Fragrance Reviews from September 2005

Still by Jennifer Lopez

nice bottle,looks expensive smells sticky sweet much kinder and nicer in body lotion

Hugo Energise by Hugo Boss

apparently is supposed to be stimulating and a mild aphrodisiac because it use cocoa

07 September, 2005 (Last Edited: 10th September, 2005)

212 Sexy by Carolina Herrera

love it love it love it love it
    so tasty you could eat it

Stella by Stella McCartney

There are distinct phases to Stella. The top note is my least favorite--a rose water reminiscent to me of dime store stuff. Then there is an intermission where I lose track of the fragrance, followed by a delicious, deep phase. My flacon of Guerlain's With Love will not be replaced by Stella. With Love's rose quality (apparent in the middle and base notes) is extraordinarily compelling to me. Of course, I find carrots to be rose-like in some ways, so maybe I'm unsophisticated and would be satisfied with Demeter Carrot. I'll use up my Stella sample by layering it with Mira Bai or Jo Malone Orange Blossom.

sclausen's avatar

Love is all by Guerlain

This is my new favorite scent! Everytime I wear it I get compliments and tell everyone what it is. Its a light scent, fruity, with something else... a bit on the sharp side. Love to wear it in spring and early summer.

I bought it at the DeGaulle Airport in Paris while passing through to Italy. The saleslady told me it was only available there and it was a limited edition. I hesitated, in case she was fibbing, but she was right, I have not been able to find it anywhere!

Other scents I like are Romance & Happy.

wicozani's avatar

Blu pour Homme by Bulgari

That is a [i]fine[/i] way to step aside from all the vetiver you've been trying lately, Sir!, said my valet, obviously pleased in an olfactory sense with my selection for the day. And he should be, for Blu Pour Homme is a wonderful newer release.

[b]Blu Pour Homme[/b] has a lot to recommend it, from the ginger and cardamom opening, underlined by juniper, to the langorous evolution that features wood, tobacco, and musk, Blu Pour Homme is evocative, luxurious, self-assured, and appropriate for nearly any occasion. Another big hit from Alberto Morillas and our friends at Bulgari!

Wicozani

Allison_R.'s avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 5 Sherbet: Rhubarb by Comme des Garçons

I agree with all the reviews posted. I feel like a princess when I wear it, because I've found something so unique and special!

Allison_R.'s avatar

Black for Her by Kenneth Cole

I actually really like this perfume. It reminds me of a day at the beach. If you want an amazing amber scent try Issey Miyake Le Feu D'Issey Light. Wow is that a beautiful yummy scent.

bakhmet's avatar

Vetiver by Guerlain

Took a risk with this one and bought it over the internet based on curiousity. I'm glad I did, because I love this one. It's simple, fresh and feels like I can wear it anytime of day, for any season. Also, great to wear to work. I live in the Pacific Northwest, and this really seems to be an "appropriate" fragrance for the area. Very green.

c-men's avatar

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

The top notes wear off rather quickly and once the fragrance settle down it show a somewhat lack of/linear development on the skin. I can see the connection to L’instant pour Homme by Guerlain but the scents are not identical and this become evident on the dry-down were L’instant turn out to be a bit bitter and Dior Homme remains smoothly balanced against the cocoa and the amber with good sillage close to the skin. So is this another “generic” fragrance for men? The answer must with no doubt be “NO”. Sniffing this from my wrist, I find it hard to believe that this is a mens fragrance. It even reminds me of some dated female fragrance already out there. Heidi Slimane is taking a huge risk to release the most feminine fragrance, wearing the letters “homme” on the label, to this date. A scent mostly for the androgynous rock star-wannabe. However,that should be consider a good thing. Four stars out of five.

Carolina by Carolina Herrera

As lushly refined as I would expect anything from the house of Carolina Herrera to be, this fragrance is in a class with Hanae Mori and some of the better Ungaro scents. If you seek something that portrays fruit in an uber-sophisticat grown-up light rather than a sugary teenaged way - a basket of picture-perfect strawberries from Dean and Deluca, say, versus a Jolly Rancher candy (both of which have their merits, by the way!) - give this one a whirl. The fruit notes are just sweet enough, the woods and musk are caressing, and the dash of pepper is tailored and crisp. It's a bit too formal for casual wear, in my opinion; I'm all for mixing it up but I feel as though pairing this with jeans and a t-shirt would just be too odd of a juxtaposition, even for me. It's pure, strong femininity, nothing even remotely androgynous or quirky about it.

Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana

Probably the best of the "citrus- fruit-cedar summer scents" (see also Trussardi Skin, L'Artisan Zeste D'Ete and Guerlain Eau de Fleurs Cedrat, among many others) out there. I'm not a fan of cedar as a fragrance note - I like it in other incarnations, just not on my person - but what Light Blue manages to do is balance out the hard-to-handle sharpness of cedar's essence with several other notably soft, smoothing elements like apple, jasmine sambac (the sweet, warm kind) and bamboo. All of these are mellow yet sturdy enough to keep the cedar from completley taking the spotlight. The topnote of citron gives the composition its crispness, of course, but after that it becomes a fairly sensual skin scent. There is a tiny hint of the unisex in here that I think is a semi-hallmark of many of D&G's womens' fragrances; the same could be said of By (the one for women) and even - go ahead, call me crazy - Sicily, albeit to a really very minor extent.

Jean Paul Gaultier Classique by Jean Paul Gaultier

As a designer, Jean-Paul is one of my all-time favorites - the few pieces I have of his are exquisite beyond words - but this signature scent has sadly never worked on me. I always get the dreaded "eau de nailpolish" thing and an oppressive blast of sandalwood (not an "official" note but it must be in here somewhere - it seems to be hiding in plain sight). It's an extremely severe fragrance, very sharp and commanding, highly defined, perhaps like the fit of Gaultier's classic corset silhouette. I've only used the EDT, by the way; one of these days, I need to try the EDP and see how it differs, as the lineup of notes appears to be quite different. It goes without saying that the bottle and the metal "drum cannister" container are genius.

Nirmala by Molinard

Often compared to Angel, this one is similar but different. It's got the same characteristic heat - some might call it *ahem* body heat or even *sorry Angel and Nirmala fans* odor - but as best I can tell from all the note descriptions I've seen of Nirmala, that sense comes from its grapefruit topnote as opposed to a patchouli basenote. (Side reflection - amazing how those two notes can resemble each other; they are both STRONG and literally come to blows in a Samurai style dual in Aqua Allegoria Pampleplune, one of the most singularly offensive fragrances I've ever smelled.) Oily as it is, the grapefruit never goes away but rather blends down into the fruity heart of the fragrance, ultimately bottoming out on a drift of sandalwood and cedar (another "hello, can you smell ME?!" note in my book.) I just can't pretend to like this fragrance, as it does nothing for me but make me smell unbathed. Oh well, can't wear 'em all.

Vanille by Molinard

How do you review perfection? Of course, you have to be a card-carrying admirer of vanilla to love the geniusness of Molinard Vanille - it IS sweet (even sugary), it IS warm and it's most definitely long-lasting. Rather than getting straight "bean" here with its liquory tones and resinous feel, the Molinard is more like vanilla that's already been incorporated into something delicious and ever-so-slightly caramelized. There's nothing else there to interfere with its sweet nature - no powder, no floral, no nothin'. A simple scent it is, but irresistible. And as a layering scent, forget about it - this is the ultimate layer-er. I can't tell you how many fragrances I'd given up on until I layered them with Molnard Vanille and gave them new lives. I've gone through five bottles of this stuff in four years; it is to my fragrance collection what black pants and a good bag are to my wardrobe.

Orange-Cannelle by Molinard

Nothing complicated here. If you've ever sniffed a pomander ball - an orange studded with cloves and then left to dry - you've got this fragrance pretty well figured out, though the cinnamon is slightly less piquant than clove might be. This is a clean, clear scent that requires quite a lot of application if you expect it to radiate beyond your immediate personal space. And luckily, unlike many fragrances that prominently include cinnamon, this has none of the rash-inducing qualities that often result from that particular note (at least on me, and my skin tends to be fairly sensitive to such things.) There is something masculine about this, too; I really feel it would smell better on a man. It has a slightly bracing about it.

Vanille Fruitée by Molinard

Somehow, despite my near-rabid adoration of Molinard's basic vanilla, I don't like this one so much. Got to credit the folks at Molinard, though; there's nothing like a traditional Grasse perfumer to know how to play with notes. Unlike a lot of other vanilla-plus-something-else scents that start with the something else and then dry down to plain vanilla (yes, CSP, I'm talking about you - love you and all, but still), this one starts with vanilla as a TOPnote and then progresses into a fairly complex base, one unified by the vanilla yet more involved than the name of the fragrance would indicate. You get a definite tropical floralness from the ylang ylang/orchid/jasmine heart, and a ribbon of grapey wine from the muscat and osmanthus. The only thing I can't pick up on is the lemon, which here serves as an unorthodox basenote. Vanilla as a topnote, lemon as a base - that has got to be a first! It's like Shalimar in reverse. So anyway, what's not to love? I'm not sure, but I think it has something to do with the grape aspect. It's just not a note I enjoy, for whatever reason.

