Fragrance Reviews from September 2005

Dinner by Bobo

Dinner by Bobo is such a fun fragrance. I don’t get the reviews some people give about it smelling like “Grease, Cheese, and BO”. This is a rich gourmand fragrance that is both sweet and spicy. The cumin helps make this fragrance as remarkable as it is. The closest fragrance I could ever compare it to is Arabie, but this is not nearly as strong, and not quite as rough; Dinner is soft, comforting, and daring at the same time. Very nice.

Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is an odd one. It’s a very dry and earthy fragrance. It’s very heavy on Vetiver, and has an odd fruit note. The fruit is always in the background, while the dry grassy and woody notes are dominant. It’s very exotic and always reminds me of a far away place. It’s not exactly the most wearable fragrance in the L’Artisan line, but it is worth owning/sampling. I like it.

Silver Cologne by Amouage

Wow, this is a tough one to describe. This is a modern, sharp, and masculine floral fragrance that has a very rich and heavy hand to it. It smells very silver in and of itself, which is what gives it that modern edge. It’s got a kind of metallic accord that reminds me of the colour silver. It’s very rich, and very long lasting. A great fragrance for year round use, in any situation.

Hamptons by Bond No. 9

I recently acquired Hamptons. It was actually the last summer fragrance I purchased. It’s great; it’s like a crispier, tarter version of Creed SMW. Removing that currant note from SMW takes a lot of the weight away, and makes it easier to wear. Hamptons worked amazingly well in the hot and humid summers in the south. I have found no other fragrance that can cut through the humidity so well. Hamptons is sour and oceanic with a cucumber note that makes it really amazing and deep.

levente's avatar

Équipage by Hermès

The patchouli in the basenote adds a wonderful smokiness to the predominant carnation note, resulting in a superb floral for men that can be worn for many occasions, though I tend to prefer it when dressed up. I would agree with the other reviewers who recommend this for the middle age and up crowd. As with other Hermes fragrances, the quality is top notch.

Sui Dreams by Anna Sui

This is a really pretty fragrance. For some reason, this is what I expected Trish #9 to smell like. Warm, fruity and sweet. I'm fragrance sensitive and this one never bothered me. It's not terribly long lasting but you can find it cheap enough to spritz away at your hearts desire.

Spring Flower by Creed

I've tried so hard to love this. The bottle: gorgeous. The notes: spectacular. So what seems to be the problem? The rotten melon and cedar note I get from it. Headache inducing on my poor fragrance sensitive brain. Smells great in the bottle but just not on me. I envy all of you who can wear this, because I sure wish I could(even my husband loves it).

Marc Jacobs for Men by Marc Jacobs

Mmmm, is the best way to describe this. Sweet, fig & wood scented bliss. For some reason this smells so much better on my husband than me(I had to try to wear it since I love how he smells). It's perfection in a bottle.

Lea by Lea St Barth

This is pure comfort in a bottle. Almond, vanilla and musk. Long lasting, sweet, feminine, kind of hard to find(so everyone isn't wearing it). If my husband liked vanilla this would be my signature fragrance but he doesn't...so it's not. But if you like vanilla or your SO does, then definately get your hands on a bottle of this nectar.

Ren's avatar

L'Eau de Gouverneur / L'Homme by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

really fantastic. totally subtle and pleasant, but so original at the same time. I really love this one. It smells like cotton and linen but not tacky linen like a Yankee candle, just soft like cloth. This is a super fragrance. I HIGHLY recommend it. Should fit almost anyone like a second skin.

Adepta's avatar

Patchouly by Etro

A very refined and yet earthy and sensous patchouly blend - try it if you like patchouly, the concept of orient, and a bit of mystery, but do not want to smell too exotic. This is a rather severe interpretation, an elegant and adult perfume. Excellent.
    -- Edited May 2011.

19th September, 2005 (Last Edited: 03rd May, 2011)

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Dunhill for Men by Dunhill

Quite simply, Dunhill's best. Masculine and distinct. It has the power of the great fragrances of the 30's without the musty or oily overtones. Hard to name a warmer, more refined scent.

benb's avatar

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

Since I bought this one I have changed my mind about it. The topnotes are great but then it waters down to a mellow boring green fragrance. I change to neutral on this one.
    benb

20th September, 2005 (Last Edited: 13th November, 2006)

Ombre Rose L'Original by Jean-Charles Brosseau

A sultry, envelopingly honeylike rose in the manner of my all-time favorite fragrance, Guerlain Nahema. Happily, Ombre Rose is just different enough from Nahema to warrant its own special spot in my collection. Both fragrances open with peach and aldehydes but where Nahema is also green with hyacinth and bergamot, Ombre Rose features the spicy thrum of geranium. The heart and base of both scents are very similar but where Nahema deepens into a rosey, florally, fruit honey with traces of spice and a foundation of soft balsams, Ombre Rose veers just a bit more toward the powdery end of the spectrum with its notes of iris, tonka and heliotrope. It's funny, because tonka is so synonymous with so many of the classic Guerlains and forms the basis, along with vanilla (which Ombre also has) of the famouds Guerlinade- the Ombre Rose is in some ways more classically Guerlain-esque than the Nahema, which also has tonka in its base but not as markedly so. Anyway, there's more than enough room in my heart for both, and besides, the delicately divine bottle design of Ombre Rose is reason enough to keep it in my lineup.

