Fragrance Reviews from September 2005

Allen-on-Holiday's avatar

Brut Actif Blue by Fabergé

Before it was discontinued, I used to wear the deodorant, and, although it was a little strong, I really liked it. I believe I have seen this scent as a bodywash at Walmart, Target, etc.

Allen-on-Holiday's avatar

Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

I tried Jaipur the other day, and thought it smelled pretty good. But I tried it again today, and as it dried down, all I could smell was vanilla. If I wanted to smell like pure vanilla, I would try to find "Raw Vanilla" or something much cheaper. Feel free to buy Jaipur is you want an expensive vanilla overdose.

Bvlgari_BLV's avatar

Mitsouko by Guerlain

The Parfum is the best of Mitsouko - a scent reminiscent of flesh, with animalic features, refined, not clean but dirty, but not repulsive - on the contrary - magnetising

Bvlgari_BLV's avatar

Flowerbomb by Viktor & Rolf

A very basic gourmand with flowers. Nothing breathtaking. Nice but not impressive.

Happy by Clinique

Weird - for some reason, I was perfectly okay with this fragrance until one day it crossed me mind that it was a simplified, less dark and complicated version of Jean Paul Gaultier Classique. And then I started resenting the heck out of it! Billed as a citrusy floral, Happy is, to me, a citrus-sandalwood-powder combo, sharp at the outset and settling into something clean, spicy, powdery, soft. I am not one hundred percent sure I get why this is so popular among younger fragrance wearers; in fact, I'm not even sure I get why it's called Happy. I don't get "happy" from this at all - more like witty, slightly dry, a smidge sarcastic. The concept of happy in a bottle to me is more along the lines of Creed Spring Flower, L'Artisan La Chasse Aux Papillons, flowery and spring-timey butterfly stuff. Anyway, in terms of the true personality traits of Happy, those things are fine by me and not a problem as I can certainly relate to them. But once I began comparing this to the JPG, it came clear to me how much depth Happy lacks, how relatively plain and unchallenging I found it and how it lacked that backdraft of mystery and drama I like with my wit. It has been considered by me to be "JPG Junior" ever since and I basically never wear it. Not a bad fragrance at all - just not my style, as it turns out.

Spring Flower by Creed

Spring Flowers - so not my type of scent as I'm so not a girly-girl and own not a single item in pink, yet I just can't not love this fragrance. Its sheer joie de vivre renders it irresistible on some level; it's just so dang happy! Has the same effect on me as the first real day of spring - which is my least favorite season for a number of reasons but still just so incredibly hard to dislike on that one particular day that even curmudgeonly moi falls for it every time. Super-fruity (I myself get watermelon - think it might be a subliminal thing cued by the extreme pinkness of the adorable bottle!) and lemony, fresh-from-the-garden florally, I'm always so delighted by the topnotes that I barely even pay attention to what comes after - except for one thing that docks the scent down a tad, the waft of hot-and-sweetish-breath-smell that is hedione, the jasmine-like compound that Creed seems to favor using in place of the real thing. In lesser blends - CKOne being the prime example for me - hedione can be a truly evil note, as rudely insistent and persistent as kudzu, that creeping green vine that literally covers everything in its path. But the other notes in Spring Flower help keep it under control here so that it only pops up now and then and fortunately doesn't permanently detract from the whole. Basiclaly, it's not a good enough reason to keep me from having very fond feelings for Spring Flower, the happiest, smiliest darn fragrance there is!

Rouge Hermès by Hermès

Upon first sniff, this is extremely potent stuff, almost perversely so; when it first hit the market, I was simultanously repulsed and fascinated and coudn't stop thinking about it until I finally had it in my possession. It's an incredibly intensive rose-myrrh blend embellished with ylang ylang, cedar, cistus and Bourbon vanilla. My first impression of it, each and every time I apply, is "holy bug spray!" because that myrrh is just so hugely commanding. From there, it travels along a journey that traverses velvety rose, powdery, ambery cistus and spicy-smoky cedar and vanilla. The drydown, which retains and balances elements of all the notes involved, is considerably softer than the other stages of the scent and becomes, after perhaps three or four hours, like a warm pulse. But beware that everything before that is like wearing a scarlet slash, almost vibrating in its power. Comparison-wise, I do see thsi compared fairly often to the stunning triumph that is Guerlain Chamade and I concur somewhat, though the Rouge is sweeter and has a much more frank, bowl-you-over rose note. One fairly small bottle of this particualr Hermes scent could easily last five years, as this is a tiny-spray-at-a-time fragrance.

