Fragrance Reviews from January 2006

Fig Leaf by Demeter Fragrance Library

Like all the Demeter fragrances, this is very short-lived. It's not a very involved fig leaf - Diptyque's Philosykos is much more evocative - and there's a very strong note of coconut. It's still fun, and it's inexpensive - nice for summer on the patio with a cocktail.

Patchouly by Etro

A dark, earthy, sensuous patchouli - and it lasts for ages. Beautiful, almost sticky-smelling, resinous fragrance, and, strangely, doesn't make me think of hippies.

Vetiver by Guerlain

A rootsy, earthy vetiver with a citrus breath of a topnote which mellows to soft, comfortable grasses. Glorious - my favourite vetiver.

steveharrisonmc's avatar

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

I like this one. It's actually a rather unique fragrance. Although they fluff up their notes to make it sound more exotic than it really is, it has a nice top note of dates which blends nicely with the spices and the coriander to give it some pop. On dry down it has a slight vanilla/amber combination that sits calmly radiating a warmth and sweetness that I find to be very alluring. Thumbs up.

sylwia's avatar

Bois d'Iris by The Different Company

This is fabulous woody iris scent. Mysterious and deep. Soft and elegant. A little bit too spicy for me but I love it anyway.

totalparfumlove's avatar

Angel by Thierry Mugler

Erm...I thought the bottle was really really cute. The guy at the department store said that most girls my age (high school) bought it because it was a sweet kind of "gobble me up" kind of scent. But for me it was really kind of too sweet and gave me a bit of a headache!

Cinéma by Yves Saint Laurent

I have changed my mind about Cinema after some years of deep perfume-interest. This is a great parfume, not at all a so-so-scent, as I thougted before! It is a lovely almond, elegant and not so loud, a little creamy, longlasting and truly beautiful. So finally I got myself a whole bottle, and I do enjoy it deeply right now, during spring. I hope this one always will be in the perfume-stores!

14th January, 2006 (Last Edited: 05th April, 2011)

Cristobal by Balenciaga

This is the fragans that started my perfume-mania! It was so very beautiful, so I wanted to learn about all other perfumes, too, to find out if there was even more beautiful perfumes. After four years of perfume-addiction, Cristobal is still great for me! No other perfume is beautiful in the same way as Cristobal. It is quite heavy, so I don´t use it so often, but it has a place in my wardrobe for ever! I am incresing my number of bottles since a year now, but Cristobal is still there!
    It is an autumn/winter-fragans, and an evening, too, yet not too strong. Very warm and elegant. Stays on for very many hours. Fond of the vanilla, who becomes lovely together with the other components. The bottle is a real beauty!

14th January, 2006 (Last Edited: 06th October, 2011)

green_man's avatar

Cool Water by Davidoff

I used to wear this one alot as a teenager. I found it to be pleasantly mellow and it lasted well on my skin. I haven't wore it for some time, but I have a feeling that I am saving my bottle for a rainy day. This one does resemble Green Irish Tweed. That being said, it is not as complex or refined as GIT, but it seems to last longer than GIT, and at least to me, doesn't feel like a cheap knock-off of GIT either. This one has received more compliments for me than any other fragrance. It may not be as high brow as some of the other scents around here, but for a reasonably priced cologne that any guy can find at a local department store, it does it's job magnificently.

green_man's avatar

Vetiver by Guerlain

Absolutely, definitely, assuredly, NOT for me. I wore this three times, and each time I actually felt nausea setting in. One night, I kept sniffing my wrist in an attempt to find at least one pleasant note... The result was a queasy stomach and a headache. I didn't find anything fresh about it, but my wife stated it just smelled like a nasty soap. She said it was nothing special, and even struck her as gross. I have a strong sense of smell, and this one was just way too offensive for me. I was disappointed, because I enjoy green scents as I am an outdoorsman/ naturalist, and based on other reviews here, I thought that I was going to love this one. I guess that yet again, I go against the majority vote. This fragrance is to me, what Kryptonite is to Superman. Result: F-

helenann's avatar

Joy by Jean Patou

My mother brought back a gold metal flask of Joy parfume from Grasse nearly thirty years ago. This was the most beautiful fragrance I had ever smelt. I still have the little flask and same fragrance still lingers there. I purchased Joy in solid perfume and this is so similar. Warm and comforting. The sharp, sour notes are certainly there now in my 45ml bottle of Eau De Joy which is quarter full after twenty years. Yes, I have rushed to the bathroom to wash wrists immediately after spraying. Most disappointing in this form.

helenann's avatar

Aromatonic by Lancôme

Liked it enough to buy at the time, but after short use green notes were too green, and not pleasant. I use it now as an air freshener only!

Indie_Guy's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 1 Leaves: Calamus by Comme des Garçons

Calamus is one of the most natural smelling green scents I've ever smelled. Its a milky kind of green. I read somewhere that the calamus plant is one of those tall plants like those that grow on the edge of ponds. People used to chew on its roots and supposedly Walt Whitman's "Leaves of Grass" was inspired by calamus.

