Fragrance Reviews from September 2005

Ambre Canelle by Creed

Ambre Canelle is a hard one for me to understand. When I got it, I was expecting an amber and cinnamon fragrance. When I tried it, I got jasmine and a massive Creed House note. To this day, I donít really get any cinnamon at all, but I do get Amber (I guess) as Creed defines it. I donít know if anyone else gets this, but I find it very jasmine dominant. I do like it a lot. Itís rich, masculine, and floral. Itís not what I expected, but I like it nonetheless.

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Ambre Sultan is the best Amber fragrance. Most Amber based fragrances can be pretty linear and sweet. Ambre Sultan, however, has a very spicy counterpart, which gives it many more dimensions. Itís also one of the more animalic Amber fragrances out there. This is a very elegant and seductive fragrance that is surprisingly versatile for a Lutens. A must own for any Amber lover.

Arabie by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Arabie is basically the quintessential oriental. Itís a VERY thick and spicy oriental. Itís also got dry and almost candied fruit notes that make it smell like some sort of exotic dessert. Itís amazing on the coldest winter days. I will say that is unbelievably strong. Arabie is the only fragrance that can give me a horrible headache with more than two sprays. If youíre looking for the ultimate oriental, then this might be for you.

Barbier des Isles by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Barbier des Isles came as a pleasant surprise to me. I usually associated bloated, sickening sweetness with CSP fragrances. Barbier des Isles is a very earthy fragrance. It comes off as a blend of dry woods and vetiver, with some subtle spices within. Whenever I smell BdI I imagine dry dying wood on a sandy beach. Great twist on normal earthy fragrances.

Bel Ami by HermŤs

Bel Ami is a wonderful spicy floral scent. Itís in a class of its own in my wardrobe. Rich and deep floral notes mingle with rich and masculine spices. This is great for formal wear, casual wear, anything. It exudes a kind of confidence that really canít be found amazing. Every time I wear Bel Ami the memory of that day is tattooed into my memory. Thatís how amazing it is. I also have one of those special edition leather travel editions.

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

BK is a pretty linear gourmand. Itís light enough that it can be worn in the summer. Itís very sweet, and overall pleasant. With that being said, itís very easy to get tired of. I swapped my bottle away, and donít miss it at all. I actually replaced it with Laguna, which I enjoy much more.

Bois du Portugal by Creed

It took me a while to understand Bois du Portugal. At first, I thought it was awful. I thought it had this awful gourmand like note that smelled like a potato dish I used to eat. I just couldnít get into it, then, one night, I realized it was lavender. Thatís lavender and rich dry woods. After that night, I realized what a brilliant and amazing fragrance it was. I have a couple ounces of it now, and love wearing it. Despite many people saying itís formal, I can wear it anytime. BdP is an amazing Creed. Itís probably my favorite Creed.

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

DG Homme is a very nice tobacco based fragrance. Itís slightly green, and has a lot of depth. The only real downside is the amount of people that wear it. Other than that, itís very nice.

Eau d'HermŤs by HermŤs

This is what Kingdom SHOULD have been! This is such a rich and mysterious fragrance. Itís loaded with cumin, but doesnít have that harsh and grating personality that Kingdom does. Itís powdery and soft, but complimented perfectly by the abundant cumin. I love this, and itís a wonderful evening fragrance in my wardrobe.

Eau d'Orange Verte by HermŤs

edOV is a nice summer citrus fragrance. Itís very fresh and very orangey. Too bad it lasts for 10 minutes, max.

…goÔste / L'…goÔste by Chanel

Itís a shame I tried Platinum Egoiste before this gem. Egoiste is a wonderful Oriental. Egoiste is sweet, and very multi faceted. I think I am alone on this, but I always get a pretty strong tea note whenever I smell Egoiste. Itís almost like a combination of Chai Tea and Green Tea, but not many people agree with me on this one. Egoiste is a very seductive and sensual fragrance

Etra by Etro

Etra is very nice. Itís a very foody gourmand that smells a lot like a holiday fruitcake. Itís a very fruity and sweet gourmand, that is very strong, yet wears a little bit thinner than, say, Arabie by SL. Itís great for winter. I used to wear it whenever I went on late night walks. Hopefully, it will accompany me on many more.

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

Gentleman is interesting. At first it smells like Patchouli and urine, but as it evolves, it starts to smell like urine and civet. What a striking combination. This one is just gross. H.O.T Always by Bond No. 9 is along the same lines, but much nicer.

Grain de Plaisir by MaÓtre Parfumeur et Gantier

Grain de Plaisir is a very interesting summer fragrance. A blend of citrus and celery. Green, yet very well mannered and very French. Like its counterpart, Biame, it also has an herbal side. Overall, Grain de Plaisir is a great summer fragrance that is great for formal or casual wearings.

Green Valley by Creed

Green Valley is a nice green fragrance. Oddly enough, itís exactly like Millsime Imperial, also by Creed, only minus the Tobacco note. Green Valley starts off slightly sweet and green, but dries down to a bitter, almost sour green fragrance with that standard Creed house note. Another nice summer fragrance by Creed.

H.M. by Hanae Mori

This is a very nice departure from most other designer Gourmand Oriental fragrances. Itís very fun, and very interesting. As the citrus fades, the chocolate begins to take over. Most gourmand fragrances steer very clear of citrus, but this one uses it to make it very versatile, and also to make it captivating and interesting. Itís big on contrast and depth. Itís a very fun fragrance, and itís good for summer and winter.