Kors by Michael Kors

Smells like having cognacs in the wood paneled, mahogant furnished library of an English manor after a sumptuous black-tie dinner, with huge arrangements of almost too-ripe roses and red fruits scattered about the room and a thread of cigar smoke drifitng through the fireplace-warmed air. This is an evocative scent if ever there was one, and if inserting yourself into a scent-scape of this lifestyle appeals, Kors is for you. Note highlights - cognac, pomegranate, red berries, roses, rosewood, balsam, incense - set the scene that Kors himself must have had in mind when he worked with Lauder on this composition. Personally, I love this scent, though it took me a while to get accustomed to its weightiness, its traces of booziness and the occasional intrusion of what could only be called dirty ashtray (that's the incense - supposed to be cigar-like, sometimes takes a little wrong turn on those "bad chemistry" days. Incidentally, the shape of the bottle itself is modeled after that of a cigarette.) It's just tremendously luxurious and alluring in only the way something very expensive can be, not out-and-out sexy but something a bit more - well, rich.

Basic Instinct by Victoria's Secret

This is a stiletto-heels style fragrance, no-holds-barred sexy and voluptuous verging on, well, a little dirty due to the patchouli note buried deep in the base of the scent. It's not to everyone's taste, apparently, but I think it's a satisfying divergence from Victoria's Secrets lighter, more "girl next door" type fragrances. It's big-girl sweet - lots of orchid-y vanilla - and big-girl floral - tuberose and gardenia - topped out with plummy, woody port wine. Admirers of Kors by Michael Kors may find this scent appealing because of the port note they have in common, though aside from the opening accord they're fairly different. Basic Instinct is sweeter than the Kors and a little less refined; that patchouli at the base lends it that distinct body-heat type earthiness whereas Kors' defining basenote is incense (which can sometimes come off as a little ash-trayish at times, particularly up against the booziness of the port.) One other thing to note about Basic Instinct: some people get chocolate notes from this and I do as well, sometimes. It seems to be a chemistry thing; when I apply it in the morning, no chocolate, but as the day and the drydown wear on, it sometimes appears. And it's lovely when it does!

Eau du Val / Magnolia by L'Occitane

Eau de Val is L'Occitane's new-ish magnolia fragrance, a blend of notes that features the magnolia flower. Not to be confused with the company's straight magnolia EDT, which is just - you guessed it - magnolia. Eau de Val takes the coolly sweet, almost lotion-y scent of the magnolia flower and blends it out with tuberose, freesia and watermelon, strong notes all though the magnolia is plenty sturdy enough to take them on and shine through. Eau de Val is, in a word, splendid; it has the feel of pastoral France, graceful in its freshness and legere. It's the type of fragrance I imagine sitting on the vanity of someone's country home in Provence, worn by a woman who uses very heady, pronounced scents for her life in the city but enjoys turning to something much more lighthearted for her time away from Paris. For so light a scent, the lasting power is impressive; the scent goes on quite surprisingly strong and then fades to half-strength in about a half hour and lingers there all day. And like all L'Occitane fragrances, this is so well priced for the quality you get. I like this and all the new-ish "Eau" line (Eau d'Azur, the mimosa scent; Eau de Vanilliers, the vanilla scent; and Eau des 4 Reines, the rose scent) not just for myself but also for gift-giving as these scents are just so light and universally pretty as to be appealing to pretty much everyone.

So In Love by Victoria's Secret

Victoria's Secret's entry in the rose fragrance category - goes on terribly musty at first but softens quite nicely over time into a honeyish, powdery scent with a little spicy, peppery heat. A very classically romantic scent but one tending toward the simple, sort of an extremely homogenized version of some of the great and complex honeyed roses such as Nahema and Ombre Rose. The So in Love includes three different roses and in terms of smell-alikes among comparably priced brands, it bears the most similarities to a four-rose fragrance by L'Occitane, something called Eau des 4 Reines, though I'd say the L'Occitane is just a bit nicer than this, a touch more subtle and not burdened with that opening blast of musty-sour. On the other hand, So in Love has a certain lush, sensual vibe that the L'Occitane lacks; So in Love is a lingerie rose, one might say, whereas Eau des 4 Reines is better suited for breezy cotton frocks and wandering in the countryside. So vive la difference and get both if you're a rose lover!

dallasconundrum's avatar

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Overall, I like Body Kouros. Perhaps not my favorite of the type but it is nice. I found BK to be a vanillic oriental with a fairly spicy nature. The longevity is excellent.

Dennis's avatar

Hugh Parsons (Blue) by Hugh Parsons

Made in the tradition of fine English gentlemen's cologne, Hugh Parsons is a delight to wear--a refined, clean yet masculine scent that lasts. A great all-around fragrance.

Allure Homme by Chanel

So amazing how this scent captured the many different facets and personalities of men. It opens fresh and clean and dries down to a beautiful classic amber and tonka base to create it's seductive "Allure".

