Fragrance Reviews from September 2005

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Tea for Two is a very nice smoky fragrance. Itís got an almost rubber like accord that adds to its unique nature. Itís a blend of sweet notes, a smoky tea notes, and a rubbery accord. Itís very unique, and it has this very soft and rounded nature that almost all LíArtisans have. Itís surprisingly easy to wear, and very long lasting.

Tťnťrť by Paco Rabanne

Tenere is a dark and brooding rose based fragrance. The packaging really does match and represent the fragrance in this case. Itís a very smooth, yet dark rose fragrance. Itís very nice and distinctive, but it has this slightly off putting bathroom like note a la Kouros. Itís nice, unique, and long lasting, but not one of my favorites.

The Dreamer by Versace

Yet another awful fragrance from the Versace line. How do they keep putting these out? This is an awful synthetic smelling blend of mint toothpaste and tobacco. Yes, its as awful as it sounds. Powdery to the extreme. Its nauseating.

Tilleul by D'Orsay

Tilleul is pleasant. I went on a Linden shopping spree recently. I ended up getting Extrait de Songe and Tilleul. I ended up selling the Tilleul. It was simply pleasant. A blend of honey and Tilleul sounds very nice, but it smelled kind of mainstream cologne like. I think it was the citrus, but there was something in Tilleul that didnít sit well with me. I kept feeling it should have been better. For Linden, I like Extrait de Songe much more.

Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels

Tsar, to me, is like a slightly watered down Jazz. Itís a nice fragrance; itís actually a beautifully contrasting floral fragrance on a woody base. I canít help but prefer Jazz though. I had a bottle of Tsar, but ended up swapping it and keeping Jazz. It all depends on which you prefer, but both are great fragrances.

Un Bois de Sťpia by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I didnít like this one at all. Itís a very very dry woody fragrance with a dry fruit note. Itís just a bit too dry for me. It kind of comes off smelling like an ashtray with a little dried fruit. A little too harsh for me.

Vetiver by Guerlain

Guerlains Vetiver is a classic. A beautiful fragrance. Itís really too bad it was reformulated recently. The new formulation makes Guerlain Vetiver seem like Guerlains Citrus with a hint of Vetiver. Vetiver is a nice gentlemanly fragrance. The citrus isnít quite as sparkling or fresh as it is on many other Vetiver interpretations like Racine and VE. Itís a classic staple that most people should own or have at least tried.

Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Voleur de Roses is one of the most beautiful and unique rose based fragrance I have come across. The blend of patchouli and rose makes this incredibly beautiful and also very earthy at the same time. There is also a ripe plum accord that makes this so rich and intoxicating. Itís perfect, mysterious, and so very unique.

Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy

Oh man, this stuff is awful. Sickeningly sweet fruit notes with a very unsettling pepper note. This is one of the only fragrances that has made me physically ill.

Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

Zino is a brilliant and amazing fragrance. I canít sing enough praise for this one. Itís easily a top three in my wardrobe. Itís a beautiful and rich floral fragrance that is like no other. I can make no comparisons. It smells like confidence and class. I will agree with the guy that said ďThis is the best cologne ever madeĒ.

Fieno / Hay by Santa Maria Novella

Hay wasnít quite was I was expecting. I was expecting a dry and hot fragrance like golden hay in summer, but instead, this was green, a little harsh, and very powdery. Not my cup of tea at all.

Pot Pourri by Santa Maria Novella

What a discordant mess!!!! This fragrance is jarring, abrasive, and just overall an unpleasant fragrance. This is a mess of spices and medicinal notes. I own some of the Pot Pourri and enjoy it, but I had to swap away the EdT of this; it is simply too unpleasant to wear.

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

MR is one of the most well made fragrances I own. Thatís the case with almost every Frederic Malle fragrance, but this is a standout star. This is a warm Oriental made with total balance and precision in mind. Vanilla, Musk, Cinnamon. This is what you would get if you took Shalimar and had a brilliant perfumer give it a modern and abstract touch Ė all minus the citrus of course. Itís simply brilliant. Itís a work of art in the world of perfumery.

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Gucci Pour Homme is a departure from most other recently released designer fragrances. Itís a leathery fragrance that at first smells very smoky. As it evolves and you smell it more, you come to realize itís not smoke you smell, but rather, a white pepper. Itís a very dry peppery leathery fragrance that comes off as smoky. Itís very interesting. It wears very differently than most other fragrances I own, also. It tends to just disappear for an hour, then show up again full strength.

Immense pour Homme by Jean-Louis Scherrer

Immense was actually my first fragrance. Dave (Ballardbeau) bought it for me. Itís the fragrance that started this entire addiction. Dave really opened my eyes to the world of fragrance. Immense is an aquatic kind of fragrance. It does do a lot: Citrus, marine, and woody, but it does them well. Itís a nice change from the typical mainstream aquatics. Itís a very nice and rare summer fragrance. It will always serve as a reminder to my wonderful friend, who got me started in all this madness. Thanks again, Dave.

Patchouli Patch by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Patchouli Patch is amazing. I ignored it for such a long time. I figured it was just another patchouli fragrance. When I finally got a bottle of it (Blind), I was blown away. Itís an almost gourmand patchouli fragrance. Itís a blend of light musk and patchouli, but it also has this amazing cream note. Patchouli Patch is an ethereal fragrance that will forever blow my mind. In my wildest dreams I wouldnít have imagined they could make a fragrance with patchouli in it smell like this.

