Latest Perfume Reviews

Brit for Men by Burberry

opens with a crisp fresh citrus with a little zing from the ginger...right of the bat has a dry/dusty/powdery feel and powdery smell effect...in that transitional phase as the citrus dries down and right before the rose perks up what I get for a short stretch is hand lotion...seems to project pretty good...a decent, safe fragrance...dry/powdery transparent rose made even drier feeling from the faint cedar background...typical musky/woody drydown...
IMHO not a buy Powdery Citrusy Woody Rose
04th August, 2015

Lothair by Penhaligon's

Lothair is a difficult fragrance to deconstruct because there are several complex tonal chords that are happening. There is a cooling oceanic salty scent that is combination of the figs, vetiver, juniper and grapefruit that feels like ocean cooled winds. A dry black woody tea / wenge / cedar note that adds an ancient mariner feel to the oceanics. But the base of the scent is very warm, heading towards sweetness but is balanced very well before becoming too sweet - fig milk, vanilla, magnolia. The fragrance reminds me a little of the sweet and dry of Habit Rouge EDT and also of Diptypque's Eau Duelle with its tea and vanilla woods. The combination is a concerto of blended ancient dryness and friendly warmth. I am surprised that I like this fragrance as much as I do. It helps to give it a chance and let it move and evolve. A very nice creation and one of the better Penhaligon's for men.
04th August, 2015

Colony (new) by Jean Patou

The old Colony is a pineapple chypre; a syrupy pineapple set against bitter oakmoss, unusual and striking, and clearly from a different time period.

The new version is called "a modern adaption" by Patou. It's no longer a chypre, but a polite fruity floral. It opens with a fresh pineapple, together with a smoky note, it then sweetens slightly, with other sheer fruity notes mixed in, and ends with an sweetish, indistinct musky base.

Not a lot of projection, it stays close to the skin and has decent longevity.

I'm glad they made the pineapple so prominent, and the smoky note added some interest, but after the opening it goes pretty flat. The push-pull elements that made old Colony interesting is missing. In their quest to make Colony elegant and adult, and compatible for a new millennium, they forgot to give it much of a personality.

Notturno by Meo Fusciuni

This is lousy. The perfumer is using the notorious rum ether — a distinctive, immediately recognizable raw material that’s rich and boozy but dissipates in (I’m not kidding) 30 seconds. For as lovely as that material smells, it’s worthless in perfume and is clearly intended for use in flavoring. Anyhow, once Notturno's rum has burned off, you’re left with a ghastly charred caramel that’s slammed against something licorice-like to produce “ink.” It is inky (think glossy magazine smell), but it’s the olfactory equivalent of a thousand paper cuts.

Phi - Une Rose de Kandahar by Tauer

A timid rose resting on a pillow of apricot. It’s not a juicy apricot though; it’s more like the dried apricot snacks you grab at the checkout. Aside from that, vetiver, patchouli, and a milky-vanillic base signify, but there’s not much else. It reminds me of a derelict L’Ombre Fauve only with a vague rose tucked behind its ear. All in all, it’s a bit too flat and unemotional — and emotion is somewhat of a requirement for a rose perfume, I think.

Monsieur Lanvin by Lanvin

Someone brought up Carnation note today in a Forum. I reached for my small, prized bottle of this stuff. Top notes of Lemon, Bergamot etc have faded somewhat. Geranium and Carnation hearts still beat strongly. The Civet is present, strong and is crafted gloriously into the melange. My present day Eau d'Hermes is put to shame in regards to the elegant use of this note. The slightly camphorous note in Carnation is extraordinary.