I was expecting this Comme des Garcons fragrance to be really odd, but I was astounded at the positive comments by people who picked up the bottle and smelled it. They loved it. My brother wears it all the time. One friend was impressed with it and asked if it contained pheromones.

milky, powdery, and green like the dew on morning leaves- If you were an active child who loved playing outdoors in the grass, whacking your way through the tall weeds with a whiffle-ball bat, I promise you Calamus will be a very nostalgic fragrance for you.

Indie_Guy's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 2 Red: Sequoia by Comme des Garçons

Sequoia begins a bit tart and spicy. A bit like candy apple. A leafy green flits around in the red. In the topnotes, you can really pick up the rum note- kind of a mouthwatering, intoxicating quality. Then you start to get the mulchy red wood smells. There is a nice Agarwood note in there too and it reminds me of an incense I like to burn. This scent has some similarities with Palisander, But while Palisander is a palpable plank of wood across the nose (in a good way), Sequoia is more of an ambient headspace of the aura of a forest. Very wearable. It smells very relaxed, like napping in a log cabin or lying back in a canoe in the middle of a quiet lake on a sunny day.

It's like summer camp in a bottle!

Innocence's avatar

Pleasures Intense by Estée Lauder

After seeing a female friend wear it I must say that i'm not particularly partial towards this fragrance. In my opinion, it is too sweet; and the added 'spice' is not put in proportion - resulting in no balancing force. I also think that it is too floral and masking. However, the production and the bottling seems appealing. I'd advise that people go and get a sampler before they purchase this fragrance!

JDBIII's avatar

Comme des Garçons 2 by Comme des Garçons

Totally unique. This is quite strong on me and changes very little on the drydown. I easily get eight hours of wear out of it. People seem to love it or hate it. One friend said it smelled like the ocean, while another found it quite sweet. I don't wear it often, but when the mood is right it is a unique accompaniment to the day.

JDBIII's avatar

Vetiver by Lorenzo Villoresi

Wow. What a surprise. I have never smelled anything like this. This fragrance is rich and warm and takes the vetiver full throttle. Guerlain and Carven call theirs vetiver but then try to cover it up. Not Villoresi. If you love vetiver, this is a must.

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

I cannot understand why some people like that! It is too strong, too spicy!
    Soe think it is typically male... I think it is disgusting

Higher by Christian Dior

Another fresh and boring fragrance... nothing special... simply fresh

Hugo Dark Blue by Hugo Boss

A synthetic too sweet lemonade-jellybear fragrance

Vetiver by Guerlain

The nicest Vetiver Fragrance of all! Really great!
    I love it. The reactions of other people are quite complex... some people hate it, and say that it is terrible! Mothballs and things like that!!! But there are also people who fall instantly in love with that Fragrance... Well I LOVE IT!

Higher Energy by Christian Dior

A little bit more Citrus then in Higher... but definitly nothing special!

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

Really a great Fragrance! Its really something new!
    I love it... I think it is sometimes fruity, sometimes you smell some citrus accords, sometimes some jasmine, some patchouli -- always elegant. A complex Fragrance

loungeboy's avatar

Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is one fragrance that has won me over in a big way. My initial impression of it wasn't that great. I smelled patchouli burnished with a rosey glow which was nice enough but hardly anything mesmerizing. Yet I kept trying the scent and found that the smell of the earthy patchouli was really very comforting. It really was begining to remind me trips to the nursery and cultivating roses. Wearing it one sultry weekend, really helped me find the "boozy" quality of the plums and sweetness of the roses that can be found here. Now I truly love the way this smells. I guess this is really all about perception because without knowing a single thing about this fragrance my SO says I smell "like tea" when I wear it. And he is right! It is another perfectly valid interpretation. I think if you dislike patchouli, this scent won't go about changing your mind but if all the "buzz" has caught your interest you owe it to yourself to give it a shot.

Ispahan by Yves Rocher

Not so expensive, not so exklusive, and yet a very nice fragans, a bit oriental. Well worth the price!

Venise / Venice by Yves Rocher

This is not an expensive fragans, and the smell is of course not so very exclusive, but it is very nice anyhow. It is warm and a little mysterious, very well worth the price!

Attraction by Lancôme

Oh, no, this one must get a "thumb up" too! It's a beautiful, lovely fragans, with great personality, as Lancome-fraganses usulaly have. It's flowery but also has vanilla, amber and musk in it. It's a very good all-round-fragans, disctere enough for daytime wear, exiting enough for evenings! The bottle is pretty, too!

musky_monkey's avatar

Gingembre by Roger & Gallet

Very much in the tradition of Mugler Cologne.
    Fresh & clean - great for a hot and humid day.

scenteur7's avatar

Montaigne by Caron

Rich, warm and gorgeous! An incredibly beautiful amber and floral scent with a soft powdery sandalwood in the base. I have the parfum and find it perfect for a sophisticated cool weather evening. Though some have called it opulent and feminine, I find it works well on my male skin.

scenteur7's avatar

Must de Cartier by Cartier

Magnificent - one of my favorite scents - a grassy green vanilla with a mere hint of florals and a nice blend of vetiver and musk. Perfect for oriental lovers.