those who stick with it. Some have likened this to Allure and there are certainly some very strong similarities, but, again, over time one sees some very serious divergences and even a even a bit of something that makes a Creed-lover quite certain that they are wearing a Creed. The verdict will be out for me for while on Original Santal, but I'm glad that I've had a chance to try this and am open enough to realize that it may indeed turn into something great...maybe.

Ren's avatar

Nostalgia by Santa Maria Novella

Really special! I love this one. Opens up smelling like a tire store, which is surprisingly attractive on skin, but then it turns into a beautiful spicy vanilla scent with just the faintest hint of rubber in the background.

16th September, 2005 (Last Edited: 25th September, 2005)

Donna Karan Signature by Donna Karan

One of my all-time favorite scents. A rich oriental based around patchouli with not a hint of vanilla. Is marketed to women, but perfectly wearable by men. Wonderful sillage and development and lasts forever.

Giò by Giorgio Armani

Someone send me a bottle please. A magnificent oriental warm and intoxicating. A tamed rose with powdery iris combines with jasmine and hyacinth. Lower notes reveal themselves in the incredible sillage. One of Armani's finest! A far cry from Mania...

Night by Laura Biagiotti

Night reminds me of Venezia, or actually a corss between Venezia and Pastelo - warm tobacco low notes with a tangy rich floral/fruit opening. I'd love to find the notes for this one - anyone? I'm surprised the fragrance is still wearable after such a long time, but it is actually very good on my skin and only needed a couple of minutes to open up and blossom. It's hard to tell what the top was like, but the middle is a powdery, slightly aldehydic melange, reminiscent of #5, do I detect rose, maybe ylang? is there a berry or red fruit note? The base has a vanillic note, though barely detectable lingering beyond the patchouli and tobacco...

Roma by Laura Biagiotti

One of my top 5 favorite women's scents. A glorious floriental with notes of black currant and jasmine with civet, amber, sandalwood and vanilla in the base. Rich, heady, great development, wonderful sillage...could easily be worn by a man.

Tempore Donna by Laura Biagiotti

Wonderful vanilla oriental with fresh floral and citrus topnotes. Reminds me of Chanel's Allure, though slightly richer in the basenotes. Not Biagiotti's best, but a great scent nonetheless.

Vie de Chateau by Nicolaï

Oakmoss, grass, leather and hay. This is sweeter than you might expect. Reminiscent of Crown's Sandringham. Perfect for cooler weather.

Haute Provence by Nicolaï

Smells like standing in a garden of wild flowers and herbs during summer. Labender, myrtle, rosemary, oak and orange blossoms. Fresh, clean, light, and incomparable.

Vanille Tonka by Nicolaï

Smokey and mysterious, this one is a surprise. The oriental vanilla is there in the base, but the top and middle reveal frankincense, lime and tangerine. Though the citrus is subtle, the earthy tonka and incense-like frankincense create a rich and unique aroma.

Eau d'Été by Nicolaï

Jasmine, lime and grapefruit combine with tomato leaf. Another surprise from Nicolai. Perfect for summer!

Fig Tea by Nicolaï

Smells more like apricot, but this is a little too sweet for me. Hard to detect any tea notes, more like a fruit tea with lots of sweetener.

Roma Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

One of my top 5 men's scents of all time. Slightly sweet in the opening, but a wonderful smooth oriental in the basenotes. A very unique scent that has no comparison!

Tempore Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

Wish I loved it more, but it's a bit cloying to me - too much going on and not enough character. Would like a simpler version.

Venezia Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

Wonderful rich sandalwood and lavender fragrance, along the lines of Mauboussin or Carven, but with an edge of fern and a tinge of creamy jasmine. Easy-to-wear with excellent sillage.

Aqua di Roma Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

Grapefruit, grapefruit and more grapefruit. I would have liked an inspired version of the original, but this is fleeting, uninspired and just plain boring.

Cologne Nature by Nicolaï

Fresh and light scent of limes and lime blossom. Short-lived and quiet, but fresh and easy-to-wear.

bebosky's avatar

Armani Mania by Giorgio Armani

This is a firm classic smell...very clean and crisp. Lasts all day or night.

Simply by Clinique

This stuff smells different from person to person. I got it 'cause it smelled GREAT on a friend of mine, very fresh. But on me it turned spicy & mellow. Wasn't bad...but it wasn't that fresh frag I thought it would be. I wore it for awhile, always in autumn 'cause that's what it smelled like to me, but finally I had just had enough of it & had to give it away. DEFINITELY try this one on your skin before you buy it!

dallasconundrum's avatar

H.M. by Hanae Mori

On first application, I get more lemon smell, and even though I don't see it in the notes...it smells like some sort of melon is in there as well. However, after it has dried for awhile I start to pick up the vanilla more and that is when I really start to enjoy this one. Although it isn't my absolute favorite out of this type of scent, it is closer to the top than the bottom. I certainly like it better than A*men as I found that one to be too unpredictable to me.