Notes by Robert Piguet

Despite its evident lack of originality this modern fragrance is surely daring and well appointed, perfect for a charming "clothed in white-linen suit" south-american business man, constantly rolling around for restaurants, meeting places, Grand Hotels and lounge bars. Robert Piguet Notes is a minty and balmy-floral chypre (with a classic fougere approach) which, re-interpreting a quite successful aromatic formula, actually sounds as an indeal olfactory encounter between scents a la Faconnable by Faconnable, Ted Lapidus Black Soul, Krizia Spazio Uomo, Ungaro III and Jacques Bogart Silver Scent (partially Bogart Pour Homme as well). Synthetic soapiness is quite under control (finally kind of talky, woody powdery and minty violet-veined), sweetness is at fair level (actually balanced by a kind of organic and simil-leathery "saltiness") and the spiciness is velvety, finally somewhat piquant and well calibrated. "Stuffs" like mint, musks, coriander, clary sage and lavender (the latter not listed) represent an aromatic and slightly (classically) barber-shop introduction ready to merge its fresh substance with a more soapy, floral, musky and exotic ambery (ambroxan)-tonkinian backbone. Bergamot/lavender, tonka, oakmoss and geranium provide an immediately classic (classically fougere) angular approach which turns out by soon in a minty-balmy intoxicating way characterized by neroli, exotic spices, "colonial" vetiver and balmy tonka. Vetiver is extremely classy, "minty-tropical" and alluring. The note of mint is daring, fascinating and "spacious" with all its own aromatic and intriguing spiciness conjuring me Krizia Spazio (and vaguely the classic Carlo Corinto and Carlo Corinto Silver) especially before that a soapy-tonkinian dry down starts embracing the elements in to a comforting musky embrace. Frankly I love the way in which Notes preserves its average sharpness despite its intriguing light balminess (substantially in a middle way between talkiness, powder and soapiness). A medium rating just for its lack of uniqueness despite on my skin this fragrance is the best interpretation of the aforementioned yet classic formula. Moderate sillage, good longevity.

P.S: Dry down is pretty good, really spicy, resinous-aromatic, kind of more "restrained", luxurious and virile (in a sort of amberish and "dirty-sweated" way). I detect a sort of rubbery/salty/ambery/nutty vibe surrounded by piquant spices, clary sage and kind of birch tar (or aromatic spices in general).

P.S 2: I disagree about the assumed short evolution of this fragrance and the deep dry down is finally on my skin really close to the Ungaro III's base notes, being it so nutty-tonkinian, mossy, woody-rosey, spicy-rooty, "by vetiver-influenced" and mossy-amberish. Ungaro III and Piguet Notes (which is anyway initially different, more minty-aromatic and spicy) share indeed a lot of notes as oakmoss, clary sage, vetiver, geranium, rosewood, amber, coriander, mild spices, aromatic patterns, neroli, bergamot, etc etc.
02nd August, 2015 (last edited: 03rd August, 2015)
yarn Show all reviews

Intense Pepper by Montale

Starts off with a realistic pepper hit and then quickly turns into Greyland by the same house

Only other minor difference is that there is a fraction more citrus running through this but other than that, it is Greyland
01st August, 2015

Eau Sauvage Parfum by Christian Dior

Accidentally bought this meaning to get classic Eau Sauvage, but clicked the wrong button. Tried it anyway, at height of summer. Big mistake. Huge. That first impression was that it was smothering and opaque, too strong, too sweet.

Tried it again now that the weather's cold, and love it. Will be wearing it a lot this winter. I'm no expert, but see this as a stripped-down classic chypre, with the progression of bitter herbal/citrus, sweet resinous, deep earthiness.

In the heat this is a getitoffgetitoffgetitoff crawl-out-of-my-skin scrubber, but in winter, an entirely different beast.

01st August, 2015
Katana Show all reviews

Adidas Extreme Power Special Edition by Adidas

First, keep in mind that this is Adidas, it's going to cost about 10 bucks for 100ML if you shop around just a little, it's not niche, it's not high priced, it is, simply Adidas, and for the price, it is quite nice. The top notes, to me, center on bergamot and lemon,and it is very nice to my nose. Next comes the apple and it hangs around a while, remember it is synthetic apple of course, but it's not a bad synthetic, the coffee I don't detect at all and geranium MIGHT be there in the background. The base to me, is mostly white cedar wood and tonka but it works pretty well with maybe a hint of the sandalwood and patchouli peeking out shyly. The longevity (for me) is about 4 good hours maybe up to 6 or more if you tend to get good longevity but you can still detect it as a skin scent even longer. The projection is decent first 2-3 hours but then subsides to more intimate encounter ranges. All in all it is a safe blind buy if you like other Adidas scents or those in that vein, I doubt you will offend anyone and it may garner a compliment or two. I think this is good as a casual every day type scent or even a casual lunch date sort of thing, and of course that "after gym" sort of scent if you are into that. I gave it a thumbs up for scent and reasonable longevity.
Larr7 Show all reviews