YSL pour Homme Haute Concentration by Yves Saint Laurent

This is a very lemony herbal citrus fragrance. Itís got that mothball musty closet note that I hate so much. Itís great for what it is. I just happen to hate what it is. Itís also very strong, so go sparingly on this one.

S-Perfume v1.05 Jet Scent by S-Perfume

I love S-Perfume. Itís one of the best kept secrets in my wardrobe. Itís a very California(esque) scent. Itís like a salty, marine white musk fragrance. Itís great for summer, and Iíve had nothing but compliments with it. Itís the best marine fragrance Iíve come across.

Vťtiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

VE is a very nice vetiver rendition, but I canít help but feel there isnít much to it. I mean, I donít feel VE is much different from vetiver in EO form. Itís got a few twists and additions here and there, but I donít really feel like itís very complete or well done. I do, however, love Vetiver, and this is the closest you can get to Vetiver EO in a fragrance.

Scent by Costume National

Scent is an incredibly vibrant and vivacious floral fragrance. Itís got so much energy and life to it. If Iím not mistaken, Scent is built mainly around Hibiscus. Itís crisp, and light, but packs a surprising amount of depth. I prefer Scent to Scent Intense, because I find this easier to wear, and overall more fun. I love wearing it in summer, and get tons of compliments on it.

Scent Intense by Costume National

Scent Intense is VERY similar to Scent. Scent Intense is a little heavier on the woods. Itís a little thicker, and a little richer. I feel this kind of takes away from what makes Scent so great. Scents light and crisp nature is what made it so much fun to wear. This makes it a bit more serious. I like Scent Intense a lot, but I think Scent is a lot more wearable.

Gomma by Etro

Gomma is an odd one. Itís a very cold leather fragrance. I know it sounds crazy, but I swear there is some sort of aquatic note in there. Itís all really off putting. I donít like the combination very much: Aquatic notes, leather, and jasmine? There are many better leather fragrances out there.

Heliotrope by Etro

Heliotrope is a wonderful gourmand fragrance. It smells a lot like marzipan. Itís very sweet and thick, and can get cloying pretty easily, but on cold winter days, itís beyond comforting. I recommend this to any heliotrope or almond fan.

MŻre et Musc ExtrÍme by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I love MeME. The original Mure et Musc is softer, and the citrus is much more dominant. MeME is a bit harsher and even a little acerbic in the first fifteen minutes, but it dries down quite a bit deeper and richer than Mure et Musc. The berry note is also much stronger. I like it a lot, and it lasts for days. Itís great for summer and casual wear.

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Dzing! always puts a smile on my face. The only downside to this fragrance, is that I always feel uncomfortable putting a lower case letter after an exclamation point. This is a leather based fragrance that smells like the circus: leather, sawdust, animalic notes, and a sugary sweet note. If you could make a candied leather dessert, it would smell like the drydown of Dzing! Also, Dzing! has garnered so many compliments from people. Dzing! is such an off the beaten path fragrance, and so pleasant. Itís great.

Musk by Lorenzo Villoresi

I love LV Musk! This is the only Lorenzo Villoresi scent that I like. Itís not terribly musky, but rather, I find it to be a powdery rose fragrance with musk accents. Itís the only Villoresi scent thatís well balanced, and in my opinion, well made. I will agree with Paul, that this is a fragrance of balance. Oh Mr. Villoresi, how very French of you!

Nostalgia by Santa Maria Novella

I canít even begin to express how special Nostalgia is to me. I am huge car lover, and this brings me back to my best days. This is an amazingly unique fragrance that is reminiscent of motor oil, rubber, and leather with gasoline like top notes. Nostalgia is one of my favorite fragrances. Anyone who loves cars will love Nostalgia.

Piper Nigrum by Lorenzo Villoresi

Piper Nigrum was the let down of the year for me. I was expecting a rich and exotic pepper based fragrance, but instead, what I got was a minty fragrance that was so totally out of proportion. Piper Nigrum is a mťlange of strong and powerful notes that didnít really complement or work with each other. It has that typical Villoresi style that is so stereotypically Italian.

Loukhoum by Keiko Mecheri

I love Loukhoum. When I first smelled it, it was unlike anything I had come across. Itís a very sweet fragrance, but not overly thick. Most of these heliotrope/cherry fragrances are a little too thick and sweet (e.g. Loukoum by SL, Heliotrope by Etro, POTL). Loukhoum is slightly powdery, which is another facet that makes it rather unique. It also has a very nice rose note. A great fragrance to quell a sweet tooth.

H.O.T. Always by Bond No. 9

I was so shocked when I first tried HOT Always. I had no idea how I could have missed such an amazing fragrance. This is a red hot fragrance. It has notes of patchouli, cinnamon, and grass. It smells amazing. The grass and cinnamon mix perfectly with the patchouli creating a sensation that I have never experienced with a fragrance before. This is also slightly similar to Gentleman by Givenchy; HOT Always takes all the good aspects from Gentleman, leaves the civet and urine, and adds a few finishing touches. Two thumbs way up!