Fragrance Reviews from January 2006

ajax's avatar

The Dreamer by Versace

a whiff of lily (mon dieu!)in a mens fragrance and the ability to be masculine throughout with the edgy amber notes tousled with tobacco, lasting till you wash it off, stealing sniffs at your wrists in the meantime wondering what note you'd catch, a winner monsieurs ! a formal fragrance one might add, a fitting finish to a well cut suit.

flee's avatar

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Although it smelt like bug spray on me, I've smelt it on others and it smells pretty good. So now I have a change of heart with black code.

01st January, 2006 (Last Edited: 14 March, 2006)

lefay's avatar

Crystal Noir by Versace

Crystal Noir is described as a gardenia and amber fragrance, and although I smell those notes there's something else going on, too. It's more complex than it seems initially (and I was prepared to dismiss this as a one-dimensional modern oriental); it develops on my skin into something deep, smoky, not at all powdery, with a touch of a balsamic atmosphere way under the surface. It's not one of those passion-invoking classic orientals for me, but nonetheless subtle, warm, and quite sensual.

scentualfox's avatar

No. 5 by Chanel

What a classic! It's unique yet instantly recognizeable aroma and the chic bottle are here to stay. This timeless, elegant fluid of goldwas created almost 85 years ago but still standing strong and un surpassed.
    I loves the aldehydes twists on jasmine, rose, ylang-ylang and neroli; the complexity of its innovative formulation is undenialably the most glamourous and sensual scent ever created by mankind.
    I know nobody who wears No5, i discovered No5 myself and had been spoiling myself with the EDP and bath oil, not to mention using No5 to scent my room( on aromatherapy hotstone) and bed linen.
    Its powdery and leathery dry down seems to linger very well on my skin; somewhat animalistic yet chic, wild yet cultured.
    I just hope that there will be another great perfume that could come close to this luxurious scent; we have been waiting for more than 80 years now!

sylwia's avatar

Cabaret by Grès

Mmmmm, beautiful woody, sultry scent with peony and slight rose. Absolutely not a straight rose but deep, woody, smoky, incense-rose-peony. A little musty? But actually I love it! Very Sexy and sophisticated scent.

takemyhusbandplz's avatar

Safari by Ralph Lauren

A romantic, long lasting woody classic. If you can find all the other matching body products be sure to indulge! The packaging is beautiful too; heavy cut glass containers with ornate pewter lids. This scent is heavenly and long lasting. For some reason Safari always reminds me of the movie Out of Africa.

tamyana's avatar

Black Cashmere by Donna Karan

one of the most amazing fragrances out there. warm incense. mmmmmmm :)

womble's avatar

Vetiver by Guerlain

Superb scent from the rush of lemon with tobacco,
    to the earthy dry down. Then I get a curious sweetness not constant or strong just very mild,comes and goes, did`nt think I would take to the earthy smell but love it.Very glad I got this one

bluenativesun's avatar

360 Degrees for Men by Perry Ellis

I purchased this fragrance in 1999 and I wasn't too impressed with it at the time, so I gave it away...what a mistake. My underdeveloped sense of smell made me give away a real winner. Now I love this fragrance, an A in my book

Galbanum's avatar

Allure Homme by Chanel

very excellent, once the commonplace topnotes dissipate - very true. I found the fragrance very not-so-special at the first go but when it develops on the skin it is just amazing. I finished off the entire 100 ml edt and the cooling gel in spring/summer. What's more everyone was asking me what I was wearing. it made me feel really special. For those who want to try it only applying it on your skin will do.

Galbanum's avatar

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

It is a woody oriental par excellance. It is my all favourite fragrance and given my passion for it it is most likely to remain my companion for the rest of my life.

Hypnotize's avatar

True Star Men by Tommy Hilfiger

It's a nice cologne that smells great, but the first faze of the scent is kind of “wet” and not so pleasant in my opinion, but as the scent settles on your skin it smells great. I just bought it today, so I can't really comment on how long it lasts, but I think it's quite long, because I can still smell the little spray I did on my wrist at the store about two hours ago.

ilnaso's avatar

Unforgivable by Sean John

tried "unforgivable" today in Saks...surprisingly a very nice fragrance...loved the citrus notes and I usually do not like citrus...a very meditteranian fragrance

Otto's avatar

Bermuda Bermuda

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

Well I tell ya...I really really love this scent and I would wear it all year round...can't wait to get the shower gel...when I wear it I get rave comments and reviews....

teflondog's avatar

Ambre / Amber by L'Occitane

Simple amber scent. It sort of reminds me of the drydown of Opium PH but without the spice. Unlike other frags that contain amber, this doesn't have that clay-like accord in it. It's pretty good considering the relatively low price. I believe a 100 ml bottle retails around $40. It's just too bad that it doesn't come in EDP strength because it fades rather quickly.

teflondog's avatar

Bleecker Street by Bond No. 9

This is a tough one to pin down. It first struck me as a fougere but dried down to something oriental. Starts out smelling citrussy and floral, then develops into a smooth amberry caramel note. Lasting power is superb as with many Bond scents. I sprayed some on my wrist and could still smell it clearly the next morning. The tester card even held its scent for over a month.