Castelbajac by Jean-Charles Castelbajac

Killer bottle, killer scent - a sharp, so sharp opening blast that fades to clean, soft, powdery beauty. Castelbajac is interesting that way; all the seriously intense aspects of all the notes, from the orange blossom to the almond to the patchouli and sandalwood, come at you so powerfully upon application. The closest I can think of to what it's like is something from Prince Matchabelli that one of my grandmothers used to wear, something that blasted sharp sweetness to an extreme. But then, soon after, precisely these same notes become as fresh and soothing as a newly laundered chenille blanket, heavy on the fabric softener. Throughout all, a trace of Elmer's glue. (That's got to be from the almond as well.) I've read that Jean-Charles Castelbajac himself was seeking to recreate olfactory cues from his own childhood with this, and I definitely "get" the connections. This is nostalgia of sorts in a Pop Art package and is one of my favorite comfort scents because it's got an edge to it; it's a bit more challenging than something that's just plain old sweet. I would compare it most closely to Etro Heliotrope, which also develops into a clean scent on my skin, but would give Castelbajac a slightly higher rating as it's just a more complicated and interesting take on fragrance to me.

Hypersouk by M.A.C

Hyper fruit cake is how I've always referred to this fragrance. Think figgy, raisin-y and incredibly dense cake, heavily spiced and soaked in brandy, and you'll get the essence of Hypersouk. The fragrance itself aligns closely with its actual composition - quince (which can be very fig-like), plum, cinnamon and bay rum. There are also notes of red rose and vanilla, which bestow a bit of the spirit of loukhoum (a Middle Eastern confection flavored with fragrant rosewater) into the blend. And so "dessert bazaar" would be another fitting name for this, then. But as with any good spread of rich confections, Hypersouk can easily be OD'd upon; it's so incredibly intense that one dab easily lasts 24 hours, no exaggeration. This discontinued scent was sold as a "three pack" of vials; the fragrance comes in oil form. Given its hyper-potency, I quickly gave away two of the three bottles I had and am still not even close to being halfway through the one bottle I still own. Can be enchanting when worn on the right kind of cool, gray, cloudy November day.

Asphalt Flower by M.A.C

The name of this fragrance is absolutely dead-on -sounds like something from a graphic novel by Frank Miller ("Sin City") and smells like it, too. Who knew florals could be so black and slinky? They are here: there's an intense vanilla-esque queen of the night flower (also found in Dior Addict), a viciously sweet night blooming jasmine and a black violet so deeply powdery that it nearly wraps itself around your throat. In case it's not obvious by now, this is not an easy fragrance to pull off; it's both sinister and incredibly sexy in a way that can only be described as doomed. Makes me think of latex and festishistically high heels, alleys at night nearly pitch dark save for one harsh cold flourescent street light in the distance...Great for conjuring up imagery but I can't wear this one to save my soul, it's just too-too-too wrong for me. If I suddenly dropped everything and took up a deeply Goth lifestyle overnight then yes, this would be perfection. Is that why I keep a vial of this hanging around? I never wear it but since it's discontinued, I like to have it in my collection, just in case...

MV2 by M.A.C

An unusual, slightly masculine, rather remote vanilla fragrance from MAC. You'll find no warmth or coziness here, and on certain days the whole thing can smell a bit off. MV2 opens with a discernible lavendar - hence the masculine air -and then moves into a fairly sweet vanilla that's bizarrely grassy and a little lemony around the edges. All the notes have an airy, not-quite-real thing going on, as if they've been spun out of a laboratory and puffed up with helium; the whole fragrance seems to float just above the surface of the skin and never really sinks in at all. An oddly alienating fragrance that I can never decide whether I like or not; it's definitely a weird one. I do get the occasional compliment on it, though, and get the impression that it smells better to the beholder than the wearer. It also has a curiously good staying power; it goes on light to begin with but never really fades away, even after a full day. An enigma, this one is. BTW - I have a feeling it's on its way to being discontinued, as it's become near-to-impossible to find at the MAC counters I frequent. So stock up if you love it!