Blu pour Homme by Bulgari

I wasn't impressed when I first smelled this scent. I thought it was sniffing a powder puff. On another occasion it presented itself as a unique fresh scent that opens with a smooth ginger note and dries down to a sweet woody base with a touch of musk. An admirable interpretation of a scent that sets itself apart from the rest of the fresh scents category, which is dominated by that tiresome combination of citrus, woods and spice...Thanks for adding a different perspective, Bulgari!

Burberry for Men by Burberry

A classy, modern, and surprisingly unique scent that I consider as a timeless classic. It's the masterful combination of woods moss and musk that kinda reminds me of a new tweed jacket with leather trim at the elbows and pockets. I really don't think that it's gotten enough praise that it truly deserves. Not many fougere scents nowadays, wish there were more to balance out the rash of fresh and aquatics out there.

Chrome by Azzaro

Fresh, but tempered with warm mossy notes that dry down to a classic sexy and masculine sandalwood base. The modern gentleman's scent!

cK one by Calvin Klein

I couldn't wait to try it when I heard about a new term of fragrance labeled "UNISEX" and being created by the house of Calvin Klein after being thrilled wearing Obsession, Escape, and Eternity in the past. Not an ounce of regret when it finally made it to the department store shelves. For a couple of years I wore it everyday, that's quite a statement for someone who constantly changed scents. It was always pleasing as the first day I smelled it. Forever a memorable scent for me.

Cool Water by Davidoff

I couldn't believe the craze when this scent came out...bottles flew off the shelves regardless of it's ridiculous price (the Swiss Franc was fierce then). I was just out of high school then, this was an object hard to come by and it blew a third of my paycheck working at a fast food joint. So happy at the longevity and quality and I definitely smelled the relaxing feeling of "le souffle de la mer" with this one. Thanks Davidoff with the creation of this scent that has paved the way for the newfound territory of "aquatic" scents in mens fragrances.

Déclaration by Cartier

I remember picking this one up at a fragrance boutique in Dusseldorf. Even when Gucci Envy was on my list to pick up, I couldn't resist the bright, clean woods and vetiver of this one. Cartier definitely took the next step in modernity and simplicity. Like their watches, it's clean, never shouts gawdy, and unmistakeably refined!

Dune pour Homme by Christian Dior

A welcomed scent when I grew tired of CKone. It was the continuation of my passion of Sandalwood hidden within its depths.

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

Distinctive, powerful, and refined masculinity in a bottle! I never grow tired with this scent. I also notice I walk taller and demand respect when I wear this. Everyone step to the side...I've arrived!

Good Life by Davidoff

Davidoff just rolls out good quality scents, never chintzing the consumer. This fresh, green and slightly floral scent made it nothing but unique and beautiful. I gave Davidoff a high level of esteem as a follow up fragrance after the Cool Water craze.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Dude! You must be wrong about what you're wearing...that's Cool Water! No, it's definitely Cool Water. What the heck is Creed? Quit being a jerk and stop lying to me! Heh, yeah right, like Prince Charles would wear Cool Water! ;)

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

This is so light, refreshing and smooth! One of my top scents that I own. If you're new to Creed, this would be a great scent to start off with. This is so different from the current scents out there!

Surface Skin Tonic by Aramis

The most beautiful relaxing and fresh scent I've ever worn. It puts Acqua di Gio to shame. It's just too bad that they had to discontinue this scent along with the rest of their toiletry line. Such a remarkable combination of cucumber, mint, citrus and cool woods that leave me wondering where I can find the next bottle. THUMBS WAY UP FOR THIS ONE!

Weekend for Men by Burberry

Refreshing and light, and carries the unmistakable refinement and class of Burberry! Definitely captures and embodies the carefree and relaxed state of mind of a weekend!

Céline pour Homme by Céline

I love this combination of wood and spice! It's very airy. It reminds me of the smell of new clothes, or the scent of a boutique with light woods and an open air feeling to it. It's uncomplicated and simple, makes me feel the same way when I wear this.

Himalaya by Creed

I didn't know what to expect from a scent called Himalaya...I still didn't understand what it meant when it was described as a scent that captures the cool freshness of the Himalayas and further evokes an inner calm to the wearer. When I finally tested it, I was instantly surprised by the fresh citrus opening notes, followed by a brief emergence of what smelled like a soapy lavender note, and then become a warm and sunny scent, so happy, carefree, and pure! And finally, a sweet incense-y sandalwood note that touches the inner spirit and transcends you to the cloudy heights of the Himalayas and just beyond. Creed seems to bring out the fullest expression in fragrance, yet keeps the composition relatively simple and uncomplicated. That is where my respect lies with this house.

Dia Man by Amouage

One of the most beautiful men's fragrance creations IMHO. The combination of top quality frankincense, floral, woods and amber creates the most exotic scent I've ever worn! It's gone straight to the top of my favorites list. Worth every penny!