Fragrance Reviews from September 2005

Mûre et Musc by L'Artisan Parfumeur

To feminine for my personal wear, but this truly is one of the most gentle scents I've tried. Like a light fruity caress. Berries done in the way they should be. Haven't tried the concentrated version yet, maybe it's different enough for me to purchase.

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Very much along the lines of Bulgari Black, Dzing is smokey, semi-sweet and a bit rubbery. This is a more complex fragrance though, I can detect something smelling like cherries and there is that signature sawdust accord. Overall a brilliant launch and as uni-sex as they come. The circus rumours are highly exagerated but I'll be damned if it doesn't have an animalic quality to it. Like so many from this house, this is best worn when in the mood for sweet, sweet love.

Passage d'Enfer by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Top 3 L'Artisan for me and a favourite among many on the boards. To me Passage D'Enfer smells very much like Bulgari Ph, but with 2 important differences- a very well done smokey incense note and some toned down florals. Very mellow though, not a strong scent, highly suited for romantic enterprises I would say. Just like Mechant Loup the name is misleading though, this is no purgatory or passage to hell, this is the passage to making out with that woman or man you've been eyeing for so long ;).

Cedro / Cedar by Acca Kappa

Standard cedar in cologne form. Just like White Moss this one is terribly weak, but unlike a light musk this becomes more problematic in a wood-based fragrance. Cedro does smell nice but the limited strength doesn't make it purchase-worthy. Love the simple packaging though. This company btw has tons of nice bath - products. Great soaps among other things.

Givenchy pour Homme Blue Label by Givenchy

Generic citrus/woods scent that is hardly worth sampling. Apparently very popular in Russia for some strange reason. Stay away, or at least get the original (red bottle) which has a little more substance.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 5 Sherbet: Peppermint by Comme des Garçons

Bottled chewing gum, PASS!

The rhubarb one is nice though. Could probably be layered successfully with
    Mugler's B*men.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 5 Sherbet: Rhubarb by Comme des Garçons

Rhubarb notes are very unusal as far as I know, and here you get a clean and natural one. This series is very one-dimensional (as I'm guessing is the purpose) so I think this rhubarb would probably be suitable to layer with other stuff. Maybe he cinnamon from the same line, could become a cool, sweet pie-thing...

Duel by Annick Goutal

Dare I say I perceive Duel as somewhat "farty". The flatulant notes aside this is a very dry scent, clearly noticeable Iris - unfortunately not in the same nice fashion as in the new Dior Homme. I don't detet any tea here at all - is this supposed to be a tea-fragragrance? Whatever, not appealing at all to my nose.

Vanilia by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Nice one. Not too sweet, very balanced. According to Paul G at the boards it layers very well with Tea for Two from the same house. Am et to try this combo, but it sure sounds like a good one.

Central Park by Bond No. 9

I think this fragrance actually is called just Central Park. Anyway, I just received a sample of it and I'm thrilled. Its fantastic simply put. Looking at the pyramid I feel a little lost though:

"The world's first fragrance commemorating New York City's grand oasis of greenery.
    Refreshing aroma of dew-fresh basil, verbena and mandarinleaf, bergamot and lime blossom.
    The top notes segue into an intoxicating but not overly sweet floral heart of Bulgarian rose,
    miguet and water jasmine. The comes the mossy-deep-in-the-forest base notes:
    blue cedar, balsa wood, cashmere musk and patchouli."

This sound like a very green scent full of florals, while on my wrist it comes across as a sweet semi-gourmand, but definitely with lots of lovely citrus. Doesn't really matter, this, my first encounter with this brand has been a very positive one!

Cologne Blanche by Christian Dior

Clearly the most mundane of the 3 colognes. Still definitely worth getting, at least discounted. A modern take on kölnisch wasser with a heliotrope side-dish to the usual citrus/herbs melange.

Bois d'Argent Cologne by Christian Dior

I have a great deal of respect for Hedi Slimane, and the updates he's doing for Dior on the olfactory side just feel very good. This guy is no sell-out, he cares about quality and originality the same way Tom Ford did for YSL when launching M7 and Rive Gauche - 2 modern giants.
    This silver woods cologne is a sparkling blend, woody, sweet old but contemporary at the same time. Hard to describe really, just smells awesome!

Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Only L'Artisan scent I really dislike. I think Timbuktu is too woody and sharp. Also I'm getting extremely fed up with the use of incense in modern scents, it often takes over, dominating the blend, This is certainly evident here. In the same genre I'd pick YSL's excellent Body Kouros instead.

Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons

In my honest opinion this is a shameless rip off of Gucci PH. They're 95% the same. Doesn't make things better I wasn't too fond of that one either. Also this one is very ordinary compared to the usual avant-garde style of Cdg, is this really the path Puig has in mind since taking over?
    Thumbs down from the MonkeyMan!

parfums*PARFUMS Series 7 Sweet: Spicy Cocoa by Comme des Garçons

I don't wanna be vulgar here but spicy cocoa comes across more as spicy poo-poo to my nose. This really smells fecal, I was feeling sick for 15 minutes after sampling it. What the hell were they thinking??? Yuck.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 7 Sweet: Wood Coffee by Comme des Garçons

I'm bizarrely addicted to coffee, espresso, cappucino, lattes - you name it. Therefore I'm always on the prowl for a good coffe-scent. So far A*men, Rochas Man and Christobal have been the best for me, but the coffee is just a component in those. I want it to take center stage sometime! Well, Wood Coffe was NOT he ticket. An overall decent launch, this is more woody and has a somewhat synthetic aura to it.
    I'll have to check out Hanae Mori and Black Vetyver Café soon...

parfums*PARFUMS Series 7 Sweet: Nomad Tea by Comme des Garçons

First I was stunned - what a great tea fragrance, excellent update of Tea for Two et al. After the topnotes fade however NT slips into classic CdG mode and comes across almost exactly as something from the 1:st series (leaves). Big dissapointment.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 7 Sweet: Burnt Sugar by Comme des Garçons

Hands down the best of this the latest series. Linear and sweet, but pleasant and with great sillage too. A winner. It's also funny how they abandoned the sleek, graphic, modern packaging for a kitschy-french boudoire style this time around.

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

First of all they have really made a superb job with packaging and bottle, very attractive.
    It starts out with some very fresh notes contrasted by heavy hazelnut coffee which creates a very weird first impression, but I like it. After a while, and I'm very surprised no one else on the boards has experienced the same, it becomes extremely reminiscent of Polo Sport! I swear, after 1-2 hours they're very hard to tell apart on my skin. This fact probably will keep me from investing in this Givenchy.

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

Already a big success in my home country, I can easily see why. Dior Homme just oozes quality. Everything from the flawless packaging and perfect bottle design to the dry iris/cocoa, powdery ambigous yet classic blend has obviously been overseen by Hedi Slimane personally. The man knows what he's doing. Just try Dior Homme and you'll understand.

pheromone's avatar

Pheromone Additive by La Croy

Pheromone is a revolutionary product. Research indicates that pheromone works.

Red Roses by Jo Malone

It's lovely, a very clean and pure smell of roses. It could have been very wrong, very 'old woman' but the scent is so close to the smell of the actual flowers that it is just perfect. Great staying power, very powerful (despite being called a cologne, this has the intensity of an eau de parfum)

L'Ombre dans L'Eau by Diptyque

One of the most beautiful rose perfumes ever. You can literally smell cut blackcurrant leaves when you spray it on. It's unique...

Philosykos by Diptyque

The best fig leaf scent. Grassy, delicious. Phylosikos was the first fig perfume I ever bought and the only one I still wear - after trying all the possible variations of fig based parfumes I can say without a doubt that this is perfection in a bottle...

Tam Dao by Diptyque

Irresistibly sensual

Cologne Blanche by Christian Dior

Floral at first, it develops into a powdery scent slightly reminiscent of Shalimar. Nice staying power! I will probably buy my own bottle, even though I am a girl.

Quarry's avatar

New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

When sampling fragrances, so often a memory circuit gets lit up. The top notes of New Haarlem zoomed me back to 7th grade home economics class, a lesson in using the broiler to make cinnamon toast. I smell those darkened toast edges where the cinnamon gets a tad burnt, but there is no cinnamon listed among the official notes (bergamot, cedarwood, coffee, vanilla, lavendar, patchouli). The wood and patchouli register with me, but sadly not the coffee. Still, there is something most compelling about the composition. I will try this on my wrists as my new go-to-sleep scent (in place of Boucheron). Great potency, addictive qualities, don't know if I'd wear New Haarlem in public.

Ren's avatar

Miss Dior Chérie (original) by Christian Dior

Really, really, REALLY nice. I smelled it in the Saks (or Neimans?) catalog and thought it was one of the nicest female scents I've ever come across. I may have to buy this and wear it, even though I'm a man. :D I don't remember exactly what it smelled like, just that I LOVED it. I think it's basically a "Fresh" revamp of the original Miss Dior.

Scenturio's avatar

L'Eau Trois by Diptyque

L'eau trois might in fact reveal some sharp, almost animal–like notes, but the spicy aspects, especially oregano and thyme to me do not resemble to a pet's cage but to a kitchen in the Provence, where a delicious lamb shoulder is being prepared. You feel like coming out of the kitchen, not of the bathroom with it.

Scenturio's avatar

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

It would have just been an undifferenciated addendum to my collection, an blend of Creeds Vetiver and Penhaligon's Fern scent, if this fragrance had not this very seductive woody note in it, given by sesame and hazel wood. Oily, nutty, like something you buy at a candy shop, eat it up in a few minutes and cannot even remember its name. I really love it, but it turns out to become my bad hair day scent.