Fragrance Reviews from September 2005

Aramis Cool by Aramis

The first fragrance I've ever worn that was inspired by a cocktail! A fresh and mellow scent that inspires a tropical getaway or even just a relaxing stroll through a park on an early Summer afternoon.

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

OOHHHHH MYYY! Who would've known that by applying the brakes a little on this frag creates something fresh and, like the original, an unmistakably sexy, refined scent that's merciful and never cloying on a warm humid day. It can be a year round scent for me now. Thank you so much Chanel, for listening to a man's needs!

Aramis Ice by Aramis

I found this at a great price on eBay. Begins with citrus punched with spicy notes that mellows down to cool woody and sweet notes much reminiscent to Bulgari Blu.

Cool Water Frozen by Davidoff

Doesn't have the depth as the original, which is a good thing really. I didn't realize that they could actually make a fresh scent fresher! Seems like it became a new scent again when this came out. I prefer to wear this now instead of the classic.

Cool Water Deep Sun, Sea and Surf by Davidoff

Why did I buy this? Oh yeah, it wasn't overly intrusive as the original and in a big bottle. Too bad it lasts only an hour or two. Hmpf! Should've kept the original and not exchange it for this one.

levente's avatar

Dunhill for Men by Dunhill

Very distinguished leather with subtle floral (rose and carnation) notes. This is an EDC but lasts with the best of them, though it is subtle and doesn't scream for attention. Nothing like what Dunhill, now owned by P&G, is producing these days. If you are looking for a sophisticated scent not likely to be worn by anyone else, seek this one out.

levente's avatar

Dunhill Edition by Dunhill

A bit of the '80s power scent, heavy with woods and spices. To this nose, the clove and cinammon are prominent in the middle notes, leading to something that almost smells like incense. I for one love it, and think it is the last great fragrance to come from Dunhill.

Neil's avatar

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Lovely. I have just bought this perfume on the basis of the reviews here. It is a distinctive and lasting scent, not fruity or sweet but strong and male. Very enjoyable.

Quarry's avatar

Vétiver by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Reminds me of Guerlain's Herba Fresca, but I like this better. If I had to compose a marketing name for L'Artisan's Vetiver, it might be "Mountain Grass." As a woman, I feel compelled to add a touch of sweetening, perhaps just dab of a fruit or floral--or this would be good for cutting the sweetness of an overly sweet frag. Although refreshing and soothing, I would not grab this on a daily basis (or maybe I'll feel differently when it's not autumn).

Quarry's avatar

Vetiver by Lorenzo Villoresi

I prefer L'Artisan's refreshing Vetiver to Lorenzo Viloresi's celery-tinged version. Where LV's is antiseptic, L'Artisan's is oh-so-slightly minty. I'm no connoisseur (more accurately, connoisseuress), so don't go by my review alone. The differences between vetivers can be just an element or two, and each of us has to fine-tune our preferences without regard to other's opinions.

wicozani's avatar

Loewe para Hombre by Loewe

Sir, did you reach to the far back for your Coriolan once more?, my trust attendant inquired.
    "Why, no, though I can see the resemblance. This is my newly received Loewe Pour Homme; do you like it?"
    "Indeed! Very classy that one is."

Wow, is this Spanish EDT ever nice! A crisp, refreshing citrus opening is followed by a floral/herbal middle, and then a subtle ambery musk follows! Very harmonious, this classic scent from 1978!

Wicozani

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Homme Nature by Yves Rocher

Odd reviews. Can't smell any clove whatsoever. Nor would I describe this as oceanic. It's a fresh, light and very fruity scent whose main virtue is its uncommon usage.

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Nature Millénaire pour Homme by Yves Rocher

Roll around on the earth and save yourself the trouble. I like arid, but this is ridiculous.
    If you must get an Y.R frag, listen to the nice lady with the French accent on the phone from Y.R's Canadian H.Q. and get Homme Nature.

