Fragrance Reviews from September 2005

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Definitely ok compared to much of the junk released by GA. Decent oriental heavy on woods and tonka, not unlike Le Male impressionwise. Lousy longevity though, and definitely too cheap-smeling in the end to accompany a sweet tux.

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Flawless update of old classics like Tuscany and Azzaro PH. Modernized spicebomb a lá 1970's. Rive Gauche PH manages to sport a very contemporary appeal alongside of the rugged, masculine rawness. I can honestly say nothing else elicits so many positive reactions in the clubs and dancefloors as this one. It just signals that 70's decadence so incredibly well, without smelling one bit stuffy or dated. Tom Ford should be a very respected man for pushing stuff like this and M7 in an era where the the best seller lists include Polo Blue and Davidoff Echoe... One of my top 5 forever.

Island Kiss by Escada

I think Escadas female fragrance developers are the number one experts on fantastic top notes. All these seasonal launches smell unbelievably great when you first try them, I know cause I bought this one for my lady immediately. Once that blast of fresh strawberry and delicious fruit punch settles, the rest isn't as good unfortunately. Still this works great as a "refresher" during the warm months of the year.

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

Just like Paul McCartney's solo work always will be compared to The Beatles, every new Mugler release automatically gets measured alongside of the masterpieces Angel and A*men. That has to be the flipside to such a massive success, how can you possibly match it? Well, simply put, you can't. B*men is a great woody scent, with rhubarb and all kinds of cool notes - still the final impression is a "Diet-A*Men". Now that in itself probaly justifies a purchase for many, and I believe the 2 can co-exist. Just think of B*Men as a new edition more suitable for office and professional enviroment. 4/5 stars.

Magnetism for Men by Escada

Soft, subtle, saffron-scent that should be worn for romantic wear in my honest opinion. This one is very original for coming out in 2004, a warm caress of a fragrance, slightly woody and almost metallic. A big favourite of Basenoters globally, and I can certainly see why. Magnetism is a great blend of the aforementioned notes + leather and white musk - a class act!

Mediterraneo by Carthusia

Mediterraneo opens up with a superb lemon zest, the best there is alongside the original Boucheron according to my personal preference. It smells natural, fresh and is good reminder why citrus is so widely used in perfumery. It then dries down to a quite simple green tea base, delicate and dry. This is not a complex fragrance, but a very nice one in all of it's simplicity. Perfect for hot summer days.

Aria di Capri by Carthusia

This shouldn't be marketed as uni-sex because it's 100% feminine. No guy could get away with this, unless you are wearing D&G's Sicily on a daily basis that is. It is very lovely though, peaches and lillies in a powdery, soft and sweet blend. Best longevity among the Carthusias.

Carthusia Uomo by Carthusia

Quite original offering. It is somewhat aquatic and with a very natural raspberry accord, smells like the real fruits, no synthetic crap. Like all Carthusia's it is a simple blend, but pleasant nevertheless. It reminds me of the early, austere Creeds like Bois de Cedrat and Bigarrade.

Anice by Etro

Too linear and "boozy". Apart from the beautiful flacon Anice has little to offer, just sambuca-smelling cologne, PASS.

M7 Fresh by Yves Saint Laurent

A remake that actually does deserve some attention. This one is quite different from it's big brother, the smokey, oudh-ish, Dr Peppery brown bottle. Fresh has some pronounced citrus, grapefruit mainly, and less of that darkness (that can come across as quite feminine sometimes) so characteristic of the original. Obviously better suited for the summer season.

DKNY Be Delicious Men by Donna Karan

Absolutely vile. Synthetic crap with some bizarre apple and coffee thing going on, anyone liking this surely must be on crack or very low on comparative experience. Please do yourself a favor and stay away from this garbage. And the bare thought that this comes from the same house that gave us the timeless Fuel, Black Cashmere and the pure genius of Chaos says a lot about todays market climate. Saddening.

Liquid Karl by Lagerfeld

Was supposed to be called Hunger at first, mainly cause it smells a lot like bread. But the name was judged too controversial and this EdT was launched together with Lagerfelds clothes collection for Hennes & Mauritz, and was only available for a short time in those stores. It is pretty avant-garde, especially compared to earlier KL fragrances. Starts out just like a spiced loaf of bread (and I mean EXACTLY like bread - unique) but fades into a much more ordinary warm, ambery mix quite rapidly. Traded mine away, thought it was to feminine for me.

Rive Gauche pour Homme Light by Yves Saint Laurent

This one was just unnecessary really. I suspect they only launched it to play around with the colour scheme of the oooh so classic tin cannister. Go for the real deal instead, you won't be dissapointed!

Emporio Armani City Glam for Him by Giorgio Armani

My initial response (from the board) upon sampling this P o S:

Tried it this weekend, what a pathetic excuse of a fragrance. It is 100% the weakest release from Armani up to date, and that does say something. It smells like water+hairspray+faint musk. This is a joke. Cannot in my wildest fantasy imagine that City Glam becomes successfull, it's so bad that no one, NO ONE can buy even the fanciest gimmicks, copywriting etc. A Disgrace!

This was a few weeks ago, since then my hatred for this garbage has only intensified. This represents everything that is wrong with the extreme consumerism of today - to much shallow surface - no Goddamned substance. Aaaaaaargh!

