Fragrance Reviews from September 2005

Allen-on-Holiday's avatar

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

I would describe this scent as "mediocre": nothing special, nothing to remember. I expected more from Ralph Lauren... especially since I was a huge fan of the original green. I will save my money for something with a little more personality.

chris2005's avatar

Joop! Homme by Joop!

I have a mixed opinion about this cologne. It's really unique, very recognizable, but I think it's done the wrong way. It's too 'something,' maybe too strong or too weird. I don't know, I liked it the first time I smelled it, but it seems my opinion has changed (or my tastes.) Don't make a blind purchase of this cologne, smell it first. It's a love it or hate it relationship when it comes to Joop.

chris2005's avatar

Black by Kenneth Cole

No originality in this cologne. Just bland, bland, bland. You can't hate it, it doesn't offend in any way, but it's amazing how non-descriptive this Black is. You can't go wrong with this, but I just wish it had more oomph to it.

Garrigue by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Don't get the RL Safari comparison at all! This is waaaay better (I love Safari too). Smooth elegant and as usual with MPG, amazing development. My 2nd MPG and now I know what the house "note" is! This has it in abundance! Much niceness!

Patchouli Patch by L'Artisan Parfumeur

LOVE this scent! It has a wonderful creaminess to it which takes off that hard patchouli edge as ikkitos says below. Share some similarities to VdR but with the patchouli cranked up. Wonderful stuff!

S-ex by S-Perfume

What a great scent! Sweetish and slightly oceanic/aquatic probably due to the "salty" notes. Develops very nicely and is as S-exy as hell! Lasts forever as it comes in parfum (20%) strength. Highly recomended and rather different. Very unisex.

Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur

VERY dry scent. Like Passage D'enfer without the flowers. Not really made my mind up about this one yet.

Essential by Lacoste

Great fresh clean fragrance. Nothing ground breaking but masculine and rather sexy!

Godeke_Michels's avatar

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

I just love this dry oriental spicy fragrance - Guerlain at its best! It is very sensual and elegant. I would not at all consider it "weak" - it certainly is one of the very few dark-side scents on the market, shining in a darker shade of black, not a loud scent, but nevertheless very heavy in my opinion!

wicozani's avatar

Mark Birley for Men by Mark Birley

Hmm? Marinus oceanicus meets citrusy woods, eh, Doctor? Unknowingly, I've come to realize that I've cultivated a pretty decent nose in my valet, only to have this value-added character work against me on those evenings when I try to work clandestinely without my valet's knowledge. But in this case, yet again, he was close to the mark. I couldn't fault him for not knowing the name of the scent I was wearing, for I was trying it for the first time myself. However, I've tried on several occasions now, and developed a pretty solid impression of it.

The word "classic" has been used to describe this fragrance since its release in 1996. I do not quite see this, however. This scent opens with an odd, airy, ozone-like lead, through which citrus eventually emerges. I'm coming to see that many of the scents that I perceive as having an ozone-like character (which I do not particularly care for) have some measure of carrots in the. Anyway, this scent stays very light and close to the skin; perhaps I should use more than 6 sprays? Through the lemony topnote a complicated set of smells emerges, which are hard to identify individually, though vetiver is somewhat apparent. Luckyscent.com describes the composition as thus: Sandalwood, cedar, patchouli, musk, vetiver, carrot seeds, leather, lemon, bergamot, mandarin, violet, incense. Unfortunately, it does not last long enough for me to appreciate the sandalwood, patchouli, incense, and musk basenotes - it only lasts about 3 hours on me. Definitely worth a try, and perhaps it projects and lasts much better on others' skin.

Wicozani

Badger's avatar

English Leather by Dana

Opening citrus note that soon disperses and settles down to a soft woody smell that somehow reminds me of old wooden railway dining cars. You can smell the nostalgia in this.