25 September, 2005 (Last Edited: 18 June, 2009)

bakhmet's avatar

Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentrée by Chanel

I got this by mistake. I had originally bought the travel spray of Pour Monsieur EDT, but the bottle was defective (when I pushed on the top, the whole thing came out of it's sheath). I exchanged it, but wanted the bottle instead and got the concentree version by mistake. It definitely is different, but on me, it smells stronger and lasts longer than the original EDT. It is more lemony in the beginning, and then gives a sharper woody smell as it dries down. It is very nice, I am not complaining. I also disagree that it is an older gentleman's cologne. I am in my twenties, and I find that a good fragrance is a good fragrance, no matter what the age (or gender, if you are open to wearing colognes designed for the opposite sex). I find this very suitable for office, weekend, or evening wear. Despite being stronger than the original, it is still quite subtle.

J'Adore by Christian Dior

Other than a golden, buttery stage this fragrance passes through on the way to the drydown, J'adore is just kind of blah to me. The notes are mandarin, champaca, ivy, orchid, rose, violet, plum, wood and blackberry musk. The florals - predominantly orchid to my nose, obviously laced by ivy - are full and lush, made fruity by the heavy shot of mellow mandarin in the opening and a ripe, abundant plum in the heart. The drydown is also rather plain. I could certainly see how those who adore florals who enjoy this; it's romantic, maybe a little glamourous, a good everyday scent precisely because it doesn't stand out or demand attention or sieze the senses. I would probably be more interested in this if it weren't for the fact that I own something called Signature by S.T. Dupont that is like J'adore amplified. Signature has virtually all the same notes as this one does and some of the same feeling, with the rounded mandarin flowing into a floral heart accented by ivy, but the florals in Signature are more complex and the drydown is far superior to J'adore's.

Dior Me, Dior Me Not by Christian Dior

So airy and cute it nearly giggles coming out of the bottle. I bought this because I love sweet pea - it's so delicate and innocent that it just brings a smile. The two musks at the base, the cherrywood musk and the crystal musk, give the sweet pea something to hang on, though by its very nature sweet pea just isn't a floral that's going to stick around for any length of time regardless of base. The back-up floral here is peony, which also fortifies the sweet pea a bit; I wish some other flower had been used though, maybe a magnolia or even a tiny touch of lilac, as I find peony can go a little bit fruity-sour at times. For what you get in lasting power - not much - this could seem like a frivolous scent to some. And if you don't care for sweet pea, pass it by. Due to its lightness, this can make a great "first fragrance" gift for pre-teen girls. I would have loved it at that age, I'm sure.

Cotton Candy by Body Fantasies

The full name for this is Sugar Vanilla Fantasy - it's different from the straight Vanilla Body Fantasies product, though. Despite its name, Sugar Vanilla is not so much a baked goods/sugar cookie type scent as it is a tropical vanilla, a bit nutty and embellished with coconut milk, sugar cane, cedarwood and sandalwood. Honestly, this is a truly beautiful fragrance - close to an exact smell-alike for Calypso Vanille, a high-end boutique fragrance also considered a tropical vanilla. It's also similar, but far superior, to Bath and Body Works Warm Vanilla Sugar. The Body Fantasies version just smells as though it's made from better ingredients than the BBW, and isn't burdened with that plastock-y aftersmell that seems to plague some BBW products. I'm a big fan of Body Fantasies products; most of those I've tried have been truly excellent, particularly in proportion to price. And the Sugar Vanilla Fantasy is a perfect example

25 September, 2005 (Last Edited: 26 September, 2005)

Fresh White Musk Fantasy by Body Fantasies

I like white musks in general and this is a good one. It's a white-floral musk blend that tends toward the creamy, skin-musk variety with a hint of baby oil and a clean, fresh undertone. It seems to sink in to the skin rather than "sparkle" on the skin's surface like other drugstore white musks do. (Interestingly, Body Fantasies products are made by Parfums de Coeur - which also makes Prince Matchabelli products, including the very effervescent Fresh White Musk, another really good drugstore musk.) I like this scent quite a bit but have found I prefer it in body lotion form rather than spray for whatever reason. Overall, this is a great product and one of the best impulse purchase buys around; how can you go wrong with $5 to $6 for a nice big bottle?!