Shycat's avatar

Park Avenue by Bond No. 9

Somehow the sum of the parts is less than one would hope. I experience an ascetically sweet,lemon heavy tea fragrance. It is also slightly floral, a bit soapy and then a bit powdery. It was a disappointment to me, as is Bond #9 as a whole so far. The notes seem a bit jarring to me, and almost seem to jar one another as if accidentally trapped on a broken elevator. Each one is inconvienanced and wishing to be on its way to more congenial company.

Christoph_Georg's avatar

Alain Delon / AD by Alain Delon

Its a great one. I has a touch of 80s thats true, though its very different at the same time. It has no leather smell or any such heavy, disturbing, typical 80s ingredients. Its sweet and has a certain charm. Its among Alain Delon's best, thats for sure! Long lasting and very special.

Christoph_Georg's avatar

Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger

This cologne is a typical victim of marketing. Because what was "in" and "hipe" in the mid 90s is "out" and "dated" now.
    I dont really get that. How communication and presentation can influence a smell is amazing. In this case the marketing worked in short term but failed in long term.
    So lets take purely the scent itself> refreshing yet warm, comforting, sparkling, optimistic.
    It puts me in good mood. The one for casual, feel good moments. Its important though to use it moderately. I think lots of people are simply putting on to much and this is putting off others. For me it works around christmas time and in colder weather. It think it was a trend setter and not a trend follower.
    If you approach it with no prejudice you will have a pleasant suprise and a bright fragrance.

03 January, 2006 (Last Edited: 19 December, 2006)

Euphoria by Calvin Klein

My guy's exact words when he smelled this on me were, "You smell like dirt! ...I like it!" It was hilarious, but I took it as a compliment. What he really meant was that he loves being in the great outdoors and it reminded him of his favourite wilderness scents.

Chance by Chanel

This a scent that women and men can agree on. My boyfriend really likes the smell of patchouli which I usually find a bit overwhelming, but in this case the mix worked for both of us.

Promesse by Cacharel

Very Pretty. I haven't been a huge fan of florals, but this one is also fruity and its scent is relaxing. I wore it to bed and my boyfriend loved it - I was like his little aromatherapy doll.

lefay's avatar

Eau des Merveilles by Hermès

I really had high hopes for this (had sampled it on a paper strip), since I like to try gender-nonspecific fragrances, but I feel let down. Despite the "upside down" pyramid, on my skin this releases a blast of orange (lollipop) to start, which quickly gives way to a warm, somewhat blah woody accord with what smells like a hint of musk (maybe the ambergris). I just applied it a half hour ago, and the EDT is already fading away. Not bad, exactly -- it's inoffensive enough -- but not something I would buy again.

03 January, 2006 (Last Edited: 08 March, 2006)

nase's avatar

Germany Germany

Mat; Chocolat by Masakï Matsushïma

Really shocking sweet (in a delicious way) - like inhaling a cherry brandy filled chocolate cream. Unwearable for me, but a real enrichmeht for the universe of scents and surely one of the most direct and plain gourmand scents ever.

NewSniffer's avatar

Baldessarini Del Mar by Baldessarini

my first entry into the world of fragrances. as i've mentioned elsewhere, after smelling all the armanis, burberrys, hugos, etc. i came back to the smooth, understated spicyness of this one.

Redcomet's avatar

Givenchy pour Homme by Givenchy

This opens with a pretty distinct Grapefruit smell that lingers throughout. It ends (quite quickly) with a bit of a woody drydown with the grapefruit mingling in there creating an odd combination. Not absolutely horrible, but not as good as I expected.

Once again, lasts around half an hour if you're lucky.

shifts's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Heliotrope by Etro

So soft, subtle and simple, yet amazingly beautiful. Warm and comforting and suprisingly light. I think MonkeyManMatt's description was right on.

shifts's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

I'm defiantely giving this one thumbs up, even though I was more in love with it to begin with than I am now after owning it a few months. Nice enough to get a good grade though. Sweet, bubblegumish, vanilic and a bit dirty.

Trotsky's avatar

England England

Sybaris by Antonio Puig

Although I am a little older than late 30s I love this fine and rich creation. I certainly agree that it is potent - I could only track down the aftershave spray but it has the lasting qualities of at least an EDT! It has that typical slightly pungent Puig note, but here it is well under control allowing the warm, rich notes to win through. Superb!

womble's avatar

Quercus by Penhaligon's

great scent starts off with citrus with a dry down of wood and musk, light and fresh this is an elegant fragrance as this is a sample i`m hoping a full bottle will be just as good definitely a good buy