Absolutely Fabulous by Revlon

Absolutely In Your Face would be an apt descriptive for the opening notes of this fragrance, which comes on with a heavily alcohol-toned, cinnamon-fueled fury that doubles-slaps you across both cheeks before standing back and giving you a load of its curvy but too-sweet "double tuberose" (which is the actual name given to the tuberose note here - fits the bill, too.) Once all that commotion has taken its toll, this fragrance becomes rather calmly introspective and dare I say far more serene than fabulous; its soft, warm turn towards white musk and woods and "temple incense" is surprising but welcomed. It is at this stage that Absolutely Fabulous becomes worth putting up with; how it literally converts from something so brazen and loud to something so relatively gentle and sensual is beyond me. I still barely wear it because the opening accord bothers me so, but I wouldn't necessarily write it off as just another drugstore scent either. Plus the frou-frou marabou-ringed bottle looks so cute standing next to the black-lace gartered Chantall Thomass bottle on my dresser; it's like a meeting of the burlesque ladies club!

Skinlights by Revlon

Darn near impossible to find but worth at least trying to track down if you enjoy fresh, sheer skin scents. Revlon Skinlights always reminds me of Sprite soda with its effervescence and citrusy crispness; the fragrance's main notes are clementine, lavender and ginger. The only problem with it is a tiny hint of sourness at the top of the composition; I assume it's the clementine, and it can be a tad sickening if you spray on too much of this at once. The lasting power of Skinlights is bizarrely remarkable; it must be the lavender that gives it its tenacity, and for a sheer scent you'd be surprised how long a ways just a little of this goes. As far as smell-alikes go, there's a fragrance by Ultima (a sister brand to Revlon) called Head Over Heels that reminds me quite a bit of Skinlights; the Head Over Heels is in a pink bottle with legs - yes, legs, pink plastic legs - sticking out of the top. It's a touch more floral than the Skinlights but not tremendously different in spirit.

Python by Trussardi

If you can get past the very intense, medicinal, Dior Poison-like opening of Trussardi Python, you will be richly rewarded with a positively edible, gourmand-focused and shockingly soft, velvety fragrance. I still remember trying Python for the first time, back when it was launched in 1999; I spritzed it on at Sephora, recoiled in horror ("ewww, Poison!" - not a fan of the infamously strong purple juice, never have been) and moved right along down the fragrance shelf to find something more agreeable. It wasn't until I was nearly out of the store that I noticed something on me that smelled like a spiced, very deep, dark, high cocoa-content chocolate I'd had from Richart (a fancy chocolate maker) blended with sweet resin and vanilla. It took me at least a minute to remember what I could have spritzed that smelled like that, and finally realized it had to have been the Python, as everything else I'd tried had been basically florally. Well, I marched back into that store, got a bottle and have been in love with it ever since. I don't wear it terribly often; it's quite potent, even in its softer gourmand drydown stage, and can be cloying if overapplied. It's also not terribly easy to find. But it's worth the search, as it's terribly unique and sensual. Perfumebay does have it from time to time, so check it out!

Skin by Trussardi

A fragrance that's so unobtrusive it's impossible to really hate, in spite of the clashing base of cedar that throws the whole rest of the balance of notes completely off. Here you have a fruity-aquatic-floral story consisting of bergamot, violet leaves, mandarin, orange, apple, jasmine, lily of the valley and just a smidge of pink pepper for liveliness and warmth. Sounds perfectly nice, right? Nothing too heavy or offensive, just in need of a firm but complimentary basenote or two, perhaps something a bit resin-y or else clean anfd gentle. Instead, though, you get pencil shavings, closet fresheners, hamster cage - in other words, cedar, and far too much of it. All the sweet notes from the fruits just bring out the cedar even more and make it all the more medicinal and pungent. It just seems so wrong to me; I get the pairing of cedar with straight citrus, a combination that shows up in at least half a dozen popular scents, but mixing it with other fruits strikes me as a mistake. That being said, I have put up with the bothersome cedar and gone through several bottles of this because it is so light and casual, great for the weekends or whenever you just want something low-key. Recently, though, I stumbled on another fragrance that takes all the positive aspects of Trussardi Skin and combines them with a fabulous soft white musk base that is just such an improvement on the pencil shavings scenario. That fragrance? Victoria's Secret Body by Victoria. If you like Trussardi Skin, definitely try out the Body; it's amazing.

Pink by Victoria's Secret

A cheery, bright, optimistic fragrance that comes off a bit brassy in the top part of the composition but dires down beautifully and has surprisingly good staying power. As with just about every Victoria's Secret scent - save perhaps two or three - Pink has that floral-fruity thing going on for the most part, and in this case we're talking *pink* flowers and *pink* fruits, particularly grapefruit (though I think that's more the mandarin - pink mandarin? - and bergamot coming through, as grapefruit's not actually used here.) The topnotes are a bit tart and a bit fresh but also a bit fake. It's not until you're well into the drydown that the scent loses its fakish edge and begins to smell like soft peonies and freesia, tempered by a jot of spicy warmth from the juniper. Eventually, the florals too fade and you're left with a dusky, lightly powdery scent that remains, subtly, for a remarkably long time. Two sprays on the same spot easily lasts up to eight hours, which is truly impressive for something relatively light to begin with and not all that intense.