Paul_Hayes's avatar

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

As far as I know, this is the first men's fragrance to use iris as a significant note. It may seem a little flowery in the opening but dries down to a rich, warm fragrance that is like nothing else on the market. This has replaced Michael by Michael Kors as the fragrance whihc makes women ask me, "What is that wonderful smell?" Not for everyone – thankfully – but I'm hooked.

scenteur7's avatar

La Nuit by Paco Rabanne

WOW! This is one of the most ravishing leather scents. Why this was released as a women's scent...well, it WAS 1985...Could easily be re-launched as a men's scent. Notes include: Citrus, Basil, Rose, Oakmoss, Honeyed Woods, Leather, Patchouli.

scenteur7's avatar

Rodier pour Homme by Rodier

A real surprise - basil, cedar, tomato leaf, white woods and white musks create a smooth, elegant scent perfect for any season or occasion and easy to wear. Imagine Boucheron Homme, but toned down and with sweeter wood and musk notes.

Scenturio's avatar

X for Men by Clive Christian

Though there are spicy notes in it, the bergamot seems overrepresented to me, which gives this perfume an almost sticky sweetness. Mingled with hints of cinnamon and cardamom, but in a quite diffuse way, it makes this perfume an ideal companion for baking the christmas cookies. But when it comes to christmas eve, I'd always prefer Frankincense & Myrrh by Czech & Speake.

Burberry for Men by Burberry

While unique, it also seems a bit boring to me. To me, the scent smells great somedays, but can smell pretty synthetic to me, and at times reminds me of being sick for some reason. However, the smell seems to fit nicely on a cool, foggy, rainy day.

Insensé Ultramarine by Givenchy

The only cologne I've ever been truly repulsed by. It truly smells more like rotting grapefruits than an aquatic-citrus scent. I don't know about the lasting power because I felt the need to eradicate all traces of this stuff from my body. Yuck.

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

Wow. Very unique stuff. The top notes are kind of fantasy invoking, which can be a drawback, but is a major plus for me. A friend of mine, who worked in a cigar store, told me that it reminded him of licorice and his favorite vanilla cigars. Girls tend to dig this fragrance, at least in my experience. Definately worth a shot.

Rochas Man by Rochas

The fragrance that kept my girlfriend sniffin'. Rochas Man is similar to A*Men, but is not quite as different/harsh, not to mention this one is easier on the wallet. A must for anyone who digs the smell of chocolate and coffee, it truly does remind me of sipping a hot chocolate in a hip cafe.

The Dreamer by Versace

This may be the most intersting fragrances to me. First off, the package is one of the best I've seen, and the bottle is also cool looking. The fragrance itself took me quite a few testings. To be honest, I don't care for the top notes much, but I find myself continually smelling myself after application. Also, the amber in the drydown really comes out on me, making a WONDERFUL finish for the day. The lasting power is also quite strong. A winner in my book.

Weekend for Men by Burberry

Very nice casual scent. Reminds me of going out on a casual date/get together with friends on the weekend(hence the name). Can be overly citrusy, so be cautious of overapplication, but the ivy note blends nicely if applied correctly.

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Honestly, A*men stunk when i first encountered it. I sprayed it on a sample card, took a whiff and was bombarded with a smell that i'd expect to find in a candy shop. Then I recieved a free sample and took a chance with it. Wore it to the office to see what response I'd get...lo and behold, the mundane candy like scent transformed into something extordinary - a unique scent that left me constantly sniffing my wrists and this particular female co workers couldn't pry her self off me for the rest of the day either (i hope it was more of my personality tho) Great scent!!!

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

I just had to plug a review for this fragrance...wearing it is like putting on a great black jacket that you know everyone else is going to wear (since every sales lady tells male customer that this best seller is loved by the ladies). In fact, i think this scent is so popular because every unoriginally sticky saleslady WILL recommend GIO to every single man that tries to decline her offer to help in the first place. The fact that GIO is a best seller helps to pull in sales too since people want what others want, and men generally want to be safe when they are first venturing into the world of fragrance. ANyways, this scent is a classic for good reason: it's perhaps the most well done aqua/frest fragrance ever formulated. It has a mellon like sweetness combined with a cool scent that can only be described as "ocean-like". The first time I sniffed it, I literally imagined that I was the male model slicking back my damp, Aqua-esque hair back while relaxing on top of the ocean cliffs...carefree dispite the turbulant waves crashing below me.....then i was slapped back to reality by my mom and dragged home to do homework.

Givenchy pour Homme by Givenchy

I'll always check my seat before I leave the bus or subway because one time I forgot to pick up my newly purchased Givenchy Pour Homme as I was rushing off the bus. I loved the sweetness that eminates from this fragrance. It starts off with a mixture of citrus and flowery scent. Then as time moves on, the sweetness fades away into a subtle spicyness followed by a warm woody aroma. My only complaint, like many reviewers, is the staying power of this great fragrance...

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Musk. Nothing but musk. But I love it! It was my signature scent for a while when it first came out. From my experience, it started out with a perfect harmony of saccrine sweentness and darkish spiciness...and then the sweetness leaves, slowly transforming into a very woody scent. A few hours later, Musk and wood dominates...a perfect round-down for a well crafted scent.

Givenchy pour Homme Blue Label by Givenchy

I purchased the Blue Label label when it first came out as a gift set that came w/ an EDT and aftershave. It was money well spent. I find that grapefruit with a splash of citrus was the dominant smell durning the initial stages. Moments after, the citrus is taken over by a welcoming touch of spicy aroma followed by a subtle woody scent. I wore this fragrance along with the antiperisprint when I'm hitting rounds at the tennis court or kicking back at the beach. I think this fragrance is perfect for the younger crowd and ideal for the young at heart as well. two thumbs up!

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

I wear this scent during the day and it lasts until my late night evening engagements. Although the dry down remindes me of soap and that "out of the shower scent" that has been so overwrought and emulated by many other perfumes, Black Code towers above the competition. This fragrance is definitly one of my fav this year