Ultimate K'Oud 75214 by Krigler

Nice Fragrance, But smells almost identical to Creed Himalaya, which I already own. I sprayed this onto a card and it had a little different smell. But, on my skin, this does smell like Himalaya. I already own Himalaya and have given it to my son. I like a lot of the Krigler's, but do not plan to own this scent!

Santal Noble by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

An opulent and very satisfying sandalwood fragrance, Santal Noble is another great Maître Parfumeur and Gantier accomplishment. Together with Ambre Précieux and Route du Vétiver, it makes up something like a “Great Trio” in Jean Laporte’s original 1988 lineup, those three remaining to this day the crown jewels of this house. Santal Noble is all about sandalwood, highlighting the rough and woody aspects of the note over its more conventionally accentuated creamy or balsamic sides. During its development, the sandalwood finds itself elegantly backed up by a large assortment of supporting notes like amber, spices, and incense, as well as a distinctive touch of coffee, making this an impressive and truly gratifying woody oriental. Like most other fragrances in MPG’s “Parfums du Levant” series, Santal Noble makes an audacious statement: it is baroque, grand, even monumental, yet, amazingly, it is also very easy to wear and never gets heavy or cloying. Well executed, masterfully blended, and one of the best sandalwoods out there.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Zagorsk by Comme des Garçons

Exactly the same as Cacharel Pour Homme, Loewe 7 and Bang ( Marc Jacobs ) mayby a little bit " colder " but it' s the same range. Very bad available in the Netherlands, were I live. I prefer Loewe 7 the longlivety is much better.

7 de Loewe by Loewe

A shameless copy of Zagorsk CDG, Cacharel Pour Homme and Bang ( Marc Jacobs ) . But I like it !

Monsieur Balmain (new) by Pierre Balmain

I tried the new version in the square bottle. It has none of the complexity (the old version had little complexity, but the new version has even less) and charm of the older version. It doesn't have that oakmoss counterpoint in it. It is a very faint lemon, very linear, and has almost zero projection and sillage.

Lacoste L!VE by Lacoste

Boring and bland, completely hate it. It is heavy on my skin and the dry down smells atrocious on my skin, a very green scent that isn't refreshing or light. Projection and sillage are also very poor. Skip this one!

Renshaw by Murdock

A very pleasant scent, unisex in style. Meant to evoke the scent of a "well manicured English lawn" as encountered in a game of croquet or tennis.
The scent starts crisp and dry. The pink grapefruit is a brilliant touch, and is very refreshing and brisk. The florals come together in a well-designed manner. Delicate, not too sweet, giving a light green chord. The violet and lily of the valley hold centre court. Violet has its haunting, ghostly silver aspect here. The dry-down is a tiny tiny bit sweet but it is not problematic. Quite a charming, spring-like scent.

Cardinal by Heeley

Not much to add - this smells really good, with just the right level of strength or 'power', in my opinion. I mostly smell frankincense which I guess is olibanum or close to the same thing. Smells like it is made from high quality ingredients.

I give it a thumbs up but I already own CdG 2 Man, which is somewhat like this but better in my opinion, more complex with a little variety within the fragrance. They both have that clean incense vibe, like a light burning incense. Which I do like but I don't need both. From Heeley I would rather wear Spirit of the Tiger.

Gold Rose Oudh by Tiziana Terenzi

On my skin oud and patchouli are the two dominant players that constitute the dual leitmotif defining this scent and remaining present throughout its whole development. Initially bergamot is added, but it can only provide a bit of initial freshness amongst the two main players. The patchouli is a top-of-the-range, dark, brooding yet well defined patchouli, with a stem-like wood impression and a fairly harsh peppery spiciness, reminding me at some stage of Tom Ford's purple patchouli - just with less violet character. The oud is also dark, deep, rich and so convincing that I wonder whether a touch of the natural stuff might have been added, although given cost and rarity as well as the unholy obsession with laboratory synthesis amongst today's perfume producers that is hardly ever done these days. One lives in hope! The oud is very convincing and of prime quality.