Tabaróme Millésime by Creed

Nausea bottled. This scent could be amazing if it weren't for the whole ginger root in there. A real pity I think, one of the very very few scents that actually make me feel sick. Ah well.

milamber's avatar

Ultraviolet Man by Paco Rabanne

Paco Rabanne Ultraviolet Man (2001)
    ******************************
    Sometimes the search for unique smells can lead us to create enigmatic new scents that widen our spectrum of olfactory experience. What better way to conceptualise a fragrance then by combining 2 sensory elements, the sense of smell with sight. Colors to be exact. There seems to be an almost mystical link between smell and colors. Smell a rose and we see the color red (though there are many varieties of roses that are not red). Smell aquatic scents and we see blue, the blueness of the sea perhaps. This is where a disjunction can be really grating to the senses. For example, smelling Kenneth Cole Black, i see intense blue, not the black that is implied, not the blackness of rubber tyres as in Bulgari Black or the grittiness of Armani Night. Perhaps it's just me, but do smell it if you ever get a chance and tell me there isn't a note of Cool Water in KCB.

How then do you capture the color of Ultraviolet? Paco Rabanne seems to have done so in their Ultraviolet Man creation. Because links are like hooks that connect in ever expanding tributaries so, the link with ultraviolet is technology and the artificial, the man-made, synergy of syntheticism. There is nothing natural about Ultraviolet man and the marketing hypes on this aspect of it - the smell of technology. In an increasingly synthetic world, syntheticism becomes the object of reverence. Just look at the notes of this scent - grey amber, liquid mint, organic vertiver and moss crystals. None of those notes exist in the real world and don't be fooled by the "organic vertiver" which is probably another way of saying "man-made synthetic verviter", in any case, there isn't a hint of vertiver in Ultraviolet Man anyway.

So, what does Ultraviolet Man smell like? Well, in a nutshell, it smells very sweet. Interestingly, i do get the color ultraviolet in this scent and its a rather sweet color in a very synthetic way. It has no soul in it, very uncomplicated and singular in accord yet has a certain vibrancy to it that is almost teasing but monotonous. It fades very quickly but lingers for hours.

Admirers of artisinal fragrances will curse the creation of such a soulless creature. Devotees of the classics will scoff at the fleeting, ultra-femininity of this scent that dares to call itself "Man". Perhaps only a technophile can appreciate Ultraviolet Man. That said, there are legions of techies today, in a modern world dominated by Apple, IBM, Intel, Microsoft etc... This is probably Bill Gate's signature frag.

1881 by Cerruti

I don't know if there is any other fragrance brand except Cerruti, where I really dislike ALL launches up to date. Just like CerrutiSí and Image, 1881 is an unfinished blend IMO that doesn't know where to go. It never settles down to something harmonious or balanced, just a bunch of soapy, woody notes plus a completely unnecessary rose accord that bounce around each other leaving the wearer uncomfortable. Try Bulgari PH for a brilliant take on a similar idea.

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

Oakmoss has always been one of my least favoured notes along with vetiver, and Drakkar Noir truly reeks of spices and dry oakmoss. I find it bland, one-dimensional and overtly macho in a very negative way. This is outdated stuff that shouldn't be worn by anyone except maybe bearded bikers (and they probably aren't too keen on fragrance anyway...). Stuffy, inasanely strong and often ridiculously over -applied. YUCK!

Herrera for Men by Carolina Herrera

This concept has been done so much better so many times since 1991 that there really is no reason for buying this one. For superior woody tobacco spring for Dolce & Gabbana Ph or Burberry London intead. Outdated.

05 September, 2005 (Last Edited: 15 March, 2006)

Horizon by Guy Laroche

A pleasant surprise from the people behind the horrid Drakkar Noir =).Although this one shares the contour-lines of that 80's beast, that is fortunately their only similarity. Horizon is like a hybrid between Kenzo PH and Extreme Polo Sport - a marine with strong peppery elements. Sticks around forever as well, like many pre Acqua di Gio launches.

Land by Lacoste

Dissapointing early nineties launch that didn't stay in production that long. Reminds of Hugo Boss Elements, both in concept and actual smell. Grab the terrific Booster from the same company instead!

Samba for Men by Perfumer's Workshop

Think Calvin Klein's Escape, but significantly more competent execution. A fruity, masculine musk that I must say still smells very contemporary. The best of the Samba line that does contain quite a few hidden gems.

