Fragrance Reviews from September 2005

Santal de Mysore by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This is not a typical woody sandalwood, but it is a great and unique scent. It starts out on me smelling like celery and sweetish curry. This is a good thing. Although, if it were anyone but Lutens executing the scent, it would probably fail miserably. In the drydown the fragrance develops a richness and sweetness along with the spicing and what read as celery seems to morph and register as fresh dry sandalwood. It's not as sweet as Chergui but does feel slightly similar in terms of layering. I enjoy this scent and find it versatile and fun--the twists and turns are never quite the same, but it's not a moody fragrance, it's sunny and bright.

Vetiver Oriental by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This scents stars vetiver, with a supporting cast of freshness, muskiness, and darkness. I have a partial bell jar and it makes me happy. The scent seems straightforward--vetiver, right?--until you realize how amazingly well-crafted it is. The vetiver manages to be fresh at first, then darker, muskier, almost chocolaty--while still retaining its fresh greenness! It's like stroking a plant leaf to stem to root but holding on to the tips of the green leaves even as you dig in the rich earth at its roots. In terms of temeperature, it starts out thin and a bit cooling like many vetivers but 'cooks' quickly and ends up 'hot' like a great skin scent should be, in my opinion. And yet the vetiver does not wilt in the heat or disappear in the supporting cast--it flourishes. It retains an airiness throughout. I love Muscs Koublai Khan and while these are very different scents--mkk is raunchy where VO is classy and cerebral--I think they both possess a musky, androgynous heat of which I am quite enamored.

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I found Chergui to be less original than I had hoped--it kept reminding me of some other scent, and I kept feeling like it was *just* on the tip of my nose. I prefer Lutens' more striking scents like Muscs Koublai Khan and Vetiver Oriental, and even his herbal 'dirty' Ambre Sultan.
    That said, I do enjoy Chergui--it is honey with incense and smoky spices, and some warm hay-like tones. It's in the same 'family' as L'Artisan Tea for Two (which I found much more unique and also enjoy) and Ginestet Botrytis and Escada Collection (but less cloying). What makes Chergui somewhat distinct is what I think of as Lutens-accord, which isn't so much common basenotes as a common touch, a way of creating depth and warmth in a fragrance while at the same time maintaining a transparency to the notes and an airiness throughout the entire progression of the fragrance without monster sillage. Jo Malone seems to exemplify this trend--perhaps it is a trend--and take it a step further into more of a 'clean' feeling, whereas Lutens still creates sensual skin scents.

Cèdre by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Although I am sure many will love Lutens' newest creation in the export line, I was incredibly disappointed. Cedre is supposed to marry cedar to a tuberose opening and some warm spices--hmm, interesting, maybe I'll go find a store which carries it and check it out in person, I thought. So I went to Aedes and spritzed. Tuberose--overly sweet but not nauseatingly heady. So I decided to wait for the drydown, which would of course be luscious cedar. Sadly, no. The scent did not develop on me at all, but remained saccharine tuberose. Ick.
    However, some people have found the tuberose tame and the composition balanced. Lucky them.

Miel de Bois by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

The name means Honey of Wood, and the notes are white honey and dark woods and other things I did not actually smell in it. At first sniff this did not repulse me, but on me and several others the scent's honey morphed into an odor reminiscent of urine. Apparently this happens to many--so *sample* first! The honey in this scent is not the sweet warm honey in Chergui; rather it gives a slightly sweet beeswaxy smell to the dark woods. Kind of like old, expensive furniture--definitely unisex, and might work better with male chemistry. Interesting conceptually, but even if one does not react with disgust, this doesn't seem like the type of scent to inspire cries of elation at having found one's Holy Grail.

Baie de Genièvre by Creed

I have to say that this is among the more unusual Creeds with the juniper berry blending with the cinnamon to give a pleasant spice effect. This is a fragrance I find myself sniffing from the bottle or applying a small amount to my arm and sniffing that more often than I actually apply for a full wearing. Gin drinkers and martini lovers might find this one especially nice. By the time the dry down comes around the fragrance develops a cleaner vibe, probably from the vetiver. A scent that fits in nicely with an evening out or a cold, overcast day. Longevity is a bit above average and projects nicely without being too loud on my skin. A regular in my rotation.