In the drydown a rich, velvety and softly dark Bulgarian rose arises, the third of the main actors on this olfactory can stage. A very good and convincing rose this is indeed.

The drydown keeps up the high standard that is present so far. An ambery impression that is unlike the usual synthetic thin versions of it, and a sandalwood note provide the foundation of the base, with a dark and spicy musk continuing the theme form the beginning. Touches of honeyed and tonka sweetness round off this olfactoric magical tour.

Performance is nigh stellar: strong sillage, great projection and ten hours of longevity on my skin.

The house of Tiziana Terenzi is truly focusedly niche, but this is the first of their fragrances that I sampled that bears hallmarks of convincing stature: high-quality ingredients, very well blended whilst maintaining structure, and one of the few oud product in that recent deluge that is worth taking seriously. 3.5/5

Eternity Now for Men by Calvin Klein

Tested this today....Drum roll........
This of Calvin Klein's best !!!
The first sniff is soooooo awesome..
I get tropical..but NOT suntan lotion tropical....Fruity...yes.. sweet...very light hint of coconut...not a vanilla coconut...and finally...woody ...
This is love at first sniff for me. However...the sillage and projection is only average....sound familiar??
CK has this constant problem IMO. But...this one is still full bottle worthy for me. This type of scent seems to be the current "vibe" or "trend" now. I just bought Boucheron Quatre pour Homme....awesome scent..and is in the same vein as CK Eternity Now....they don't smell alike...but are in the same vein...weight...air. Also ..I could include Dior Homme for me is in this vein, and maybe Lanvin L'Eclat Homme..and even CK Reveal. Give this one a try !!!!
Bigsly Show all reviews

Unbreakable Bond / Unbreakable by Khloé and Lamar

If you like apple notes except when these are sharp, this is one to consider. There is a hint of chocolate, wood, etc., but the apple is the star of the show and lasts a long time. It's definitely not too sweet or syrupy, and it is a touch musky (no major "laundry musk," thankfully). And the florals are in check as well. So, it's very good for all kinds of social situations, and it's certainly not a "blob" scent, but if you are used to niche then my guess is you'll find this underwhelming (such as if you were to compare it to Apple Brandy).

Calling All Angels by April Aromatics

I just received this in the mail, and although I've been sweating like a whore in church today, I decided to test it.

It is decidedly a fall/winter scent, as it is rich, luxurious, and enveloping. I feel as though I should be wearing a favorite cashmere sweater, sitting by a fire, with a hot Toddy in hand or mulled wine.

The Labdanum is powerful and delicious - and I know the scent well, as I have a 1/2 oz of the stuff (all brown and sticky) from Eden Botanicals and it is yummy! The frankincense is prettier than I had expected...lighter. The richness of the honey, amber, and opopanax is spiced with the incense in such a way that they never overwhelm. They simply dance with each other, and each comes forth to the front from time to time without causing much of a scene.

While I'm not quite sure which "precious woods" the accord imbibes, I feel as though I should now don a winter coat and scarf, and travel with my beloved on a moonlit walk through piney woods.

This bottle was purchased blindly, and I am so very happy I took the chance. Fall cannot arrive soon enough!

Midnight Fantasy by Britney Spears

Bought a small bottle on clearance for $7. My daughter use to love the original. The original made a statement. This one is mildly pleasant. I love the bottle.

Lovestruck by Vera Wang

Found this on clearance so bought it without testing it. I figured it was worth the $15 dollars for the pretty little bottle (and I do mean little). It is very light and does not last. Not memorable.