Samba Nova Homme by Perfumer's Workshop

This male Samba comes in the same the weird shape as the other earlier ones, but the bottle is terra cota with a nice dry finish. The fragrance is ok, opens with strong mint and herbs. The drydown is like a mix of Biagiotti's Roma and Diesel Zero Plus, very woody and with vanilla + strong cinnamon.

Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

There is some cloying element in Zino that never made me embrace it. It also comes across as quite feminine, perhaps the strong rosewood? However it is very recognizeable and original, so I guess it could easily become the signature for anyone who isn't bothered by the aforementioned factors. Imagine Gaultier's Le Male with added florals and a sweet tonka base. It's definitely a quality scent, just not my cup of tea.

Brit for Men by Burberry

Was sceptical about Brit at first, mainly due to what I perceived as lousy staying power. After a few revisits I now find it very nice and actually sporting decent longevity. It's a very subtle scent, modern musk with floral elements, mainly rose. The drydown reveals a spicier side though, and after an hour or so your skin will smell of delicious dry and spicy gingerbread. A nice "grower"-scent. Another hit from this brittish house.

pre007's avatar

Himalaya by Creed

Excellent fragrance! Comes off rather unimpressive at first, but given a few minutes the scent gets intensely distinctive. I've had overwhelmingly positive complements when wearing this fragrance, with the majority of people pointing out they've never smelt anything "quite like it before". I was even complimented by a mall perfume salesman when he noticed I was wearing this Creed fragrance...He looked shocked to notice it on a 22 year old, hehe.

R's avatar

Baie de Genièvre by Creed

Primarily Juniper...Some cinnamon - I can't detect the vetiver. For late fall and Winter.

05 September, 2005 (Last Edited: 11th September, 2009)

R's avatar

Dunhill Edition by Dunhill

A top notch, masculine fragrance. A little too strong on the clove/woodsy notes, so this is probably a bit dated. For the 30+ crowd.

razor_goto's avatar

Joseph Abboud by Joseph Abboud

The notes for this are lemon, orange, basil, bergamot, jasmine, violet, ginger, thyme, chamomile, black pepper, cardamom, ceylon, cedarwood, sandalwood, vetiver, musk and amber.

Ren's avatar

H.M. by Hanae Mori

My absolute favorite oriental, and probably second favorite fragrance overall. I truly adore this one. I totally agree that it's what Angel wanted to be but failed - this is a similar ingredient list, but blended to perfection and topped off with the kiss of elegance, while Angel is just a chaotic mess that not only sits there and does nothing, but will also cost you almost twice as much as Hanae Mori. I've worn both the Eau de Toilette and the Eau de Parfum, and I don't have a clear cut preference as they're both fabulous, but I will say that the Eau de Parfum has richer basenotes and is a bit creamier than the EDT. The lemon and bergamot "pop" in the EDT.

tegg02's avatar

Gant Adventure by Gant USA

This fragrance is just so fresh and addictive; I've dropped Aqua Di Gio in favor of this for now. The fragrance is wonderfully fresh, similar to the Giorgio Armani’s classic, doesn’t have the initial punch of Aqua but seems to last considerably longer. Doesn’t have the femine floral after smell of Aqua either, it’s much more masculine. Has some hints of Cool Water and freshness of Tommy T.
    Try to test this one on its own or at least first up, the fragrance seems to be easily over powered by others when testing, to the point were you can hardly detect it. But alone you will defiantly will know its their and will appreciate its tantalizing qualities.

The bottle is a very light turquoise color which reminds of the water at a tranquil tropical island.

Just released Aug 2005 in Australia and I’m thinking this one will be very popular and have a long future.

Allison_R.'s avatar

Brit by Burberry

I don't detect any pear, but I do smell a yummy nutty vanilla. Mahagony is also in this, which I think gives it, it's depth. I love it. Finally a strong nutty scent that lasts. I'd love to own the lotion and shower gel,and I'd buy this one over again and again!!!

06 September, 2005 (Last Edited: 17 September, 2005)

Allison_R.'s avatar

Tender Touch by Burberry

Starts off very green, and then kind of stays there. Doesn't do very much for me, plus it's so strong I'm afraid I'll give people a headache.

06 September, 2005