Vanilla Fantasy by Body Fantasies

Good stuff - a genuinely nice vanilla, easy to wear, easy to like. It's sometimes compared to Victoria's Secret Vanilla Lace but I think it's much better and less plastic/fakey smelling than Vanilla Lace. This vanilla is highlighted with a nice floral fruitiness - some apple, some jasmine - and maybe even the teeniest touch of spice, something cinnamon-like. There is a gentle musk at the base but it's very unobtrusive; I find the amber-musk basenotes of Vanilla Lace to be just a little too overpowering for the strength of the vanilla there, but here the vanilla is not overwhelmed in the least. Don't expect a super-rich, warm, buttery Comptoir Sud Pacifique vanilla bean vanilla from this one; it's not that type of vanilla either. It's light and right in the middle, not too warm, not too cool. Could be one of the most wearable mass-market vanillas ever created if comparisons are to be drawn at all.

White Ginger by Body Fantasies

The best thing about this Parfums de Coeur product is the light, fizzy ginger-ale quality it gives off; the ginger note here is very authentic and true and lasts throughout the composition. (In fact, for the price the lasting quality of this fragrance is really good; that ginger hangs in there hour after hour!) That being said, this is not a sweet fragrance at all, so take the ginger-ale analogy with a grain of salt. There is a smidge of citrus in this as well as, supposedly, a floral thread that I don't detect. And the single-notedness of the ginger is not an issue - until you tire of it. I liked White Ginger for quite a while until I got tired of it and stopped using it, and I have yet to find a really good reason to go back to it. Has layering potential, too, if you do get bored with it.

crittergirl's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

Alien by Thierry Mugler

Just tried this today. I am surprised, it doesn't make me think of far off galaxies, but it is a really nice fragrance. Not as daring as I would have expected. It will never match Angel in its uniqueness. Its sort of a cross between Stella and Pure Poison with more jasmine and woody notes. It is definitely a lovely fragrance.

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Who didn't go crazy for this scent when it came out? I loved the topnotes and wished they created an Extreme version of this scent. The drydown is rather quick, and it is generally a citrus green scent with a bit of spice. Armani scents tend to work around that same "citrus green" note which make me tend to get bored with the line. This is a good scent nonetheless.

Casual Friday by Escada

I myself underrated this scent. I thought it was nice, but the base was a bit cloying. This however is a favorite with a lot of women for some reason. They've stopped making this scent, but I'm glad the bottle is rather large with a lot of the scent I can still savor!

Fuel for Men / DK Men by Donna Karan

I love this bottle, DK Women upside down. It embodies the sophisticated gentleman, deep and a bit dark, with the wonderful note of sweet tobacco. Wish more scents were like this these days.

DK Men Unleaded by Donna Karan

This was a wonderful followup to DK Men. I appreciated this interpretation of a fresh leather scent. Never smells heavy, but has a wonderful masculine, sophisticated presence.

DKNY Men (original) by Donna Karan

I was crazy about the grapefruit note in this frag. I used to like this bottle, but it kept falling over because it was so thin and tall. I don't think any of her mens fragrances smelled any better after this one.

Emporio Armani He by Giorgio Armani

I don't know why I bought this scent, it seems that the notes that Armani uses seems to make my nose get used to them rather quickly. Then again he tends to prefer scents that have very delicate sillage, kind of a way to lure the person smelling you to get closer.

Insensé by Givenchy

Didn't buy a bottle when this scent came out, but I tended to receive many samples of this on request. I didn't understand what the Insense means...Incense? Fuming Mad? It's a floral scent that's very long lasting. I still keep a bottle to remember it now and then.

Life Essence by Fendi

Very unique fresh scent for the active individual. Different from the very first Fendi fragrance which was an aldehydic oriental. This scent bursts of fresh green and citrus notes, and tempered with cool woods for the base. Underrated scent which actually stands out from the crowd of scents created during the time.

Wings for Men by Wings

Didn't care to buy this scent when it came out. I was at a club one night and I smelled it on another. For nostalgia's sake I bought a gift set of EdT and Aftershave. I couldn't handle how heavy the EdT was, but the Aftershave was just wonderful, and sadly a bit short-lived. Don't really wear this often if only to smell it to refamiliarize myself with the scent.