Bella Donna by Demeter Fragrance Library

Wearing this is such a strange experience - it applies so heavily with that sort of power-powder-floral salvo that gets you thinking, "Uh-oh, is my head going to explode in fifteen minutes?" Yet, no more than 30 minutes later, it has essentially evanesced. Like all Demeter fragrances I've ever worn, Belladonna does not have - and does not seem to be designed to have - any staying power at all. And that's fine, even in this case; it's just surprising, seeing as it has such a heavy rose-powder presence with edges laced in purplish-black violet. It's the sort of thing one would expect to linger longer, that's all. It's also a sort of a "training fragrance" if you're interested in cultivating your taste for very vixen-y, femme fatale florals - like Vivienne Westwood Boudoir, for instance. Boudoir and Belladonna are very, very similar, right down to the cold metallic tinge they share. The only difference, at least for me, is that I can wear Belladonna without hitting headache central, a place that Boudoir sends me to every single time.

Gerald's avatar

Germany Germany

Honeysuckle & Jasmine by Jo Malone

Well, another case of being caught in the "boy's scent - girl's scent" trap. Although I love honeysuckle notes and take also to jasmine, I neglected this Jo Malone gem for a long time because it's indicated as a female fragrance and I presumed it had to be too sweet, too candy, too powdery (damn stereotypes...). Then I sampled it and found out this was one of the best summer scents I know. It's soft, warm, floral, clean and definitely suitable for women and men. Not too complex but nevertheless very well-crafted. The balance of honeysuckle, sandalwood and light jasmine is perfect. The only drawback is its longevity. But I own the (excellent) body lotion, and if you apply lotion and colgne it lasts all day.

John.com's avatar

Wellington Cologne by Geo F Trumper

Very, VVeeery similar to Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet with bracing pine and spices. Not a negative quality at all mind you. Very Clean...

John.com's avatar

New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

Awesome. Like walnut pancakes in a downtown cafe. This is one luxurious gourmond.

Leo's avatar

Innocent by Thierry Mugler

Just like Angel for a tiny bit, then it bisects and, while keeping a somewhat spicy tobaccoish base, not unlike D&G pour Homme's, starts speaking the tongue of synthetic food flavors - namely, fake apple and fake raspberry (very much like car deodorizer...). This has to be the epitome of the post-gourmet fragrance, in that it pushes the 'real' edible thing one further level away: it evokes an imitation of a real thing.

Paul G's avatar

Kiehl's Original Musk by Kiehl's

Brilliant!!! It's essentially a poor man's Musk Ravageur. It starts off animalic with a huge blast of patchouli. However after a half hour or so it warms up and sweetens up and becomes a truly wonderful scent that is a great bargain at $59 for 100ml. It also works wonderful in a diffuser as a room scent.

Mitsouko by Guerlain

After reading volumes about the legendary Mitsouko and finally landing a sample vial, I'd like to believe that I just need to mature in my tastes. At this point, though, I have to report that Mitsouko is bitter and too spicy for me. I can't cultivate an appreciation for spices. I've tried. If you're not keen on them either, skip this classic. I have issues with aldehydes, too. (Go ahead, look down your refined noses at me!)

Shalimar by Guerlain

[Erases former review.] I've grown up. Shalimar is all wonder and magic.

08 September, 2005 (Last Edited: 11th November, 2009)

Prada (new) by Prada

Reviewer Serpent said, "Amber is the star here." I think it's a double billing co-starring patchouli. I like the dry, woody quality, just as I crave tannin-rich, oak-aged wines. But the scent seems incomplete to my palate. I'd like to consume its notes á là carte, removing one or two and adding something else. In other words, I won't be buying any beyond the sample vial I have. Yes, this could be a unisex fragrance.

Obsession Night by Calvin Klein

I didn't care for the original Obsession, yet I like Prada, which everyone compares to Obsession. I like CKbe and CK One on my fella. Contradiction was okay, but I have not been tempted to purchase a Klein fragrance until Obsession Night for women. It's a soft, feminine floral built on CK's traditional base. I appreciate the bergamot, vanilla, tonka bean, amber and sandalwood, topped off by the rose and gardenia which make it feel womanly. Husband gives this the nod, too. If you sorta liked the above-mentioned CK fragrances, try this one, which is also available in a men's product, too.

Promesse by Cacharel

Yes, it's pretty, but so are dozens of other fragrances. At least it doesn't give off that soapy "taste" I get from Alfred Sung's Shi and Pure. A delicate, safe fragrance for a young woman, but nothing innovative.

R's avatar

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Very useful. Though I doubt this can be worn in public/office settings.

08 September, 2005 (Last Edited: 11th September, 2009)

ratri's avatar

1903 by J Peterman

When this first came out, I sniffed a scent strip in the J. Peterman catalog and knew I had to buy it for my husband. I am so glad I did! (And so is he!) This is THE sexiest cologne I've ever smelled. To me, it smells exactly like a man should. It has the leather, tobacco, woody, and resin notes that make me want to just attach myself to his neck permanently. The aftershave balm is just as wonderful (and great for sensitive skin as it soothes skin, rather than burns it with alcohol). I also love its uniqueness and hope, like Docwinters, that not too many people catch on! I make sure my husband ALWAYS has a bottle of this.