Essential Sport by Lacoste

Very average aquatic that I've smelled too many times before. Not a bad fragrance, just too boring for me. 6/10

Azzaro Pour Homme Night Time by Azzaro

Not bad. Seems ni ce for spring and summer months. The mixture of bitter orange and rhubarb is a nice twist. The sillage is not as good as I expected, but for the price I can't complain. 7/10

Rouge Nocturne by Terry de Gunzburg

Soft, super soapy rose; what's not to like. A bit of a grower and fast becoming an easy go-to work frag, this easy to wear understated rose belies it's initial blasts with an oud-y spicy dry down. Nothing objectionable. A lovely gift, but I wouldn't pay full price.

Cleopatra by Tocca

This fragrance is almost an identical twin to Narciso Rodriguez For Her--the primary difference to me is that the NR has a more floral jasmine component and Cleopatra has a citrusy grapefruit opening (I don't get much citrus from NR) and a stronger musk basenote. I also think that Cleopatra is slightly bolder with better sillage than the Narciso (although neither is particularly strong). But they are very similar so if you like Narciso Rodriguez For Her you will probably like Tocca Cleopatra.

I came across this perfume while searching for something "natural" smelling. Okay, really, it's because I live in the southeastern US, known for its extremely hot and extremely muggy summers, and I wanted something that I could wear on a daily basis that would smell nice while I was hot and/or sweaty, and that would bend with my natural chemistry to not be off-putting. I absolutely cannot wear traditional "florals" in the heat because they inevitably combine with my sweat to create this gross cut-grass smell.

I came across the Tocca line at Anthropologie (I had previously never heard of it) and was immediately intrigued by the beautiful bottles. To be 100% honest, I didn't like Cleopatra at first, especially inside the store. But based on the description, it sounded like what I was looking for so I gave it a try. It didn't really stand out to me until I stepped outside into the humid heat to go back to my car and then all of a sudden it hit me. A beautiful aroma of jasmine blended perfectly with the hint of patchouli and slightly sweaty musk. "This is it!" I thought to myself.

I was pretty excited to find something that matched my skin chemistry so well, but I did get a sample to test a few more times to make sure. I wore it to a few outdoor events (festivals, volleyball, cookouts) and still loved it so I bought a bottle (a .68 oz EDP so I could take it on my honeymoon to Southeast Asia).

I traveled to Vietnam and Cambodia for my honeymoon in the dead of summer (July). At 97 degrees (36-37 C) and almost 100% humidity every day, this scent was absolutely perfect. Something about the humidity really brings this fragrance to life--it's a very subtle but exceedingly pleasant jasmine heart that plays well with the sweaty musk and your own natural fragrance and sweat. In Cambodia, my hotel gifted me a fresh wreath of jasmine flowers upon arrival. It was gloriously fragrant and I compared it to the Cleopatra I was wearing and it was a perfect match.

I know I'm focusing a lot on the outdoor/sweat aspect of this fragrance, but how does it do indoors? I find it just as pleasant and beautiful inside in the AC, although it takes on more of a delicate persona. It remains subtle and elegant enough for the office, but has a sexy allure for a date night or a night out on the town. My husband loves it and I've gotten compliments from my female friends as well.

To sum up, this is my go-to fragrance for summer because it blends well with my skin's chemistry and reminds me of beautiful, faraway lands. It excels in humid environments, which really open up and unleash the fragrance in all its glory. It's definitely not for everyone, but don't pass up the opportunity to at least try it!

Dior Homme Cologne (2013) by Christian Dior

I bought this for my husband because he needed a good summer fragrance, and it turned out to be perfect! As many have mentioned, it's a very zesty citrus opening (lemon-lime, or a fresh cut of lemongrass) which transitions to iced sweet tea and gradually develops into a cedar-infused musk.

The fragrance lasts a long time (4-5 hours) despite being a cologne, and it's never overpowering.

My husband wears it as an everyday fragrance, and I'm glad I got the larger bottle because I must admit, I sneak a spray in here and there on myself--it definitely works for men and women as it is neither overly feminine or masculine.

It's very reasonably priced so I think this will be a summer staple. Versatile, alluring, and refreshing, this one is sure to please.

Tibetan Mountain Temple by Pacifica

Pacifica needs to improve the bottle seal (unless I got a dud) because it evaporates way too fast. (In general, I dislike sprays for this reason.)