Jazz Prestige by Yves Saint Laurent

Jazz Prestige is much like Jazz, but itís a little bit richer, and a little bit heavier on the Tobacco. Itís also a more contrast based fragrance, which is what made Jazz so amazing. Itís not quite a Jazz Extreme, but a Jazz that has a bit stronger of a personality. It also has an incredible bottle. Itís too bad itís so hard to find.

JHL by Aramis

JHL is one of the best designer fragrances I have ever come across. Itís a rich, masculine, and heady fragrance with beautiful floral notes throughout. It has an almost boozy base. I find the floral notes to be surprisingly soft for a fragrance of its era. JHL is just such a well made fragrance; itís blended flawlessly. It stands along side Zino and Ungaro I in the ranks of greatness.

L'Anarchiste by Caron

LíAnarchiste is very interesting. Itís one of the more unusual fragrances in my wardrobe. I guess I would call it a citrus fragrance? But it hardly smells like any other citrus fragrance. I donít know what note is that causes this, but I find LíAnarchiste smells like copper or blood. It smells a bit like blood as it cools. Itís offputting, but itís very fun to wear, nonetheless. Oddly enough, itís also very wearable. Itís worth owning simply because it really is one of its kind.

Laguna Homme by Salvador Dali

Laguna is a nice sweet and aquatic fragrance. Itís along the lines of Body Kouros with a salty marine accord. Itís great for summer, and works wonders in humid weather. Itís nothing groundbreaking or amazing, but itís nice enough that I swapped it, and then got it again when I missed it.

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

This is a pleasant fragrance. A sweet fragrance with a nice anise touch. I find it to be somewhat synthetic smelling. Itís great for casual wear, and wonít easily offend. I much prefer Yohji Homme and Douce Amere, which are similar, but worlds better.

Mťchant Loup by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Mechant Loup is truly a fragrance that, I feel, embodies my personality. At first sniff itís sweet and charismatic. As it evolves, you get a dark and brooding fragrance with a beautiful hazelnut note. But there is something sinister that can be smelled throughout the life of the fragrance; itís a slightly animalic, almost fur like note. This fragrance is a metaphor. The life of this fragrance is an allegory. Itís a work of art.

Messe de Minuit by Etro

Messe de Minuit is a very interesting fragrance; in fact, itís one of the most unusual fragrances I own. Itís very gothic, and brooding. It smells like church incense, old books, and mildew. It smells damp and old. This is exactly what it is supposed to smell like. With a name like Midnight Mass, itís made to conjure up images and fantasies of churches and castles. It also smells like many old attics and basements. I love it.

Millťsime Impťrial by Creed

MI is Creeds most wearable and, generally, most loved of the Creed fragrances. Itís a sparkling Citrus fragrance, which is surprisingly rich and modern for what it is. Most French citrus fragrances are stuffy or herbal, but this is amazingly chic. Itís smooth, refined, and effervescent. A great summer fragrance that everyone will love.

Nťroli Sauvage by Creed

Neroli Sauvage is my favorite summer Creed. Itís a rich and smooth fragrance with notes of almost bitter Neroli. The Citrus in the fragrance isnít overly sweet or sparkly, instead, it works just to mellow and even out the bitter Neroli. The smooth woods and the Creed house note finish it off, making it Creeds most refined and understated scents.

Pour Un Homme by Caron

Pour un Homme is great. Itís a great blend of vanilla and lavender that comes off very powdery and comforting. Itís a great night time fragrance for me. Itís pretty simple as far as fragrances go, but Iíve never smelled lavender and vanilla combined this well. It doesnít last as long as Iíd like, but I hope that upcoming Parfum version will cure that.

Rochas Man by Rochas

Rochas Man is a nice gourmand. Itís a blend of coffee (I think itís listed as ďMochaĒ on the pyramid). Itís smooth and creamy compared to most gourmands (HM, A*Men, etc). Itís also a bit safer than most. Angel, for example has a patchouli note that can be off-putting to some, and HM has a citrus note that is unusual for most gourmands. Rochas Man doesnít really have any unique aspects, and isnít terribly innovative. It is rather pleasant, though. Itís a very Ďsafeí gourmand.

Sandalo by Etro

This is one of my favorite sandalwood fragrances. I would almost call it sour, but not in a negative way. Itís a very soft and subtle sandalwood fragrance. Itís the powdery base with the sandalwood that makes it as unique as it is. Most sandalwood fragrances are creamy and sweet, but this deviates from that model greatly. My favorite Etro fragrance.

Sung Homme by Alfred Sung

Sung Homme is very weird to me. It smells, honestly, like soap and cigarettes. I love it. Itís a powerhouse of a fragrance that is clean and dirty at the same time. This is great for any man that values duality. It can be worn by anyone, anytime, which is unusual for many scents from the good Ďol 80ís. Sung Homme is a great fragrance that can be had for cheap.

"Vintage" Tabarůme by Creed

Vintage Tabarome is worlds better than Tabarome Millsime. VT is a luxurious and heady tobacco fragrance. Itís pretty stuffy, and pretty difficult to wear on a regular basis, but itís a wonderful formal fragrance. I prefer Bois du Portugal as far as vintage Creeds go, but this Creed is the epitome of confidence and class.