Body by Victoria by Victoria's Secret

Despite being seriously underwhelmed by the name of this fragrance - sounds like the name of a gym or else one of those "slimming tonics" that come out every so often - I went ahead and gave this fragrance a try and have been impressed with it more than I would have ever thought possible. It's very much a fruity-aquatic floral, a category of scent that doesn't thrill the socks off me - but unlike other fruity-aquatic florals I've had and been less than blown away by, this one possesses (a) remarkable staying power and (b) a stunning drydown. The top and middle parts of the scent tend to the bland - crushed leaves, freesia, mandarin, water hyacinth, cucumber. Nothing thrilling, though there is also stephanotis, which I love for its dry spiciness. Perhaps that helps spark up the composition somewhat. But it's the simple-enough sounding basenotes of white musk and sandalwood that make for a drydown that is creamy, a touch powdery and almost praline-like without being sweet. I'm guessing it's the white musk that smells so lovely and brings out the best in the rest of the fragrance. What Body by Victoria reminds me of most is Trussardi Skin, which smells very similar at the top and in the middle but is ruined by a hugely cedar base that reeks of "eau de hamster cage." Body by Victoria gets it right with the white musk; this is a fantastic really casual scent for hot or warm weather.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 2 Red: Harissa by Comme des Garçons

Squeeze yourself a fresh glass of orange juice - it must be blood oranges, as they're much different from regular old orange juice oranges, much sweeter and more honeyed and rounded in flavor. Add a shot of the most incendiary hot sauce you can find, preferably something of the habanero family. Add one or grates of fresh nutmeg, inhale deeply of the resulting concoction and - voila - you've emulated the heart of CdG Harissa, which smells almost realistically edible in its pairing of sweet and hot. The tomato, while not an obvious note, keeps the honeyish fruitiness of the scent going long after the blood orange - a famously fleeting note - has split for the hills. There is a trace of the masculine in this scent, and it's hard to pin down where that comes from - the combination of saffron and angelica, perhaps? But it's nonetheless easily wearable for both women and men; my husband has been known to sneak a shot or two of my Harissa when I'm not looking! Downside - staying power on this is fair to middling, not great.

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Genius scent, showing the house of Armani at its best with its understatement and elegance. This is another one of my husband's signature fragrances that I take out for a spin now and then as it's so unique. It's not a big statement-maker of a fragrance; if anything, it reminds me of how water fresh from a cold-running mountain stream might smell (yes, moreso than Silver Mountain Water does - sorry Creed!) if such a thing actually had a scent. It's got a light efferevescent snap from the citrus, a very light almost-sweetness from the olive flower and tonka. I don't find it masculine with a capital "M", which is part of its charm; it's discreet and sleek, much like the cut of an Armani jacket. One of the best fragrances the house of Armani has done in ages, in my opinion. And the bottle design is perfect, so much improved over some of the Armani packaging of yore.

Very Sexy for Her 2 by Victoria's Secret

This scent goes on like gangbusters, gives you the impression that it's going to be around alllll day (you know, like the kind of fragrance that you basically have to sandblast to remove from your skin) and then - *poof* - makes an abrupt and inexplicable exit, leaving very little in its wake. It's a musky-sweet composition of blackberry, freesia, lily and "skin suede" - which I imagine is something between a skin musk and a suede-like accord - and can almost be a touch choking on application, it's that heavy. About half an hour into it, the tone of Very Sexy 2 comes down considerably and starts to smell just sweet and dusky, a tiny bit port wine-ish and generally agreeable if not entirely original. But then, strangest thing, just when you start to really groove on it, it's pretty much gone. I mean, gone-in-around-60-minutes gone. Must be due to the lack of any kind of major fixative; I guess skin suede's not the most tenacious of bases. I'd give this scent about a C+ to B- for effort, but there are other VS scents that put on a better show.

Wish by Chopard

a sticky sweet knockoff of angel. first notes smell alcoholic like cough syrup.

Angel by Thierry Mugler

delicious. i am not a big-time perfume lover, and yet i must drench myself in Angel. i have many body products by Angel, all of which are very good. the lotion and the shower gel are great. it captivates you and keeps you a happy prisoner of its deliciousness.

Alien by Thierry Mugler

As an angel devotee, I was disappointed by this cringeworthy perfume. Nothing innovative or interesting about it. Just heavy and green.