Claiborne Sport by Liz Claiborne

My father's current favorite (his last favorite was Obsession), because he found it "spicy yet fresh". Initially I can detect a strong sage note softened by other herbs, mainly lavender. I don't really find this to my liking, I would prefer Polo Blue to this any day, mainly because I like either the sweeter light frags or the heavier, musky ambers and tobaccos. Now my brother has found this to his liking and bought a bottle of his own, yet the fragrance brings a herbal collection that doesn't sit well with me. The scent comes off as too sharp (with herbs)to my nose. The drydown is nicer with the woods bringing a softer touch to the herbs until the fragrance wears off, which will be about 6-8 hours. This one will stay with you all day.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Although it hurts to say, to the initial blast of GIT is similiar to Cool Water, and to the unkeen nose, the rest of the drydown can be mistaken for it. I think the two are worlds apart when the drydown begins and the quality of GIT really shines when the two are compared side by side. The Creed house note (probably ambergris) is present throughout and is much nicer when moving from citrus to floral to woody than any transition to be found in Cool Water. I do find that GIT is lacking a bit in the longevity department (it will disappear within 3-4 hrs) a little heavier application will probably last a good 5-6 hours if not more. Maybe a bit too green for some, but I find GIT perfectly sharp and refined, definitely worth the (discounted)price.

Live Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

Definitely the type of fragrance you would want to wear on a hot day. The iced mint is present from initial contact with the skin until drydown. From the top notes, you will find the lemon giving a nice tart spin on the mint. The grapefruit and rhubarb meld nicely together, although I don't find this scent evolving a great deal on my skin, the only real change including a nice mellow drydown to the vanilla and cedar base ( I can still easily detect the mint). My first fragrance added to my collection which was totally unique. I still haven't smelled anything like it. While not one of my real favorites, it still has a saved place in my cabinet. Overall, pleasant & unique because of the prominent mint note.

Nautica Classic by Nautica

Pleasant, but not at all unique or catchy in any way. I picked this up as a packaged deal with Tricorn (which is marvelous) and found it to be a cheapie that would best be suited to de-stink yourself after the gym if you don't want to waste any of your treasured fragrances. Longevity is a bit below average. Overall reactions from other people is that it is nice but not deserving of compliments. An interesting mix on paper between the top and mid notes, but winds up appearing as a rather plain, fresh scent with a slightly powdery background. Probably a fragrance suited for a teenager as one of their first fragrances, much as CK one is in my opinion. Very non-offensive and overall a decent fresh fragrance.

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

I find this fragrance to be heavy on the amber and sandalwood with a bit of patchouli by the time it comes off the skin. Before that, however, I find the mix in the mid notes with the clove and nutmeg most pleasant and (along with other notes I cannot detect, though probably the basenotes) giving it a gourmand quality. I mainly associate this with my father(who now also greatly enjoys Claiborne Sport BTW) seeing as this was his signature scent for years. Giving it as unbiased a sniff as possible I can really see enjoying this on my skin. The problem is that it teeters on being too loud ( mainly the musk amber drydown) on my skin. I'll wear this one once a month, maybe.

Reaction for Men by Kenneth Cole

Rather fruity and sweet throughout the drydown, I think Reaction gets a bad rep for being Kenneth Cole. This is KC's best so far and gets many compliments from the other sex. The topnotes don't fade as much as I would expect and the basenotes are sweetened as a result. Longevity is not a problem with me ( I have slightly dry skin) and a normal application will last about 4-5 hours on me; with a heavier touch, 6-7 hours, although I would suggest waiting at least 35 mins before going out because the topnotes are very loud. A rather playful/casual scent that I wear around lady friends to get easy compliments and despite the overwhelming fruity notes never becomes too cloying.

Jeans Couture Man by Versace

I picked this up for a song and figured what the heck? The fragrance is a bit light on the skin and doesn't really make it's prescence known. I find myself comparing this to Armani Mania for some reason, maybe it's the mandarin leaves with vetiver and musk. The mid notes seem to be hiding somewhere between the top and bottom notes, I can't seem to pick them out easily, though they are probably the ones which sweeten and help lighten up the heavy basenotes. Overall, it reminds me of wearing a nice suit, yet I don't see this fragrance as being formal, go figure. Considerably softer than Dreamer, Jeans Couture doesn't have that certain accord which makes Dreamer not sit right with me (sage maybe?). Pleasant, but I would rather wear mania. Since I have both I hardly wear this.

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

The cucumber and basil give the fragrance the nicest (almost guaranteed to not offend) water scent I've smelled. Perfectly casual and despite what others say, distinctive. Very nice on a warm summer day. I think it needs to be about 10 dollars cheaper and it would be perfect. I can't detect any wood in this one, just the basil at the end and cucumber. Receives many compliments every time I wear it. Overall, I figure this to be a mild and clean aquatic with the best take on a "blue" fragrance I've tried. Also, this is definitely a daytime scent, although it would work at night as well. Longevity is a bit below average, lasting about 3-4 hours and staying closer to the skin. You might want to take some with you in case you need to freshen up.

Dunhill by Dunhill

I find that the lemon tends to linger and gives an unusual contrast (a nice tang) to the musk base. I have to admit that contrast did not sit well with me at first. It reminded me of pledge a bit too much. It took two or three wearings to finally become comfortable with this scent. A warm sweet musk emerges that would be best to wear on a cool day or a warmer night. A good fragrance but not one of my favorites, I will actually wear Live Jazz more than this (even though I don't think it's better) because I think it's more unique and I have other musks that I prefer over this. Overall it's good but I would spend my money elsewhere.

Minotaure by Paloma Picasso

It's still a bit warm to be wearing your Pour Monsieur Concentrée isn't it, Sir?, inquired my valet. "With all respect, my good man, it is evening, isn't it? And anyway, I'm trying out an older fragrance for the first time, and from Paloma Picasso, no less!"

[b]Minotaure[/b] is a warm, sweet, citrus/fruity scent that provides me with the visual analogy of a unicorn. For in the middle of this warm citrusy sweetness protrudes an awkward herbal note, which is probably the lavender and/or geranium. This note juts out and lends a subtle sourness to the topnotes of the scent that may be appealing to many. Overall, the scent is very similar to both Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentrée and Caron Pour un Homme. Not bad company to keep! I have to test it in cooler weather, for it might strike me differently.

Vétyver by Roger & Gallet

Retreating to the comfort of your trusty Imperial this morning, Sir?, my equally trusty assistant inquired. "You'd think so, wouldn't you?," I replied, having thought the same only moments before.

[b]Vetyver EDC[/b] from Roger & Gallet, bursts forth from the bottle with citrus, citrus, and more citrus, with very little perceptible vetiver. It's nice and fresh and clean, to be sure, it's just not much of a vetiver scent. Indeed, after 15 minutes it smells just like a slightly weaker Guerlain Imperial EDC. Between the two, I'd take the Guerlain for it lasts longer, but what you can smell of the R&G is certainly pleasant enough. In sum, this is pleasant citrus fragrance of short duration with little perceptible vetiver.

winnie_t_p's avatar

Dune by Christian Dior

This was the firt fragrance I ever used. Not such a good choice. The sample of it smelled great to me but the bottled perfume was different. It didn't help that I recieved comments like, "It smells like ALL SPICE!" Considering that men use ALL SPICE, I was not pleased. To its credit it is a warm fragrance. If you like bolder fragrance choices it could be for you.

Allen-on-Holiday's avatar

Horizon by Guy Laroche

It sounds wonderful, although I have never smelled it, so I can't honestly rate it "good". But with grapefruit, mandarin, and mint as topnotes, how could it be bad? This is now on my wish-list.

boipussi's avatar

Cabotine by Grès

The ylang-ylang is too much! It's overpowering at first... I could actually taste it just by sniffing it. The drydown is wonderful though, very feminine and floral. One spray is enough, trust me.

boipussi's avatar

Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren

Avoid this at all cost! This is for those sweaty athletes that need to deodorize their gym bags... never has a scent been so utterly devoid of delicacy! It smells very cheap... very reminiscent of that disgusting Axe body spray.

Pi by Givenchy

Picked this one up today at Macy's. Actually I accidentally sprayed myself with it, made a different purchase and went shopping for other things. About 30 minutes later I went back and bought this as well. Love the bottle. But more than that I love the scent. A fairly warm, semi-sweet fragrance. Someone on here described it as "rich and smooth" I certaily can see that as well. However, I can not see using this one as daily scent. I don't know how well it would work at the office or in warmer weather. Also, I don't even know about it at formal occasions. I see this as more of a "romantic" type of fragrance. I think it would certainly be good for dating during the winter months. Oh, and if you do try it on date...make sure you already know the girl because I feel there is no middle of the road for this scent...she will either love it or absolutely hate it. If you go easy on the spraying, I feel that she will most likely not hate it. So, all in all I very good, very unusual scent, but one that I feel is limited in its application purposes. Therefore, if you are looking for ONE scent to use all the time I would probably look further. But, if you collect (and if you do, how can you pass up the bottle anyway?) or if you have "specialized scents" then this one would make a nice addition.

Style In Play by Lacoste

Sorry, this is a first for me. I am reviewing a scent that I didn't acctually purchase. Although I like the brand, and I like the Lacoste "grey" I did not like this at all when I sampled it today. The only thing I could think of when it first hit my nose was "FRUIT!" Don't get me wrong, I like hints of fruit in my fragrances sometimes, but this one seemed to have little else. All in all I was quite dissappointed with Lacoste on this one. If this one is aimed at a younger market, I suppose I am just getting too long in the tooth to enjoy this type of scent. Hopefully my preferences won't change again in 3 years when I hit 25.

Dunhill Fresh by Dunhill

Again, I am a big dunhill fan so perhaps you should be warned about that from the start. I really, really like this scent though. Of the "newer" line of dunhill's it is probably my second favorite after dunhill (I think that is all it is called but the newer man's scent from 2003 at any rate). As gio said, dunhill fresh is exactly as the name implies it is very fresh and clean smelling. Almost crisp, if that makes any sense. And like all of dunhill's scents (to me anyway) it seems very sophisticated and not overpowering or anything like that. If applied properly it is hard for me to see this scent giving anyone a headache, but then everyone is different. This fragance is good for daytime wear and I would say mostly during warmer weather, though it could be used year around. I also really like the bottles that Fresh and dunhill come in. They are very classy looking and feeling. Big thumbs up here.

Soul by Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

Just purchased this today at the local Macy's. I have to say that I am fairly impressed. Nothing earth shattering, but overall a pleasurable experience. Let me also add that I am not crazy about the Curve line (or any of Claiborne's "youth" lines like Lucky, Candie's etc) and thankfully this one's name is not Crush Soul. I can simply tell people that ask that it is Soul by Claiborne or something. Anyway, this scent is sort of warm and exotic. Smells to me like a really fine tanning lotion, sort of like you just got back from a beach...but it is in no way a "blue" scent. A female friend of mine said that it smelled "like an expensive men's soap." (She liked it by the way.) The longevity of this scent seems to be pretty decent so far. I have had it on my wrists for several hours and it is holding up fine.

Lana_Lee's avatar

Montana Parfum de Peau by Montana

Launched by the design house of Montana in 1986, MONTANA PERFUME is classified as a refreshing, woody, mossy fragrance. This feminine scent possesses a blend of spicy fruit with lower notes of flowers and base notes of woods.

This is the description of the perfume given by retailers that are still selling the now discontinued scent. My first encounter with Montana happened in the mid-eighties. I had traveled to Paris with my high-school art class. I was at the department store Printemps when I came across a striking bottle displayed at a cosmetic counter. It was a frosted glass bottle stepped and twisted like a helix. The lady at the counter explained it was a new fragrance by the design house of Claude Montana. The Parisian designer was famous at the time for his architectural style. I recall after the first life changing spritz to the wrist the salesgirl asked "jolie, non? quelle sophisication!" I was a sixteen year old girl in Paris and there was nothing I wanted more than to bottle the time. I bought the perfume and was never the same.

Mikeyroo's avatar

Hamptons by Bond No. 9

I am a huge fan of this scent. I have tried other marine scents, but they have turned slightly sour on my acidic skin. This cologne has a softer hand and a longer lasting quality, which is enhanced by the base notes.
    Top notes: Lime blossom, bigarade oil (from the bitter-orange flower), bergamot, and bracing armoise oil, with overtones of cedar and sage.
    Heart notes: magnolia, white jasmine and Turkish rose.
    Base notes: amber, sandalwood and cashmere musk.

mycatsmylife's avatar

Om by Gap

I LOVE Gap Om, it is my absolute favourite perfume! I only have half a bottle left, and will have to search the planet for more. I love the smell, am I the only one who thinks it smells like carrot cake? lol. I hope they bring it back!

Vetiver by Santa Maria Novella

Have you been cleaning up the ashes in your kiva fireplace again, Sir?, my trusted assistant inquired perceptively.

[b]Vetiver EDC[/b] from Santa Maria Novella, is a shocker for an EDC. It is strong, powerful, scorched-earth arid, dry, and earthy. Not even a hint of citrus. While it is not as “sharp” to the senses as Route Du Vetiver, it is nearly as shocking, and definitely more arid and dry; I would not have thought that possible. If you love vetiver and dry, arid colognes, this may be your ticket. In sum, this is surprisingly strong EDC vetiver scent, very powerful, and extremely dry, earthy, and arid.

Allen-on-Holiday's avatar

Safari for Men by Ralph Lauren

Safari has been one of my VERY favorites for years. How can eucalyptus, cinnamon, and vetiver together be bad? Sniffing a paper card can't reveal it's depth: it must be worn.

04th September, 2005